• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight |OT| The 8-bit adventures of Butt Butt Goes to Europe & Australia

I'll also add my two cents and say this game looks outstanding on the 3DS. I have the slider set right int he middle. But I'm still going to double-dip on the Wii U version tomorrow, I need the lager d-pad the GamePad offers.

Coppanuva

Think I'm picking up thee 3ds version not the Wii u one. While digger diary sounds good, I'm on a long flight this weekend and having the 3ds version to play is too tempting. Besides, I liked the feel of it on the 3ds when I played at pax.

GRW810

So the general consensus here is Wii U > 3DS?

Poor 3DS. Anyone willing to stick up for it? Because that's the choice I was leaning towards.

Aeana

This is the first Kickstarter game I am thoroughly proud to have backed. I've only just beaten King Knight, but the level design so far is just perfect. I love how it has Mega Man style passages where you can screw up and lose access to until you come back to the stage and try again. The risk/reward for destroying the checkpoints actually bit me already in that stage, as well. Loving it.

Salsa

- die, money pops out of me

- go to recover it on second life, it's down a pit, unreachable, would die if I try

- mmhhh, wonder if the fishing rod will grab it

- fishing rod goes down, hits it, comes back up with a fish AND my money

- game is awesome as shit

iavi

The cutscene after the first level is as beautiful and evocative as something in the 8-bit aesthetic can possibly get. And interactive cutscenes in my NES action game? Wow.

Tons of details, tons of secrets, fantastic spritework, amazing music, great level design, tight controls.

Love it.

YES

That was the moment that made me go, "Ok, this game is going to be amazing." And it definitely has been since.

The game seems INSANELY polished

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
So the general consensus here it's Wii U > 3DS?

Poor 3DS. Anyone willing to stick up for it? Because that's the choice I was leaning towards.
Why is the consensus that te WiiU version is better? Because of the added content? The 3DSgameplay looked pretty good. Seems like the ideal place to play the game.

iavi

Why is the consensus that te WiiU version is better? Because of the added content? The 3DSgameplay looked pretty good. Seems like the ideal place to play the game.

Consensus seem to agree on the WiiU being the better option of the two. My own opinion as well, not because of the digger's diaries as much as it's because I see the haand getting crazy cramped after a while of play with this one

jblank83

There's no general consensus. They're all the same game with minor, but nice, unique features. The 3DS has the streetpass game and 3d layers. The Wii U has a Dark Souls-esque message system. The Steam version has cards.

Is this for real? Like, I was all psyched to actually buy a game on my Wii U, but fucking really?

Yes. Blame NoE and the way Europe handles submitting games for ratings and translations. Getting a game published digitally in North America is extremely simple compared to how it's handled elsewhere in the world.

So before I take the plunge on the 3DS version, will it be getting all of the stretch goals or are they limited to the Wii U/Steam versions?

- go to recover it on second life, it's down a pit, unreachable, would die if I try

Wow, holy shit! Good to know.

Can't get any non-xinput pad working on PC and x360ce crashes the game. Sad that I'm stuck playing with a DS3 but the game is... just wow. As others have said, proud to have backed it.

Halfmunch

Not sure if that's the consensus... I'm playing on 3DS and it's awesome! Portable Touch screen inventory is nice. 3D actually looks great~ Obviously bigger screen has its benefits, but I wouldn't say one is better than the other.

jblank83

So before I take the plunge on the 3DS version, will it be getting all of the stretch goals or are they limited to the Wii U/Steam versions?

3DS is capable of doing DLC. They've never said they aren't bringing the content to 3DS. I see no reason to believe they won't.

does it support 120hz?
please god

I'm not quite sure to be honest. I _think_ it's running at 120fps? When I had v-sync on the game was running at double speed, but with v-sync off it ran normally (with no tearing regardless). Will start it up in 60Hz and compare...

Fake Edit: Okay, so, I have to admit it's pretty hard to tell visually with this game since nothing moves super quick across the screen, but it felt a LOT laggier input-wise when I set my screen (and the game) to 60Hz. So, I actually think it legitimately runs at 120fps, making it pretty much the only retro 2D game to feature that. Amazing.

mclem

So, on the subject of the EU version: I've been sent a 3DS code. Does the fact that I've already been sent a 3DS code mean I've been sent a US one by accident, or have other EU people recieved codes but just can't use them yet?

Aeana

I was a little worried about the bosses after the first dude and King Knight, but Specter Knight was a good challenge. Beat him on my first try, although at half health instead of full like the others. I hope the rest are like that or harder.

Toxi

Banned
Shovel Knight is so much fun! I've binged the game and wow, the difficulty goes up in a good way after you reach the second "world". Treasure Knight's stage was especially ridiculous.

For bosses, they're really fun and creative. I laughed when
Treasure Knight dropped a booby-trapped chest that steals your money. Plague Knight is my favorite; he starts out easy, but then he starts tossing stuff everywhere and the difficulty ramps up crazy.

I lost so much money by dropping into pits and I never thought of this simple solution. Amazing.

Xater

I just learned this has no EU eShop release. I can't believe that is still a thing that happens. Of course the PC launch is Windows only. Well I guess no money from me then and who knows if ever, because if it comes out when a lot of other things are released it will be easy to overlook.

Salsa

I was a little worried about the bosses after the first dude and King Knight, but Specter Knight was a good challenge. Beat him on my first try, although at half health instead of full like the others. I hope the rest are like that or harder.

treasure knight left me at 1 'heart'

bosses so far are challenging if you really go for beating them on the first run, aka learning the pattern as it goes

it's amazing how polished the game is in terms of level design and difficulty curve. The biggest challenge so far is typical Megaman scenario of platforming to narrow platforms with annoying enemies that'll throw you off :p

then again it was in development for so long, no wonder it's so tight

redcrayon

So, on the subject of the EU version: I've been sent a 3DS code. Does the fact that I've already been sent a 3DS code mean I've been sent a US one by accident, or have other EU people recieved codes but just can't use them yet?
Hi, I'm an EU 3DS backer and have also been sent a link to a code on the Humble Bundle site for the '$15' level.

I suspect they've just sent the same email out to everyone despite saying further down in the email that WiiU/3DS codes outside of NA haven't been requested yet. I wouldn't worry about it yet, there will probably be another update closer to the EU console release that clears it up.

duckroll

Beaten: King Knight, Specter Knight, Treasure Knight

This game is the bee's knees. So fun. I kinda wish it had a proper life system on top of the checkpoint system (which is really well implemented), but you lose enough gold that after dying 2-3 times it encourages restarting that level anyway.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Consensus seem to agree on the WiiU being the better option of the two. My own opinion as well, not because of the digger's diaries as much as it's because I see the haand getting crazy cramped after a while of play with this one
Ah so in other words, there is no consensus. 3DS it is.

Vysetron

Neo Member
Just finished the game. In case anyone was wondering, it holds up all the way through. So happy I backed this.

A bit confused on the multiplayer mode though. Is it just on Wii U or is the option hidden on PC? I was planning to pick it up on Wii U or 3DS anyway, and I know 3DS doesn't have it.

Just finished the game. In case anyone was wondering, it holds up all the way through. So happy I backed this.

A bit confused on the multiplayer mode though. Is it just on Wii U or is the option hidden on PC? I was planning to pick it up on Wii U or 3DS anyway, and I know 3DS doesn't have it.

The multiplayer battle mode isn't out yet. It's being released as part of a free update later this year.

Salsa

Beaten: King Knight, Specter Knight, Treasure Knight

This game is the bee's knees. So fun. I kinda wish it had a proper life system on top of the checkpoint system (which is really well implemented), but you lose enough gold that after dying 2-3 times it encourages restarting that level anyway.

break the checkpoints bro

Be-a-Man.gif

Salsa

in case you guys didnt know:

when you arrive to a checkpoint: you can break it

just pogo on it or shovel it

it'll break and it'll give you a shit ton of money; at the expense of respawning on the previous one when you die

Top Bottom