• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SM3DW sells 107k in Japan, lowest 3D Mario debut ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
think people were able to predict the less than stellar sales of the wii u on launch based on pre order numbers, hype, knowledge about the system in the mainstream media and public etc, hence zombie U
mind you I have no idea when the picture was made, so meh

and I'm quite sure the fault for the low numbers is the low instal base but come on, you can't tell me nintendo didn't hope to sell a lot more consoles with it's release
The Wii U had a decent launch. It was afterwards that it all went to pot. If anything EA should be the first thing on the list as that was the first big strike against the Wii U after all the talks about the infamous partnership.

Chindogg

Not only will Nintendo lost a shit ton of money but the people who already bought a Wii U probably wouldn't buy this new system after getting burnt and people will probably do the same to this new system and push Nintendo into price drop after price drop.

They are in a bad place but I doubt a new system will help so soon into the Wii U's life.

Pretty much this. Sega did it twice with the 32X then the Saturn and it killed the damn company. You just can't scrap a system and start over within a year. It just doesn't work that way.

DaBoss

At least the controller is an actual controller and not a motion control wand.

And nobody has ever bought a Nintendo product for their online social experiences and they especially don't buy Nintendo products for third party games.
They should change that then. It won't help Nintendo at all if they don't.

Damn, i'm sad for Nintendo, i want them to do good.

I'm actually buying a copy of Super Mario 3D World and will borrow my brother's Wii U to play it in the holidays. This game deserves to be played by all gamers.

SparkTR

It was never going to sell well in Japan. If it flops elsewhere then I'll just be sad that 3D Mario will likely be relegated to handhelds in the future.

Heyt

Banned

And nobody has ever bought a Nintendo product for their online social experiences and they especially don't buy Nintendo products for third party games.

The WiiMote was a vastly superior selling point than anything the WiiU will ever have.

Nobody brought Nintendo's consoles for online or thir party games? Sounds like a problem for Nintendo, because there is clearly a market for that. That market only Nintendo is not part of.

crinale

Holy fucking shit Wii U is dead. Scrap Wii U its fucking over. Even in the wildest scenarios no one saw things getting this bad. You will see the exact same thing for Mario Kart and Smash next year. There is no point in dumping hundreds of millions of dollars into this dead system.

There was actually a thread that predicted the WiiU's fate in complete opposite way.
This is a very tough industry I guess.

Davey Cakes

SM3DW looks awesome, but every time I see it I think to myself I wonder what it would look like on a console that's in the ballpark of the PS4/Xbone.
Ask anyone who owns a Wii U and/or has at least played the game, and I doubt you'll see any concern over this. SM3DW is absolutely gorgeous to the point where no one really cares that it's not on the highest end of powerful hardware.

Like, how the game looks is the absolute last thing that anyone should be concerned about.

Your post just seemed really shallow to me and is part of the problem with gaming. You say the game looks awesome but then you go into this "what could be" scenario and it shouldn't matter. Just stick with "the game looks awesome" because that's the truth.

Zornack

No one bought an original Xbox for their online social experiences or their third party games but Microsoft still courted third parties and built an amazing online infrastructure for the 360, which paid off handsomely for them.

"Nintendo hasn't done that before so it's okay for them not to now" is not working out for the Wii U.

mikeyw85

Banned
It's launching at an awkward time. I'd pick a copy up Friday, but it's the same day I get my PS4. I think lot's of people's minds are on the PS4 and Xbone at the moment. That said, Japan don't care about the Xbone and the PS4 is months away. Maybe it was just a bad week for game sales, or digital copies weren't included?

-MD-

They should change that then. It won't help Nintendo at all if they don't.

I agree, they should. I'm just sayin.

I think the biggest issue with the WiiU (outside of it having only 1 real system selling exclusive) is the price. An online service connected with 3DS would be greatly appreciated but it shouldn't take priority.

Priority is getting some goddamn games on the console and getting away from the $299 price.

Scrap it Nintendo, cut the losses, release a traditional system with specs that out class the ps4 and Xbox One, make it connect easily with the 3DS in some fashion to create an eco system people can invest in. Call it "Nintendo" to basically show it as a reboot of everything and admission of your faults.

Scrapping the Wii U now would most likely ensure that Nintendo fans will never trust another Nintendo console anytime soon imo. I feel that most people wouldn't be in a rush to purchase another Nintendo console after your $350 investment was scrapped within a little over a year? That is what hurt Sega so bad.

Conor 419

Banned
How does that explain higher sales for a launch title with a zero install base? Or every other Mario selling better on a system with a small install base? There's no getting around this.

Handhelds being distinctively more popular in Japan?

What, so the Wii, N64, GC had Wii U level install bases in Japan did they? LOL

73V3N

Banned
Nothing. Literally nothing. It's a poor attempt to paint 3D Mario as irrelevant, when in the most comparable situation it caused a 300% rise in hardware sales (Sunshine on GCN).

It caused a 300% rise in HW... 11 years ago.

comparing 3DW to more recent releases would make more sense.

It's launching at an awkward time. I'd pick a copy up Friday, but it's the same day I get my PS4. I think lot's of people's minds are on the PS4 and Xbone at the moment. That said, Japan don't care about the Xbone and the PS4 is months away. Maybe it was just a bad week for game sales, or digital copies weren't included?

Or no one gives a shit about the console or the game. Maybe it's finally time for the excuses to end.

Well, your graph is proving that all of them have good legs.

It shows that 3D mario games sell very well in Japan which the poster was disagreeing with. yes it also shows it has impressive legs but so far every game on WiiU has had terrible legs.

NSMB and Pikmin are series that also have great legs yet the WiiU counterparts showed significantly fewer sales after the first week than previous entries.

It caused a 300% rise in HW... 11 years ago.

comparing 3DW to more recent releases would make more sense.

The Wii is not a comparable system and when SMG came out hardware was in short supply.

The Wii U is most comparable to GCN and it has failed, once again, to even live up to that low standard.

I have no clue how people find joy in this.

No joy, but a bit of a relief. Never has a first year been so bad for a Nintendo console, even though the predecessor was already dead for 2 years on top of that. Then it culminates in some standard Mario sequel that's nowhere near the legacy of a Galaxy or 64 and others, regardless of good reviews.
So Nintendo getting constant slapping for their abysmal WiiU efforts can only be a good thing, at one point they might just finally learn their lesson - especially when now comparing it to what made the 3DS work again (Although the WiiU is a lost cause, but they should now try to get their shit together for the next console)
If this shitty console strategy (copy everything that worked on other platforms in the past couple of years without major changes) succeeded however... god help us all

Nothing. Literally nothing. It's a poor attempt to paint 3D Mario as irrelevant, when in the most comparable situation it caused a 300% rise in hardware sales (Sunshine on GCN).
And what is your attempt with this statement?

That we should've expected a 300% rise of Wii U sales? Did you expect this?

The GCN had a pricedrop in June, Sunshine, as the first major 3D title after Mario 64 came out in July, a spike in June, sales fell and rised on Sunshines release, furthermore, it's easier to achieve higher %ages with lower sales.

People bought the system when the price dropped or when Sunshine came out, this (and the fact that we didn't have that much 3D Marios or Marios in such a short time) led to a higher effect in the launch week.

Numbers are bad in comparison, but there are reasons for it, did you really believe that 3D World would do wonders? It didn't help the GCN either, despite the 300%.

Exile20

Pretty much this. Sega did it twice with the 32X then the Saturn and it killed the damn company. You just can't scrap a system and start over within a year. It just doesn't work that way.

Sony and MS had a long time to prepare for thier consoles and they still had some rocky starts. Do people really think you can whip together a console in a year?

If Nintendo starts not it will take at least 2 years to launch if you poor everything into it.

That was my problem with the price drop. Now that it has proven that the public can force Nintendo into price drops so easily, that is a precedence. People already have either a PS4 or X1, why would they buy another console for $400+? They are going to ignore it knowing Nintendo or retailers will drop the price.

People are still waiting for it to drop to $99.

Anyway, Neogaf has spoilt me into caring about sales. I had the GCN and enjoyed it immensely without knowing how it was selling. I only found out in the last 2 or so years how bad it sold.

I would love to do the same with the Wii U. I am enjoying it a lot and Mario is just a great game in every sense of the word.

McHuj

Ask anyone who owns a Wii U and/or has at least played the game, and I doubt you'll see any concern over this. SM3DW is absolutely gorgeous to the point where no one really cares that it's not on the highest end of powerful hardware.

Like, how the game looks is the absolute lasted thing that anyone should be concerned about.

Your post just seemed really shallow to me and is part of the problem with gaming.

I don't care about anyone else's concern over this but mine. It's part of the reason I didn't buy a WiiU. And that's not my problem, but Nintendo's since I'm a lost sale.

-MD-

Agree. That's why it shouldn't have been exclusive to the less attractive and valuable console on the market.

Doesn't the fact that it has a game worth playing make it the most valuable console on the market?

Handhelds being distinctively more popular in Japan?

What, so the Wii, N64, GC had Wii U level install bases in Japan did they? LOL

Mario 64 launched on the N64? Not a handheld? There's no way to spin this I'm afraid. Why are you so adamant to defend their failure? It happens. Not everything has a Hollywood ending.

Rafterman

Banned
So much for all the positive Wii U news. If the "only must play game" this holiday can't sell this fucking console nothing can. It's kinda sad, though, watching people try and put positive spin on this after the chest puffing about how this was the game that would get the U back on track. Nothing is going to get console back on track short a REAL price cut, and I'm not talking $200 any more, it needs to be $150.

How does that explain higher sales for a launch title with a zero install base? Or every other Mario selling better on a system with a small install base? There's no getting around this.
Yep. People simply don't want the console and not even a great Mario game can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom