• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim Dawnguard trailer

Seanspeed

Banned
The best thing about Skyrim was wandering around the pretty landmass, no naturally people want another area to wander around. The "quality stuff to do" is pretty much nonexistent thanks to the underlying combat/loot/scaling system.
I agree that wandering around was the one of the best parts of Skyrim, but a lot of the complaints I heard were about how all that space wasn't put to good use.

I disagree that the combat/loot/scaling systems ruined any possibility of quality stuff to do, though. I think the faction quests in Oblivion were better than Skyrim, so there's definitely a lot of room for improvement. Also, combat can be shaken up with new mechanics or weapons and there is no reason that the loot has to be as underwhelming as it was in vanilla Skyrim(though I'm admittedly not getting my expectations up too much in this regard).

I'm on the side that wanted a new area to explore, too, but I'm not going to whine if we dont get that.......SO LONG as the content we do get is substantial and of a high quality. I wouldn't mind having a bunch of new, interesting locations and stuff to do on the existing map.

Kem0sabe

Show this video to anyone who says Kinect is bullshit and they'll be converted. Voice commands in Mass Effect 3 were pretty awesome too.

tumblr_ly6mo8gyQQ1qjad3m.jpg

Sad I have to wait because Microsoft has big bags of cash to get it exclusively for a month or whatever. Oh well, I'll work on the platinum in that time I wait.

Yager

Banned
That looks pretty good. I hope they'll expand the map (or teleport the player to another "world" whatever). If there's no new land to explore...

So wait, does this mean they're FINALLY doing vampires right? Meaning full facial/body mutations, actually feeding on people when they're NOT sleeping, etc?! COLOR ME EXCITE

Wiggum2007

I bet we'll get to build a house/castle of our own, too.

And crossposting this from the Skyrim OT, but I think the reason we're not seeing any new land is one of the gameplay features the game was built around: the shouts. Dragons and word walls are obviously unique to Skyrim itself, and they're a major part of the gameplay. I think, in order to maintain consistency, new landmasses like the Shivering Isles might actually be out of the question for Bethesda, unless they decide to just throw the lore out of the window or find something else to do with shouts.

Couldn't they just plop a new island landmass off the north coast of the map like they did with the Morrowind expansion?

It's neat that they give you another faction choice, I suppose. I highly doubt it'll add much new ground to explore - probably a few isolated dungeons. Wouldn't be surprised if you could only transform during certain quests or in certain areas. Crossbow looks a bit underwhelming, and it's out-of-place in the setting.

I'll get it, but it'll be along with all the other DLC when GOTY comes out.

Demon Ice

Banned
Looks awesome but I know better than to buy things Day 1 from Bethesda by now. I'll let you guys all be their paying beta testers ^_^ Also I wonder how many of my 70+ mods will be compatible with this...

Wouldn't be surprised if you could only transform during certain quests or in certain areas. Crossbow looks a bit underwhelming, and it's out-of-place in the setting

I would be, based on the design decisions of Skyrim. Freedom to do whatever and what not.

If they do that, people will just not finish the quest and keep the transformation forever, there's no point in limiting it, so they won't.

Izick

So now i have to go and start playing Skyrim again. Got like 40 hours into it, but never played much of the MQ, and still have a ton of SQ's as well. Hasn't there been like a bunch of crazy shit added to it like horseback fighting and slow-mo arrows and stuff?

Anyway, this trailer looks absolutely awesome, and I'm guessing if it's 20$, then Bethesda is packing it with a shit load of content. I like this expansion model way better than the small, petty stuff they did with Oblivion's DLC.

Seems.... underwhelming? I dunno, I wanted to love Skyrim but got bored around the 20 hour mark so I was hoping the DLC would reignite my interest (much like Shivering Isles did with Oblivion).

I wonder what is happening regarding that snow prince or whatever that was found in the update files.

Forkball

So vampires and stuff. I know some people were nuts about playing a vampire in Skyrim, but I didn't think they'd focus an entire expansion based around it. Also, I really need to beat the main storyline.

Top Bottom