• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Single words / expressions that make you dismiss an entire post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
"Neo-Liberal"

Technically it could be considered a normal term, but it's used only by the lunatic fringe left from what I've seen.

"Cultural Marxist"

This is a term only used by white supremacists who hate women.

If you're using one of these terms ironically (like benji does) or to discuss why these terms are dumb, then that's fine. Otherwise...

Well, technically every blanket term and generalization could fit in here, as they are mostly used for ad-hominem attacks rather than actually discussing the issue.

One that really bothers me is "bigot/bigoted" when used to shut down any discussions on religion or culture for example. I can see what makes the term attractive to some people, makes oneself look enlightened and sophisticated and sets the opponent on the defensive. The beauty of it is of course that it requires neither of those things to say it.

NinjaBoiX

PopGAF's penchant for hyperbole, everything is either the second coming of Christ or actually worse than Hitler.

And the annoying gifs that seemed to get used with barely any relevance.
This pisses me off so much

Its COULDNT CARE LESS

C O U L D N T

Could care less implies that you DO CARE AND ARE THEREFOR ABLE TO CARE LESS
It's worse, it basically implies that you care more than you know you probably should. It's like they got it so wrong that it means literally the opposite of what it's meant to!

Pedrito

Conspiracy theorist lingo:

-sheeple
-banksters
-lamestream media
-new world order/NWO
-presstitutes
-zionist
-Bildeberg
-Rothschild
-chemtrails
etc.

Clearos

*LOL* or any form of that at the end of a sentence.

I feel it allows the poster to be passive agressive to someone but if they are called out on it they can just say "Oh I was only joking!" to save face.

PopGAF's penchant for hyperbole, everything is either the second coming of Christ or actually worse than Hitler.

And the annoying gifs that seemed to get used with barely any relevance.

It's worse, it basically implies that you care more than you know you probably should. It's like they got it so wrong that it means literally the opposite of what it's meant to!

I hate those stupid celebrity GIFs so goddamn much:

Rihanna: 13 #1 hits and 150 million records sold.

Leo: 0 oscars

tumblr_inline_n1h630gxPN1rt7tb9.gif

Nice OP. Loving the use of color.

ig3smCNU7B82S.gif

Hi rude :) Love the username and avatar combo lol!

Tell me what do you think about reigning Queen of Pop Madonna?

madonna3.gif

They're incredibly annoying and add absolutely NOTHING to the situation. Just a waste of bandwidth.

notworksafe

Sounds like everyone here just needs to start adding people to their ignore list rather than get heated over a word or two.

I'll second the PEACE mentions, its horrible.

I also immediately disregard the opinion of anyone that says things like "Man, strong women scare the shit out of people". There are a couple of times where this is applicable, but the majority of the time people just throw it out there as a response to any thread that criticizes a person that happens to be a woman, no matter what the criticism is or whether the rest of the thread has pretty much agreed the criticism is valid.

Jebusman

Banned
People shouldn't be using hyperbole and some of the attempts at humor I've seen in the conversations I've seen with people here. Things like that turn an intelligent conversation sour really fast. The hyperbole is just an attempt to strengthen your point with exaggeration, and most of the attempts at humor I see are snarky jabs people take at each other simply because they don't agree. Neither of these things add anything worthwhile to intelligent discourse.

The whole reason I stop taking people like that seriously is because I feel that they're a detriment to the conversation.

Hyperbole exists to allow the reader to more understand the writer's position, but not necessarily meant as a defense for that position itself, nor meant to be taken as a literal interpretation. What ruins intelligent discourse is when people outright dismiss topics because they can't seem to move past that.

If I make the hyperbolic statement "The Order is the greatest video game of all time", that shouldn't be read as me personally thinking The Order is in fact, the best video game of all time, but that I truly believe the game is great, and am exaggerating my point in order to get that across.

The problem with hyperbole is how people are using it incorrectly (Intending people to take it literally, aka, straight trolling) and how people read it literally (they can't grasp what hyperbole is), not with being hyperbolic itself. Hyperbole allows you to add emotion into writing, a normally emotionless medium.

Same with humor.

Why would I ever want to discredit or ignore people attempting to use these two things?

I also immediately disregard the opinion of anyone that says things like "Man, strong women scare the shit out of people". There are a couple of times where this is applicable, but the majority of the time people just throw it out there as a response to any thread that criticizes a person that happens to be a woman, no matter what the criticism is or whether the rest of the thread has pretty much agreed the criticism is valid.

Strawman anybody ? Strawman !

Izuna

Banned
I don't think anyone should.

Interestingly there was an article in this in the newspaper about people who rejected CVs for a similar reason. Sort of like that software they use to filter out the ones that don't include key words of the job description, they also searched for terms and words that seemed unprofessional or such.

The most common thing people put in their CVs was a term so uninspired, it is almost immediately discouraged as soon as someone seeks help when writing one. "I work/perform well/good in a team."

The major issue is that companies who did this don't understand that it was the illuminati who programmed humans to think this way. They took our free will and our personality is based on our looks. This is also why locals cannot be real Hawaiians. I'm not racist but, the 1% are controlling the minds of the public and are rejecting our basic human rights by making lives hard for all us niggas.

Alx

"first post nails it"
"and we're done here"
"one and done"

/thread.

I mean, that annoys me too. How arrogant is it to pretend everything has been said and anything you would add can't be relevant ? Even if it is said as a joke, it is really annoying.

Also I can't take seriously any opinion where "piece of shit" or similar expressions are used. If you're more than 12 you can dislike something and still provide articulate arguments, and especially avoid all childish hyperbole.

Hyperbole exists to allow the reader to more understand the writer's position, but not necessarily meant as a defense for that position itself, nor meant to be taken as a literal interpretation. What ruins intelligent discourse is when people outright dismiss topics because they can't seem to move past that.

If I make the hyperbolic statement "The Order is the greatest video game of all time", that shouldn't be read as me personally thinking The Order is in fact, the best video game of all time, but that I truly believe the game is great, and am exaggerating my point in order to get that across.

The problem with hyperbole is how people are using it incorrectly (Intending people to take it literally) and how people read it literally (they can't grasp what hyperbole is), not with being hyperbolic itself. Hyperbole allows you to add emotion into writing, a normally emotionless medium.

Same with humor.

Why would I ever want to discredit or ignore people attempting to use these two things?
This is the hyperbole I'm talking about. Sure, hyperbole can be used to make a point, but most people here just use it as a way to make a snarky jab or will use it to take someone else's point and make it look like they're saying something they're not. It's not just that they're using them, it's that the way they're using them doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Also, honestly, I'd rather people take time and write out their opinions about the Order instead of just using hyperbole to make a quick statement like that. If you're trying to have a reasonable conversation it doesn't do anyone good to just talk at the extreme ends of an issue, even if you're just exaggerating. It just seems like a lazy way to add your voice to the conversation without actually saying anything. Every big thread on this forum eventually gets cluttered with a bunch of people making the same bad jokes over and over and eventually will devolve into shit slinging where people use hyperbole to try and make other people look bad.

Mesoian

PC police/SJW's/etc used unironically. Stop there, you have nothing important to say. 💩

Someone used feminazi nonironically in a conversation yesterday which caused me to roll my eyes and detach. That's a pretty good one.

I won't automatically detach upon hearing SJW because there is a still a link between that the problem of tumblr activism that can be addressed. But when someone starts using it to bash feminism or equal rights, that's when I check out.

Jebusman

Banned
This is the hyperbole I'm talking about. Sure, hyperbole can be used to make a point, but most people here just use it as a way to make a snarky jab or will use it to take someone else's point and make it look like they're saying something they're not. It's not just that they're using them, it's that the way they're using them doesn't add anything to the conversation.

But you don't make that distinction when you mentioned that discussion doesn't need those things. That's the problem. It's the problem with the premise of this very thread. People are too quick to outright dismiss entire posts and opinions because of either pedantic issues, or misinterpreting genuine discourse as another "bad use of hyperbole/strawman". That is hurting intelligent discussion just as much as the people using these things incorrectly.

Also, honestly, I'd rather people take time and write out their opinions about the Order instead of just using hyperbole to make a quick statement like that. If you're trying to have a reasonable conversation it doesn't do anyone good to just talk at the extreme ends of an issue, even if you're just exaggerating. It just seems like a lazy way to add your voice to the conversation without actually saying anything

It seems like a lazy way to you, but it's a core part of writing and has been for centuries. I agree that hyperbole gets used incorrectly, but in and of itself it has a very real purpose in turning something that is normally void of emotion (writing) into something emotional. Even if it's only a short statement it has it's place and the few people here willing to dismiss those who use it sadden me.

Fuchsdh

I have two:

smh
It's on his way out, this one, and rightfully so. It shows some kind of passive aggressive dismissal where the user also often also believes no further argumentation is needed. "Apparently someone is so wrong and beyond help that I can only virtually shake my head."

welp
I don't even know what this one means? Is it a gasp made by utter bewilderment? It makes you look incredibly stupid, that's for sure. It feels especially out of place when used by mature posters. Check the "tinder is a payed app" thread for an overdose of welping. This one is still on the rise.

I watched the movie yesterday.

welp-poster.jpg

(edit: it's a Dutch language movie, and welp means wolf cub)

I can see the point with smh, since as you say it's more about disparaging someone rather than responding constructively. "Welp" can be used in the same way, but I think it's also just a harmless lingual tic as well. Like how I say "mayhaps" often.

Oare

It means that now, only because so many people don't realize their misuse of the word. It's often the same people who say something is ironic when it's just a coincidence.

Yeah, I know, right? Those figures of speech… They should warrant an automatic ban.

I mean, come on:
"Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow".
Who is the moron who said that crap?
Sorrow can't be sweet! Sorrow is bitter, by definition!

If you ever get the chance to tell the guy, please also tell him "spear" doesn't take an "e". For fuck's sake! Err… I mean, for coitus' sake!

Anything that directly points out how controversial you think what you're saying is. Things like "people are gonna hate me for this but/come at me/there I said it/I went there". How about fuck your shit.

Jebusman

Banned
Anything that directly points out how controversial you think what you're saying is. Things like "people are gonna hate me for this but/come at me/there I said it/I went there". How about fuck your shit.

Those are people who came into the discussion with a preconceived notion of how people would respond. They were likely ready to defend their position in a certain way, and will actively seek out the few people who "do" respond the way they expected in order to validate their opinion. When people start acting or reacting differently, they move the goal posts or start pulling out (ACTUAL) strawman arguments in order to invent an opponent to which he can defend himself from.

That honestly does bother me, but there's no stopping me from trying to get through to them still.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
A few of those are mildly annoying at the worst, nothing worth dismissing entire posts or getting worked up over or whatever, IMO. But I make an exception for these:

SJW
Feminazi
Peace
Rouge*
"I'm not [bigot], I have [minority] friends"

In this case I admit that I'll dismiss anyone writing any of these things unironically. For my own sanity.

* unless talking about the colour red or the make-up

But you don't make that distinction when you mentioned that discussion doesn't need those things. That's the problem. It's the problem with the premise of this very thread. People are too quick to outright dismiss entire posts and opinions because of either pedantic issues, or misinterpreting genuine discourse as another "bad use of hyperbole/strawman". That is hurting intelligent discussion just as much as the people using these things incorrectly.
The thing is if I saw someone saying "The Order is the greatest game ever made!" I wouldn't consider it genuine discourse. It's a person purposefully exaggerating their point just so they can bring attention to it. That's a very hollow statement, and it doesn't really add anything to the conversation at hand outside of the fact that you like a video game. It would be far better if that person cut out the exaggeration and actually broke down why they enjoyed the game so much.

I think part of the issue is that on the internet if your opinion isn't at one of the extremes, that opinion tends to go unheard or ignored. So now people think the only way for them to get a point across is to exaggerate their opinion to the point that it grabs other people's attention. Everything is either "The worst game ever made." or "The best thing to ever exist.", and it gets to a point where it's hard to take seriously.

Almost every time I see posts like the quote you made up, that's all the person has to say. Sure, they have a right to say it, but what does it really add to the conversation? Why should I be paying attention to it? It gives me nothing to volley back with in the conversation, and feels like people talking just so their voice can be heard.

DOWN

Banned
/thread.

I mean, that annoys me too. How arrogant is it to pretend everything has been said and anything you would add can't be relevant ? Even if it is said as a joke, it is really annoying.

Also I can't take seriously any opinion where "piece of shit" or similar expressions are used. If you're more than 12 you can dislike something and still provide articulate arguments, and especially avoid all childish hyperbole.

It's usually used when the first post is so clear or such a popular choice to answer the OP, that it is unlikely the thread will provide a more fitting response. It doesn't actually mean others can't or shouldn't elaborate, but rather that the first post got the most fitting answer for the OP, right from the start.

And I agree on the hyperbole, I immediately think less of people who state something or some public figure is a 'piece of shit' or similar. Especially when it has a wide audience who clearly enjoyed it and gave it success.

Jebusman

Banned
The thing is if I saw someone saying "The Order is the greatest game ever made!" I wouldn't consider it genuine discourse. It's a person purposefully exaggerating their point just so they can bring attention to it. That's a very hollow statement, and it doesn't really add anything to the conversation at hand outside of the fact that you like a video game. It would be far better if that person cut out the exaggeration and actually broke down why they enjoyed the game so much.

I think part of the issue is that on the internet if your opinion isn't at one of the extremes, that opinion tends to go unheard or ignored. So now people think the only way for them to get a point across is to exaggerate their opinion to the point that it grabs other people's attention.

Almost every time I see posts like the quote you made up, that's all the person has to say. Sure, they have a right to say it, but what does it really add to the conversation? Why should I be paying attention to it? It gives me nothing to volley back with in the conversation, and feels like people talking just so their voice can be heard.

I'm coming from this with the position of someone who browsed 4chan since 2006/2007. If ever there was a place in which short form, hyperbolic statements reigned supreme, it's there.

We still manage to have (semi) intelligent discussion between each other, even when using ridiculously hyperbolic statements.

I just think the issue is more with the general attitude of the posters and those without the patience to see it through, rather than the method in which some of them are trying to engage in discourse. It's very possible to engage some of these "The Order is GOTYAYEYFE" style posts into further discussion, but no one wants to try because no one has the patience to see it through.

ChrisD

Nothing. Dismissing an entire post due to one or two words or phrases sounds silly. Wonder how much overlap there is with people that don't read a thread's OP due to something setting them off.

"huh", some people say it at the start of every post, it means nothing and sounds stupid (especially written where there's no obvious intonation)

after some consideration yeah those celebrity gifs are really annoying, with text its much more easier to gloss over with what people post. please stop pop-gaf.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm surprised by the amount of people who hate the same stuff I hate. I guess because those posts are dismissed it gives the illusion that it's appreciated by everyone.

Mr Git

Because of the incorrect spelling?

Partly yes. Even using per se particularly every other sentence makes me twitch (and reminds me of the goth kids from South Park) as its use is often incorrect, but c'mon if you're gonna use Latin.. at least write Latin.

I'm coming from this with the position of someone who browsed 4chan since 2006/2007. If ever there was a place in which short form, hyperbolic statements reigned supreme, it's there.

We still manage to have (semi) intelligent discussion between each other, even when using ridiculously hyperbolic statements.

I just think the issue is more with the general attitude of the posters and those without the patience to see it through, rather than the method in which some of them are trying to engage in discourse. It's very possible to engage some of these "The Order is GOTYAYEYFE" style posts into further discussion, but no one wants to try because no one has the patience to see it through.
I'm sure we could, but why waste the time? I don't gain anything by dissecting someones hyperbolic opinion of the Order to the point that I can actually understand what their opinion is with all of the exaggeration removed, and there are plenty of people here capable of having reasonable discourse without the need of exaggerating their opinion. All it's doing is cluttering up the conversation and making people either ignore it, or challenging the person to delve further into their exaggerated opinion. Trying to figure out what hyperbolic people mean with their hyperbolic statements is a waste of time when there are plenty of people posing opinions that are already reasonable and add to the conversation.

I'd say that if your opinion is so hyperbolic that it's a hassle to see through the conversation then the person being hyperbolic needs to be the one to change their approach.

MikeyB

There are some interesting ones here that I'm disappointed to see make people stop reading. Specifically, any slightly technical or academic term that is prone to misuse.

Neoliberal and strawman are really useful terms. They're used incorrectly all the time though. We really ought to call out people misusing these terms. After all, who can forget what happened to "begs the question"? I'll never forget.

LeleSocho

Banned
People that consciously use shit like "per say", "could care less" and other broken constructs hiding behind the "language is an ever-morphing thing!" bullshit... no dear friend you are just being an ignorant idiot that can't stitch two words together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom