• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

TheOGB

Banned
They changed it to holding down two kicks for a few seconds and releasing. If you've played Street Fighter it's like doing Cody's Zonk Knuckle or Balrog's (Boxer) Turnaround Punch.

Chev

Maybe it's just me not getting the timing right but at times I get the impression the taunt won't come out unless I move at least once during the hold.

Putting this up here as Persona doesn't have a GAF account:

Hey guys, wanted to point out that what Peter wrote is incorrect:

"We do the really important stuff in-house, like the walks and idles. For everything else we just do the keyframes, and then use our contractors to finalize the animation and clean-up."

Mariel and I actually do nearly all the Skullgirls character animation inhouse: 85% of it is on us while only 15% is animated by contractors. We animate everything very rough and quickly, so we can test it ingame and see what works right or best matches the situation/needs for the game, changing frames or cutting moves altogether if it comes down to it. Once Mike approves them, then we assign those frames to our animation contractors who tie-down the drawings and fill in the missing details, which then gets passed to clean up. This way, no work is ever wasted from being cut later in the process and there's less need for back and forth changes. Also as a bonus, cleaned up frames can be dropped ingame immediately when it's complete and it works perfectly, as you may have noticed with Big Band!

What Peter describes as our process was something we used to do waaaaay back when we were working on Peacock, but we changed our process during Parasoul and have been using our current process for the years since. It's because of this method that we're able to develop the game as fast as we have been even with our tiny team.

Also each character's development is staggered so that animation will always be working on the next character while clean up is finishing the last character. This is why you're seeing Eliza while Big Band is still in an unfinished state and, several months from now, will probably see Beowulf show up when Eliza is eventually playable in the beta and also in an unfinished state.

Hopefully that clears up any misconceptions.

Pretty interesting. Sprite-based work seems like a lot of work, but when you think about it it requires a lot less individuals than a character model workflow.

Beats

Good games MisterLuffy. Man, there was one thing you kept doing in the earlier games where you would trigger the IPS for a moment just before I touched the ground during your combo, but then you threw me once I landed. I couldn't tech that at all lol >_<. Also, try using Parasoul's j.LP more instead of j.HP. If j.LP hits you can do j.HP right after and get a combo off it.

Good games MisterLuffy. Man, there was one thing you kept doing in the earlier games where you would trigger the IPS for a moment just before I touched the ground during your combo, but then you threw me once I landed. I couldn't tech that at all lol >_<. Also, try using Parasoul's j.LP more instead of j.HP. If j.LP hits you can do j.HP right after and get a combo off it.
My j.LP always whiffs. :(

Yeah ggs Beats. Your Filia and Squiggly gave me a hard time. Thanks, I'll try that. What was that combo you pulled off with Parasoul?

Beats

My j.LP always whiffs. :(

I just kinda got used to where I need to be so that it hits. I still whiff it sometimes though. : p

Yeah ggs Beats. Your Filia and Squiggly gave me a hard time. Thanks, I'll try that. What was that combo you pulled off with Parasoul?

Hmm, I just do:

cr.LP, cr.MK, cr.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j. HK
(j. MK, j.HP) - Only on some characters like Valentine, Parasoul or Double.
cr.LP, cr.MK, cr.HP
j. LP, j. MK, j. HK
cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP
j. LK, j. MK, j. HK
st.MP, st.HP(x2), Napalm Shot

It doesn't do that much though, but it's easy. >.<

I just kinda got used to where I need to be so that it hits. I still whiff it sometimes though. : p

Hmm, I just do:

cr.LP, cr.MK, cr.HP
j.MP, j.HP, j. HK
(j. MK, j.HP) - Only on some characters like Valentine, Parasoul or Double.
cr.LP, cr.MK, cr.HP
j. LP, j. MK, j. HK
cr.LK, cr.MK, cr.HP
j. LK, j. MK, j. HK
st.MP, st.HP(x2), Napalm Shot

It doesn't do that much though, but it's easy. >.<

I might give this combo a try. Other than that I'll stick the combos I know for now. Thanks for sharing.

I guess I'll have to start playing beta now that BigBand is moveset complete (I'm guessing?). Time to make combos!

It'll be a good opportunity to get used to the new undizzy limit as well, I know a lot of my fancier Peacock combos don't work anymore unless they have a counterhit starter.

Kioshen

I guess I'll have to start playing beta now that BigBand is moveset complete (I'm guessing?). Time to make combos!

It'll be a good opportunity to get used to the new undizzy limit as well, I know a lot of my fancier Peacock combos don't work anymore unless they have a counterhit starter.

Got a list of them close by you could share :3 ?

Great. Very Great. :bodiedbydisco:

Delayed or not it's still a response :). I'm already following Mr.Peck but now I know his combos are legit ! Man that undizzy is going to throw a wiked wrench in current combos isn't it :/.

If you're doing anything optimized then you're probably going to lose the ending string or two of your current combo. Your starter shenanigans should be fine though, all you have to do to prep for the new system is just getting used to cutting things off and going for a reset earlier.

NEO0MJ

Make me some good combos! I wonder how popular he'll be, considering that he's the first male character in the game, and will remain so for at least half a year.

Ravidrath

Make me some good combos! I wonder how popular he'll be, considering that he's the first male character in the game, and will remain so for at least half a year.

All kinds of people tell us they will pick up the game as soon as there's a male, so now it's time to see if that actually happens.

File me under "He's a robot so it doesn't count" "Husbandos in my Waifu Fighter? I never asked for this", "Fuck Beowulf", "When's Minette" and, "Multicharacter select when?"

Nyoro SF

Big Band does not feel like a male character. He is more like a robot.

I agree with Karst, he's more machine than man.

But that doesn't bother me. Once Big Band is in full working order I will be trying him as an assist on a Squigly point team
Because fuck Parasoul

alstein

Think BB may have some really good defensive assists- if Team Scrub ever makes it into SG, pretty sure BB will be the anchor char.

alstein

Why? And this prospect excites me because I really want to anchor him over Double.

Good horizontal assist that can cover Peacock. Maybe even Parasoul due to autoguard. Haven't really experimented with it, because it's something you can't experiment with except vs live comp.

Top Bottom