• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should I let my new girlfriend move in with me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, this is how it works. You provide shelter and food, she does being pretty and she allows you to drool on her body from time to time. Then you have kids. Then you die.

It's life. Enjoy!

Mohonky

do it but lay down the law.

This.

It's possible, but don't go changing your habits for her and don't expect her to be changing hers.

You're doing it to help her out, not further the relationship. You're going to need to make that very clear from the outset. For some reason people get this idea that because you live together things need to change or you need to act differently, don't. It is what it is, if it goes further, so be it.

The answer is no, don't do it.

You've only been together for two months. You're gonna get sick of her, guaranteed.

Living with your girlfriend is something you can do in some years. For now, just have fun and enjoy your freedom. You'll get to the living part soon enough.

And if you defy reason and choose to live with her anyway, please don't listen to the journeyman who wants you to pay the entire rent. That's terrible advice.

In my experience most people will just let the girl stay and not be productive or help out at all. That's absolutely works for some guys though as long as they have somebody of the opposite sex living with them. I'm assuming this is her first real outside of high school relationship, so asking her to leave if need be probably wouldn't be easy. I'd wager if you do this for 2 months, it will be much longer than 2 months. If that sounds great and is something you'd like, do it. People are saying that you only live once are right, but how happy you'll be during and after is probably to take into consideration. "You only live once!" sounds great until you're supporting a kid as a kid when you're not ready for that part of your life and don't have the balls to stop it.

I should note I moved in with my gf after 6 months and we've been together 4 years. If what you want is to be together it has a better chance of working. If it's trying to help a girl out who's in a seemingly tough situation, there's really very few outs if it goes awry. No good deed goes unpunished, etc. etc.

Nyx

My GF moved in with me 4 months after our first date.
We live together for almost 1,5 years now, and it’s great.

jaxword

Sure, this is how it works. You provide shelter and food, she does being pretty and she allows you to drool on her body from time to time. Then you have kids. Then you die.

It's life. Enjoy!

This seems like the most accurate depiction of human relationships posted in the thread.

And on neogaf.

And the internet, really.

Banglish

I did this once except it was a co-worker who I started dating. I let her move in with me after a couple of months and the bitch stole from me and on the day she packed her shit and left she cleaned out my piggy bank and stole my fucking laundry detergent.

what the.... maan even the detergent.

Boken

Banned
Ahahaha I knew he'd do it. Enjoy the sex and you should probably use a rubber most of the time. Or some contraceptive

tearsofash

I was in her situation, or a similar one once. I was 19, she was still 18. Moved in with my girlfriend and her mom's trailer after maybe five months. Her mom didn't know we were dating for a few weeks. It all went down hill from there. 7 years later we finally got a divorce, but I feel moving in too fast really expedited our disdain for each other - but you always feel you can 'stick it out' cause you don't want them to be homeless.

If you do it, set some conditions. Don't let this be a bad thing.

Aselith

I was in her situation, or a similar one once. I was 19, she was still 18. Moved in with my girlfriend and her mom's trailer after maybe five months. Her mom didn't know we were dating for a few weeks. It all went down hill from there. 7 years later we finally got a divorce, but I feel moving in too fast really expedited our disdain for each other - but you always feel you can 'stick it out' cause you don't want them to be homeless.

If you do it, set some conditions. Don't let this be a bad thing.
Hillbilly shit right here.

Acidote

I will support you Tunavi whatever decision you take as long as you update us on the situation through the summer if you decide to let her move in.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
tell her to move in. It's the fast track to 'will this work'

tearsofash

Hillbilly shit right here.

Far from it. It was a really nice place, and a really nice family. You know that stereotypical suburban clean grandmother's place? Like that, but in a generally shitty trailer park in the middle of Nashville. It was originally only for the summer, but then I dropped out for a bit to work...then I was living with her 65yo mom alone for a year. That was awkward.

I don't like sharing personal stuff usually, but I don't want the OP to run into the same issues.

Avocado

Sure, let her move in, let her pay half the rent. Once summer is over you will know if she is going to be a contender for a serious relationship.

Igo

I was gonna say that as long as you have the balls to kick her out if things go south, I didn't see a problem. New info has topsy-turvied this motherfucker.

Having her move into the spare room and pay rent sounds like a terrible idea. Now, if things do go tits up, you're going to be stuck in an incredibly awkward situation where you ex is living 30 feet from you in the next room and possibly bringing other guys home. If you think you're mature enough to handle that, then it's all good.

Gustav

Banned
I've had this girlfriend for about 2 months, we go to the same college and we have a healthy relationship. She comes from a poor family, so she doesn't have a car and she can't afford to live in her own apartment over the summer. She isn't going back home because she got an internship thats important to her at our school. I have my apartment for the whole summer. It's not that we are actively deciding to move in together, she really needs the help.

Is it a bad decision to ask her to move in this early in our relationship? It would just be for the summer, she will have her own place next semester. Anyone have an experience with something like this? I need to make a decision in 2 weeks. I need advice.

Edit: My roommate is moving out once summer starts, she's going to move into his room and pay rent. I will bump the thread if anything notable happens, some of you guys sounded interested

I don't see why you shouldn't do it. It's only temporary, anyway. And if all goes well you guys can keep living together.

Trust me, I'm not. I'm really not that kind of guy.

Every good decision about a woman is made after rubbing one out. I hope you two last if she is going to live with you for a while, or I hope you're enough of a dick to boot her out if you two break up. If you don't have the power to kick her out, then don't fucking do it. What if she turns out to be some crazy bitch who ends up leaving you and banging other guys in her room, and moans extra loud so you can hear it?!

Magni

I moved in with my girlfriend a week after meeting her, before we were officially a couple. (to be fair, we were both studying abroad, so it was going from one student flat to another, not moving to her established, stable, home).

Then a few months later, I went to live with her parents and her over the summer, for an internship.

We never had to worry about these things, they just happened because they felt right. If it feels right to you Tunavi, do it. If not, help her find a place.

Well, seems OP already made his choice, but way before the thread. Cool to see people started to support that after the first page.

As long as the boundaries are clear, you shouldn't have too much of a trouble, and if you like her so much (and seems you do), it'll probably be worth it.

Septimius

If you're asking on GAF, I'd have to say chances are it's not right.

There's absolutely nothing inherently wrong with living together after having been together 4 months. There's even less inherently wrong in helping out your girlfriend get a place to live after 4 months. It's a step up, and it can be fucked up by overcomplicating things by thinking about them, but if you guys work well, it should be no problem. Just expect to have to communicate about things you think about, or annoys you, when you're living together.

It should be a fun experience, and if it's right to you, then it's right to you. But if you're on GAF asking, it seems something's holding you back. To whatever extent.

noah111

Still Alive
What's with all the "LOL NO WAY" posts in here?

Sounds like he's just trying to be a nice guy, girlfriend or not. I'd do it if I were in your position, if you think she doesn't have the capabilities to turn into an insane bitch or something like that..

Ryaaan14

Banned
Just fuckin' do it. You only live once and it would be worth the experience and learning. Make sure she knows it's just for the summer, especially if things don't go well. Last thing you want is an ex-gf leech.

3Te7U.gif

My buddy did the exact thing you are thinking about doing, and it didn't turn out well, they broke up and got back together endlessly, and she has just been a leech in his side. I'm not saying that's what is going to happen for you, but usually these arrangements don't end nice and neat. Especially when you factor in the age.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm willing to bet he does it regardless of the responses. As if this is a rare opportunity of a desperate 18 year old girl wanting to move in with her short term boyfriend.

Calling it right fucking now.

Just do it. Normal people just do things and deal with the problems if they happen, strange people ask the advice of 5000 strangers.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
10 bucks says she's pregnant before the year is out. I JUST KNOW THESE THINGS.

Careful, OP.

I've had this girlfriend for about 2 months, we go to the same college and we have a healthy relationship. She comes from a poor family, so she doesn't have a car and she can't afford to live in her own apartment over the summer. She isn't going back home because she got an internship thats important to her at our school. I have my apartment for the whole summer. It's not that we are actively deciding to move in together, she really needs the help.

Is it a bad decision to ask her to move in this early in our relationship? It would just be for the summer, she will have her own place next semester. Anyone have an experience with something like this? I need to make a decision in 2 weeks. I need advice.

Edit: My roommate is moving out once summer starts, she's going to move into his room and pay rent. I will bump the thread if anything notable happens, some of you guys sounded interested

Two months? No fucking way.

Kwhit10

I would do it to help the girl out. But the relationship might be screwed or it might not.

Though if you say no I don't want you to move in and screw her out of this internship your relationship is probably done anyways.

Just do it, if it works out you guys might find out you really enjoy each others company. If it turns for the worst, then you won't have to waste 2 years living apart to find out you're not for each other.

Boozeroony

Just for the summer. C'mon. As long as you both work/study, these months will be over in a blink. You end up having a good relationship or not and nothing is lost.

Since you've already made the decision, I'd say you should make sure that you have a new roommate for the next semester and you're not stuck in a situation where she lives with you long term.

She'll prob be so appreciative that you'll get a lot of play this summer

Tunavi

Banned
Since you've already made the decision, I'd say you should make sure that you have a new roommate for the next semester and you're not stuck in a situation where she lives with you long term.
The lease ends at the end of summer anyway, so it works out. She has a dorm reserved for all next year anyway
I'll return here in a couple of months. Better keep us posted, OP. Silence will be interpreted as failure.
You have my word.

Angry Fork

I'm not sure why people are so vehemently on the no side. If they split the rent and it saves OP money what's the harm? Surely it's better than rooming with a stranger. I get the privacy issue, the potential arguments and people getting sick of each other quickly etc. all of that but why not try it? Maybe that will happen maybe it won't. If she starts doing crazy shit just break up with her and install cameras in/out your place in case she comes back with a crowbar.

edit - If she's not going to go half on the bills then don't do it.

2 months...and she's moving in?

If she actually asked, then sure, let her stay. If she hasn't, don't extend the invitation until your relationship breaks out of middle school range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom