• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show off your Android Customizations thread

3phemeral

Holo Launcher has 3 pages for the dock that you can swipe left or right to access. 3 pages and it looks like you can have 9 slots per page.

He's looking for something that opens up like a page from the bottom, not a swipeable row of icons. Nova and Apex already do what you mentioned.

As far as I know, I don't know of any launcher that does that. Maybe Action Launcher by the TweetLanes guy? I recall something similar, like, swiping from off-screen to from left to right to access a list of apps, or something. Might be worth checking out.

Cipherr

Saw this on XDA. Really like that look:

nexus4.png

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=34803493&postcount=417

Im currently running stock, but Im getting the itch again to root and go wild.

New phone, slightly modified setup (this time on stock rom/no root)

Hidden status bar (adw), swipe up for phone, down for notifications, and up from dock for Google Now.

Battery and time widget, second (and only other screen) has calendar and Google Voice widgets.

Icon groups: Kid's stuff (for my kids), media, Open Apps, fun/games, and Main apps.

Neutral elements allow me to use virtually any background, which I switch out a lot.
UzaGh.jpeg

Ctrl A1t Elite

Neo Member
He's looking for something that opens up like a page from the bottom, not a swipeable row of icons. Nova and Apex already do what you mentioned.

As far as I know, I don't know of any launcher that does that. Maybe Action Launcher by the TweetLanes guy? I recall something similar, like, swiping from off-screen to from left to right to access a list of apps, or something. Might be worth checking out.

Cheers for the suggestion, but I've discovered the joys of getting rid of the dock and going with the minimal home screen, then just swiping up to get my apps with Nova.

Just got my S3 a few days ago and I think I've already spent more time on it or looking at threads like this than I did on my old phone. Jesus it's good.

I have had my phone for awhile(Motorola Triumph). I have loaded custom roms and could never really find one I liked, but then I discovered App loaders and icon swaps. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. I like a simple home screen and the app drawer is alphabetical so I can find apps easy enough.

z0mFG.jpg

LogicStep

This is how far I have gotten it so far.

Any suggestions? Also how do I customize my lock screen? It looks completely different from my home screen. Also, is there a way to set it so the phone installs and saves everything to the external sd card automatically?

Another thing is, I believe I have asked this before but don't remember getting an answer, if any of you have used iOS, whenever you get a text, email, message on whatsapp or anything, a small number indicating how many messages or whatever you have regarding that application would appear on the corner of the icon on your desktop. That doesn't happen on android?

Like here:

GatorBait

Here's my first stab at a design for my Nexus 4. (Note that I still have the status bar, but I accidentally chopped it off the screenshot and I didn't feel like recropping it.

FDkgR.png

Nova Launcher
MetroStation icons (except for the news icon, which I had to custom make)
Stock analog clock
Nifty Nexus 4 live wallpaper I found in this XDA thread. (It actually changes depending on the brightness/movement. It works okay, but the guy says it's a work in progress. I might switch to a static wallpaper if I end up not liking it.)

I'm debating whether or not to add a Minimalistic Text date/time widget. I kind of like the text-free look on the home screen.

Any chance you could post your news icon?

Another thing is, I believe I have asked this before but don't remember getting an answer, if any of you have used iOS, whenever you get a text, email, message on whatsapp or anything, a small number indicating how many messages or whatever you have regarding that application would appear on the corner of the icon on your desktop. That doesn't happen on android?

Like here:

The closest you can get is to get a launcher like Apex Pro or SMS Unread Count. It can show the red circle on email, phone calls, and texts.

3phemeral

Like here:

Off the top of my head, Nova Launcher has a plugin called Unread that you can use for more generic "inbox" count-like functionality. I'm sure it requires the use of Nova launcher, but I'm not sure about that.

LogicStep

Seems like I need Nova Launcher Prime for that. I was hoping for a free solution. Seems it only does calls sms and gmail. What about email and whatsapp?

Pretty insane how iOS has had this for ever and Android doesn't have it yet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seems like I need Nova Launcher Prime for that. I was hoping for a free solution. Seems it only does calls sms and gmail. What about email and whatsapp?

Pretty insane how iOS has had this for ever and Android doesn't have it yet.

No, you'll need Nova. And no, not Whatsapp but email works.

Don't look for ways to incorporate your old ways of using your phone. Embrace a new OS.

Cipherr

Are there not static icons at the top of the screen that lets you know if you have missed messages from any app? They are even visible on the lockscreen. Then you access notifications to see all of them. I don't understand what scenario I would instead want a counter on an icon for. Android has a very superior and robust notifications system that handles information like that very well. Its all corralled and kept in one spot, and the top icons let you know when you have notifications waiting. From that notification shade you can get a count of how many messages/calls you have, expand and retract the individual phone calls/texts/messages to get more info, tap to jump into the corresponding app, or swipe to dismiss the notification.

Its cool that there are application options on the Play store that will put a number on an icon for you, but it reeks of trying to do something another way just because, even if its inferior. But Omega Status bar will give you counts on your status bar if you just absolutely want them. No root required and its free.

bQmKKuHtEhn7aVdBnqaMLANDYTsQ4Y0b_8UKyBD5bhnPa_suPJs5yowzpNqY0zkvPfg

http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.calsto.omega.statusbar

Cipherr

It's not that man, it's just a utility or user experience thing. Or did Apple patent this?

There's no patent, its just that the Android OS doesn't do it that way. It a completely different design. Android handles those through its notification system and status bars. Its sort of like looking for Friends Codes on an Xbox 360. Its not that Nintendo patented it, its that the 360 achieves the same function through a different design called XBL-Gamertags.

You may be able to find apps somewhere that emulate it, but it wont ever be added to the OS as a vanilla feature. They went about achieving that function differently than Apple did.

LogicStep

There's no patent, its just that the Android OS doesn't do it that way. It a completely different design. Android handles those through its notification system and status bars. Its sort of like looking for Friends Codes on an Xbox 360. Its not that Nintendo patented it, its that the 360 achieves the same function through a different design called XBL-Gamertags.

You may be able to find apps somewhere that emulate it, but it wont ever be added to the OS as a vanilla feature. They went about achieving that function differently than Apple did.

I see. It kind of sucks because I'm trying to go for the hidden status bar thing which looks slick but then I can't tell if I have notifications or not, I have to check the status bar manually to see. Anyways, I get it now, thanks.

JabCD.jpg

zvxxt.png

IPw3J.png

afysJ.jpg

I'm reasonably happy with the setup. (Evo 4G LTE running CM10).

However there are some things I would like to tweak. Notably the lock screen and the look of the shortcuts in the dock. I like the sleek look of the icons in the unlock screen but I can't seem to figure out how to make them the same in the dock.

I'd kind of like to be able to have a setup like what I have I drawn for unlocking the phone. I'm happy with what I have now. I just want to more or less play around with different sleek looking options. Especially on my lock screen.

Cipherr

I see. It kind of sucks because I'm trying to go for the hidden status bar thing which looks slick but then I can't tell if I have notifications or not, I have to check the status bar manually to see.

Ahhhh thats explains it! Yes I can definitely understand that now. Hopefully you can find some apps that will do it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I see. It kind of sucks because I'm trying to go for the hidden status bar thing which looks slick but then I can't tell if I have notifications or not, I have to check the status bar manually to see. Anyways, I get it now, thanks.

Ah yeah, I do that, too. Makes sense. I use Nova Prime to achieve it.

Le-mo

So my prepaid Virgin Mobile HTC EVO V came today and I activated online about an hour ago. I still can't make calls and their site says it may take up to 4 hours for it to actually activate and up to 24 hours for them to send me an email to program my phone number into the phone. Does it really take that long?

Cipherr

So my prepaid Virgin Mobile HTC EVO V came today and I activated online about an hour ago. I still can't make calls and their site says it may take up to 4 hours for it to actually activate and up to 24 hours for them to send me an email to program my phone number into the phone. Does it really take that long?

Not sure, I have my pre-paid service through T-Mobile in the U.S. I remember that the phone was ready to go pretty quickly. There definitely wasn't any 4 hour wait. Could be a carrier thing.

Le-mo

Not sure, I have my pre-paid service through T-Mobile in the U.S. I remember that the phone was ready to go pretty quickly. There definitely wasn't any 4 hour wait. Could be a carrier thing.

Must be cause I helped a friend set up his T-Mobile prepaid and it worked instantly. And.......my phone just worked!

Mercurial

So how close are we to having a desktop program for creating our UI's? UCCW is amazing and all but making something interesting is usually a really tedious and frustrating process.

Mine at the moment. I copied and modified a setup from My colour screen. Can't remember which one. I shall search for it:

4L5BB8B.jpg

Bboy AJ

Where are all the dope Tablet layouts?

Bboy AJ

I should rephrase. Landscape home screen. The Nexus 10 is unusable in portrait.

Just got my Galaxy S3 mini a few days ago!

TjQGP6M.png

cDp255O.png

I used:
Beautiful Widgets for weather
Nova Launcher + Whiteout Icon Pack
ClockQ Premium
Pure Grid Calendar

The wallpaper I edited
The space chick is from a comic book "The Fourth Power" that I have no idea about photoshopped on some galaxy background.

R1CHO

That's awesome, but is there any way to change the color of the cards? Don't like white backgrounds, too bright for me personally

You can edit the cards with some image software to change the color.

If you want post a pic of the color here and i will edit them for you.

Top Bottom