• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM3DW sells 107k in Japan, lowest 3D Mario debut ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerSoul

The thing that worries me the most is that I don't see the Wii U receiving a lot of the spinoff 3rd party games that the Wii was fortunate to have. I hope I'm wrong though. I would like to see a new Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles eventually.

Chindogg

Which is exactly why such a caricature is inaccurate, because that doesn't reflect each of my views. But simple arguments for simple people...

And we reduce ourselves to insults now.

I guess if that's your reasoning, so be it. BTW, where's DragonSworne? I'd expect him to get in on this.

The thing that worries me the most is that I don't see the Wii U receiving a lot of the spinoff 3rd party games that the Wii was fortunate to have. I hope I'm wrong though. I would like to see a new Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles eventually.

It's sadly a weird chicken vs egg problem. You won't be getting more games like that unless the console starts selling, but the console may not sell because games like that aren't on the console.

RagnarokX

3D World would have probably sold a lot better if it had new enemies and new villains. Why didn't they just use Wart as the main bad guy and have the game take place in Subcon? They would have sold few thousand more on nostalgia alone.

From wiki:

Super Mario Galaxy new enemies:
  1. Bomb Boos
  2. Chomp Pups
  3. Cluckbooms
  4. Crabbers
  5. Fire Shooters
  6. Flipbugs
  7. Galactic Tornadoes
  8. Golden Chomp
  9. Goombeetles
  10. Gringills
  11. Ice Bats
  12. Jack O' Goombas
  13. Blue Lava Bubbles
  14. Li'l Brrrs
  15. Li'l Cinders
  16. Li'l Springies
  17. Mandibugs
  18. Mandibug Stacks
  19. Octoguys
  20. Octoombas
  21. Octopi
  22. Prickly Piranha Plants
  23. Sentry Beam‎s
  24. Slurples
  25. Spiky Plants
  26. Spiky Topman
  27. Spring Topman
  28. Starbags
  29. Topminis
  30. Undergrunts
  31. Water Shooters

Super Mario 3D World new enemies:
  1. Ant Troopers
  2. Big Ant Troopers
  3. Big Galoombas
  4. Blocksteppers
  5. Blurkers
  6. Brolders
  7. Cat Banzai Bills
  8. Cat Bullet Bills
  9. Cat Goombas
  10. Charvaarghs
  11. Conkdors
  12. Flopters
  13. Fuzzlers
  14. Grumblums
  15. Hop-Chops
  16. Horned Ant Troopers
  17. Ka-Thunks
  18. Madpoles
  19. Parabones
  20. Piranha Creepers
  21. Rammerheads
  22. Ring Burners
  23. Skipsqueaks
  24. Snow Pokeys
  25. Spiny Skipsqueaks
  26. Splorches
  27. Splounders
  28. Ty-Foos
  29. Walleyes

Lunar15

How the fuck did this become about the quality of Super Mario 3D World? Good or Bad, these sales are clearly due to the fact that the Wii U is dead in the water over there.

There is no strawman here, there is a swath of GAF that'll literally come into every single Wii U thread and shit it up because they don't like the fact that Nintendo didn't make a PS4/isn't going 3rd party/whatever.

If Nintendo fans kept discussion to the official game/system treads you would see less negativity. The attempts to artificially improve the image of the platform by spamming each and every semi-positive article or impression of the platform or a game for it created a backlash, it's as simple as that.

Case in point.

"YOU MAKE A GREAT POST BUT YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT"

While he did have some good points, he missed the forest while looking for a single tree: Nintendo and it's fans have always been the ones who have made this claim. They are the ones who demand us to pay several hundred dollars beyond the price of the game just for the right to play them so it is perfectly fair to hold them to a higher standard. Perhaps it is an impossible to reach that standard, but at the same time I'd say that the current fanbase they have aren't critical enough, and never react to negative changes within the company until after it's too late to quickly change course. Case in point: E3 2008. People had been voicing concerns over how their conferences and corporate focus was changing for the worse the previous year but the fans were dismissive because they still had Mario and Smash on the immediate horizon. Then this happened and all you got that holiday was Animal Crossing. 2008 was okay for the system overall because of releases before E3, but after it was pretty bad for a while.

Nintendo and it's fans have always been the ones who have made this claim. They are the ones who demand us to pay several hundred dollars beyond the price of the game just for the right to play them so it is perfectly fair to hold them to a higher standard.

Isn't this the model for all hardware platforms? Unless you're buying a PS4 or Xbone to prop up your coffee table.

Mondy

Banned
Sure. For all the you's that really care about that.

I'd say getting near universal acclaim from the press and vocal fans was more important.

Well clearly it's not because it isn't selling like a Mario game usually does.

I've made this point before and I'll say it again: Having 3 or 4 amazing games isn't worth shit unless you price your fucking console what it's actually worth. I compare Nintendo this generation to Sony in 2006, but less so than MS: Coming off a massive success, they release a console with a feature that developers (read: Publishers) can't be bothered developing for and a price tag that is completely unreasonable for what you're buying. Perhaps Nintendo thought that brand neutral gamers were idiots.

Even the hardest of the hardcore Nintendo fans cannot deny that the business and technical decisions surrounding the Wii U have been a comedy of errors, fueled by a shortsighted belief that all Nintendo needed to do was walk into the HD era, click its fingers and have the hardcore jump all over them like they were Fonzie in the local meetup spot.

wrong.gif

Rafterman

Banned
This has nothing to do with me wanting to be a pre-teen and more about Nintendo making a Mario game that actually is appealing enough to sell systems which 3D World never was. Your an eloquent writer but your points are baloney.

I think people are confusing 3D Worlds appeal with the Wii U. It doesn't matter how appealing the game is, the console is currently a detrement and any appeal a game has is clouded by that.

Because it had no significant effect on the Wii U's sales?

There was never a price drop. There was a price shift. The cost of entry is exactly the same.

$350 -> $299. Where the hell were you at launch?

I was buying a Wii U...for $299. This so-called price drop was nonsense. You could buy one at launch for the same price you can buy one now. The extra storage is irrelevant given it's small size. People who weren't gagging for a Wii U at $299 at launch aren't going to jump on one now at the same price.

There needs to be a real price drop. A significant one.

If/when the WiiU ever finally hits the $150 price point, or $199 with a pro controller, I may bite, but not until then.

This. For this console to turn around at all it needs to be half the price of the competition. This Nintendo quality first party games stuff doesn't hold near the weight with the average gamer as it used to, and the U doesn't have an inkling of the casual appeal that the Wii had.

Well clearly it's not because it isn't selling like a Mario game usually does.

I've made this point before and I'll say it again: Having 3 or 4 amazing games isn't worth shit unless you price your fucking console what it's actually worth. I compare Nintendo this generation to Sony in 2006, but less so than MS: Coming off a massive success, they release a console with a feature that developers (read: Publishers) can't be bothered developing for and a price tag that is completely unreasonable for what you're buying. Perhaps Nintendo thought that brand neutral gamers were idiots.

Even the hardest of the hardcore Nintendo fans cannot deny that the business and technical decisions surrounding the Wii U have been a comedy of errors, fueled by a shortsighted belief that all Nintendo needed to do was walk into the HD era, click its fingers and have the hardcore jump all over them like they were Fonzie in the local meetup spot.

And that's EAD Tokyo's fault?

The game didn't sell poorly because it didn't have Wart, and in your admittedly outspoken rant I couldn't find a response to that assertion.

Sean*O

Don't care one bit. Nintendo are delivering the goods right now so I'm in. Looking forward to SMW3D, W101, WWHD, and maybe Pikmin 3 too. Most excited for X down the road.

Mondy

Banned
And that's EAD Tokyo's fault?

The game didn't sell poorly because it didn't have Wart, and in your admittedly outspoken rant I couldn't find a response to that assertion.

Because it's a dumb assertion that serves only to deflect attention away from the real problem?

There's nothing wrong with 3D World as a game. There is everything wrong with the platform it's sold on.

Chindogg

If Nintendo fans kept discussion to the official game/system treads you would see less negativity. The attempts to artificially improve the image of the platform by spamming each and every semi-positive article or impression of the platform or a game for it created a backlash, it's as simple as that.

While he did have some good points, he missed the forest while looking for a single tree: Nintendo and it's fans have always been the ones who have made this claim. They are the ones who demand us to pay several hundred dollars beyond the price of the game just for the right to play them so it is perfectly fair to hold them to a higher standard. Perhaps it is an impossible to reach that standard, but at the same time I'd say that the current fanbase they have aren't critical enough, and never react to negative changes within the company until after it's too late to quickly change course. Case in point: E3 2008. People had been voicing concerns over how their conferences and corporate focus was changing for the worse the previous year but the fans were dismissive because they still had Mario and Smash on the immediate horizon. Then this happened and all you got that holiday was Animal Crossing. 2008 was okay for the system overall because of releases before E3, but after it was pretty bad for a while.

This is a totally fair post that I actually cannot disagree with. These are the posts I like seeing in these threads. However, the ones actively saying that "this needs to fail" regardless of the quality of the product to the just flat out driveby thread shitting are what drives me as a member insane.

I have no problems admitting I'm a fan of Nintendo, but when I disapprove of something another company does I don't rush immediately into their threads and try to post some driveby one off meme picture taking glee in the fact that mistakes were made. Perhaps my posts have been a bit abrasive lately but when you literally have guys coming in saying "I'M GLAD THIS GAME FAILED" or even worse "I LOVE THESE GAMES BUT I'LL WAIT OUT UNTIL THE CONSOLE'S NEAR DEATH SO I CAN GET ONE IN A FIRE SALE" it honestly frustrates me as someone who not only enjoys and supports the software but also works in software.

If you legitimately don't like a game, that's fine you don't have to buy it. But if the game's objectively high quality, don't come into threads and try to shit them up by saying you're glad it failed because you don't like the hardware its on for whatever reason. Also, and especially this, if you like all these games then its clear you have value in the experiences that are exclusive to the console. Just buy the fucking console and give the people who made these experiences your support. Don't sit there and wait for a possible fire sale, that's basically telling the developers that you're willing to starve them just so you could possibly get it at a dirt cheap price.

Developers are people too. If you like their work, fucking support them.

RagnarokX

If there's no way out, start devaluing past Nintendo games? Just because Mario 64 had the biggest jump, doesn't mean the others had none at all - like 3D World does now. SMW was an obvious generational leap in presentation, so was Sunshine. Before they started rehashing concepts, you always had at least one title for each generation that tried to change up core concepts, aesthetics and simply being perfectly suited to the new hardware. Sunshine might have failed, but it at least tried to experiment by being based around water mechanics while offering (at the time) amazing visuals. Galaxy was of course completely different from Sunshine, trying to downplay ,,nothing but gravity lolol'' in comparison to cat suits is funny, to say the least. Shit, for some reason Galaxy managed to be an event when it came out and Miyamoto didn't even need to become a youth wizard - man, I sure wonder why that is... lol
The reality is they never before dared to simply put a direct sequel (of a 2 year old handheld game on top of that) on a new home console that also happens to look worse than fucking Mario Kart and some 2 year old Sonic game - which automatically makes this title less ambitious than it's predecessors, no downplaying Galaxy in hindsight is gonna change that. Which would be okay, if the WiiU otherwise would have had a start on par with the GCN or Wii - but no, it was their worst first year ever with nothing but straight rehashes, map packs (including another unremarkable Mario game) and a couple of niche titles that were sent to die. It's a console with nothing but poor efforts solely based on last gen leftovers because they were once successful, now culminating in their flagship title that isn't even up on par with it's predecessors. And as expected, no spamming comparison gifs or high metacritic was ever gonna change that it's a map pack (if the minimal file size wasn't proof enough already) which is thankfully rejected by the home console audience that Nintendo is treating like shit right now. Casuals won't see the difference between this and 3D Land, just like with NSMBU, and hence no value in a console that offers nothing unique outside of that. (Including the controller which sees less use from devs than the Wiimote does even on WiiU) Meanwhile, you sure as hell could have never confused the orginal Mario Land with Mario World regardless of how much of an (un)informed gamer you were.
He's not devaluing past games. You've put them on a pedestal and made them into something that they never were. Most of the negativity towards 3D World has come from people who believe that Mario is a series where each new installment essentially reinvented the wheel, but honestly the only game that changed the series to the degree that these people seem to believe is necessary was Mario 64. SMB1-NSMBU have been progressions of the same gameplay, with a small detour with a game that was a reskin of a totally different game. Mario 64 was the first 3D Mario, so of course it had a ton of novelty. And ever since they've steadily progressed with each new 3D Mario game towards more focus on 3D platforming until here we are with 3D World. People overvalue the changes made between past Mario games and undervalue changes made in the newest games.

New powerups are enough for old games but not 3D World.
Increased scope is good enough for old games but not 3D World.
Better graphics are good enough for old games but not 3D World.

It's funny that people champion Sunshine as an example of Nintendo doing what they think Nintendo should do with Mario when it was essentially Mario 64 with increased scope, new powerups, and better graphics (but much worse level design and missions) limited to a single tropical trope. 3D World is a bigger, prettier game than ever with new powerups that are well used with great level design and it's despised.

Hsieh

Random thought: They should add the characters from Doki Doki Panic into the Mario canon.

The main characters from Doki Doki Panic are owned by Fuji TV and are the mascot characters for Fuji TV's Yume Kojo '87 festival. The main reason why Doki Doki Panic was changed into a Super Mario Bros. game is because Nintendo owned rights to everything in the game except for the main characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_W2vldGyOQ

Chindogg

Maybe the low sales will force Nintendo into trying a new IP.

Like Wonderful 101 and Nintendoland? Or how about Steel Diver, Pushmo, Crashmo, Dillion's Rolling Western?

The new IP argument continues to become tiresome as it is inaccurate.

i'm kind of surprised this thread is still going

SM3DW will have serious legs, that's pretty much indisputable. so i don't think you could make heads or tails from the game's first week. we're talking about the worst selling nintendo console aside from virtual boy, so you need to taper your expectations a great deal. in that respect, it did okay. but you can't read too much into it either way

Not even the first week. The first three days in Japan. It's pretty bad but the overreactions are pretty terrible.

120v

i'm kind of surprised this thread is still going

SM3DW will have serious legs, that's pretty much indisputable. so i don't think you could make heads or tails from the game's first week. we're talking about the worst selling nintendo console aside from virtual boy, so you need to taper your expectations a great deal. in that respect, it did okay. you can't read too much into it either way

That's only one critic.....
... I don't get what that has to do with what I was responding to? I was pointing out a (somewhat) serious review site that similarly put emphasis on something as trivial as what anticitizien was attributing 3DWorld's 'failure' to.

The ones in the E-shop or you don't count those?

Sakura Samurai was fun. So was PushMo. I haven't tried Dillon's yet, but let's be honest. While semantically, you're correct that these are new IP, that's not what people are asking for when they ask for new IP.

These eShop titles are about as good as an upper tier indie game on any given platform.

What people want is for Nintendo to invest the full power of their formidable game development skill in a new concept (with new mechanics). Something that really digs deeper into the game mechanics than PushMo does with its one-by-one puzzles or Sakura Samurai with its 3 bosses and 7 enemy types.

Those games are fun, but in a climate where Nintendo has been enamored with mini-games, it's fair to want something meatier.

Because it's a dumb assertion that serves only to deflect attention away from the real problem?

There's nothing wrong with 3D World as a game. There is everything wrong with the platform it's sold on.

That's why I was being dismissive of it.

Never commented on the state of the WiiU, and I'm not sure why you think I did.

Sergiepoo

Do you really think that it's better hardware or better graphics that increases development costs? Seriously? They don't. Look at EA with Crysis. At the time, that was the best looking game on the PC, & that game was only ran off of a $23 million budget.

If development costs are increasing, it's because of mismanagement from publishers when it comes to spending too much money on development of games &/or spending too much money on advertising/marketing the games. All because that most 3rd party publishers want their games to be the next COD in sales.

Plus thanks to the PS4's technology being very similar to PC, it'll be easier and less expensive for game studios to develop games for the console (they talk about it here, & here).
Better graphics indisputably increases development costs. What do you think developers pay their artists that create the HD assets, hopes and dreams? It's no accident that this past generation had some of the largest teams and biggest budgets yet. It takes a lot of people and resources to make those AAA HD games. As stated in my post you quoted, higher budgets are caused by a combination of the availability of higher end hardware and a toxic business model that developers and publishers are unwilling to move way from. This past generation has proven that developers do not think rationally, and and they do not stop pumping money into graphics before it becomes unsustainable. They continue to do it because they feel they have to to compete.

Furthermore, $23 million is nothing to sneeze it. It's not a feasible budget except for some of the bigger publishers. As stated in my other post, the PC market is entirely different ballgame and has different expectations, even if the hardware might be virtually identical. Although what's funny is that Crytek immediately followed up Crysis with a sequel that made all the same mistakes as the inflated budget, CoD money chasing, AAA games on consoles, so maybe they're not so different after all.

I think Sony's doing good by promoting indies, there's already this mentality that indie games are lesser than the games produced by big publishers. Don't forget how many people complained about the indie focus in Sony's E3 presentation this year. Sony is unlikely to rely on indie's too much except for publicity purposes

Loco4Coco

Sakura Samurai was fun. So was PushMo. I haven't tried Dillon's yet, but let's be honest. While semantically, you're correct that these are new IP, that's not what people are asking for when they ask for new IP.

These eShop titles are about as good as an upper tier indie game on any given platform.

What people want is for Nintendo to invest the full power of their formidable game development skill in a new concept (with new mechanics). Something that really digs deeper into the game mechanics than PushMo does with its one-by-one puzzles or Sakura Samurai with its 3 bosses and 7 enemy types.

Those games are fun, but in a climate where Nintendo has been enamored with mini-games, it's fair to want something meatier.

Isn't that what Wonderful 101 is trying to be? Also is X considered a new IP?

Ridley327

X can be a new IP if it does turn out to be a new IP. Obviously, it wouldn't be if it's actually Xenoblade 2, but the jury's still out until we see a more formal unveiling of the game in the next few months. Hopefully.

Cheerilee

I think this is actually pretty decent considering the lower installed base for the WiiU when compared to the others.

N64's install base was zero when Mario 64 launched. Mario 64 sold 50% stronger than SM3DW.

GameCube's struggling install base was similar to Wii U's struggling install base when Mario Sunshine launched. Mario Sunshine sold almost triple (and still ended up as the worst-selling Mario game listed in the OP, and people threw tomatoes at the GameCube and called it a failure).

Which might mean absolutely nothing for the long term success of SM3DW or the Wii U, but for now, it looks really bad.

It'd help if Nintendo properly supported Wonderful 101 and it had sold well.

It deserves to be considered a new, major Nintendo IP, but it'll probably just be a one-off gem at this point people will confuse for a Platinum-owned franchise. Part of me feels X is going to wind up being Xenoblade 2/online (isn't Shulk teased in one of them?) though.

Sciz

... I don't get what that has to do with what I was responding to? I was pointing out a (somewhat) serious review site that similarly put emphasis on something as trivial as what anticitizien was attributing 3DWorld's 'failure' to.

There is a substantial leap of logic involved in trying to tie together "why didn't they introduce a new villain" and "why didn't they pander to nostalgia by dredging up an old villain" as a single coherent thought.

JustinMay

Banned
Yeah, I don't see how Nintendo comes back in the console space. A huge chunk of their audience is attached to mobile. They don't know what Mario is, they know that red bird though.

There is just no chance for a console that only offers Nintendo stuff. Time to give up. It'll only get harder. 107k and rapidly approaching zero.

Yeah, I don't see how Nintendo comes back in the console space. A huge chunk of their audience is attached to mobile. They don't know what Mario is, they know that red bird though.

There is just no chance for a console that only offers Nintendo stuff. Time to give up. It'll only get harder. 107k and rapidly approaching zero.

Do I have to dig up 3DS sales or can you do it yourself?

There is a substantial leap of logic involved in trying to tie together "why didn't they introduce a new villain" and "why didn't they pander to nostalgia by dredging up an old villain" as a single coherent thought.
both of which anticitizen suggested as things 3DWorld 'should' have done and which the outlier review I was talking about heavily insinuates they should have done

i'm not seeing the difference in comparisons here, not to mention I was agreeing with your sentiments in the first place that it's a weird bullet-point to place a lot of emphasis on for a story-less platformer of all things

He's not devaluing past games. You've put them on a pedestal and made them into something that they never were. Most of the negativity towards 3D World has come from people who believe that Mario is a series where each new installment essentially reinvented the wheel, but honestly the only game that changed the series to the degree that these people seem to believe is necessary was Mario 64. SMB1-NSMBU have been progressions of the same gameplay, with a small detour with a game that was a reskin of a totally different game. Mario 64 was the first 3D Mario, so of course it had a ton of novelty. And ever since they've steadily progressed with each new 3D Mario game towards more focus on 3D platforming until here we are with 3D World. People overvalue the changes made between past Mario games and undervalue changes made in the newest games.

New powerups are enough for old games but not 3D World.
Increased scope is good enough for old games but not 3D World.
Better graphics are good enough for old games but not 3D World.

It's funny that people champion Sunshine as an example of Nintendo doing what they think Nintendo should do with Mario when it was essentially Mario 64 with increased scope, new powerups, and better graphics (but much worse level design and missions) limited to a single tropical trope. 3D World is a bigger, prettier game than ever with new powerups that are well used with great level design and it's despised.

Sure, whatever revisionist history is needed to detract that 3D World simply lacks the generational leap of the others. In the end, it was obvious to everyone that Sunshine was a brandnew game for a brandnew generation. As we see here, people are obviously content with 3D Land and don't wanna buy more levels for it on overpriced hardware - even actual WiiU owners.

njean777

I hope this game moves some consoles, I would like to see the Wii U pick up some sales. I love Nintendo but they have massively fucked the Wii U so bad, that now I just want to see it have some life.

Sure, whatever revisionist history is needed to detract that 3D World simply lacks the generational leap of the others. In the end, it was obvious to everyone that Sunshine was a brandnew game for a brandnew generation. As we see here, people are obviously content with 3D Land and don't wanna buy more levels for it on overpriced hardware - even actual WiiU owners.
While I already find it telling you've left it out of your posts talking about how every other 3D Mario is a far more impressive feat than 3DWorld, what were your thoughts on Galaxy 2? Was it a far lesser Mario game than the previous ones because it was a direct sequel to Galaxy and likely used even more cut material and ideas from Galaxy 1 than 3DWorld does from 3DLand?

I also specifically remember you bemoaning how un-Galaxy like this game looked in a few preview threads, so I don't entirely buy that your main beef with this game is that it isn't something 'new' either.

I would've preferred something brand new too (Hence a SMG3 would've disappointed me as well, if not moreso since we've already gotten two of 'em) and I agree it's not the game-changer the Wii U needed, but that's looking at the context the game was released in and not the quality game itself, something which I feel you're not doing.

In 30 pages this may have been said, but I though 3D Mario was not as popular as 2D Mario in Japan. Please do not quote me on this, though.
It's not as popular as 2D Mario anywhere I think. People probably just expected things to be different this time due to NSMBU's cold reception compared to the insane amount NSMBWii sold. 3DLand may have sold more than NSMB2 on the 3DS did though, I don't remember the sales exactly.

Lumyst

In 30 pages this may have been said, but I though 3D Mario was not as popular as 2D Mario in Japan. Please do not quote me on this, though.

Ah. I do think though that the intent was to get some of the 2D Mario players used to 3D Mario, by making some "modifications" in order to attract players who otherwise would be intimidated by a 3D game. (Which is a phenomenon I never knew existed until I joined GAF this year and sure enough, when I looked at sales of 2D vs 3D Mario on Wii, was astounded to see. I mean, I never played 2D Mario games until NSMBU forced my hand as the marquee launch title for the WiiU, and I'm actually finding 2D Mario to be more challenging with lots of "rage quit" moments compared to 3D Mario! I would think people like the flash and flair of a big 3D game, but the sales figures said otherwise.)

UNCMark

Banned
There was never a price drop. There was a price shift. The cost of entry is exactly the same.

You might want to tell Nintendo that. They refer to it as a "price cut" and a "price decline".
And no, the price of entry is not exactly the same. The Deluxe used to get you a 32 gig Wii U with Nintendoland for 350 dollars. Now for 300 dollars you get the same Wii U, but instead of Nintendoland (a 29.99 MSRP title), you get a 59.99 and a 29.99 dollar MSRP pair of games. So a 50 dollar price cut plus 2 included games instead of 1, both of which are more attractive than the original game that was once included.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom