• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

Afrocious

So now my question is: why did the Best Buy pre-order last so much longer than these other sites?

Was it because people were overall slow to jump on it since it was the first of this wave of pre-orders? Or...did BB fuck up and massively oversell =[

folks were sleep

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So now my question is: why did the Best Buy pre-order last so much longer than these other sites?

Was it because people were overall slow to jump on it since it was the first of this wave of pre-orders? Or...did BB fuck up and massively oversell =[

Wasnt it at 1am EST?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Disappointed.

It's 2017 why don't all have bot detection and captchas at checkout.

This is nearly as bad a yeezy release. At least adidas.com had a captcha on checkout.

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
I swear I've pressed that damn preorder button a thousand times on Target and never even gotten it into the cart. Don't know how you guys are doing it. Just luck I guess.

TrojanAg

People weren't expecting it since it was late last night. The retailers this morning were expected to do it at 10 am and the scalpers were ready.

burgerdog

Nobody was ready for it, so it took a while for people to realize it was up.

You doubting your GOD right now?

giphy.gif

RootCause

The classic line has been handled so poorly. :(

😴
It would've been a bloodbath at the same time as the others.

cordy

Banned
Yeah Amazon and Best Buy did theirs early in the morning where most were asleep and us who stay up late had the jump on it. I was literally about to head to bed but then that Amazon Gametrust link came up and I preordered just to be sure. I then wake up and I hear it's probably true.

Scalpers had no idea about the random drops and that's a plus for those of us who were up late.

Vectorman

Banned
So what happened to that other amazon link? Got borked and that was a separate thing? Like what is going on haha. Is there still a shot on Amazon today?

DeanBDean

I guarantee you people at Gamestop are feeling the heat right now. To have a major, unscheduled downtime event for most of the afternoon is a big deal for a retail site. They literally lose money for every minute it's down.

So... I just found out via PayPal that I've sent over $810 to GameStop today... yet none of my orders went through on the app.

my order history still doesn't show any, yet I got an email confirmation for one... this is fun...

zeemumu

I think it was partially because it was out of nowhere being the first one out of the gate (Walmart's previous one excluded) and after that and Amazon's, people started paying attention.

LaneDS

I used a card, so I'm out of luck with those methods. Thanks, though.

I'd assume you're set. I also didn't get the confirmation e-mail from ThinkGeek, but I did verify the pending charge shows up deep within Paypal. Would call them up when things calm down to verify for the peace of mind though.

Juraash

Well, not that I think it matters much ow, but I'm bowing out. This is frustrating and heartbreaking and it ruined my mood for the entire day. Crashed websites, barely any brick and mortar p/o slots, bundled with fucking garbage.

So stupid, wasted so much time today, my nostalgia isn't worth it at this point. GL to those still trying.

mjc

Disappointed.

It's 2017 why don't all have bot detection and captchas at checkout.

This is nearly as bad a yeezy release. At least adidas.com had a captcha on checkout.

The article about the bots says retailers were aware that their preorders could get swarmed by scammers...but they apparently don't care enough to enact captchas on checkouts. (Or a hard one per account rule)

Kusagari

I guarantee you people at Gamestop are feeling the heat right now. To have a major, unscheduled downtime event for most of the afternoon is a big deal for a retail site. They literally lose money for every minute it's down.

This is nothing new for GameStop. The website has been trash, crashing at even the slightest bit of traffic, for years. They just don't care to actually make a functioning website apparently.

jmizzal

It was 1 am est, and nobody knew preorders were going up then

Where as every other site people knew and were ready

Gamestop at least started to do a good job with this. Didn't put up online orders when everyone expected told people to go do it in stores, making all the people running bots unable to purchase multiples with ease.

And while I've seen a lot of hate for the bundles I think people overlook that it also helps stop scalpers and bots because there are multiple skus and product pages and many of the bundles are fairly expensive.

Sure it might seem like Gamestop is ripping you off but if they didn't bundle things online it would be just like Target/Walmart and they'd sell out in 20 seconds with a majority of them going to scalpers.

I don't think its an ideal situation for any of us but unlike Target/Walmart at least Gamestop is trying something to at least slow down scalpers. Yeah they bundle things that likely people don't really want but if they had just done it the same as target/walmart people would be pissed at them for that anyway so I'm not sure there is a good solution here.

Well the good solution is Nintendo just not fucking around with inventory and actually trying to meet an obvious demand but thats who we all really should be blaming for this fiasco. I'd personally rather see people on gaf buy 150$ bundles from GS then spending 200/300$+ on Ebay to a scalper. Even if you don't like the GS items they are still selling you multiple products at MSRP instead of just the same item for several times the price, there is a big difference between those two things even though it doesn't really feel like it.

Hylian7

I'm not sure what else you think he's doing with them.
At the very least I would hope he is getting them for friends/family or something. If he's scalping then he's a scumbag, full stop. I honestly think that should be bannable, but it isn't up to me.

Blizzard

Banned
So it's ok for mods to ban this guy right? just wondering
I already asked a mod yesterday and they said it's a free market and there's basically no policy against bragging repeatedly about scalping, as long as they don't specifically insult other posters.

Top Bottom