• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM3DW sells 107k in Japan, lowest 3D Mario debut ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chindogg

There are more views in this thread than copies sold of SM3DW.....

:(

There's that classic driveby thread shitting that I come to expect from DragonSworne!

Great addition to the conversation! Should post again!

Caricatures are based in truth.

I hope this game moves some consoles, I would like to see the Wii U pick up some sales. I love Nintendo but they have massively fucked the Wii U so bad, that now I just want to see it have some life.

As long as Nintendo doesn't pull the plug of support it'll always have some sort of life, even if its completely first party life support. That said, I really hope that the ads that are being bombarded on TV lately for this game translate to sales in the US. Things are looking incredibly bleak, but its better to root for good software than to guffaw and shit on good software.

Ah. I do think though that the intent was to get some of the 2D Mario players used to 3D Mario, by making some "modifications" in order to attract players who otherwise would be intimidated by a 3D game. (Which is a phenomenon I never knew existed until I joined GAF this year and sure enough, when I looked at sales of 2D vs 3D Mario on Wii, was astounded to see. I mean, I never played 2D Mario games until NSMBU forced my hand as the marquee launch title for the WiiU, and I'm actually finding 2D Mario to be more challenging with lots of "rage quit" moments compared to 3D Mario! I would think people like the flash and flair of a big 3D game, but the sales figures said otherwise.)
Personally I think one of the big factors is the earlier 3D games have less of a 'pick up and play' aspect going for them like your 2D game has, and I'm assuming for more casual gamers who dedicate less time to gaming that's a far more enticing prospect.

This is a totally fair post that I actually cannot disagree with. These are the posts I like seeing in these threads. However, the ones actively saying that "this needs to fail" regardless of the quality of the product to the just flat out driveby thread shitting are what drives me as a member insane.

I have no problems admitting I'm a fan of Nintendo, but when I disapprove of something another company does I don't rush immediately into their threads and try to post some driveby one off meme picture taking glee in the fact that mistakes were made. Perhaps my posts have been a bit abrasive lately but when you literally have guys coming in saying "I'M GLAD THIS GAME FAILED" or even worse "I LOVE THESE GAMES BUT I'LL WAIT OUT UNTIL THE CONSOLE'S NEAR DEATH SO I CAN GET ONE IN A FIRE SALE" it honestly frustrates me as someone who not only enjoys and supports the software but also works in software.

If you legitimately don't like a game, that's fine you don't have to buy it. But if the game's objectively high quality, don't come into threads and try to shit them up by saying you're glad it failed because you don't like the hardware its on for whatever reason. Also, and especially this, if you like all these games then its clear you have value in the experiences that are exclusive to the console. Just buy the fucking console and give the people who made these experiences your support. Don't sit there and wait for a possible fire sale, that's basically telling the developers that you're willing to starve them just so you could possibly get it at a dirt cheap price.

Developers are people too. If you like their work, fucking support them.

What? Even if you like the game, it's still entirely reasonable to feel that having to buy an overpriced piece of hardware just to play it isn't a wise decision. And the way you let the company making said hardware that their shit is overpriced is precisely by NOT buying it.

What is this lunacy that it's our duty to support developers? If I see a hardware and software library combination I find attractive I'll most certainly spend money on it, because I see value in it and it gives ME pleasure. Developers that are able to provide that value will survive others will die, such is the way of competition. So no, I won't be buying a WiiU until it provides adequate value. That means an attractive price point for the hardware and a compelling library of software, which at this rate may never happen. And that's OK. Maybe Nintendo will learn something from this and their next console will be awesome (and hopefully backwards compatible).

RagnarokX

Sure, whatever revisionist history is needed to detract that 3D World simply lacks the generational leap of the others. In the end, it was obvious to everyone that Sunshine was a brandnew game for a brandnew generation. As we see here, people are obviously content with 3D Land and don't wanna buy more levels for it on overpriced hardware - even actual WiiU owners.

It's not revisionist history. Criteria that you consider good enough for the old games isn't good enough for this game. The HD trailer for 3D World made it clear that this far more graphically advanced and larger in scope than previous Marios.

Lumyst

Personally I think one of the big factors is the earlier 3D games have less of a 'pick up and play' aspect going for them like your 2D game has, and I'm assuming for more casual gamers who dedicate less time to gaming that's a far more enticing prospect.

As a newcomer to 2D Mario, and I just this year got the 3DS XL and am playing through 3D Land (and I've gotten SMW on Wii Virtual Console) I'm finding that this style has an addictive quality, it's like levels are short enough that multiple levels can be completed in a single sitting, and each level presents something new, and then just when you've finsihed one level's new idea, the next level moves on to something entirely different. It's like nonstop teasing! I'm finding that with DKC Returns too! Oh but this sounds like a post that belongs in the "3D World is what I wanted in 3D Mario thread" :p

In any case, wasn't the "cuteness" factor of the cat suit mentioned as something that was included when thinking about how to make the game attractive to Japanese players? (The catsuit is a damn good powerup though, I have to say.) Yet this game was greenlighted before sales of the WiiU were discovered to be abysmal by Nintendo. So their particular decisions about expanding their gaming audience by selecting certain games/franchises to focus on in the first year of the WiiU's life, or even modifying certain games to be attractive to an expanded audience, were decided with the expectation that an expanded audience would find the WiiU attractive. (Though didn't sales of Wii Party U in Japan actually end up being notable?)

Of course, the gamepad was supposed to be the differentiator that warranted "underperforming on an expected industry metric" (hardware power?) so if some of the core gamers don't see the value in the gamepad, they're going to hold off on the WiiU until it's cheaper, since the PS3 seems to have continued support in Japan.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
ugh - this seems to be going round and round in circles, but the main thing i take away from all this here on the ground in Japan is that the WiiU just isn't been put in peoples hands to play - as a result the machine and it's appeal just aren't readily visible to users.

We are approaching 2014 - we still have no demo units because, apparently, Nintendo are worried the pad would break and that would put off users (source required!) - but ... yeah... videos on small tvs in stores aren't doing anything to emphasize what is so different about the WiiU experience.

In terms of marketing - i dunno, the WiiU gets a few ads here and there but there's not been any massive full on assaults for WiiU games to date.

Mario 3DW is , from what time i've watched my son play, a bucket load of fun - the fact it's sold what it has sold is sad but given the install base and the dominance of Nintendos handhelds then , whilst somewhat shocking, it's not really that massive a surprise and neither is it a commentary on the quality of "next gen/generational!"-ness of the game.

OryoN

SMH at all the people using sales data to - hopefully - sh!t on the quality of Mario 3D World itself. That's pretty silly. With that reasoning, they probably think the COD franchise is of the pinnacle of game design.

Listen, it's never a good thing when games of extremely high quality - and/or creativity - don't sell well, regardless of which console they are on. I don't know what's worse; the fact that this is becoming fairly common in the industry today, or the fact that so-called gamers are embracing such an occurrence with glee.

tengiants

Contrary to popular belief, gaming is not a charity. We're not obliged to buy your overpriced unattractive hardware because you worked real hard on it.

WTF we're talking about developers here, not hardware engineers. Contrary to popular belief, those dudes need to eat.

Chindogg

Contrary to popular belief, gaming is not a charity. We're not obliged to buy your overpriced unattractive hardware because you worked real hard on it.

I didn't mention anything about the hardware itself. I mentioned that people are deliberately choking out software developers despite liking their games because they think they'll get a fire sale on the hardware. While you can shit on the hardware all you want, you can't say you support the software developers then not buy their products. It just doesn't work that way.

Also, saying that a console is overpriced when the company is taking a loss on it is pretty fucking absurd. I'd understand if this was literally a cash grab where they were making a profit on every box, but they sunk a ton of R&D into this thing and for what it is a lot of people really enjoy it. If its not for you, that's cool. But don't be brash and say its overpriced.

A console is just a means to play software. If you like the software that's exclusive to that platform, there's the actual value of the console. Everything else are just gimmicks.

Haines

Banned
Like Wonderful 101 and Nintendoland? Or how about Steel Diver, Pushmo, Crashmo, Dillion's Rolling Western?

The new IP argument continues to become tiresome as it is inaccurate.

No, not like any of those.

What Im saying is this. If Nintendo isnt going to make much money off of Mario, they might as well chance a new IP with the same team and see if they can strike gold.

I love the new Mario, so dont misunderstand me.

I didn't mention anything about the hardware itself. I mentioned that people are deliberately choking out software developers despite liking their games because they think they'll get a fire sale on the hardware. While you can shit on the hardware all you want, you can't say you support the software developers then not buy their products. It just doesn't work that way.

But to play the software, you need the $300 hardware nobody wants, right? Its not an either or situation here. Its not the fuckin' consumers fault nobody wants your product. Don't damn them for not rushing out to spend $360 cuz of think of the poor starving artists.

tengiants

But to play the software, you need the $300 hardware nobody wants, right? Its not an either or situation here. Its not the fuckin' consumers fault nobody wants your product. Don't damn them for not rushing out to spend $360 cuz of think of the poor starving artists.

Damn... you're angry.

Chindogg

It is when you say you want to play the games but don't fucking buy them. You like Mario? Buy a Nintendo console. You like Uncharted? Buy a Sony console. You like Halo? Buy a Microsoft console.

The fact that people try to justify value based on "specs" instead of the actual software that's on it is still fucking mindblowing to me. You don't like the hardware? Fine, that's cool. But don't fucking say that you want more games like this if you're not going to vote for them with your wallet.

kirby_fox

Banned
What's odd is that the PS4/XB1 haven't even launched in Japan, so that's not the factor here.

Can't say what kind of marketing Japan is getting either, but I think this is "hit the red button" panic time if the sales decrease next week and continue to do so. Leading up to Xmas, if they can't get Wii U to sell with a 3D Mario in their own territory...either Japan really hates home consoles now, or Nintendo is screwed.

Perhaps my posts have been a bit abrasive lately but when you literally have guys coming in saying "I'M GLAD THIS GAME FAILED" or even worse "I LOVE THESE GAMES BUT I'LL WAIT OUT UNTIL THE CONSOLE'S NEAR DEATH SO I CAN GET ONE IN A FIRE SALE" it honestly frustrates me as someone who not only enjoys and supports the software but also works in software.

This just shows that there are people interested, they just don't see the value in purchasing a WiiU and the games everyone keeps mentioning, over and over again, in every single thread. And I totally understand people when they say that, because i'm kinda in the same boat.
I grew up as a kid in the Nintendo/Sega 8 bit era. The amount of memories I have with Nintendo/Sega/Sony consoles/handhelds is something I'll never forget. However, nowadays, at my age, I just don't care that much about what Nintendo is offering right now for the price they're asking. And what really made me realize that was the Wii. Outside of 6 or so games I REALLY enjoyed and loved, I ended up not really enjoying (or even interested) in their output, along with several other issues I had with that machine.
I'm very interested in buying a WiiU, maybe in 2014, maybe in 2015, who knows.
To me, they need to hit a better price, or in alternative, present a better library. So I can't really blame people who say "i'll wait until the wiiu hits a lower price".

Exile20

You have an agenda and with every post you really intend to push it, whether it applies to the post your are replying to or not. We all get it, you hate everything about the Wii U. Do you need to post it in every thread?

Rafterman

Banned
You might want to tell Nintendo that. They refer to it as a "price cut" and a "price decline".
And no, the price of entry is not exactly the same. The Deluxe used to get you a 32 gig Wii U with Nintendoland for 350 dollars. Now for 300 dollars you get the same Wii U, but instead of Nintendoland (a 29.99 MSRP title), you get a 59.99 and a 29.99 dollar MSRP pair of games. So a 50 dollar price cut plus 2 included games instead of 1, both of which are more attractive than the original game that was once included.

Nintendo can spin it any way they like, doesn't make a bit of difference to me. And you obviously don't understand what point of entry means. A person could walk in a store and buy a Wii U at launch for $299, today the cheapest you can one is still $299, the entry price of owning the console is the same.

You have an agenda and with every post you really intend to push it, whether it applies to the post your are replying to or not. We all get it, you hate everything about the Wii U. Do you need to post it in every thread?

This thread is about Wii U sales. How is a post about the perceived value of Wii U hardware irrelevant?

It is when you say you want to play the games but don't fucking buy them. You like Mario? Buy a Nintendo console. You like Uncharted? Buy a Sony console. You like Halo? Buy a Microsoft console.

The fact that people try to justify value based on "specs" instead of the actual software that's on it is still fucking mindblowing to me. You don't like the hardware? Fine, that's cool. But don't fucking say that you want more games like this if you're not going to vote for them with your wallet.

It has to be a little more complex than that right? There's a big wide swath of opinions between "I'm interested in this new Mario and will totally throw down the $360 to play it" and "I'm interested in this game but not at the current price because *insert a hundred million various reasons here*".

Elvick

Banned
The 3ds is not doing well in comparison to it's competition (iOS). And I said console space.
And consoles aren't doing well in comparison to smart phones. Actually got into an argument with someone who was saying that 1 million NA sales in one day by the PS4 was "nothing" since mobile phones sell so much. ._.

But like I told that crazy person, that's a completely different market. Apples and oranges.

IDK, they have 2 out on 3DS + dlc, and 2 out on WiiU + the HUGE DLC.

I doubt we see any more this gen.

The WiiU has been out for one year though and it already have 2 Mario games and a big DLC. Nintendo wants to make Money. Mario makes money, it´s quite logical to expect more Mario games from Nintendo for the WiiU in the future.

maneil99

What are the chances the japs hate consoles. I mean the wii u flopped everywhere so we cant really judge based on 1 sample

Chindogg

This just shows that there are people interested, they just don't see the value in purchasing a WiiU and the games everyone keeps mentioning, over and over again, in every single thread. And I totally understand people when they say that, because i'm kinda in the same boat.
I grew up as a kid in the Nintendo/Sega 8 bit era. The amount of memories I have with Nintendo/Sega/Sony consoles/handhelds is something I'll never forget. However, nowadays, at my age, I just don't care that much about what Nintendo is offering right now for the price they're asking. And what really made me realize that was the Wii. Outside of 6 or so games I REALLY enjoyed and loved, I ended up not really enjoying (or even interested) in their output, along with several other issues I had with that machine.
I'm very interested in buying a WiiU, maybe in 2014, maybe in 2015, who knows.
To me, they need to hit a better price, or in alternative, present a better library. So I can't really blame people who say "i'll wait until the wiiu hits a lower price".

Completely fair assessment. But what's the magic number of games that gets someone to buy a console? You can say you like all these games and hold out for a lower price, but eventually there's gonna be some sort of magic number where that stance just doesn't hold water anymore. I still hold a console's value in the software experiences you get from that console. I just don't think $99-199 is a reasonable price for a current gen console with current gen experiences.

At least you're honest about saying that the software isn't as important to you as it once was. That's all I'm asking for. Don't claim that you need this software then refuse to make the commitment to support it.

It has to be a little more complex than that right? There's a big wide swath of opinions between "I'm interested in this new Mario and will totally throw down the $360 to play it" and "I'm interested in this game but not at the current price because *insert a hundred million various reasons here*".

Yeah it is, but when the majority of people are saying $99-199 it goes from "ok that's fair" to "I'm asking for this price because I think I can get away with it." With that mentality they probably could get away with it, along with possibly crippling the developers that make the software. And this goes beyond strictly Nintendo, there's a bunch of people who think Rayman Legends is amazing, but they're holding out because they think they can get it at $10. Eventually, Ubi's just gonna can the whole franchise because selling the game at that point is just not going to be solvent for them. Then we lose out on a fantastic franchise because people decided that they can get away with choking the developer into practically giving the game away.

Is this opinion a little personal? It kinda is. I have way too many friends in software development depending on people buying their work. Whenever I hear people claim they love their work but either pirated or waited for the game to hit the bargain bin it always frustrated me because 8 out of 10 of those people ended up having to look for new jobs within a year.

If you like the software, fucking support it. Don't deliberately hold out for a fire sale because it does nothing to help anyone in the long run. You might get a cheap game, but it'll be nearing the last in the franchise as many developers have to find news ways to feed their families.

The WiiU has been out for one year though and it already have 2 Mario games and a big DLC. Nintendo wants to make Money. Mario makes money, it´s quite logical to expect more Mario games from Nintendo for the WiiU in the future.
Isn't this thread technically about how Mario maybe doesn't make that much money anymore?

Cheerilee

People are voting with their wallet. And they're voting for the bigger (to them) issue that has been bundled together with the bill, which is the hardware.

You're telling people to "just buy the fucking console", and if they don't want to accept that part of the package deal, then they should stop talking about how much they really do like this other part of the bill, because if you really liked this one part of the bill, you'd do anything for it. But that's not true.

If you tell people they're not allowed to wait for something to change with the hardware, they have to buy now or shut the fuck up, a few people might buy it, but I think more people (Mario fans) are just going to say "fuck Mario then" and walk away.

Rafterman

Banned

Also, saying that a console is overpriced when the company is taking a loss on it is pretty fucking absurd. I'd understand if this was literally a cash grab where they were making a profit on every box, but they sunk a ton of R&D into this thing and for what it is a lot of people really enjoy it. If its not for you, that's cool. But don't be brash and say its overpriced.

A console is just a means to play software. If you like the software that's exclusive to that platform, there's the actual value of the console. Everything else are just gimmicks.

First off, you can't seperate the two. If the hardware isn't up to snuff that directly effects the decisions people make in terms of software. So it absolutely works that way.

Second, it's not our problem if Nintendo is taking a loss on hardware. They made poor design decisions and they can deal with them. People complained about the cost of the PS3 and it was losing money for years, pretty sure even after a price cut. Nintendo will just have to eat the loss on hardware and make it up elsewhere, or they can be happy with less than GC numbers.

Haines

Banned

I thought we were in a thread claiming mario doesnt make money any more tho?

Exile20

This thread is about Wii U sales. How is a post about the perceived value of Wii U hardware irrelevant?

No, this thread isn't about Wii U sales. It is about SM3DW sales in Japan during a specific time period.

My issue is that we see the same posters in every Nintendo related thread spewing the same shit over and over. It is like if Nintendo kick their dog.

Please tell us your price. How much is the Wii U worth to you?

It sold much more than the W101. Don´t you think that the W101 not selling would scare Nintendo off of core new IP?
It also wasn't developed by them and they did jack all to ensure it sold well (and even left it out of their 2012 conference).

They're probably not too eager to make new, big-budget and character-driven IP's, but 101 isn't a very good barometer to gauge this in my opinion.

I thought we were in a thread claiming mario doesnt make money any more tho?

3D Mario games have never sold much in their initial debut. Not sure what else can be claimed outside of that. This is the lowest selling 3D Mario but sales are not shocking, for Japan that is. We also don't have any other sales for any country, including North America.

Clearly the only thing that can save the Wii U now is a Waluigi character action game made by Platinum games.

3D Mario games have never sold much in their initial debut. Not sure what else can be claimed outside of that. This is the lowest selling 3D Mario but sales are not shocking, for Japan that is. We also don't have any other sales for any country, including North America.
Nor do we have digital sales figures.

tengiants

Yeah. I usually wait until the Mt. Dew ads and Taco Bell commercials. They usually are telling of the best console and are 100% representative of gamer opinions IMO.

Chindogg

Yeah. I usually wait until the Mt. Dew ads and Taco Bell commercials. They usually are telling of the best console and are 100% representative of gamer opinions IMO.

That's not really a fair assessment. That's on Nintendo for not marketing the damn thing like they should have. They royally fucked up there.

Perhaps Japan doesn't have a burning interest in platformers because of how many have been released in the past 5 years?

All I really want is 2 games that I can replay for the entire generation. A Star Fox game that doesn't suck and knows the SNES and N64 games exist so they might actually go to a different solar system. And a F-Zero that's something like a cross between X and GX, I don't really care how it does it, but it needs all the modes GX had and at least have the detail/music like X would be best really.

I just want games that haven't been made for over 10 years, I can play Mario almost every year with a single game for how many there are, I want more options and then you'll have me for the Wii U.

I felt burned from waiting for my favorite games on the Wii, then the 3DS burned me with its price AND no games for so long. Why should I trust in Wii U? Seriously, they gave nothing but promises but not the promises I wanted to hear. Project M might even beat their Smash title, which is really sad indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom