• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

show me the absolute WORST character design you can think of

Sapiens

I wish they would have stuck to the more realistic design they used in Prime 1.

tumblr_l85ldzSqqr1qzh1yr.png

Yuck. Hated that realistic Prime 1 look.

I just don't ever want to see Samus outside of the suit (which should always look like the perfect Super Metroid suit) ever.

I wish they would have stuck to the more realistic design they used in Prime 1.

tumblr_l85ldzSqqr1qzh1yr.png
So I always see people on GAF wishing they would have "stuck with" this more realistic Samus depiction. This completely ignores that this design was used once and in a game that was developed by an overseas team. Heck even the high percentage clear screens for Fusion, which came out the same time as Prime, are in line with the Zero Suit Samus' depiction.

Prime 1 Samus is the outlier.

Wrong. Here's one of many examples.

nightshade.png

Is that in ROTR? Because in 2013 TR she's in the default for the entire game, granted she has alternate costumes that were included in the definitive edition (and I assume was dlc for last gen) but she never adds fur or leather to her default outfit despite shivering constantly lol

Or just grab a jacket off one of the solarii which would be even easier, but boobs.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
She used to be that fearless femme fatale woman and that was cool. Now she is just an generic pretty white woman who gets hurt a lot.

I think you're complaining about characterization, not design.

I don't know what planet you'd have to live on to consider Lara Croft's visual redesign a step backward from her original.

Still better than Barbie Doll Samus, though.

fvng

He had the mannerisms and motivations of a teenager, not because he was a lovable brute but because it was literally a model swap from a teenager to ugly dad Nier. I think Taro made him as hideous as fuckin possible just because of the localization

good. that gives him a lovable andre the giant type quality.

This Cyberdemon is the pinnacle of offensive re-design of a classic for me. I think basically every enemy in Caps-Doom looks utterly vapid compared to their classic counterparts, but this one...I just can't get over this Moosecrab Gears Of War nonsense:

tVGG_19910.jpg

KiraXD

Lol... These threads always devolve into "characters i just dont like." Rather than being legit bad designs.

Dante from DmC is a great design.
Old Dante from DMC2 is terrible.

People just dont like the way characters look... Doesnt make it bad design.

HMD

350px-Orisa-portrait.png

Orisa is so blegh, she's so boring and she has the personality of a cardboard box, especially compared to everyone else in Overwatch.

So I always see people on GAF wishing they would have "stuck with" this more realistic Samus depiction. This completely ignores that this design was used once and in a game that was developed by an overseas team. Heck even the high percentage clear screens for Fusion, which came out the same time as Prime, are in line with the Zero Suit Samus' depiction.

Not really:

These are mostly from the Super Metroid era:

Note that even the Metroid Fusion screens hadn't settled on the full Barbie look with the solid yellow hair and pony tail. I mean, we call it Zero Suit Samus because it came from Metroid Zero Mission.

Here are some shots from Fusion. I personally feel that this design is still better than Zero Suit.

Not really:

These are mostly from the Super Metroid era:

Note that even the Metroid Fusion screens hadn't settled on the full Barbie look with the solid yellow hair and pony tail. I mean, we call it Zero Suit Samus because it came from Metroid Zero Mission.

Here are some shots from Fusion. I personally feel that this design is still better than Zero Suit.
I'm not entirely sure what your point is other than proving that Samus has always been depicted as a hot blonde. You mention solid yellow hair and ponytail so it seems you're focusing more on how the character​ is rendered than designed. The only real issue with Zero suit is that they made her shorter instead of her original, like, 6' height.

I think Taro made him as hideous as fuckin possible just because of the localization

It's a little unsettling the way a lot of you exaggerate Nier's ugliness.

Nier-Originally-360-Exclusive.jpg

He isn't some abominable hellbeast. Jesus. He just stands out among all the porcelain doll people.

MrBadger

I don't think anything will ever top Candy Kong for me.

Why is the anthropomorphic when DK and Diddy aren't? Why is a gorilla wearing a leotard, a bow and makeup? Why is she looking at me that way?

Toxi

Banned
Peléo;235341199 said:
Enemy design in Kid Icarus Uprising is horrendous.
The worst part is how the different factions have no distinct visual motifs. The Underworld Army and the Forces of Nature are supposed to be bitter enemies, but you could stick Underworld Army enemies with Forces of Nature enemies and nobody would realize they're supposed to be on different sides because they all use the same general aesthetic of "fucking weird".

kromeo

For all the times I've seen this character in these threads, I've never figured out what he does. His design tells you nothing about him other than the cane.

What is the character's function in game?

He's a major NPC that changes between being a good/bad guy

The whole story in that game in nonsense, might as well have ridiculous looking characters to go with it

Regiruler

Posting KIU enemies out of context is a poor mistake. The game does a fantastic job of making every enemy visually identifiable immediately while keeping in style of the original game, and then uses a more detailed style for bosses and main characters. It also provides a great contrast with a faction introduced about 3/5s of the way into the game.

Posting KIU enemies out of context is a poor mistake. The game does a fantastic job of making every enemy visually identifiable immediately while keeping in style of the original game, and then uses a more detailed style for bosses and main characters. It also provides a great contrast with a faction introduced about 3/5s of the way into the game.
KIU?

Ray Down

Banned
For all the times I've seen this character in these threads, I've never figured out what he does. His design tells you nothing about him other than the cane.

What is the character's function in game?

He serves as the leader of new Yevon, I don't know how ANYONE can take him seriously though.

The worst part is how the different factions have no distinct visual motifs. The Underworld Army and the Forces of Nature are supposed to be bitter enemies, but you could stick Underworld Army enemies with Forces of Nature enemies and nobody would realize they're supposed to be on different sides because they all use the same general aesthetic of "fucking weird".

The Forces of Nature do have a visual motif, though. They're all flora and fauna with big yellow eyes. They look fairly visually cohesive. Same thing with the Aurum, they're all techo looking space aliens.

It's really only the Underworld army that's pretty scattershot.

Kid Icarus Uprising.

4cffaa27c92f0454ebd3693bb82e658c.jpg

This character from Baten Kaitos 2.
Unlike a lot of the posts that are just designs people dislike, this is seems legitimately bad. Like, I can't really read what's happing here. His silhouette evokes a turtle, but also a gorilla? The color schemes don't clue into much of anything and other than some kind of tribal (or is it islander) motif going on I have no idea what this character is going for.

What's his role in game?

Maledict

I'm guessing, filthy, greasy teenagers is your fetish or something? You just keep going on and on about it and calling people who don't share your fetish sexist homophobes.

I've posted twice. I haven't posted about it much at all. And I haven't called anyone a homophobe at all, so stop with the shitty straw manning and irrational argument.

My point is quite simple. This is a thread about the worse possible character designs in gaming. Now, even if you don't appreciate new Dante's appearance or find him attractive (which as I said lots of people won't!) there is absolutely no possible way that as objective character design he belongs in the same category as the giant titted anime girls, nomura's outfits of a thousand belts or the pizza cutter guy.

I get it people don't like it. I think a lot of that comes from the controversy over the redesign, or some of the imagery they released first (note, not the final design used in game). But there is no objective way you can describe a fairly bland, standard boy-band designed character wearing normal clothing as one of the worse designs in gaming. That's my point. Someone who could happily front a teen pop magazine in the real world is objectively not anywhere near the same league as most of the characters here.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
vandal-hearts-flames-of-judgment_004.jpg

Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment

SpartanN92

Banned
Halo 4/5 redesigns of Covenant.
Especially the Jackal... they were originally bird aliens. Now they are generic lizard creatures.

936541_orig.png

h5-guardians-render-grunt-18f9514378964f90a1a90733f3d111f6.png

Top Bottom