• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

Thank GOD they made the actually 3rd person view something that is actually viable. I'll still fight in first person, but 3rd person is how I'd like to explore the game.

This is not a new screenshot. As far as I know, however, we've never seen it in HQ before.

EjSVa.jpg

Shaheed79 said:
Oblivion + Monster Hunter = Skyrim. This game better not have recycled dungeon and temple designs like Oblivion. I want a modern ES game that at least resembles the originality and scale of Daggerfall. I would be satisfied if Skyrim was even 1/100 the size of Daggerfall. Probably not.

For reference.

The top one is the game map. The second is the highlighted red area in the top pic. Each one of those dots is a location you can fast travel in that province. You can select which to display and the lighter the dot the bigger the location. Each of the 40 provinces has a similar amount of locations to travel.
1fisuh.png

This is one of the lighter dot locations. There are literally hundreds of city's this size or bigger.
jslenr.png

I would literally maim someone for a modern remake of this game. I wouldn't even mind a small texture palette for environments if they manage to preserve the scope of the game. It is simply the largest game every created to my knowledge mmo or otherwise.

I think as development becomes more and more expensive we're going to see worlds getting smaller, but more detailed. Sure they could do 20 cities, but with all the shit the game has to run, it would probably only have 6 people in it and they wouldn't do anything. That kind of jerks the reality right out of the game. Huge RPGs don't seem as viable any more simply because of all the things that developers have to juggle.

zomaha

RoninChaos said:
I think as development becomes more and more expensive we're going to see worlds getting smaller, but more detailed. Sure they could do 20 cities, but with all the shit the game has to run, it would probably only have 6 people in it and they wouldn't do anything. That kind of jerks the reality right out of the game. Huge RPGs don't seem as viable any more simply because of all the things that developers have to juggle.

Yep, it's a trade-off. We can have a ton of gigantic cities with very little detail or a few cities with incredible detail.

Maybe in 2025 we can have the best of both worlds.

bengraven

zomaha said:
Yep, it's a trade-off. We can have a ton of gigantic cities with very little detail or a few cities with incredible detail.

Maybe in 2025 we can have the best of both worlds.

Honestly I expect an indie RPG to show up one of these next few years that will be a spiritual successor to Daggerfall.

It will have a massive procedurally created world with thousands of towns, settlements, etc and unlimited quests.

It will look like shit.

Maybe it will get the unrealistic folk to shut the fuck up though.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
bengraven said:
Honestly I expect an indie RPG to show up one of these next few years that will be a spiritual successor to Daggerfall.

It will have a massive procedurally created world with thousands of towns, settlements, etc and unlimited quests.

It will look like shit.
Why would it look like shit? Make it in delicious and sexy high-resolution 2-D graphics.

And Skyrim looks great. Better than that, it sounds great.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
bengraven said:

It will look like shit.

Maybe it will get the unrealistic folk to shut the fuck up though.

And I for one, will play the everliving shit out of it.
water_wendi said:
Why would it look like shit? Make it in delicious and sexy high-resolution 2-D graphics.

Because if it didn't, I'd never buy another video game again.

bengraven

I would play the shit out of it too. I've said since I started playing MineCraft that soeone should take the engine and create an infinite DF like RPG.

It's just not realistic to ask a major game studio to go that route.

water_wendi said:

Good, get started on it!

I can't wait to play it.

Darkone

Any word if there wil bel a Quest tracking system that i will know where to go and not wandering along for hours?

bengraven

Darkone said:
Any word if there wil bel a Quest tracking system that i will know where to go and not wandering along for hours?

They literally have people who lead you to dungeons.

I'm not being a smartass, they really do.

"Oh, you need to go to Dead Goblin Cove. Here, I'll show you".

Watched the playthrough. Game looks incredible. I loved how Todd just kept cutting off Keighley's asinine questioning. "Just wait and see, bro."

Nocebo

Holy shit this will be my GOTY for sure! I for some reason I loved that a wolf ran passed the player but didn't attack him.

bengraven

Nocebo said:
Holy shit this will be my GOTY for sure! I for some reason I loved that a wolf ran passed the player but didn't attack him.

Well they said you won't get attacked if they're not hungry and sometimes they'll just growl over their kills and not attack unless provoked.

However, I think that was a fox.

Nocebo

bengraven said:
Well they said you won't get attacked if they're not hungry and sometimes they'll just growl over their kills and not attack unless provoked.

Yeah I heard about that and I was going to say fox at first too but I wasn't sure they'd have that much variety in wild life :p

Unicorn

bengraven said:

Oh, so Radiant AI is real now?

As expected Skyrim looks fantastic. I was surprised it wasn't part of MS's conference though, I guess the lack of kinect functionality disqualified it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
This looks stunning, the level of detail looked a lot more natural than Oblivion.

bengraven

damn giant clickable images.

I'm trying to scroll down by holding in the mouse wheel and i'm opening 1000 pages.

Wiggum2007

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Put me in the camp who thinks Daggerfall is too big. The size of worlds being created now is perfect.

I agree, but I do think it is weird how they keep taking these massive kingdoms that are supposed to be hundreds of miles across in the lore and condensing them down into the gameworld... Why not just have the game be taking place in a single province or something?

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ok, so now Skyrim is using the same strawberry jam damage indicator that's being used in the Modern Warfare games? That's just bullshit.

wit3tyg3r

DennisK4 said:
I recorded all of the footage and will be putting it on YouTube but it will take a while.

Awesome!!! I missed it because I was at work all day :(

I saw the 6-minute video on GameTrailers, but I want to see the whole 30-minute deal!

Thanks!

bengraven

I don't think he got the entire 30 minute behind doors presentation. That's not even likely going to be available.

He's talking about the 7 minute GT one.

Dennis

Banned
wit3tyg3r said:
Awesome!!! I missed it because I was at work all day :(

I saw the 6-minute video on GameTrailers, but I want to see the whole 30-minute deal!

Thanks!
Like bengraven said, its just the same 6 minutes I put on YT. But it was 720p at least!

Sinoox

Banned
richiek said:
Ok, so now Skyrim is using the same strawberry jam damage indicator that's being used in the Modern Warfare games? That's just bullshit.

That's an interesting way of thinking about it, why is that an issue though?

(._.)

Banned
So far this game has looked the best. It has very solid graphics from what I have seen in the videos but we wont know if it will be breath taking until it is out. Animation also looks solid. Have to say I'm mainly impressed with how it all comes together and has a real convincing atmosphere. Hope it turns out to be great. Have a feeling it is gonna fail in many ways though.

Top Bottom