• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skullgirls |OT| New age of Heroines

Speaking of good news, guess who's in first place on JP PSN?

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psn/store/magazine/
Awesome

Hopefully it stays in the top ten for a while. GG is doing it so I think SG can too.
Neato

So what do you guys think of the PS4 so far? I'm not asking for secret sauce here. Just asking for your opinion as a developer. The thing looks like a beast.
We're pretty excited about this!

Cyberfront seems surprised by it, too. Trying to figure out how to sustain it, like see if we can get some additional coverage in Famitsu or do interviews and whatnot.
Does Famitsu even review DD games? I know Skullgirls got some JP coverage a while back, but I didn't see a review anywhere. Hopefully this puts a little more money in LZG's pockets and bolsters the IP some more.

Shorter combos are easier for folks getting into a game to learn.

I agree with you on French bread/KOF being worse examples. Skullgirls the problem isn't so much the combos are hard, but that they're long. What makes things a bit worse in Skullgirls is that it's a little easier to get opened up in SG as compared to KOF or those other games.

But I play a Zone team.

Peacock (George Day Out)
Double (Butt Dive HK)
Cerebella (Anti Air Grab)

Krackatoa

Cyberfront seems surprised by it, too. Trying to figure out how to sustain it, like see if we can get some additional coverage in Famitsu or do interviews and whatnot.

Get them to front venture capital for an arcade release/figurines/muffugin merchandi~iiiiise. Gotta cultivate that nerd-base, yo.

NEO0MJ

Skullboys PS4 launch title confirmed? Particle effects?

An expansion at launch would be cool I guess. Launch is a great time for fighters to get into people's minds.

A completely new game would be interesting. I can't imagine they can get something out in time though. At least, not for launch.

alstein

An expansion at launch would be cool I guess. Launch is a great time for fighters to get into people's minds.

A completely new game would be interesting. I can't imagine they can get something out in time though. At least, not for launch.

I'd rather see a new game or a sequel over an expansion myself.

Hngggh, must know more.

wZyyrfR.png

Potentially related development in TributeGames being signed on as well? Seems unlikely.

Get them to front venture capital for an arcade release/figurines/muffugin merchandi~iiiiise. Gotta cultivate that nerd-base, yo.

This would be nothing short of fantastic. Seriously hope you guys are able to use this as a foot in the door to expand in Japan as a whole.

I think the bigger question is "Who's publishing?" Obviously if we know that much we'll know right away whether its a project that's related to SG or not ... unless the contract for publishing rights on the IP of SG was limited only to PS3 and 360 and a new publisher hypothetically could push for the game on PS4?

I can't wait for the donation drive to start! Monday really can't come fast enough.

I think the bigger question is "Who's publishing?" Obviously if we know that much we'll know right away whether its a project that's related to SG or not ... unless the contract for publishing rights on the IP of SG was limited only to PS3 and 360 and a new publisher hypothetically could push for the game on PS4?

Who's publishing the PC version?

Steaks

Glad you guys are supporting the PS4 :) It looks like there's a lot of cool things that could come of it. Grats on the Japan PS3 release, as well. Hope you guys stabilize, I want to see Skullgirls 2 with a lot of awesome changes.

Ravidrath

You guys will post where we vote for the third char right?

The vote will probably be on the official forums, and the voteable characters will be revealed on the IndieGoGo page.

Got a lot of money to raise before we need to worry about that, though.

There are going to be, like... 25 characters in the vote? Maybe more. Lots will be ones you're familiar with from the game's story mode, and there will be a lot you've never seen before. Even Science Shark will be in there.

We're also going to translate the campaign into Japanese, so I think this could give Marie an edge, because she's apparently very popular in Japan.

Johnz

Neo Member
The vote will probably be on the official forums, and the voteable characters will be revealed on the IndieGoGo page.

Was mainly curious. Keeping expectations in check. Really would like big band though.

Ravidrath

Was mainly curious. Keeping expectations in check. Really would like big band though.

I really hope we can fund him, too - I think having a token male, especially such an awesome one, would really do wonders for growing the community.

Mike has a ton of people that come up to him and say things like "As soon as you guys add a dude, I'm in."

Anyone who hasn't checked Skullheart should check it out if they are looking for the fastest and most accurate Skullgirls updates. I discovered it a few days ago myself and it is a snappy website with some nice community features. The IRC chat is also very convenient and I like that you can put your console/PC ID out there plainly along with your character/team emblems.

Oh, and it seems like Japan has begun it's campaign to take our away America's Skullgirls reign. I'm hearing all sorts of nonsense about hardcore players coming out of the woodwork with the Japanese release. PSN should be much busier than usual in that case.
So we just announced that Big Band will be the second character we aim for!
tumblr_m21ebbJLr81r84epao1_400_zpsabd0c04e.gif

There are going to be, like... 25 characters in the vote? Maybe more. Lots will be ones you're familiar with from the game's story mode, and there will be a lot you've never seen before. Even Science Shark will be in there.

We're also going to translate the campaign into Japanese, so I think this could give Marie an edge, because she's apparently very popular in Japan.
Depends on how many Japanese folks sign up on the forums in that case. Gaffers should sign up right now too if they want their voices to be heard. It doesn't get any more direct than this(recalls the MvC character polls).

I don't care what characters get shown! Annie will be getting my vote all the way! :) I just gotta' have her playable, she has potential on so many things.

Ravidrath

BTW, we're totally calling Big Band サックスでか (Detective Sax) in the Japanese version if we get to release him.

It wouldn't be a fighting game if character names didn't change across regions, right?

NEO0MJ

BTW, we're totally calling Big Band サックスでか (Detective Sax) in the Japanese version if we get to release him.

It wouldn't be a fighting game if character names didn't change across regions, right?

I think you have to switch names, maybe between him, Marie and Cerebella?

There's a pic in Double's ending - I don't think I've seen any of Big Band in-game though, just sketches on the net, so this focus on him seems odd to me.

He's in the background of the Lab stage that has people in it. He's on the left side and has two other people standing with him I think.

Krackatoa

There's a pic in Double's ending - I don't think I've seen any of Big Band in-game though, just sketches on the net, so this focus on him seems odd to me.

He was one of the first three male characters to crop up when the game was early on in development. Coloured sketches of Big Band, Leduc and Panzerfaust were available over Alex's ftp server. Everyone loved the stark contrast of Big Band and Panzerfaust to the rest of the cast. Big Band's Saxbod also fit really well with the jazz themes in-game. I think the focus has been on him since Skullgirls started having an online presence.

Also Sax-Deka. You can't top puns of that level.

Loona

For heavens sakes, don't do this just because Capcom does. The gameplay has enough of that already.

It's always possible to have different characters using an alternate name for the guy during story mode if you like an alternative that much.

mr. puppy

Banned
hey they're bringing out big band? awesome.

I really wish they kept these announcements going instead of after the game has basically died......8 months of "patch next week!" to "ah shit our company is dead" is not the best press strategy. I'll have to boot this game up again tonight.

Krackatoa

For heavens sakes, don't do this just because Capcom does. The gameplay has enough of that already.

It's always possible to have different characters using an alternate name for the guy during story mode if you like an alternative that much.

Sax-Deka was his initial nickname by the Japanese community, IIRC. I think it's hilarious and a heartfelt nod to the early fans of the game.

alstein

Why does the squigly drive start so late? Was that the earliest time available? Is it too late to change it to earlier?

Thinking it was due to the EVO donation drive and not wanting to bankrupt the fans.

As for Big Band- maybe call him S.Deka in a further nod to SF2? He sounds like an awesome character - just wish he was female to keep the all-female cast (I know, it's just my personal taste) . Rule 34 pics on pixiv won't count.

I don't see the big deal about the name for Japan. It's a nice little nod towards to the JP fans and it sounds cool. Sure, it's not as cool a name as "Big Band", but they like it so whatever.
Why does the squigly drive start so late? Was that the earliest time available? Is it too late to change it to earlier?
Not all of us are made of money. The donation drive definitely emptied some wallets. Also, starting on Monday ought to let the whole Playstation craze die down quite a bit. It looks like MS won't be speaking up quickly either. Honestly... it feels like timing is actually favoring Skullgirls for once.

Ravidrath, why does the Squigly drive start at 9AM PST? That's really late for people not on the West coast. Is it possible to have it start earlier?

Ravidrath

Ravidrath, why does the Squigly drive start at 9AM PST? That's really late for people not on the West coast. Is it possible to have it start earlier?

I could have it start at midnight PST, instead?

Same issue, but at least fewer people are likely to be around to buy things? Since I assume it's limited items you're worried about.

But there isn't much I can do about the time difference - if I went earlier, it'd just mean it's harder for people on the West coast, too.

I could have it start at midnight PST, instead?

Same issue, but at least fewer people are likely to be around to buy things? Since I assume it's limited items you're worried about.

But there isn't much I can do about the time difference - if I went earlier, it'd just mean it's harder for people on the West coast, too.

Nah, wasn't thinking about limited items. I've heard that the first day is really important for crowdfunding events, so it's better to have as much of the first day available as possible.

And it's annoying to me personally that I'd have to wait a good six or so hours after I wake up to be able to throw money at you guys. >.>

But yea, midnight would be cool I think.

Ravidrath

Nah, wasn't thinking about limited items. I've heard that the first day is really important for crowdfunding events, so it's better to have as much of the first day available as possible.

And it's annoying to me personally that I'd have to wait a good six or so hours after I wake up to be able to throw money at you guys. >.>

But yea, midnight would be cool I think.

I'll see if I can swing midnight, but I'm probably going to have art, the video and the Japanese translation coming in at the last-minute, so it may not be possible.

It's a Monday. Is it such a big deal to get this started when people are actually awake?
He was one of the first three male characters to crop up when the game was early on in development. Coloured sketches of Big Band, Leduc and Panzerfaust were available over Alex's ftp server. Everyone loved the stark contrast of Big Band and Panzerfaust to the rest of the cast. Big Band's Saxbod also fit really well with the jazz themes in-game. I think the focus has been on him since Skullgirls started having an online presence.

Also Sax-Deka. You can't top puns of that level.
Panzerfaust is so going to win the third slot. Annie(who I'd like to see in the game) might be the only other character that stands a chance. Still voting Panzer, though...
Going against SFxTKN really hurt the game's chances.
That and the lawsuit.

NEO0MJ

Panzerfaust is so going to win the third slot. Annie(who I'd like to see in the game) might be the only other character that stands a chance. Still voting Panzer, though...

I think that Venus (that's the name of the freaky stomach gal, right?) has a chance as well. Maybe even umbrella. What I'd really want though is that Biker demon.

That and the lawsuit.

Lawsuit? I completely forgot this. Can you give me a quick brief on this?

Nabs

Hey Ravi, you may want to look into TF2 hats again. I know they tried to slow down on the hat promotions, but they've put up 4-5 of 'em in the last month.

Loona

Sax-Deka was his initial nickname by the Japanese community, IIRC. I think it's hilarious and a heartfelt nod to the early fans of the game.

It just seems more reasonable to acknowledge a nod with another nod (ex: story dialogues, aliases, move names, etc...), not by plastering an alternate name in the select screen based on the country of release. It's just annoying.

Do you guys really like having things like 2 different names for a third of the Darkstalkers cast?...

It's a Monday. Is it such a big deal to get this started when people are actually awake?

I think it is. That's why I asked about it. They've got $150K at the least to raise. Having a few extra hours can only help the cause.

It just seems more reasonable to acknowledge a nod with another nod (ex: story dialogues, aliases, move names, etc...), not by plastering an alternate name in the select screen based on the country of release. It's just annoying.

Do you guys really like having things like 2 different names for a third of the Darkstalkers cast?...

Multiple names are fine. Characters get multiple names as time goes on anyway, from fans giving them nicknames. What's annoying is names being switched where you effectively can't use either because of possible confusion, so you have to go with other nicknames, like Claw and Dictator.

Krackatoa

Does it matter? If someone says Bulleta, and someone says B.B Hood, I know exactly who they're talking about. Gouki/Akuma? You can use either.

I don't see what the problem is unless you've got a mad case of OCD.

Ravidrath

We're pushing hard to try and get Japanese players to support this, and Cyberfront is telling us that Marie is very popular over there.

So I think there's a strong possibility it could come down to the West / Panzerfaust, Japan / Marie if we get that far.

Hey Ravi, you may want to look into TF2 hats again. I know they tried to slow down on the hat promotions, but they've put up 4-5 of 'em in the last month.

We're doing them. There's going to be an exclusive Leviathan hat for the IndieGoGo campaign, and we're going to make a bunch more for the core game.

Top Bottom