• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Snake Pass will be fixing its home menu icon on Nintendo Switch

Neiteio

Golf Story is rad too.
Oh nice, Golf Story has a nice icon? What does it look like? I've been tempted to pick it up since I really liked the Mario Golf RPG on the Game Boy Color.

(Still fondly remember opening a locker and reading flavor text describing Wario's gym socks!)

A part of me really wishes it would end up being something like this
w9Zl1bB.jpg
Please.
YES.

Who are you people

People like myself are paid designers who actually have to design for both form and function. These giant-ass face icons on my 50" TV make me want to get that game off my homescreen as soon as I can.

When this update drops I'll use it as an excuse to finish Snake Pass. I'm nearly there, but so many other things to play ;D

BiggNife

Next YEAR? What?

Patches on Nintendo systems take a long-ass time to go through because Nintendo's cert process is supposedly pretty rigorous (though that doesn't quite explain how the Sonic Mania home button thing slipped through, BUT ANYWAY).

Going through the patch/cert process just to change an image would be way too time consuming and counter-productive so they're waiting until their next update patch.

Keyouta

The icon guidelines from Nintendo already specify using a piece of art and a logo so I'm not sure why exectly these horrible icons are being made. I know some of them are used across platforms: the Lego and Sonic, etc icons should change across them all.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I want to formally apologise to Neiteio for ever doubting their cause

I guess you really can be the change you want to see in the world

It's too bad that these are the battles we choose to fight though. Can you do microtransactions next Neiteio? :p

That being said, I'm really glad that SD2 icon is being changed to that great piece of art

I have to say it's definitely never bothered me before on other platform UIs. The Switch however is so clean and the icons are huge that the difference between well-designed icons and bad icons is just so obvious. Why Nintendo didn't make the 'guidelines' more mandatory is beyond me. Even Steam can make all grid view banners include the logo.

Using the same icon to make branding unified across platforms is silly anyway when you look at how awful the 'smartphone app' style design looked in the Switch interface. Anyway, glad it's being fixed but I hope they get why and it's not just to stop the people from complaining.

BiggNife

They look awful because they are all characters yelling

Yeah. One thing I will say is that I actually like the icon for VOEZ, which I think is the same one Rayark uses on mobile:

Would be nice if the title was there but it's got a nice aesthetic. I don't think no title = bad icon, necessarily.

The only time this stuff annoys me a little is when the icon is genuinely ugly, like Lego Worlds or SD2.

Neiteio

I remember reading an interview where Hideki Kamiya talked about how disappointed he was that the Wii port of Okami cut out the original credits. He used a Japanese word that I can't remember, but he explained that it referred to all of the emotions, all of the love and blood and sweat and tears that went into something. And he said the original credits theme embodied that concept. It contained all of the emotions he wanted people to feel during their journey.

Ideally, devs would approach their icons the same way. They spent years working on their game, working their hardest to create something they hope will make other people happy. There are feelings they want people to feel, memories they want people to have. The icon is probably the last thing they create, after everything else is said and done. It could be an opportunity to sum up the game's sense of adventure and convey the feelings they want us to feel. Same for a box if you buy physically.

Look at the Mario Kart icon and how you have Mario, Peach and Bowser joyously racing toward the screen on a rainbow-colored highway to heaven. Look at the new SteamWorld Dig 2 icon and how you have Dorothy exploring a deep dark cave lit only by bioluminescent shrooms. They're beautiful, and they feel like something premium, something made by people who care.

On the other hand, a giant face, or a letter and a number, don't convey much of anything. I'm really appreciative that the devs care about their fans and are listening.

I remember reading an interview where Hideki Kamiya talked about how disappointed he was that the Wii port of Okami cut out the original credits.

I wonder how disappointed Hideki Kamiya was that the Wii port of Okami featured a gigantic IGN watermark on its boxart.

forrest

formerly nacire
A welcomed changed from a fair critique that some saw little to no merit in.

I'm glad they saw the feedback and were open to the idea.

Neiteio

I wonder how disappointed Hideki Kamiya was that the Wii port of Okami featured a gigantic IGN watermark on its boxart.
Yeah, that's still crazy that happened. But cutting out the credits must've really stung. Okami is, like, one of the longest games ever. Watching the original credits, it's clear Kamiya intended for them to be a beautiful summation of everything you'd gone through.

JayBabay

Great job on getting attention to this issue that many seemed affected by. It’s nice to see that your efforts will be rewarded and garner enough attention to make this non issue in the future.

Spades

What the fuck? 2018?

I mean, you realise it probably comes at considerable cost to the development team to actually push a game update through certification, right? They'll just change the icon in the next scheduled update I expect so they're not paying to literally change the fucking icon.

I actually really liked Snake Pass's new icon—it was clean and graphical. I don't own the game though, and I don't feel nearly as strongly as OP, so I'm glad for him!

Don't you dare take my Sonic Mania icon away from me though! Kind of joking, but I legitimately LOVE that icon.

Wozman23

That's one of the world's injustices solved!

Now, Neiteio, can you help solve this whole debacle about Civil War statues and kneeling during the National Anthem?

Honestly though, I hope the delayed change is due to a big update, like DLC. I'd love to slither back into the world of Snake Pass.

Neiteio

I actually really liked Snake Pass's new icon—it was clean and graphical. I don't actually own the game though, and I don't feel nearly as strongly as OP, so I'm glad for him!

Don't you dare take my Sonic Mania icon away from me though! Kind of joking, but I legitimately really, REALLY like that icon.
Maybe someday, there will be a system in place where each game provides several icons and the Switch OS allows you to choose the ones you want on a game-by-game basis.

Baby steps, I guess.

Maybe someday, there will be a system in place where each game provides several icons and the Switch OS allows you to choose the ones you want on a game-by-game basis.

Baby steps, I guess.

I was thinking about this, but I'm not sure I'd want it. One of the things I really like about the Switch OS is how "hands-off" it is. You can't spend time organizing the menu or thinking about the best arrangement—they just order everything for you based on what you've last played.

If they add ordering and folders and the ability to choose icons, it will really detract from the minimalist nature.

RedToad64

I wonder if the developers behind the "bad" icons have actually used the Switch's interface and realized how big of a deal the icons are.

Happy about this. I'd prefer all games to not just feature heads of characters or icons of things in the game or whatever.

I will say that Sonic Mania's Icon is only passable because of the colors, but I think it'd look better with the title and Sonic/Knuckles/Tails from the Opening standing together or something.

Edit: Like this with the title:

Sonic_Mania_%28artwork%29.jpg

Neiteio

Happy about this. I'd prefer all games to not just feature heads of characters or icons of things in the game or whatever.

I will say that Sonic Mania's Icon is only passable because of the colors, but I think it'd look better with the title and Sonic/Knuckles/Tails from the Opening standing together or something.
There is a Sonic Mania update on the way that will add a dedicated button for Super Sonic and fixes for the home menu button on the Switch version. Maybe they'll update the icon... Probably not, but maybe!

I actually agree the Sonic Mania icon looks decent, despite lacking a logo. Like you said, it's the colors, etc. But I'd prefer one with the title. Especially since there will definitely be more Sonic games in the future, and if they all just have Sonic's head for the icon, well...

-shadow-

Edit: Like this with the title:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d2/Sonic_Mania_%28artwork%29.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm actually super confused why they're using different icons across the system and website.

There is a Sonic Mania update on the way that will add a dedicated button for Super Sonic and fixes for the home menu button on the Switch version. Maybe they'll update the icon... Probably not, but maybe!

I actually agree the Sonic Mania icon looks decent, despite lacking a logo. Like you said, it's the colors, etc. But I'd prefer one with the title. Especially since there will definitely be more Sonic games in the future, and if they all just have Sonic's head for the icon, well...

Yep, looking forward to that update. Ruins Knuckles and Tails when you have all the Chaos Emeralds IMO. And I hope they do too, but I honestly doubt it. I updated my last post with what they could do if they make it a bit smaller and crop/fit it in well. It still has the great look, but much better and with more characters than just Sonic.

ghibli99

Glad they're changing it. It didn't matter to me in the grand scheme, but my Switch's main screen will look much nicer because of it, and that's cool!

Top Bottom