• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment |OT| Steel Thy Scythe

Kinsei

Banned
Can't wait to play this! I liked Plague of Shadows, but not enough to finish it. The slow movement and unconventional attacks hampered my enjoyment. This new one seems much better.

In what world is Plague Knight slow?

plague_bookroom.gif

Honestly it took me a bit to get used to how slow Specty is in comparison.

sugarless

plague_bookroom.gif

Yeah, Plague Knight isn't slow, just tricky to use effectively if you don't use his moves right and use him like you would Shovel Knight. Get into the swing of things and he can blast through levels.

Hero

And is
his son Reize
? Or
is he unrelated
? It totally started to all blur a bit for me.

Yeah, Reize is Luan's son. Donovan used the power from the locket to revive Luan instead of himself because of the promise he made to Luan.

Hero

What robe/armor did you guys use? I used the charge attack one the whole way through. Gave you some much needed range.

Kinsei

Banned
What robe/armor did you guys use? I used the charge attack one the whole way through. Gave you some much needed range.

I'm using the ghost armor on my first run. I really like the way Specty skates and the after image shows up even during pitch black sections which makes it much easier to see where you are. All of my future playthroughs will be with the grinding armor.

Skeletos311

I finally got around to finishing the rest of the game. I played like 75% of the game in one sitting. Great gameplay, Great music. Good story that fleshes out the Shovel Knight universe. Great game to jump into after Zelda. It's not as long or as hard as Shovel of Hope, but that's OK. There is a hard mode after you beat it and it's short enough that I wouldn't mind playing it again.

I played some with the Pro controller on TV, but I played most of it in handheld mode while watching TV. Sometimes I would find myself using the d-pad buttons without noticing, but I used the stick most of the time. I like the stick better than the d-pad buttons. I think it works fine for this game, since there is no ducking or diagonal inputs. One thing that kind of bugged me about the joycons was the right analog stick. Since it's only a bit shorter than a regular analog stick, it kind of gets in the way while trying to use the buttons. I kind of wish they were circle pads instead. I'm hoping Nintendo releases a pair of joycons with a real d-pad and some circle pads.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Treasure Trove keeps fucking tempting me on the Switch eShop but I already own physical copies on both the Wii U and 3DS and buying it a third time seems a bit redundant, gah.

If they ever drop a Switch card in a box onto store shelves, no hesitation there.

vid

Treasure Trove keeps fucking tempting me on the Switch eShop but I already own physical copies on both the Wii U and 3DS and buying it a third time seems a bit redundant, gah.

If they ever drop a Switch card in a box onto store shelves, no hesitation there.

I got my original Kickstarter copy for PC, bought it again on the Wii U because I thought the Digger's Diary sounded like a cool feature (it was!), and now again on the Switch because I wanted a portable version.

And God help me, if they release a physical version after King Knight releases, I'll buy it again.

I should feel more remorse about this, but with the amount of free content they keep doling out, I'm pretty okay with it.

Brakke

Banned
This is definitely my least favorite of the campaigns so far. The upgrade / level select system are kind of whack. By the time I had four maps left, I was a Golden God of effectively unlimited health and mana, and I had enough powers to fudge through any spot that could've been tricky. Haven't really liked any of the boss fights so far, either. They all kinda degenerated into me staying in the air and cheesing the air dash, and after a couple worlds, I had enough health and heal-power juice to just tank hits.

I dunno. Game just sort of fell apart real quick, lost most of the challenge and thrill.

I started using the "hold down to grind" suit (it's a great defense against spike pits), but using the analog stick instead of a dpad on Switch meant I kept triggering grinds accidentally. Ended up just going for regular-ass suit. Charge attack is nice but the colors look terrible to me.

I'm finding the last(?) level's platforming really frustrating. I'm getting to the point where I can brute force my way through it but I just quit to calm down. Otherwise, the game never got too challenging.

jacobeid

Banned

If it makes you feel any better I originally bought the game on Wii U, then proceeded to buy PS4 digital, PS4 physical, PC, and now Switch :)

I have never bought a game five times before lol.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
OP you can update the OT that the NES Classic Mini controller works with the WiiU version as well. Granted, you have one of those lol.

ArjanN

This is definitely my least favorite of the campaigns so far. The upgrade / level select system are kind of whack. By the time I had four maps left, I was a Golden God of effectively unlimited health and mana, and I had enough powers to fudge through any spot that could've been tricky. Haven't really liked any of the boss fights so far, either. They all kinda degenerated into me staying in the air and cheesing the air dash, and after a couple worlds, I had enough health and heal-power juice to just tank hits.

I dunno. Game just sort of fell apart real quick, lost most of the challenge and thrill.

To be fair most of the challenge in the previous campaigns is in the achievement stuff (speedruns, no upgrades, etc.) It always just felt like a design decision to make most of the challenge self-imposed, with like for example the destructible checkpoints.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is there an actual release date yet in April?

I need to do another Low% and Any% speedruns through before this get released!

Brakke

Banned
To be fair most of the challenge in the previous campaigns is in the achievement stuff (speedruns, no upgrades, etc.) It always just felt like a design decision to make most of the challenge self-imposed, with like for example the destructible checkpoints.

I've since gone and 100% Feat-ed Shovel of Hope or whatever it's called on two runs. My real problem with Specter isn't so much "challenge" as progression. The final tier of Shovel Knight stages (Airship, Ice Zone, Factory) are significantly harder than the first tier (King Knight is hilariously easy on a replay). And by the time you reach those later tiers, you've got a ton more health and tools at your disposal. But having a ton of health doesn't really save you from falling into a bottomless pit, so the stakes remain high in Airship stage, which is just full of pits.

The Shovel levels (at least attempt to) keep pace with your gear growth. Specter doesn't have that tiering, all levels are basically the same difficulty.

Every time this topic gets bumped I get excited and hope it is for news of the other console releases. I've been killing time replaying through Shovel of Hope and Plague of Shadows on my 3DS and I desperately need this in my liiiiife.

duckroll

Every time this topic gets bumped I get excited and hope it is for news of the other console releases. I've been killing time replaying through Shovel of Hope and Plague of Shadows on my 3DS and I desperately need this in my liiiiife.

Pretty sure it's coming next week.

Is there an actual release date yet in April?

I need to do another Low% and Any% speedruns through before this get released!

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/c/art...6d.html?_ga=1.257461771.1689968047.1490748846

Yes, Nintendo Japan (they publish it on 3DS/WiiU in Japan) announced April 5, which is when the eShop updates in Japan next week. Should be the same worldwide on the other platforms too I think.

Yacht Club sent out an email with some dates:

Switch – Out Now!
ShovelKnight.com, Steam, Humble Store, GOG.com – April 5th!
Wii U, 3DS (Japan) – April 5th!
Wii U, 3DS (America/Europe) – April TBD
PS4, Vita, PS3 (America/Europe) – April TBD
Xbox One – April TBD
Fire TV – April TBD

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

plague_bookroom.gif

This .gif is a bit misleading. To be able to move like that requires some practice and skill. Doing what you see there is not something you're going to be able to pull off right away. That said, once you do master his movement it is FUN. But it's definitely not for everybody.

KeRaSh

Finished Specter of Torment yesterday and loooooved it. Started the Plague campaign right after that and had to get used to the new movement. Still not 100% comfortable with it but it's getting better. Love the writing of both stories.
What a perfect purchase right before going on vacation.

JonnyKong

Bit late to the party on this, but I'm finally halfway through the Specter campaign. It really annoyed me at first cos I found he kept dashing off in uncontrollable directions to his death, but I think I've got the hang of controlling him now.

I don't know if it's because I played and finished Shovel Knight before coming onto this so I've had the practice, but I do seem to be finding this a bit easier. I've not died on any bosses yet. And now that I've said that I've probably cursed myself and I'll get ruined next time I go on.

I hope this game doesn't have a boss rush like Shovel Knight did at the end, but I bet it does :(

Kinsei

Banned
Bit late to the party on this, but I'm finally halfway through the Specter campaign. It really annoyed me at first cos I found he kept dashing off in uncontrollable directions to his death, but I think I've got the hang of controlling him now.

I don't know if it's because I played and finished Shovel Knight before coming onto this so I've had the practice, but I do seem to be finding this a bit easier. I've not died on any bosses yet. And now that I've said that I've probably cursed myself and I'll get ruined next time I go on.

I hope this game doesn't have a boss rush like Shovel Knight did at the end, but I bet it does :(

It
doesn't

JonnyKong

Now that I have the spider scythe, and the cloak which prevents me from dying on spikes, I'm feeling like an unstoppable machine!

jb1234

Played a little bit and it's delightful. Specter Knight controls like a dream and the new music is terrific (as you'd expect). I love the new, happy version of Pridemoor Keep.

sphinx

the piano man
is this DLC free for those who bought the 3DS retail version like a year ago?

I am a bit confused as to what that "treasure trove" thing means.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
is this DLC free for those who bought the 3DS retail version like a year ago?

I am a bit confused as to what that "treasure trove" thing means.

"Treasure Trove" refers to the original Shovel Knight campaign and all the additional DLC together in one bundle.

If you purchased Shovel Knight prior to March 3rd, 2017 on any platform, at retail or digitally, you automatically own Treasure Trove.

After March 3rd, Treasure Trove is what replaced the original "Shovel Knight" listing, and the individual DLC campaigns (Shovel Knight, Plague Knight, Specter Knight, King Knight) will all be sold separately if for some reason you only wanted to play through one campaign and not the others.

Top Bottom