• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Wii U & 3DS Downloadable Characters Discussion and Information on Smash Ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.
So three "rules" many people had decided on were broken today.

- DLC must have 100% unique music
- DLC will always be cross platform
- They won't port stages between versions

So basically any stage from any Smash Bros game is open to be added. Pretty exciting. Hopefully with this new freedom to basically do whatever they go all out on old stages.

I find it madness that a franchise as big as Pokemon only has 2 stages in the Wii U version. Even in Brawl, while there were 3, the two Pokemon Stadiums were essentially the same concept.

Not that I'm complaining that Pokemon as a whole is under-represented, because it isn't (6 characters, Pokeball item), but with the way Mario and Zelda takes up such a large amount of the stage roster, Pokemon hardly gets a look in. (mainly talking about the Wii U version here, taking DLC into account also).

I'd be stoked if we got Saffron City, Poke Floats, Pokemon Stadium 1 or ports of Lumiose City/N's Castle, but I think a potential Pokemon DLC stage should create a new stage based off of ORAS. Or probably more likely at this point, a stage that features elements from the next game (put Zygarde and it's newly revealed forms in the background or something?)

Maaaan I know Sakurai said there probably wouldn't be too many more stages, but my mind's been swirling at all the possibilities now that those "rules" have been broken.

I gotta revise my wishlist.

The question that should be on everyone's mind though, is if Distant Planet gets ported to the Wii U, will it have Big Brain Academy as music.

It was unnatural how well that fit the stage, lol.

PK Gaming

CQIo1s1WIAAV-1-.jpg

"I'M THE BEST"

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm going to guess they made a cool Omega because Pirate Ship is literally a direct port with no graphical changes at all other than maybe some incredibly minor texture resolution bump that's basically barely noticeable.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=8u9MvqHgzqY

But I noticed some difference in the video. The waves' lines and clouds are more brighter. I still think the visual look way better in Wii U version.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also the cannons aren't killers now

I find it madness that a franchise as big as Pokemon only has 2 stages in the Wii U version. Even in Brawl, while there were 3, the two Pokemon Stadiums were essentially the same concept.

Not that I'm complaining that Pokemon as a whole is under-represented, because it isn't (6 characters, Pokeball item), but with the way Mario and Zelda takes up such a large amount of the stage roster, Pokemon hardly gets a look in. (mainly talking about the Wii U version here, taking DLC into account also).

I'd be stoked if we got Saffron City, Poke Floats, Pokemon Stadium 1 or ports of Lumiose City/N's Castle, but I think a potential Pokemon DLC stage should create a new stage based off of ORAS. Or probably more likely at this point, a stage that features elements from the next game (put Zygarde and it's newly revealed forms in the background or something?)

make 10% playable

zygarde_10__by_gantzaistar-d9a68gh.png

javadoze

Maaaan I know Sakurai said there probably wouldn't be too many more stages, but my mind's been swirling at all the possibilities now that those "rules" have been broken.

After Sakurai said that, he unveiled the two N64 stages and has now released two new stages (three if you count the DuckHunt stage ported to 3DS). I feel like he kinda just said that in a non-committal way to not get peoples' hopes up (like how he oftentimes does).

Then again, if we get DLC every month for the rest of the year at the pace we've been getting it, then I'd be satisfied (provided there's at least 2 or 3 more characters).

I'm not sure why, but I get the feeling the maps we got today weren't planned out in advance and sort of just came to be. Today's DLC was seemingly random, being just announced three weeks ago to even exist, and not even fully explained via PR even now that it's out. The music feels sort of just tossed in as well. Mario Maker's song list is just downright silly.

So many stage DLC patterns were broken today.

Well, I have to say I didn't expect there to actually be something other than Mario Maker.

Which is a hilarious stage, mind you. Sometimes you'll get a completely neutral floating stage and other times you'll get a walk of stage that is 90% lava with a couple floating platforms above it.

There is one visual inconsistency that bugs me, though--when there is lava, the lava is surrounded by hard block tiles from the castle themes to their respective game styles, save for SMB3 style's, which are ground blocks.

EDIT: Pirate Ship's Omega form is super awesome.

The spilled oil on Flat Zone X's Melee form might operate like ice in this one, I can't remember, but yeah, I think Mario Maker would be the only stage with slippery platforms on the 3DS version.

Ok, I'm trying to think of reasons for lack of character in a sane mind.

So, Mewtwo was released early because of CN, so maybe he was originally planned to be in the E3 update. So maybe the plan is a big four character update every half year or so. The fact that there is a "Character Bundle 1" that has four characters much in the way of each Mii set being in a bundle is more evidence that four characters at a time is the plan with smaller updates in between.

Nintendo has two big days each year. E3 and Holiday, which basically means the Friday before Black Friday.

So what does this mean? WE ARE GOING TO HAVE FOUR NEW CHARACTERS ON NOVEMBER 20TH!!!! (Four !'s for four characters.)

And its likely been on work for awhile so most likely no ballot characters which mean a FURTHER FOUR CHARACTERS AT E3!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I'm so hyped right now,

I fully believe this, and will bookmark this post so I can quote it on the 20th. GET HYPE!

J@hranimo

Banned
^ I love the escalation of this post. From reasoning to OMG LETS GOOOOO in a few paragraphs. 4 characters would be awesome.

I still think we're just getting Wolf and another character before the year's end.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Tamaki did say the Shovel Knight reveal was gonna happen in September or October. I am hopeful we will get two characters this month and two more in Thanksgiving.

I think this DLC will sell better than the last two. More people are familiar with Pirate Ship than the N64 stages, and Mario Maker is an entirely new stage, and one that has a neat gimmick.

Sponge

Banned
My guess is we will get two characters before the year ends, and two early on next year. Those four will be bundled as Fighter Bundle #2.

I'm not sure why, but I get the feeling the maps we got today weren't planned out in advance and sort of just came to be. Today's DLC was seemingly random, being just announced three weeks ago to even exist, and not even fully explained via PR even now that it's out. The music feels sort of just tossed in as well. Mario Maker's song list is just downright silly.

So many stage DLC patterns were broken today.

It is pretty silly, isn't it? So far I'm thinking of turning off maybe 11 songs, which would put it at 16, which just so happens to be the number for the previous record-holder of most songs (Port Town Aero Dive).

Bless the presence of the SMB3/SMW medleys and the Lost Levels arrangement.

Doesnt that other Mario stage also have a portion with ice in it?

Mushroom Kingdom U? That's just icicle hazards, although I think you can walk on them...?

I'm not really sure why Mario Land or Mario Bros or NSMB or SMB 2 music is even on that stage. None of them have anything to with Mario Maker. Peach's Castle 64 and Melee both feel kind of weird and forced on there as well, especially since the former always felt more like a remix of the Mario 64 title screen version of the grassland song than a remix of the original.

Also adding the Athletic remixes from Mario Bros 3 and World was mean. Rub it in my face that I can't use my favorite level type in Mario Maker.

The stage doesn't even need half the songs it has, it just ends up kind of being a mess. Sometimes you can have too many music choices.

PK Gaming

Oh gosh

The changed shield stun is projected to be higher than Melee

We're potentially looking at an entirely new game here. A game that favors offense.

Zubz

Banned
Oh gosh

The changed shield stun is projected to be higher than Melee

We're potentially looking at an entirely new game here. A game that favors offense.

Ack! And I'm a defensive player!

... And seriously, glad to see that songs can be on multiple levels, but the OST looks like a hot mess. And Mario Maker looks like it transforms too much.

That must be why there were so few other balance changes

Didn't want to upset the balance too much. A core change like that could have unforeseen issues if it also came with a wide scale balance patch

I appreciate that the appearance of the ship on Pirate Ship's Omega mode is the actual ship model from TWW and not Pirate Ship's modified stage version. Definitely up there with my favorite Omega mode stages.

EDIT: My least favorite Omega modes are probably Pilotwings, for being a nonsense platform instead of an actual plane, and Wuhu Island, for being essentially the same thing as Pilotwings when they had a perfectly good Omega mode in the sword fighting platform.

It looks like Mario Maker just squeaked by on the 3DS

- Only two styles per round.
- Styles change slowly, probably to try and mask there's only two of them.
- No background enemies

Clov

So three "rules" many people had decided on were broken today.

- DLC must have 100% unique music
- DLC will always be cross platform
- They won't port stages between versions

So basically any stage from any Smash Bros game is open to be added. Pretty exciting. Hopefully with this new freedom to basically do whatever they go all out on old stages.

Yep, this is what's really exciting to me! Now the Wii U version can have 3DS stages, old stages I liked that I thought were ruled out (like Mushroom Kingdom II, Fountain of Dreams, etc) can come back... lots of possibilities, and I hope we see more stages soon!

On a different note, that Mario Maker stage is so much fun! Might be one of my favorite stages now.

mStudios

Now that shield stun was increased.
What's gonna be the next excuse to say that Sakurai cares none about tournaments/hardcore players?

I appreciate that the appearance of the ship on Pirate Ship's Omega mode is the actual ship model from TWW and not Pirate Ship's modified stage version. Definitely up there with my favorite Omega mode stages.

EDIT: My least favorite Omega modes are probably Pilotwings, for being a nonsense platform instead of an actual plane, and Wuhu Island, for being essentially the same thing as Pilotwings when they had a perfectly good Omega mode in the sword fighting platform.

Those two were pretty disappointing, but I don't think anything can top how ugly Woolly World is.

- No 3D (Duck Hunt also lacks 3D, apparently the only two stages that do?)
- No background enemies

Oh wow, I wonder what this will entail for future 3DS stage DLC. Pirate Ship already seemed too much for it.

Yep, this is what's really exciting to me! Now the Wii U version can have 3DS stages, old stages I liked that I thought were ruled out (like Mushroom Kingdom II, Fountain of Dreams, etc) can come back... lots of possibilities, and I hope we see more stages soon!

On a different note, that Mario Maker stage is so much fun! Might be one of my favorite stages now.

I don't think FOD will ever come back thanks to the reflections, but fuck me if that wouldn't be incredible.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Yeah, man. I'm thrilled because it literally opened the gate to any stage speculation. :)

Now that shield stun was increased.
What's gonna be the next excuse to say that Sakurai cares none about tournaments/hardcore players?

Why he didn't nerf Sheik yet?! and why did he buff Rosalina! (sarcastic)

Oh wow, I wonder what this will entail for future 3DS stage DLC. Pirate Ship already seemed too much for it.

I wonder if it is because 3DS don't really have any swimming animation and functions.

Tyeforce

- No 3D (Duck Hunt also lacks 3D, apparently the only two stages that do?)
- No background enemies
Wait, what? I played both stages on 3DS just a bit ago and I swear they used the stereoscopic 3D. They're "flat" stages like Flat Zone, etc., but they still utilize the 3D effect for the backgrounds and such. Unless I'm just crazy and seeing 3D effects when they don't exist. =P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom