• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Dachande

I'll be getting this on 360, but shall be downloading the demo from the US PSN store on Tuesday night to get some practice in with Filia. Determined to get in as close to the ground floor as possible with this.

My details:
XBL: Orochidache

I probably won't have a mic adapter for my TE, so I mostly likely won't be voicechatting.

Rorshock520

Neo Member
Mike Z is such a pretentious shithead. He calls this game "Fixed Marvel 2." By fixed, he means full of panty shots?
By fixed, he means fixed. Mike obviously loves Marvel 2, that's why he put so much effort into making SG feel similar. He also, however, wanted to remove some of Marvel 2's...erm...problematic things such as infinites, unblockables, etc.

Ties

Banned
Mike Z is such a pretentious shithead. He calls this game "Fixed Marvel 2." By fixed, he means full of panty shots?
I love Marvel vs Capcom 2 as much as the next guy, but that game was pretty damn broken.

I'm just happy Skullgirls is trying to emulate MvC2 in its gameplay mechanics.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I hope too many people aren't turned off by the lack of a move list. I mean I personally don't care, but if a lot of newer people are attracted by the often praised training system, they might be a little bummed.

...what? Seriously? I'm pretty much boned from the start then.

Really though, why does nobody think this game has the potential to suck?

Behold Double

Definitely one of the smoothest videos we've gotten for Double yet. It just came out a couple of hours ago. Anyone who is not familiar with the character outside the OP should definitely take a look.

SkullGirls, all you need to know

The newest in depth preview of the game for folks who live in the UK. They touch on a lot of stuff ranging from the early history of the game(highschool doodles and rapid tournament tweaks) to modern mechanics like character unique snapbacks(Ms.Fortune has two for example), character supers and the general basics. I'd say it is worth a watch for the new folks as well since you get a decent look at the menus in the beginning. The vids in the bottom section of the OP really should be watched for a better all around understanding of the game though.
I love Marvel vs Capcom 2 as much as the next guy, but that game was pretty damn broken.

I'm just happy Skullgirls is trying to emulate MvC2 in its gameplay mechanics.
Yep, I love the game too and I'm willing to play it whenever there is free time, but the game is broken. That is a big part of it's appeal though. It is the only fighting game that will ever be praised for it's over the top balance issues and mechanics. I <3 that game so much.

It's far from nobody. This game will have the same niche as Arcana Heart. Good luck getting a pervert division at majors.

joe2187

Banned

I love MVC2 as well, but it was full of more broken bullshit I've seen in a fighting game. So yeah, it's a fixed version of MVC2.

I can understand the dislike in the art style, but you dont have to be such a troll.

I love MVC2 as well, but it was full of more broken bullshit I've seen in a fighting game. So yeah, it's a fixed version of MVC2.

I can understand the dislike in the art style, but you dont have to be such a troll.

Seriously, what did they fix? If they took all the broken shit out of mvc2 it wouldn't be fun anymore.

The developers have been incredibly open about showing off the game at various events and answering user questions and thus far the game simply hasn't come away with much in terms of negative feedback from the people who've played it. You've got a lot in terms of open endorsements from people who play these sorts of games competitively and I think that's another reason why people are just getting really excited about the game's prospects.

I've been personally following the games development since MikeZ was first showing it off at Family Fun Arcade (back when Filia was the only playable char) and I just come away from each quick look impressed with the level of thought that's seemingly went into every facet of the game. It's especially exciting for those who, lately at least, have been sort of dissatisfied with the fighting game offerings from companies like Capcom as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the game does suck, why haven't we heard that fact from the literally hundreds of people who've been able to get their hands on the game up until this point?

What did he fix? Serious question.

The infinite prevention system and doing their best to make sure that characters aren't just categorized as assist characters are probably some of the biggest fixes to the system overall. Though it wasn't necessarily a problem in MVC2 you could also say the addition of custom assists has enhanced the team based system overall. I love Marvel 2 as much as the next guy but it's pretty hard to argue that the game isn't basically held together with bubble gum and bandaids.

It's a small OT with a handful of posters, some of whom have been following the game since it began it's proper development a few years ago. The OT being mostly positive != everyone thinks it's flawless. If you're looking for more contention that the poster who's losing it over a half-hearted joke, give it some time. I imagine that The Escapist backlash will wrap around again and open up some old wounds, and maybe split open the scabs from Cross-gate in the process.

Besides, they said they'd patch it in as soon as possible, and considering that Ravidrath has been as honest as possible throughout development, I'm inclined to believe him.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Hey, why go to SRK forums when SRK forums can come to you!

"Animu pervert loligame mikez sux MVC2 4evar only good game 6 characters says fuck YOU!"

Am I doing it right?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
It's far from nobody. This game will have the same niche as Arcana Heart. Good luck getting a pervert division at majors.

Far from nobody, but yet none of these people actually have anything to complain about other than panty shots.

Weird.

Ravidrath

Hey, why go to SRK forums when SRK forums can come to you!

"Animu pervert loligame mikez sux MVC2 4evar only good game 6 characters says fuck YOU!"

Am I doing it right?

<3

Am I reading the Skullgirls OT or some random fighting game stream chat?

You're reading what happens in every new Skullgirls thread on the internet!

The reviews are going to be very solid, but I don't expect that to change some peoples' minds.

I don't understand the hostility here frankly. Pervert division? Do the panty shots in the game distract in any way from the quality of the fighting game with its diverse character roster and mechanics?

I don't think anyone here expects the game to suddenly topple Capcom fighters in sheer numbers but ... does it need to? Does the popularity of the game speak for its inherent quality? I really hope you don't write off the game because you're upset that the developer compared it to MvC2, try out the demo when it hits!

Ferrio

Banned
Wait people are shitting on this game? Really?

A developer making a fighting game that actually cares about the community and doesn't see it as a huge walking wallet, and you guys are bad mouthing it? Priorities people.

Oh shit, sorry for interrupting your circle jerk.

So if I understand this thread correctly, it's marvel 2 panties edition, with a button to stop attack loops and the ability to input dragon punches on the assist select screen? And you can choose less than 3 characters out of necessity since there aren't enough characters to go around?

This is fixed marvel 2?

Riposte

So if I understand this thread correctly, it's marvel 2 panties edition, with a button to stop attack loops and the ability to input dragon punches on the assist select screen? And you can choose less than 3 characters out of necessity since there aren't enough characters to go around?

This is fixed marvel 2?

I don't think we need to be in a circle-jerk to say you are acting like a dick.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh yeah
XBL|TheOGB13|Midwest US|CST
Fillia and Cerebella (and possibly Ms. Fortune) because I am a shoto loving idiot :V

Edit: People taking shots at panties? Launch party complete

LegatoB

This is fixed marvel 2?
So you disagree that Marvel 2 has serious design problems that can and should be addressed without turning the game into Fate Of Two X-Factors?

joe2187

Banned

This is fixed marvel 2?

So you just have a problem with the MVC2 Comparison? you seem to be rather aggressive in that critiscism then.

Since you are a big MVC2 fan, tell me that you at least played any other characters that werent sentinel, magneto, storm, or cable

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I thought you could do 3 v 3 in ths game? Why are a lot of people picking only twp people? Yes, I know about the ratio system.

Hearing that they are trying to "fix" Marvel vs. Capcom 2 reminds me of Sirlin "fixing" SSF2X... not saying he can't, I'll believe it when I see it. =x.

Ravidrath

I thought you could do 3 v 3 in ths game? Why are a lot of people picking only twp people? Yes, I know about the ratio system.

Hearing that they are trying to "fix" Marvel vs. Capcom 2 reminds me of Sirlin "fixing" SSF2X... not saying he can't, I'll believe it when I see it. =x.

You can play 3v3. Also, 1v1, 1v2, 1v3, 2v2, 2v3.

And making a new game to address problems with a game is slightly different than retuning an old fan-favorite.

So you just have a problem with the MVC2 Comparison? you seem to be rather aggressive in that critiscism then.

Since you are a big MVC2 fan, tell me that you at least played any other characters that werent sentinel, magneto, storm, or cable

i used captain commando as well

Make sense to me actually, at least in many game plans you have a best point character and a best assist. So the easy solution is to just double up the ratio on your point to keep them alive as long as possible and just have the one best assist backing them up. With three character you pretty much have to have a "second best" point and a "second best" assist. Three characters probably still works for some teams for which they have two different assist types in their gameplan, but I'd expected to see lots of two person teams around.

For the MvC example (not Ultimate) Wolverine with 2x health and Akuma assist would probably have been pretty solid, right? Easier to manage as well.

Each character in this game has two launchers, unique character tag ins, unique snapbacks, custom assists(not sure about alpha counters) and six buttons. Trying to build a 3 man team in such an open ended game from the start may spell disaster for most people who are not absolute beasts at Mahvel. Also, everyone is spread thin between different fighting games right now. Even the highest level players like Combofiend are split between UMvC3 and KOF. Learning another character can be pretty daunting in such cases.

I'm also trying to save that slot for Squigly.

Noaloha

The MvC2 comparison is bound to wind a few people up the wrong way.

Just wait for the demo/game to be released and the Parallax Scrolls of the community to be all like, "Hm. Well, shit. Okay. So this is actually pretty damn good."

duckroll

Hey Parallax Scroll, knock off the confrontational shit. If you want to discuss something respectfully, you don't have to start it off by insulting what people like. It makes it less likely for them to want to take your discussion seriously.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
You can play 3v3. Also, 1v1, 1v2, 1v3, 2v2, 2v3.

Yes, that would be the ratio system.

And making a new game to address problems with a game is slightly different than retuning an old fan-favorite.

I don't really agree with that. This would be like a completely different developer saying "This game addresses the problems with System Shock 2!" No one would take that statement seriously (Nor should they).. If Levine did it, it would be different.

Each character in this game has two launchers, unique character tag ins, unique snapbacks, custom assists(not sure about alpha counters) and six buttons. Trying to build a 3 man team in such an open ended game from the start may spell disaster for most people who are not absolute beasts at Mahvel. Also, everyone is spread thin between different fighting games right now. Even the highest level players like Combofiend are split between UMvC3 and KOF. Learning another character can be pretty daunting in such cases.

I'm also trying to save that slot for Squigly.

Yeah, I'm not buying this. The moment someone on some stream does some sick shit on a stream everyone is watchng with a 3 man team, they will switch in heartbeat. =) FGC are creatures of the moment.

Top Bottom