• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sink your teeth into these 10 independent titles, coming to PlayStation in 2014.

Marvel

could never
pavillion and secret ponchos, sweet snags sony!

pavilion!

end.gif

portal.gif

puzzle_alt.gif

Secret ponchos!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwjrz4d6M5M

I did not know anything about this!? wow that looks good.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Sony has apparently been gunning for DayZ since before they announced the PS4 (remember the early UI showing a guy named DayZ100?). Dean Hall has confirmed that he's going to do a console version, but PC comes first.

Good to hear on DayZ, have some friends with no PC that would love the hell out of the game. Any word on the others?

7 Days to Die
Rust
or
No Mans Sky

Some Nobody

Too bad we didn't get some dates yet 2014 is too vague for me.

Well I guess they ready when they are ready.

Right? When you tell me "Coming 2014", my response is, "So it's out right now?"

At this point at least nail down what three month quarter your game's coming out in.

And, of this list, Secret Ponchos is the only thing that piques my interest, but seeing as how Q1 is rather dry, if it comes out next month or even early March it's guaranteed some PS4 time.

Zia

Those are a lot of wonderful PlayStation exclusives. With so many hot, young developers leveraging fresh IP that you can only experience on your PlayStation Vita and PlayStation 4, it's truly a wonderful time to be a part of the PlayStation family.

Good to hear on DayZ, have some friends with no PC that would love the hell out of the game. Any word on the others?

7 Days to Die
Rust
or
No Mans Sky

Not much. Shahid and XDev (Sony's Euro external dev branch) have both expressed interest in NMS, but that's about it. No platforms have been specifically mentioned for it. And I haven't heard anything about the other two.

Technically Rime, EGttR and Helldivers are not indie, as Sony owns the IPs. I'm looking forward to pretty much all of these though; loves me some indie games. I'll play them on my Vita if possible.

Are those all the PS 4 exclusives? Timed exclusive, 6 mo or 1 mo? I need to know, some of these games are system sellers to me personally.

Momentary

Banned
Some of these games aren't even indie. Is this a new buzzword now? It's almost like they're using Indie as a way to describe titles that can only be obtained digitally. If you're being published or funded by a big damn corporation, you're not independent.

Are those all the PS 4 exclusives? Timed exclusive, 6 mo or 1 mo? I need to know, some of these games are system sellers to me personally.

Rime and Rapture are both PS4 exclusives while Helldivers will be on the PS3, PS4, and Vita (with crossplay between all three). All of those are full exclusives to PS platforms. Sony Santa Monica is helping out with the development of Rapture and Foster City is helping out with Helldivers.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Glad to see some horror games in the mix. Although Daylight and Outlast look pretty similar (based on trailers I've seen).

Hope Helldivers plays like guardian of light. Enjoyed the hell out of that game and I pLayed alone.

The Witness intrigues me just because it's blow. Hope there is some organic story mixed in with the puzzling.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

Just plain old typical exclusives as far as I am aware, Sony is either helping with them or just outright paying and publishing for exclusivity for consoles. Rime and EGttR are PS4 only and Helldivers is coming for PS3/4/Vita.

Vishnu

Is there any chance for Dear Esther, Papers Please, and The Stanley Parable?

I only have a really crap pc, and I want to play these games more than the next MGS or Uncharted.

Some of these games aren't even indie. Is this a new buzzword now? It's almost like they're using Indie as a way to describe titles that can only be obtained digitally. If you're being published or funded by a big damn corporation, you're not independent.

Nowadays it pretty much applies to any downloadable game put out by a small 3rd party studio. If you use your criteria games like Limbo and Braid are not indies.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So Resogun is indie, huh? Can't wait for the PC release then.

Housemarque is an independent studio, or indie studio, so yes Resogun is an Indie game. That doesn't mean it isn't and can't be an exclusive game, as far as I know they have no financial or otherwise support from Sony besides putting it on their platform.

stryke

Housemarque is an independent studio, or indie studio, so yes Resogun is an Indie game. That doesn't mean it isn't and can't be an exclusive game, as far as I know they have no financial or otherwise support from Sony besides putting it on their platform.

It may have been by an independent studio, but the game's development was still bankrolled and published by SCE.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rime not releasing in 2014 would be a huge disappointment for me.

kyser73

Wantwantwantwant all of the above, especially Helldivers. I would imagine some of those are going to be IGC items too.

More than any of those listed, and even Rime, I want Assault Andoid Cactus. I know I *could* buy it for my PC, but I want it on the big telly in the living room.

I want it soooooo bad.

jf DOOM

Really looking forward to Hotline Miami 2. The first game was amazing in Vita and I expect nothing less from the sequel. Hadn't read anything about Secret Ponchos before but the video sold me on it.

Sendou

Well then. I understand this could lead to ever so interesting conversation about the definition of "indie developer" but I'll pass. I still don't think Housemarque fully owns Resogun and can do with it what they want. Just like they don't own something like Outland.

More on the topic that is indeed an impressive list. Interested in Hotline Miami 2 and Transistor the most myself.

stryke

So it's still an indie game

The circumstances that I described is exactly like Insomiac's arrangement with Ratchet.

Would you call Ratchet an indie game?

Fuck it. This isn't the thread for this discussion (W101 was a better example too).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'll be getting Octodad, HLM2 and The Witness day 1 on PC. Ooh and Transistor.

In that case Resogun is about as indie as The Wonderful 101.

I definitely view Housemarque as more indie than Platinum. I don't think there is even a discussion here.

I like how some of these threads take a turn and question the validity of an indie. Indies can be funded or self funded. It's not illegal and if games like this might never come out then damn if I'm not happy Sony helped these little guys put a little game on the Vita.

ViviOggi

I definitely view Housemarque as more indie than Platinum. I don't think there is even a discussion here.

I like how some of these threads take a turn and question the validity of an indie. Indies can be funded or self funded. It's not illegal and if games like this might never come out then damn if I'm not happy Sony helped these little guys put a little game on the Vita.

I've never argued about them not being an independent studio. Both are, however neither Resogun nor W101 can reasonably be classified as indie games.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've never argued about them not being an independent studio. Both are, however neither Resogun nor W101 can reasonably be classified as indie games.

W101 came to retail and one was a cheap and awesome and free DD game. They are both videogames though.

Nestunt

Transistor, Hotline Miami 2, Hyper Light and Pavilion are on my watch

curious about 1001 spikes

and hoping for great ports of Rogue Legacy and Mercenary Kings

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Since it seems to have been largely self- and government-funded I would say it is. You could make an argument for the opposite as well though, this case isn't as clear-cut as Resogun's or TW101's.
This is all an exercise in semantics anyway but Sony guaranteed Drinkbox royalties with which they could go to a bank to get a loan to fund the game.

Housemarque did not have to go through that route and just got the money straight up.

The team sizes are probably very similar, so the only difference is that one has one level on indirection to get funding from Sony. If that is the hinge on which we hang up what is Indie even though in both cases Sony is the security which allows the developer to develop the game.

I think company size is a better barometer for what is Indie. But in the end as I said above, it's all semantics and nobody will agree on what it means. We know this from music.

Top Bottom