• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shooting at GOP baseball practice, multiple injured incl/ Maj. Whip Scalise

azyless

Your saying a normal person would grab some assault rifles and start mowing down people in a blind rage?

This guy apparently has some sort of history of violence, there a flags that either should be picked up with gun regulations and mental health evaluations, if we had stricter guidelines on prevention
Yes, you don't have to be mentally ill to be violent. Says me, common sense, and every other study out there.
There's far more of a correlation between violence and being male than there is between violence and being mentally ill.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yes, you don't have to be mentally ill to be violent. Says me, common sense, and every other study out there.
There's far more of a correlation between violence and being male than there is between violence and being mentally ill.

you do have to be mentally imbalanced to take a gun and decide that you were going to kill people as your solution to a problem that is out of the norm. That is by definition not the mind of a rational thinking person.

We saw it with the Virginia tech shooter, the Giffords shooter as well, a pattern of obsession or imbalances that were not followed up on.

hannity in an unusual showing of common sense has stated that the recent shooting is not Bernie Sanders fault. And and in a completely typical fashion. breitbart readers are loosing there s*it, he is now a "liberal" traitor.

This extreme partisanship needs to stop on both sides, it's time that anyone else but the Dems and the gop get elected next time as it's getting to far out of hand

Its impossible for the partisanship to stop as long as the GOP are trying to actively kill millions of people. Not with guns but with government policies they can enact.

In all the media hoopla over the russia shit, people apparently forgot that the senate GOP were trying to ram through their version of the healthcare bill with reconciliation with no Democratic input or transparency toward anything inside of said bill.

azyless

you do have to be mentally imbalanced to take a gun and decide that you were going to kill people as your solution to a problem that is out of the norm. That is by definition not the mind of a rational thinking person.
That's your wrong opinion again. You can continue stigmatizing mental illness as long as you want but every study out there disagrees with you.

Inuhanyou

That's your wrong opinion again. You can continue stigmatizing mental illness as long as you want but every study out there disagrees with you.

I don't understand why you are so insistent on doubling down on claiming that a person would just pick up an assault rifle and mow people down without any mental duress, disturbance or mental issue.

He was obviously very into politics for a long time, very obsessed with it, and he used guns like nobodies business in his rural town, those are two warning signs right there.

I mean, i don't even get the point you are making. Maybe if he had been flagged in some way, he would not have been able to get the semi automatic in the first place

But according to you, nothing can be planned or predicted, and so its just a reality that should not be investigated any further

azyless

I don't understand why you are so insistent on doubling down on claiming that a person would just pick up an assault rifle and mow people down without any mental duress, disturbance or mental issue.

He was obviously very into politics for a long time, very obsessed with it, and he used guns like nobodies business in his rural town, those are two warning signs right there.

I mean, i don't even get the point you are making. Maybe if he had been flagged in some way, he would not have been able to get the semi automatic in the first place

But according to you, nothing can be planned or predicted, and so its just a reality that should not be investigated any further
I'm responding to your claim that "you have to be mentally ill to shoot people up". Being under duress is not mental illness.
Those are warning signs that he's violent, not that he's mentally ill.

Nowhere does this show that "you have to be mentally ill to be violent".

I'm responding to your claim that "you have to be mentally ill to shoot people up". Being under duress is not mental illness.
Those are warning signs that he's violent, not that he's mentally ill.

Nowhere does this show that "you have to be mentally ill to be violent".

Ah sorry I just reread what you qouted

Im suprised by evillores photo, such a small bullet from a distance put him in critical condition.

Belleville IL isn't a rural town. Dude lives like 10 minutes from me. It's a liberal city with a very mixed population.

Im suprised by evillores photo, such a small bullet from a distance put him in critical condition.

This is just my understanding of it from some basic physics.

Look at the size of the casing and how much propellant it contains. Then add that to the fact that it was fired from a rifle. The amount of propellant determines the force that acts on the bullet and the length of the barrel determines the time that the bullet is accelerated by that force. This means that the bullet in this instance has a higher muzzle velocity, and so more kinetic energy, than a similar sized pistol round, which has less propellant and a much shorter barrel.

squall211

I love how this is being spun into a Bernie thing. Why do the Trump supporters I know seem to think that all Trump supporters are good people and good heavens there couldn't be a couple of bad eggs in there?

Unfortunately, too many people are blinded by ideology. The number of people (not here) that I've seen blame Bernie Sanders for this, and the number of additional people I've seen say that the people shot deserved it, is pretty disgusting.

FStubbs

hannity in an unusual showing of common sense has stated that the recent shooting is not Bernie Sanders fault. And and in a completely typical fashion. breitbart readers are loosing there s*it, he is now a "liberal" traitor.

This extreme partisanship needs to stop on both sides, it's time that anyone else but the Dems and the gop get elected next time as it's getting to far out of hand

Because if you blame Bernie for this shooting, then you have to blame Trump, Scalise himself, and many other Republicans for the massive amounts of right wing violence. He'd rather not open up that box with a quote from himself used as proof, so he'll eat this one.

Steel

Banned
Because if you blame Bernie for this shooting, then you have to blame Trump, Scalise himself, and many other Republicans for the massive amounts of right wing violence. He'd rather not open up that box with a quote from himself used as proof, so he'll eat this one.

Considering how many things Hannity is a hypocrite on, I don't see why he would stop now.

greepoman

Considering how many things Hannity is a hypocrite on, I don't see why he would stop now.

Yeah I think it's just self preservation. He's just worried about getting sued cause he knows there are a lot of crazies in his audience and he doesn't want an Alex Jones pizza gate situation.

Red

Unfortunately, too many people are blinded by ideology. The number of people (not here) that I've seen blame Bernie Sanders for this, and the number of additional people I've seen say that the people shot deserved it, is pretty disgusting.
I rarely think anyone "deserves" to be shot. And I don't think shooting politicians down is the right move even in our political climate. At the same time, the GOP and many Republican leaders have been encouraging exactly this sort of violence for years. I can't extend sympathy toward them. They have insinuated time and time again that gun violence is the answer to oppression. Well, when you churn that over in the culture, what happens when a good bulk of your constituents feel oppressed? This is why I say over and over that such political thought leaders are fundamentally stupid. Now they have to cope with the fallout of their stupidity. They shoulder the blame.

It's like, you might not deserve to be stung by a hundred wasps. But if you keep shaking that branch, you're going to be.

WedgeX

Banned
The Brady campaign against gun violence was handing out free muffins to Hill Interns and congresspeople outside of the Capitol South metro. Apt. Its also across the street from the RNC.

To me this is the most hopeless aspect of American politics. I feel like it will be the two parties battling instead of governing until the end of time because if people don't see a problem with the system now, what is it going to take?

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I see people discussing the .223 round, but there's an article that claims it was an SKS the shooter used, which is a 7.62x39 round. (Unless I'm just jumping in and not following the discussion properly.)
http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/14/politics/alexandria-virginia-shooting/index.html

Traces were still being done on the two firearms recovered at the scene -- an SKS rifle 7.62 (which is a Chinese-made AK variant) and a 9 mm pistol on Wednesday, a law enforcement source tells CNN.

edit: Just saw this post on the previous page.

Well, sorry but I should clear this up since I started it, CNN says that the gunman was using a SKS in 7.62x39 not some AR-15 variant in 5.56 so I apologize for my earlier misinformation . Earlier in the day I had heard the gunman was using an AR15 carbine and I was going off that, looks like I was wrong.

boiled goose

good with gravy

While obviously not Sanders fault, I dont think it gives a free pass to all politicians.

Calling abortion doctors murderers is dangerous.

Now, saying that the gop health bill will result in deaths is a fact, and it deserves to be said...

It's not an obvious line what is the appropriate language.

My standard, as long as you state facts based on REALITY, then you can't be blamed for what you say.

Saying Mexicans are rapists is not based on reality. Saying the gop health bill sucks is.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
There are few examples in US popular culture where problems aren't solved with violent conflict. Combine this with a strong weapon lobby. A financial system that wants people indebted. Good start.

Now we have a party that have grown so accustomed to being the opposition that now in power try to kick the people who are already down and out. They turn desperate. You can always borrow money, buy an assault rifle and solve problems. What did the republicans think was going to happen when they start going after the social systems? When people become desperate.

I doubt this is the last time people are going to try to kill politicians in the coming years.

jstripes

Banned
These talking points being spread online are making my head spin.

One day liberals are bleeding heart, tree-hugging "pussies" who are bad for wanting everyone to get along, the next day they're dangerous nutjob leftists, and the left wing media is spreading hate and violent rhetoric.

American politics are irreversibly damaged.

From Molly McKew's Twitter

Code:
@MollyMcKew
 What no one is saying about the shooter: he was also radicalized by Russian propaganda and a narrative of hating Clinton.

@MollyMcKew
 not saying exclusively. But seems to have been a key part of his info environment based on current reporting.

@MollyMcKew
 Ok -- need to explain some things here about Russian objectives we as Americans still are not absorbing. /1

@MollyMcKew
 Go back to my pieces from January -- what the Kremlin did was attack American society, not a political party /2

@MollyMcKew
 The Kremlin cares American chaos. It wasn't about Clinton or Trump. They do not support ANY American interest.  /3

@MollyMcKew
 Russia supports far left & far right; oil & green causes; various religious groups & political factions. Often the point: fomenting chaos /4

@MollyMcKew
 During Flynn Moscow visit, also present: green cans. Jill Stein. NRA there too. Russia will recruit anyone willing to attack America /5

@MollyMcKew
 They spend BILLIONS influencing our information environment. They prey on divisions and grievances to weaken their opponents /6

@MollyMcKew
 Russians/Serbians were at KeystoneXL protests. Russian media covered every US protest on racial issues. Want us to look weak/divided /7

@MollyMcKew
 The Kremlin requires democracy to be crap to maintain their vision of power and rule. So we are their primary opponent. /8

@MollyMcKew
 Kremlin also experiments w/ radicalization as tool writ large.Ex: recruiting for ISIS & empowering terrorist orgs /9

Sanjuro

Some of the comments from my liberal friends have been absolutely embarrassing in the wake of this event.

Hope Scalise is able to pull through.

Inuhanyou

Belleville IL isn't a rural town. Dude lives like 10 minutes from me. It's a liberal city with a very mixed population.

Where he lived, he was able to shoot guns out in open space and its a liberal town??

co-signed, the US must face the truth about their gun sickness

Its not even really a 'sickness', just powerful political lobbies and interests such as the NRA keeping the status quo based on hack job arguments, and convincing their braindead followers that its the truth. But that in itself might be considered a sickness.

Inuhanyou

Liberals like guns as well in many cases so it doesn't surprise me.

In my state you'd be arrested for shooting a gun out in open space, even if you had a 'permit'

We have a decent amount of gun violence in my town, although its not as bad as it was years ago.

co-signed, the US must face the truth about their gun sickness

Its not even really a 'sickness', just powerful political lobbies and interests such as the NRA keeping the status quo based on hack job arguments, and convincing their braindead followers that its the truth. But that in itself might be considered a sickness.

Powerful corporate lobbies like in every other field in America are what shape the national debate and what does or doesn't get passed.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The narrative and story line being tied to this shooting is ... opportunist to say the least.

http://www.theonion.com/article/virginia-shooting-somehow-proves-what-every-single-56246

WASHINGTON—In the wake of this morning’s mass shooting in Alexandria, VA, every single American from across the political spectrum was reportedly able to cite the tragedy as irrefutable proof that they had been right about everything all along. “I’ve always said gun control puts our citizens at risk and makes them sitting ducks for any criminal who doesn’t play by the rules, and today, sadly, all my fears were confirmed,” said conservative Paula Frazier of Willoughby, OH, one of the hundreds of millions of Americans who said it gave them no pleasure at all to have their long-held beliefs so thoroughly validated. Added liberal Marc Watson of Savannah, GA: “When any unhinged maniac can just waltz into a store or gun show and buy a weapon specifically designed for mass casualties, this is unfortunately what happens—exactly like I’ve said from the very beginning.” At press time, every American was dejected at the thought of how soon they would be proven absolutely right once again.

Staf

http://www.theonion.com/article/virginia-shooting-somehow-proves-what-every-single-56246

WASHINGTON—In the wake of this morning’s mass shooting in Alexandria, VA, every single American from across the political spectrum was reportedly able to cite the tragedy as irrefutable proof that they had been right about everything all along. “I’ve always said gun control puts our citizens at risk and makes them sitting ducks for any criminal who doesn’t play by the rules, and today, sadly, all my fears were confirmed,” said conservative Paula Frazier of Willoughby, OH, one of the hundreds of millions of Americans who said it gave them no pleasure at all to have their long-held beliefs so thoroughly validated. Added liberal Marc Watson of Savannah, GA: “When any unhinged maniac can just waltz into a store or gun show and buy a weapon specifically designed for mass casualties, this is unfortunately what happens—exactly like I’ve said from the very beginning.” At press time, every American was dejected at the thought of how soon they would be proven absolutely right once again.

I love the onion.

LosDaddie

Banned

Onion wins again. Spot on.

Personally, I have both sides on my FB and Twitter feeds blaming the other side. It's been hilarious.

platocplx

I dont think most people understand just how devastating bullets are to the human body. If they sold guns with images of gun shot victims like they do with cigarettes and horribly sick people maybe people wouldnt want guns as much.

While obviously not Sanders fault, I dont think it gives a free pass to all politicians.

Calling abortion doctors murderers is dangerous.

Now, saying that the gop health bill will result in deaths is a fact, and it deserves to be said...

It's not an obvious line what is the appropriate language.

My standard, as long as you state facts based on REALITY, then you can't be blamed for what you say.

Saying Mexicans are rapists is not based on reality. Saying the gop health bill sucks is.

Yes their rhetoric is a HUGE part of the problem. They use words like Death Tax to describe a Estate Tax, Death Panels etc. They use all these violent and negative words to cause people to be extremely violent to things to get what they want. If they called shit what it was instead of these insane descriptions we would have way less loony people around politics.

Cyan

Banned
The important part is you get to feel superior to all of them by remaining "neutral".

It's not about being "neutral," it's just poking at our general tendency to immediately fold new events into our narratives and proclaim that the new event proves we were right all along. The same thing happened right after the election, with Bernie people proclaiming that this proved Hillary was a bad candidate, and Hillary people proclaiming that this proved the Berniebros ruined everything by not falling in line.

You can think one side is right and still roll your eyes a little at that behavior. Although tbf I do like to scoff and feel superior to people. :p

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm still confused how Obama "Divided" the US.

He was rude enough to be black in public.

Literally what it boils down to. He was black, and had a nasty habit of talking about black people, sometimes, so that's dividing the nation by making it all about race.

Kusagari

Considering how repugnant the GOP is in general these days, it's amazing how Steve King always finds a way to rise to the top of the shit heap.

Top Bottom