• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

gweemz

I thought Nintendo was making a significantly greater amount of these than the nes classic. With Best Buy selling out in 20 min it doesn't sound like it.

I like how it's NOAs fault that these retailers choose to put preorders up in the middle of the night lol.

It is.

Nintendo has it on their site now that it's available for preorder at a bunch of sites.

Maybe they should have given some notice outside of "late August". It's almost as if they have no clue what's going on with their own product.

They saw what happened with NES Classic and guaranteed enough stock this time around.

Preorders then sell out in under 5 minutes, so yes, it possible to blame Nintendo for stupid stuff like not having this prepared properly. They aren't immune to criticism.

If Microsoft can decide when the Scorpio goes on preorder why can't Nintendo with the Classic?

bman94

Missed pre-orders for this shit, guess I won't be able to get this either. Never even seen the NES Classix and this will probably be the same case. SMH!

FTF

I thought Nintendo was making a significantly greater amount of these than the nes classic. With Best Buy selling out in 20 min it doesn't sound like it.

NES sold out in like 5-10min so one could say they're making double now :/

I like how it's NOAs fault that these retailers choose to put preorders up in the middle of the night lol.

It's Nintendo's fault for underproducing a product and not working with retailers to communicate when pre-orders were going up. I don't think many people would have an issue if we were told "Pre-orders are going up at 1AM EST on 8/22/17."

I would have set an alarm like I did when I pre-ordered my iPhone 6S when Apple worked with the cell phone companies to disseminate that information to its potential customers. It's not rocket science, it's pretty straightforward -- Nintendo just chooses to make its customers do things in ridiculous ways in order to purchase their products for some reason.

The blueprint is out there, Nintendo just refuses to follow it.

BroBot

Wow so a lot of us are depending on GameStop now to get a pre-order in I guess... Depending on GameStop... I need a moment to let that sink in.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They have no communication and never produce enough. 100 percent Nintendo's fault. Retailers wouldnt have to put them up in the middle of the night if they got enough stock.

tbm24

Gotta say, the tv ad(assuming it shows up in tv) just makes me feel worse given how 90s they wanted it to feel(with a half asleep announcer at least). I really want this thing. Preorders going up while I'm sleeping to get up early for work is bullshit.

Oni Jazar

Now that people know unlike last year that these products are truly limited, the demand from all sides is madness. Nintendo could make tens of millions and scalpers will still auto-buy every single unit they can.

The rationale last year was "oh just wait until after new years where you'll be able to just waltz into a store and get one no problem." Now we all know it's dog eat dog.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Wow so a lot of us are depending on GameStop now to get a pre-order in I guess... Depending on GameStop... I need a moment to let that sink in.

Need a Yoshi Lamp and a Master Sword Toilet Plunger to go with it right? Then GameStop is your best bet!

Kusagari

Nintendo is the only company that constantly has retailers put their preorders up at 2 a.m., so obviously it's something to do with them.

Incoming bundles since they might be waiting to be the last one to go up :/

NoA deserves all the blame because NoE had pre orders the same day/next day of its announcement
Who the hell says "late August" with no actual date
Are we suppose to stay awake every night ? That's dumb af

Yukinari

The worst part is all the reviewers on youtube will easily secure theirs from Nintendo just like with the NES classic.

They dont have to worry about anything.

The Lamp

I decided to silence my phone because my friends sometimes call or text me late at night as a joke.

Woke up to the now in stock alert 5 hours late.

Fuck Nintendo. I had a Walmart preorder too :(

I'm not saying Nintendo isn't at fault in places here. But you're all getting those pitchforks ready mighty fast just because you missed a preorder. You don't know the allocation numbers. You don't know production numbers. You don't know inner workings on how and when things go up for pre order. Just cool your damn hive mind for a second, sheesh.

RockmanBN

NoA deserves all the blame because NoE had pre orders the same day/next day of its announcement

Late August but not too late, but late at night.

Nintendo can quite easily tell retailers to post preorders at a specified time and date.

'Preorders for SNES Mini go live at amazon/bestbut/target/walmart/etc etc at 12pm PST'

They're in complete control of the preorder situation. It's not rocket science like Nintendo makes it out to be.

EDIT: Maybe it's not an apples to apples situation but for something like the Xbox one X, people had several days heads-up that preorder info would become available through watching gamescom at 3pm EST. You were giving people a reasonable heads-up and opportunity to order one. Nintendo's methodology does nothing but cause misinformation and confusion. And considering they have the NES Mini experience to know exactly how in-demand the SNES followup would be, there's really no excuses. There's no 'we were caught off-guard by the demand' excuse. There's no 'creating buzz for the Switch/brand recognition' theory since Switch is out and frankly, Nintendo is one of the most recognized brands in the world so these 'create shortages to create brand awareness' marketing theories are vacuous in my humble opinion. There is no excuse.

I mean to be fair there were signs, the Famicom and SNES trailers went up last night. That is usually a sign for something happening, I absolutely expected Preorders to go up last night or sometime today I'm just mad I sleep through my texts from Wario >.>

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
If Nintendo weren't a bunch of incompetent fucks the time the preorder went up wouldn't matter because they'd have made enough of these to meet demand.

zulux21

*yawns*

so nintendo told me that they learned from the nes classic and that the snes classic would have plenty of stock.

in reality it sold out while I was sleeping. This is what I was expecting anyways.

oh well. I will just hope I hit the amazon and best buy restocks as they put them up when people's charges fail.

are there any major places that haven't gone up yet?

Watch I'm about to head into the east river tunnels in a few minutes. The other pre-orders will open up and I'll miss it again as soon as I get service again.

Reggienotmyproblem.jpg

*yawns*

so nintendo told me that they learned from the nes classic and that the snes classic would have plenty of stock.

in reality it sold out while I was sleeping.

oh well. I will just hope I hit the amazon and best buy restocks as they put them up when people's charges fail.

are there any major places that haven't gone up yet?

Target, Walmart, GameStop and ToysRUs I think.

It absolutely is their fault. Nintendo thrives off of this shit and they tell retailers when they can put up preorders and if they can announce when the pre orders are going up. Putting them up at 1 am and 4 am on Best Buy and amazon is absolutely shitty. Nintendo, when it comes to this stuff is absolutely awful and no one should give them a pass.

Yukinari

Why is that a bad thing? What do you have against reviewers?

I dunno i just feel like shit seeing all these reviews pop up in my sub box for a product as if everyone can buy it.

I can understand if it were for a collectors Nendo or something but not a video game device.

Ovid

Wow, they put up preorders at 1am EST!? Unbelievable.

I had a feeling preorders would be going up soon because of that trailer.

Why would they do that when the East Coast is sleeping?

The worst part is all the reviewers on youtube will easily secure theirs from Nintendo just like with the NES classic.

They dont have to worry about anything.

What difference does it make how well it reviews if no one can buy it?

That's like if the greatest movie of all time came out, but was only showing in one theater in the whole country.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just noticed my Amazon pre-order was changed from the original £79.99 down to the standard £69.99.

Wonder when this happened.

maxcriden

*yawns*

in reality it sold out while I was sleeping. This is what I was expecting anyways.

Hopefully the majority of stock will not be preorderable. I'm keeping fingers and toes crossed that I can go to a store at or around opening on release day and get one.

Top Bottom