• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim E3 Information Recap Thread [Update: Romances~~~~]

demolitio

Impressive. It's nice to have a game that looks decent to make exploring a little more exciting. I loved Oblivion and Fallout 3, etc. but pretty graphics makes the exploration just that much better.

Fuck dragons though. Those things kill me in every game they're in. Pesky bastards!

Seanspeed

Banned
Shaheed79 said:
Oblivion + Monster Hunter = Skyrim. This game better not have recycled dungeon and temple designs like Oblivion. I want a modern ES game that at least resembles the originality and scale of Daggerfall. I would be satisfied if Skyrim was even 1/100 the size of Daggerfall. Probably not.

For reference.

The top one is the game map. The second is the highlighted red area in the top pic. Each one of those dots is a location you can fast travel in that province. You can select which to display and the lighter the dot the bigger the location. Each of the 40 provinces has a similar amount of locations to travel.
1fisuh.png

This is one of the lighter dot locations. There are literally hundreds of city's this size or bigger.
jslenr.png

I would literally maim someone for a modern remake of this game. I wouldn't even mind a small texture palette for environments if they manage to preserve the scope of the game. It is simply the largest game every created to my knowledge mmo or otherwise.
Yea, I'm sure each of those locations are unique and memorable places worth 'fast-traveling' to. I haven't played the game, but something tells me that there's more 'cut-and-paste' going on in that game than in Oblivion.

Shaheed79 said:
Oblivion + Monster Hunter = Skyrim. This game better not have recycled dungeon and temple designs like Oblivion. I want a modern ES game that at least resembles the originality and scale of Daggerfall. I would be satisfied if Skyrim was even 1/100 the size of Daggerfall. Probably not.

For reference.

The top one is the game map. The second is the highlighted red area in the top pic. Each one of those dots is a location you can fast travel in that province. You can select which to display and the lighter the dot the bigger the location. Each of the 40 provinces has a similar amount of locations to travel.
1fisuh.png

This is one of the lighter dot locations. There are literally hundreds of city's this size or bigger.
jslenr.png

I would literally maim someone for a modern remake of this game. I wouldn't even mind a small texture palette for environments if they manage to preserve the scope of the game. It is simply the largest game every created to my knowledge mmo or otherwise.

And every single city is the same looking, the map is forever the same you have to fast travel, and the dungeons are terrible and huge

RyanDG

Seanspeed said:
Yea, I'm sure each of those locations are unique and memorable places worth 'fast-traveling' to. I haven't played the game, but something tells me that there's more 'cut-and-paste' going on in that game than in Oblivion.

However, being randomly generated for a lot of the instances, you wouldn't know until you traveled there - which is where the game generated a lot of its interest for me personally... Yes, some locations weren't very memorable. Some were copy and pasted. However, the sense of adventure the game gives you (especially when you go into a dungeon the first time and literally have absolutely no idea what you are going to find) is pretty much unmatched. And even the non-memorable locations were 'special' because there were all targets to keep you exploring forward because it pushed you to travel further and further hoping of what you may find just around the corner.

And your second play through delivered it all over again in a new way to experience the same journey while still maintaining the sense of surprise and grandeur.

Seanspeed

Banned
RyanDG said:
However, being randomly generated for a lot of the instances, you wouldn't know until you traveled there - which is where the game generated a lot of its interest for me personally... Yes, some locations weren't very memorable. Some were copy and pasted. However, the sense of adventure the game gives you (especially when you go into a dungeon the first time and literally have absolutely no idea what you are going to find) is pretty much unmatched. And even the non-memorable locations were 'special' because there were all targets to keep you exploring forward because it pushed you to travel further and further hoping of what you may find just around the corner.

And your second play through delivered it all over again in a new way to experience the same journey while still maintaining the sense of surprise and grandeur.
What the fuck is the point of 10,000 different locations if they're mostly all just randomly generated? Its an illusion of grandeur.

Give me 100 or so places that are all fairly unique and characterful anyday.

RyanDG

Seanspeed said:
What the fuck is the point of 10,000 different locations if they're mostly all just randomly generated? Its an illusion of grandeur.

Give me 100 or so places that are all fairly unique and characterful anyday.

You seem to be under the impression that because Daggerfall used randomly generated locations that there were none in there that were unique and special. I think that this is a false impression of the game and even among the randomly generated locations you would often find ones that were unique and special. There were limitations to the graphics engine (limited palette to play with), yes, but considering what they are doing I think that's understandable.

JoeBoy101

Ya know, when we got the first movie, I mentioned how scripted the dragon encounter looked. As hard as it is for me to take in, it may not have been all that scripted. That thought is dominating my thoughts right now.

bengraven

RyanDG said:
You seem to be under the impression that because Daggerfall used randomly generated locations that there were none in there that were unique and special. I think that this is a false impression of the game and even among the randomly generated locations you would often find ones that were unique and special. There were limitations to the graphics engine (limited palette to play with), yes, but considering what they are doing I think that's understandable.

Dude, I put 100+ hours into Daggerfall. The locations are mostly the same.

bengraven

Timber said:
Love the 'talk' prompt in that GIF.

Ha, didn't notice that. They should let you talk to him.

a) are you okay?
b) ...
c) does it hurt?

a) are you okay

Guard: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Timber

If they'd kept Oblivion's dialogue system, the camera would have zoomed in on the guard's severed head complaining to you about Icecrabs as it is hurled into the distance. Would have been GOTY material, but I guess this looks nice as well.

Seanspeed

Banned
RyanDG said:
So what you're saying is that 'Town X' was unique and special from 'Town Y' cuz it was colored green instead of red? Cuz I seriously doubt each town had some unique architectural style or whatever, especially considering the limitations of PC games back then.

And what about the quests within each location? Unique? Location-specific?

C'mon, man. A developer could come out with a similar game nowadays with better graphics(maybe not top-level, though) that had the same size of Daggerfall and a similar amount of randomly generated locations, but it simply wouldn't be accepted by gamers except for a small niche audience that got hard-ons for statistical superiority in terms of game size and whatever. The fact that Skyrim has less locations than Oblivion and that most people see that as a GOOD thing is a testament to this.

I'm super pumped for this! When I saw the latest screen shots with the mammoths and the dude with the scar, I was almost let down with how it looked. But seeing everything in motion put my fears to rest.

wit3tyg3r

I was taken by surprise when the dragon swooped in and grabbed the giant. That was epic. I didn't really like how the giant fell, though....it looked very unnatural. I thought it was also cool when the dragon grabbed the guard in it's jaw and shook him violently to death and then flung him away....

This is going to be one hell-of-an-epic game! Totally excited about this!

Luthos

That 7 minutes or so was amazing.

I gotta say, magic is looking more fun in this game than it did it Oblivion. I might have to do a hybrid, with destruction magic and swords.

And that dragon shout that created a lightning storm... so good.

Zaptruder

Banned
Game is shaping up to look pretty awesome.

Just wish they had taken a cue from Demon Soul's combat system. I mean what they've shown is competent... but such an amazing world could've had a lot of justice done to it with an incredible combat system.

Specifically, I mean using stamina, and allowing the player to roll, block and parry all with different affects and stamina consumptions.

I was thinking this because I was looking at that group battle with the zombies or draugs, and... it just seemed a bit too straight forward and 1990s. Go in, swing swing swing, strafe a bit, get hit a bunch - no stagger, interrupt or penalties for it.

bengraven

Seriously, most of these animations are so fucking sexy. Other than the floaty fox and the ragdoll from that giant, here's my favorite moments of animation:

The third person movement and slashing.

The healing magic and then 2x healing.

The giant's loping stride.

The dragons, especially their bat walk.

Dovahkin absorbing that soul in third person.

Also the draugr melee really reminded me of RAGE. Or Condemned.

That's a GOOD thing.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
The reactionary AI still seems kinda dumb. When he shot the first guy with the arrow the other guy just sorta stood there like an idiot. A better approach would be to have the second guy (in a situation like that) start freaking out and run for cover or something. As it is, it seems too easy to just hide in one place and pick off a group of people who, theoretically, should be spreading out and ducking for cover.

I mean, it was just one clip. But still.

Atrus

Gold Member
Pseudo_Sam said:
I mean, it was just one clip. But still.

This was actually a pretty big weakness in Oblivion and also worked to the same degree in Fallout 3 where rifles replaced bows.

Basically Sneak+Archery=Overpowered, at least insofar as the AI continues to act stupidly.

bengraven

Grimm Fandango said:
So does anyone know when Todd Howard will perform the 30 minute demo?

I have a feeling we won't see it. He said he was going to be demoing the game behind doors.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Atrus said:
This was actually a pretty big weakness in Oblivion and also worked to the same degree in Fallout 3 where rifles replaced bows.

Basically Sneak+Archery=Overpowered, at least insofar as the AI continues to act stupidly.

Oh, I totally agree, that's what has me worried. I just didn't want to write off the whole game because of one clip from a preview.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Shaheed79 said:

For reference.

Procedural generation vs hand made, hand made will always win and be more interesting for me. I think it's funny how you talk about recycled locations in Oblivion (which is true) and then wish for Daggerfall (in which the issue was worse).

With "randomness" you soon learn the patterns, know what to expect and see the same thing over and over (like in Daggerfall). It's never random enough. I did enjoy getting lost in some of the huge dungeons and hope they bring back a few of sheer size in Skyrim. Not ones made with a shitty algorithm that sometimes makes unsolvable dungeons though.

Fou-Lu

I'm really hoping I can actually be a damn necromancer in this game. Always my play type of choice if I can choose it.

alterno69

Banned
This will be my GOTY, no contest. Looks absolutely amazing and thank god they fixed the third person animations, finally.

Dr. Chaos

Banned
Loved the giant's reaction as he's lifted and falling to his impending death.

"Oh well, I had a good run. It had to end sometime."

Top Bottom