• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Show us your gaming setup: 2013 Edition

Snogger_T

This is my current setup, but I'm thinking about upgrading my stand and maybe rearranging the living room. That's my excuse for not cleaning up the wires better.

livingroomcurrent_zpsd5f6d948.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Instead of a cup of writing utensils, you should get a cup of Life Savers candy. That desk has room for 1 or maybe 2 pens at the most.

I need a new, comfy chair for my PC desk but I don't want to spend a lot. Any recommendations?

Regardless of what you pick, go to a store where you can actually sit in the chairs for yourself; everyone has different needs for comfort. Staples has a decent selection, just watch our for their really low-end stuff. Build quality usually really suffers on the cheaper chairs.

Dave_6

Gotcha. There's an Office Depot fairly close to my work so I may go by there on lunch tomorrow and see what they have. I'm currently (and have been for years) using an old office rolling chair and it is awful; the padding is shot and is terribly uncomfortable after just a few minutes.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Got a new TV this weekend in preparation for next-gen, which sounds like it might be here sooner than we know it - can't wait!

9538765747_fcbc693ffb_b.jpg

9538766711_7c773f8064_b.jpg

9538765357_731533e018_b.jpg

9541554172_f4b285edea_b.jpg

PC Specs:

LD PC-V7
Asus RIVF
i7 3820 @ 4.6
EVGA Nvidia GeForce Titan + 150
16GB Vengeance RAM @ 2333
256GB Samsung 840 Pro + 480GB OWC Mercury Extreme SSDs
Full & custom water cooling loop

Enordash

Thanks a lot jerk! I didn't know I needed this until you posted it.

I'm on board too. That desk is absolutely amazing. I'm actually having a real problem finding something I like. I've also noticed that a lot of people put their tower on the desk rather than the floor (which I've been doing as well). Are you just worried about static? Since I wanted my stereo receiver on the floor, I went out and bought a $12 Target accent table and just used the table top as a buffer between the receiver and carpet.

I need to post some updated photos because my living room is now about 25% done.

I'm on board too. That desk is absolutely amazing. I'm actually having a real problem finding something I like. I've also noticed that a lot of people put their tower on the desk rather than the floor (which I've been doing as well). Are you just worried about static? Since I wanted my stereo receiver on the floor, I went out and bought a $12 Target accent table and just used the table top as a buffer between the receiver and carpet.

I need to post some updated photos because my living room is now about 25% done.

Biggest reason I'd put my tower on my desk, if I could, is to get it away from the carpet. My carpet at least, is a portal to the dust dimension.
My tower won't fit on my desk sadly, so I just have a wood board under it to help in a tiny way to separate it from the carpet.

gokieks

9541554172_f4b285edea_b.jpg

PC Specs:

LD PC-V7
Asus RIVF
i7 3820 @ 4.6

I have no idea how anyone can possibly stand using the PS 3D Display as a monitor. The color reproduction is awful, it has basically zero adjust-ability, and there are mirrors that are less reflective than that thing.

pheonix991

Neo Member
I have no idea how anyone can possibly stand using the PS 3D Display as a monitor. The color reproduction is awful, it has basically zero adjust-ability, and there are mirrors that are less reflective than that thing.

I'm just amazed it's still working.

Enordash

I was using two for a while, but recently ditched them both. I actually have one that's just in the box sitting in my closet. I honestly don't know why I thought they were a good idea at the time. Also, one of them just randomly blacks out for about three seconds from time to time. This is usually only mildly annoying until it completely screws you over in a game. I would not recommend them to anyone.

I can't seem to find a desk that's not the metal/glass L-desk that it seems a good amount of people use (including myself). I'm almost tempted to use something that is more designed to be a dining table. I don't want a thousand drawers or a huge hutch. Anyone have luck with this recently?

pheonix991

Neo Member
I was using two for a while, but recently ditched them both. I actually have one that's just in the box sitting in my closet. I honestly don't know why I thought they were a good idea at the time. Also, one of them just randomly blacks out for about three seconds from time to time. This is usually only mildly annoying until it completely screws you over in a game. I would not recommend them to anyone.

I can't seem to find a desk that's not the metal/glass L-desk that it seems a good amount of people use (including myself). I'm almost tempted to use something that is more designed to be a dining table. I don't want a thousand drawers or a huge hutch. Anyone have luck with this recently?

I used an interior door with some 4x4 post for legs, connected together for stability with a 1x2. Stained it, and looks fine. Next time I'll go with an exterior door though. It was the only thing deep enough, and long enough that I could find that suited my needs/wants.

Enordash

I used an interior door with some 4x4 post for legs, connected together for stability with a 1x2. Stained it, and looks fine. Next time I'll go with an exterior door though. It was the only thing deep enough, and long enough that I could find that suited my needs/wants.

Cool deal. I won't feel as crazy using that table now if that's what I decide on doing.

gokieks

If you have an IKEA nearby, check out the GALANT line. They're solidly built (by any standard, not just IKEA), looks nice, reasonably priced, and modular so you have tremendous amounts of flexibility in how you want your desk to look (L shape, round corners, etc.). Everyone I know who owns one, including myself, loves it.

Galdius

Got a new TV this weekend in preparation for next-gen, which sounds like it might be here sooner than we know it - can't wait!

9538766711_7c773f8064_b.jpg

9538765357_731533e018_b.jpg

PC Specs:

LD PC-V7
Asus RIVF
i7 3820 @ 4.6

Love your TV.

Lo-Volt

Congrats! How are you liking your LG? Have you had a chance to test your existing consoles on it? (I own one of the firm's 2012 TVs, but not a Google-equipped model.)

Enordash

If you have an IKEA nearby, check out the GALANT line. They're solidly built (by any standard, not just IKEA), looks nice, reasonably priced, and modular so you have tremendous amounts of flexibility in how you want your desk to look (L shape, round corners, etc.). Everyone I know who owns one, including myself, loves it.

I wish I had an IKEA nearby. I just moved down to NW Louisiana and the nearest I'm seeing is a ten hour round trip. Thanks for the suggestion, though. Hopefully this can help anyone else looking for a better quality desk than some Walmart throw together. I ended up going with an Ergotron Workfit-D which converts from sitting to standing. I don't actually get it until today so I'll report back with any pains it causes. I'm worried that I'll have a lot of connection problems when it's at a standing position. Cable management is going to be key.

Macheezmo

This is just my gaming room. My 360/PS3/Wii U are hooked up to my 55" TV in the living room.

This corner is really just to show the poster with the excitebike guy on top. One of the walls is my wife's for her crafting stuff. The 3-Drawer bin has some random controllers in it
20130705_1421501.jpg

There are 3 switchboxes, an A/B coax switcher, and 3 power strips hooking everything up at once. Systems on main shelf are: Wii, N64, PS2, Intellivision, NES, SNES, Sega Genesis/CD, Dreamcast.
20130705_1421361.jpg

Systems here are: Virtual Boy, Atari 2600, XBox, Saturn, Gamecube, 3DO, Master System
20130705_1421281.jpg

On top is Model 1 Genesis/Sega CD/Power Base convertor, SMS model 2, and mini SNES. The rest is game boxes, some board games, misc large controllers, and the first 100 issues of Nintendo Power plus a few other random issues. Theres a Red Octane DDR pad tucked behind it.
20130705_1421091.jpg

The cubby for all of my controllers.
20130705_1420421.jpg

A general overview with the shelf with all of my old school games on it. Everything PS2 and newer is in my living room.
20130705_1420251.jpg

Satchel

Banned
So I made a few slight adjustments and added some "bling"

temporary_zpsdaaab1ae.jpg

temporary_zps9e25539b.jpg

The OUYA is there now, but where the OUYA and WiiU are now, the PS4 will go later on, and the top right gap where the 360 accessories are is where the One will go.

I've also decided to use my Black PS3 instead of the Silver one now, and ditto for my Black S 360 instead of the Halo 4 one, which are now packed away.

temporary_zpsf7206dfa.jpg

I've moved my Wii over with the retro consoles and pulled out my Saturn now too.

Ally1987

What's that chair? Need a new one with good back support

I higly recommend this chair. I have had many chairs, and all of them have got me problems with my back. This one doesnt, you can adjust the backangle and sitt just way you like.

so awesome looking at all the setups in this thread! I just bought a house last week and we're still getting moved in, but once things settle down I'll have to get my setup put together and thrown on here!

imBask

Banned
So many of you guys with single monitor setup and im looking for a 3rd one... How can you guys manage your stuff? Not trying to be condescending, im just impressed/astonished

Omikaru

So many of you guys with single monitor setup and im looking for a 3rd one... How can you guys manage your stuff? Not trying to be condescending, im just impressed/astonished

Until you've used multiple monitors, one seems perfectly adequate.

mkenyon

Banned
Industrial Wire Shelves. Saves space by having the monitors directly above your hands, and allows you to neatly zip-tie all the cables to reduce clutter.

Using a single 1920x1080 screen feels super cramped to me, however using a single 2560x1440 screen is more than manageable.

Until you've used multiple monitors, one seems perfectly adequate.

I use dual monitors at work. While I agree from a productivity standpoint that it's so much better, from a gaming standpoint I only need a single monitor.

I'll have to post some pics soon of my humble gaming setup.

Top Bottom