• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I let my new girlfriend move in with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resilient

In all seriousness I think you have 2 options.

1. You ask her to do it and she loves you for it.
2. After a couple of months and her struggling to find a place, she asks if she can move in with you. Then you have to say yes or no. If you say yes, well done, you could have said yes earlier and enjoyed what I mentioned previously. If you say no, well there goes the relationship cause it will still be early days and she'll always slightly resent you for it.

Shawsie64

Banned
Just do it. Half these posters are just jealous of the fact you could be getting pussy on the reg, BJ on the reg, sex on the reg whenever you want 24/7. You haven't got much to lose, but there is a lot to gain.

Yeah I moved in with my girlfriend after 7 months, now a few years later were married.. Whats worst that can happen? She moves in, fucks up then you kick her out

DerKomisar

Neo Member
I've had this girlfriend for about 2 months, we go to the same college and we have a healthy relationship. She comes from a poor family, so she doesn't have a car and she can't afford to live in her own apartment over the summer. She isn't going back home because she got an internship thats important to her at our school. I have my apartment for the whole summer. It's not that we are actively deciding to move in together, she really needs the help.

Is it a bad decision to ask her to move in this early in our relationship? It would just be for the summer, she will have her own place next semester. Anyone have an experience with something like this? I need to make a decision in 2 weeks. I need advice.

What's your plan if this goes to shit in one month? Kick her back home or sit in hell for two more months?

Is she a mature 18? Is she a slob? Is she going to be homesick or go nuckingfutz on you?

5f690741dab70019a26879a81a07fade.jpg

Junie12

I've been there and done that OP, didn't turn out well for me though, I had to move back to my parents because I wanted to get away from her as far as possible <_<

But yeah, even though it ended badly for me I still had one of the best times of my life living with her, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. Besides your young! And you can only live once so take a chance! And make sure you have a plan b just in case things go badly, I was fortunate to have my parents take care of me until I got up to my feet again and move out. It was a great learning experience for me and it made me prepare for the real world.

What's your plan if this goes to shit in one month? Kick her back home or sit in hell for two more months?

Is she a mature 18? Is she a slob? Is she going to be homesick or go nuckingfutz on you?

He won't know the answer to some of these questions until he actually you know lives with her? What's this 18 kick? They both have to learn how to live with S.O.s at some point. They might as well try.

Only if your really sure she will have a place after the summer.
How sure are you about that? And that could lead to relationship issues
but since your trying to help her out I say go for it !!

Violater

Get her tested, use plenty of protection, make sure she checks in with her family regularly.
Bang that shit all summer bro..

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
If it's just for the summer then do it. Enjoy the sex. Don't get taken advantage of. Kick her out if she causes problems. I don't see what the big deal is.

DerKomisar

Neo Member
He won't know the answer to some of these questions until he actually you know lives with her? What's this 18 kick? They both have to learn how to live with S.O.s at some point. They might as well try.

Cause 18 year at college is the biggest transition of her life. Did she take care of bothers and sisters and have responsablities at home or is she a princess who can't handle life.

Dating an 18 year old for two months doesn't fit my description of S.O. He's banging a chick from college.

Cause 18 year at college is the biggest transition of her life. Did she take care of bothers and sisters and have responsablities at home or is she a princess who can't handle life.

Dating an 18 year old for two months doesn't fit my description of S.O. He's banging a chick from college.

A princess who can't handle life needs a test and to spread her wings just as much as anyone else does if not more.

Ashhong

I say yes. And I'm not joking. Just make sure you guys talk it out beforehand. Set some ground rules. If you are comfortable with living with her, then why the fuck not?

Zoe

Don't have an answer for you, but realize that this will accelerate your relationship even faster. Once the summer is over, you're simply not going to be able to go back to living apart like you were before.

Can you handle that?

thefit

If you don't she'll probably dump you, if you do shit can get all fucked up complicated and you'll still end up broken up. Do it!

Just be forewarned living with a woman especially with only 2 months in on the relationship is serious business, shits bout to get real for you quick.

Oh and please don't get her pregnant.

abrack08

I say do it, and I'm surprised by all the no's. I mean, I get the logic behind it, but I definitely would have done this for my current girlfriend. I basically did, spent every waking second at her place right from the beginning (and we've "officially" lived together for almost 3 years now). Worst case scenario is you have a horrible breakup and awkwardly have to ask her to leave (or even more awkwardly let her ride out the summer). Uncomfortable, but not the end of the world. You'd probably really be helping her out, and if you communicate as well as you say you do you should be able to avoid a good amount of problems.

Steelrain

Have you guys been spending multiple night in each others apartments?

If so, you might have an idea of what living with each other is like so go for it.

If not, FUCK NO. I learned this lesson the hard way. It was like living in hell. If you don't know how someone behaves at home, don't live with them.

I live with my current girlfriend now and it's great because I took to time to make sure she wasn't a slob or just prone to annoying things at home.

That's fuckin smart.

I forsee lots of money lost and furniture broke and people taking advantage of. I just wouldn't trust someone (Esp. at 18) unless its been proven for a fact she can pull her weight around.

Mangotron

My gut reaction would be to say "no", especially since she hasn't actually come to you for help. I'd wait it out and see if she comes up with a solution on her own, if she asks you you can reconsider then.

Do it. Worst case scenario you kick her out at the end of the summer because she's crazy.

Best case you guys fall in love or something and she still moves out until you guys are ready to do this long term or you guys actually enjoy each other's company and she stays.

Regardless it's the human thing to do when someone is in need.

cnizzle06

Banned
Just do it and boot her if it doesn't work. Also, she will end up cheating on you bro because of her age, unless of course she's ugos.

Tawpgun

Answer is super obvious.

Yes.

If it was an actual move in, then hell no. But if you're just giving her a place to stay for the summer then absolutely.

The only complication (other than you two falling out) that might arise is after the summer is done... Would she move out or would she pull the "OH IT WAS SO MUCH FUN I SHOULD STAY HERE"

Which then leads into
1. She was really cool and mature and you guys grew closer and are a good fit to live together
or
2. Still not ready for that.

Your choice, I say go for it.

Tunavi

Banned
Answer is super obvious.

Yes.

If it was an actual move in, then hell no. But if you're just giving her a place to stay for the summer then absolutely.

The only complication (other than you two falling out) that might arise is after the summer is done... Would she move out or would she pull the "OH IT WAS SO MUCH FUN I SHOULD STAY HERE"

Which then leads into
1. She was really cool and mature and you guys grew closer and are a good fit to live together
or
2. Still not ready for that.

Your choice, I say go for it.
Good point. If it doesn't work out, it wouldn't have worked out anyway.
Have you guys been spending multiple night in each others apartments?

If so, you might have an idea of what living with each other is like so go for it.

If not, FUCK NO. I learned this lesson the hard way. It was like living in hell. If you don't know how someone behaves at home, don't live with them.

I live with my current girlfriend now and it's great because I took to time to make sure she wasn't a slob or just prone to annoying things at home.

That's fuckin smart.
Yeah, she sleeps over twice a week already.

rkn

You are young, this is one of those situations where you need to think with your
penis
brain.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If her story about being hard on luck is true, then you might as well be nice. Just make sure that this inconvenience to you is thoroughly compensated for. If not by money, then by gratitude, favors, or whatever. Do NOT get complacent around freeloaders.

If this isn't actually a scam, and you two really hit it off and have something together, then great.

If she actually is just taking advantage of you, then have the wisdom to recognize it early and kick her ass out. At the very least you can say that you scored some choice booty while it lasted.

Good luck, and may you learn from your experience.

PS: now would be a good time to brush up on signs of how to identify a freeloader.

daffy

Banned
What if she says no lol? I know that happens. Sometimes its better to stay with matching sexual organs so it doesn't interfere with the WiFi. I know I wouldn't move in with some boner I only dated for 2 months.

Ceebs

Does she live in the college dorms during the school year?

If so then I say let her move in during the summer with a few conditions.

1) Make sure she knows it is only for the summer and she moves back to the dorms in the fall.

2) #1 is still the case even if you both have a fantastic time over the summer. Give the relationship a few more months before you agree to a permanent move in. By next summer the question of "should you let her move in with you?" should answer itself in seconds.

3) Set some house rules beforehand that she must follow.

Satyamdas

Banned
The fact you are asking a message board about this leads me to believe that when it inevitably goes to shit after 3 weeks and you can't stand to have her in your apartment, you will not have the balls to kick her out. Can't wait for the thread asking how you should go about kicking her out without making her cry.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
For everyone wondering, Tunavi's girlfriend is an attractive lass.

No I'm not posting, don't be a dick about it.

daffy

Banned
The fact you are asking a message board about this leads me to believe that when it inevitably goes to shit after 3 weeks and you can't stand to have her in your apartment, you will not have the balls to kick her out. Can't wait for the thread asking how you should go about kicking her out without making her cry.

:lol in tears

Katzii

I think the most upsetting thing about this is that Comic Book Guy's arm is on backwards.

From what I've read of all of the replies, and the OP's replies, the OP seems determined to let it happen regardless of what other people say. So I'd say to go with what feels right for you, but definitely to make sure you set ground rules and not just pander to her every whim, else she'll expect it from you indefinitely. Make sure she does her part to help out around the place.

One thing I didn't see answered - is the apartment just yours or are you sharing? If it's the latter, you really need to speak with your roommate about it.

Drek

As someone who has done this exact thing multiple times, it isn't that big of a deal if you can be a grown up about it, regardless of how she handles shit.

1. don't add her to the lease or any retarded shit like that.

2. don't ask her to help pay the rent or utilities. You obviously can afford it yourself, don't complicate the situation by making her a tenant.

3. She helps pay for food.

4. Stock up on rubbers.

5. Instead of being worried about her being the slob focus on your own shit. Young women can occasionally be slobs, young men (like yourself) are almost always slobs at least in their own place. Keep shit clean and set a tempo that she'll pick up on and your place will stay clean.

6. All of this assumes that she does in fact have a definite place lined up for next fall (dorms I'm guessing) and that you're cool with seeing your relationship get thrown into hyperdrive. But as someone mentioned about, the last bit isn't really your choice. She's either going to be staying with you, grab a desperate situation to make shit work, or have to give up the internship because she couldn't find a place. The second of those two scenarios will likely be more stressful on your relationship than her staying with you, and will effectively have the same end result minus a bunch of money from her. The third is relationship poison anyhow, because she will begrudge the lack of an offer (even if she doesn't mention it to you).

So take the opportunity to white knight for a few months, know how the fuck you exit (or in this case she exits) when shit goes nutty, and be prepared to act like a calm, rational adult when you guys hit unexpected turbulence. Other than that, enjoy all the sex but keep it wrapped, even if she takes BC. Two layers of protection motherfucker.

Steelrain

As someone who has done this exact thing multiple times, it isn't that big of a deal if you can be a grown up about it, regardless of how she handles shit.

1. don't add her to the lease or any retarded shit like that.

2. don't ask her to help pay the rent or utilities. You obviously can afford it yourself, don't complicate the situation by making her a tenant.

QsJfY.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom