• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sink your teeth into these 10 independent titles, coming to PlayStation in 2014.

There are a lot not even listed.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
Rogue Legacy
Starbound
Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty!
Outlast
Daylight
Mercenary Kings
N++
Ray's the Dead
Velocity 2X
Volume

Yeah was gonna say the same.

Personally looking forward to The Binding Of Isaac, Oddworld, Outlast.

Btw, what about galak-z?

Rime and Rapture are both PS4 exclusives while Helldivers will be on the PS3, PS4, and Vita (with crossplay between all three). All of those are full exclusives to PS platforms. Sony Santa Monica is helping out with the development of Rapture and Foster City is helping out with Helldivers.

Just plain old typical exclusives as far as I am aware, Sony is either helping with them or just outright paying and publishing for exclusivity for consoles. Rime and EGttR are PS4 only and Helldivers is coming for PS3/4/Vita.

Thank you. Looks like I should start saving up!

Is Helldivers technically indie if it's published by Sony? Looking forward to that one. Magicka x Starship Troopers!

Hopefully these are out soonish. A lot of great games there.

ViviOggi

This is all an exercise in semantics anyway but Sony guaranteed Drinkbox royalties with which they could go to a bank to get a loan to fund the game.

Housemarque did not have to go through that route and just got the money straight up.

The team sizes are probably very similar, so the only difference is that one has one level on indirection to get funding from Sony. If that is the hinge on which we hang up what is Indie even though in both cases Sony is the security which allows the developer to develop the game.

I think company size is a better barometer for what is Indie. But in the end as I said above, it's all semantics and nobody will agree on what it means. We know this from music.
I was about to type a longer response when I saw your edit and I agree that this argument is leading nowhere, so I'd say we drop it. Company size definitely is a factor, but I wouldn't say it's the only one.

Celegus

That is an incredible lineup. There's still no AAA games I care about, but this list of indies is probably enough for me to pick up a PS4 at some point this year.

They pulled the post? Weird.

Hopefully they come back with a full 2014 indie lineup for PS4/Vita to avoid confusion. I don't need hard dates but it would be nice to know what all is going to be 2014.

Would also be nice to get an update on things that were pushed to 2014 like Mercenary Kings.

v1lla21

I'm most excited about The Witness than anything else on that list. I was hoping to see assault android cactus and Galak-Z in there. I'm sure AAC is coming out this year but I'm not too sure about Galak-Z. In one interview I saw, one of the Galak-Z devs made it sound like the game was coming out late 2014.

Raoh

Personally, I'm most looking forward to Outlast and Daylight. Both look like solid horror experiences, though I'm looking forward to the former more so.

OUTLAST

DAYLIGHT

This and

Helldivers
Secret Ponchos
Hyperlight Drifter

and I'm good to go.

Is H-Hour considered and indie title as well? What is the time frame for that one.

Hope Helldivers plays like guardian of light. Enjoyed the hell out of that game and I pLayed alone.

I've loved the look of Helldivers since it was announced, and it's even more exciting given that the developers of Magika are behind it. It bears a pretty strong resemblance to Halo: Spartan Assault (a coincidence, I expect), but looks like Starship Troopers crossed with Dead Nation, and a little bit of Savage Moon thrown in for good measure.

They forgot about Assault Android Cactus and Energy Hook

I've been interested in Energy Hook, but from Nerd3's early look at the Alpha it looks like a lot of the mechanics still need work to be truly fun. I'm sure there's still lots of work to be done and it will get there.

I get Daylight, Dying Light, The Evil Within and Outlast all mixed up all the time.

So The Evil Within is created by Resident Evil creator Shinju Mikami.

Outlast is the February Free PlayStation Plus Game for NA and Europe.

Dying Light is the First Person Survival Horror game with Parkour elements.

And Daylight is the game that auto generates each "map" and no two games are alike, and you only use your camera phone light.

Is that correct? I am pretty hyped for all of them, actually.

I get Daylight, Dying Light, The Evil Within and Outlast all mixed up all the time.

So The Evil Within is created by Resident Evil creator Shinju Mikami.

Outlast is the February Free PlayStation Plus Game for NA and Europe.

Dying Light is the First Person Survival Horror game with Parkour elements.

And Daylight is the game that auto generates each "map" and no two games are alike, and you only use your camera phone light.

Is that correct? I am pretty hyped for all of them, actually.

Yes, you've got them all exactly right. I'm not particularly interested in Daylight, but the others are looking great. I believe Outlast got lukewarm reviews, but I'll still check it out when I get a PS4. I think I'm one of the few who really liked Dead Island, so I'm looking forward to more of the same with parkour and hopefully more polish.

RedSwirl

To me it still seems like the indie games showing up on PS4 are sort of like an HBO selection or something like that. Like Sony has become a cable network or channel that manages to just scrape the top layer of the cream of indie gaming every season.

jayu26

pavillion and secret ponchos, sweet snags sony!

pavilion!

end.gif

portal.gif

puzzle_alt.gif

Secret ponchos!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwjrz4d6M5M
Oh wow! How was this off my radar?

Melchiah

It may have been by an independent studio, but the game's development was still bankrolled and published by SCE.

Isn't the SCE logo, that appears during the Resogun's startup, a telling sign that it's published by Sony?

So many interesting indie titles in the horizon, and a plethora of horror. Hopefully Rime and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture won't be pushed until next year. Speaking of 2015, Frictional's SOMA is something I'm really looking forward to.

Top Bottom