• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNES Classic Preorder Shitshow Discussion (Please Read Rules in OP)

It absolutely is their fault. Nintendo thrives off of this shit and they tell retailers when they can put up preorders and if they can announce when the pre orders are going up. Putting them up at 1 am and 4 am on Best Buy and amazon is absolutely shitty. Nintendo, when it comes to this stuff is absolutely awful and no one should give them a pass.

Yes and no, while Nintendo gives them a date to do them if Nintendo actually dictated when the Preorders themselves went up (what time) they'd all start at the same time. The fact that they didn't shows that Amazon and Best Buy likely put them up then because it'd be less overall traffic on their sites because you'd have a lot of people on the East Coast already gone to bed, meaning they aren't as likely to have their site crash which is whats happened in the past with shit like Amiibos and other Nintendo related things.

What difference does it make how well it reviews if no one can buy it?

That's like if the greatest movie of all time came out, but was only showing in one theater in the whole country.
Jean Michel Jarre made a whole album that was auctioned off for charity, only one person has it. There are poor radio recordings but the original was never bootlegged etc.

So it has happened!

On topic - it creates hype and further drives up demand of a small product, word of mouth etc.

I like how it's NOAs fault that these retailers choose to put preorders up in the middle of the night lol.

I'm not saying Nintendo isn't at fault in places here. But you're all getting those pitchforks ready mighty fast just because you missed a preorder. You don't know the allocation numbers. You don't know production numbers. You don't know inner workings on how and when things go up for pre order. Just cool your damn hive mind for a second, sheesh.

No, that's pretty much exactly what you said. Nintendo doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt here since they've pulled this shit over and over and over. It's not hard to assume this will be limited considering nintendos past history with most of their products but especially with what they pulled with the NES classic. Saying we don't know is you assuming Nintendo is going to do right by the people who want this and historically Nintendo hasn't. So, no, fuck giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Syriel

Wow so a lot of us are depending on GameStop now to get a pre-order in I guess... Depending on GameStop... I need a moment to let that sink in.

Wonder if the GameStop preorders will come with a side of credit card theft again, like last year?

Steiner

Banned
Update: My source said they'll no longer be going live with their bundle pre-orders right at 8 central. Still going up today. Will update me on the time soon. I'll still drop the link here right before I publish to the rest of the world so you guys can get a small jump.

LiK

East Coasters are getting screwed outta preorders with the time zones. 1AM for BB and 5AM for Amazon. Either we're asleep or getting ready for work.

I missed both. I think I'm fucked for getting one now. These things will probably be $400 or something like that on eBay each.

East Coasters are getting screwed outta preorders with the time zones. 1AM for BB and 5AM for Amazon. Either we're asleep or getting ready for work.

Basically. Nobody wins like this.

zigg

That system is garbage, it always alerts you when the product is out of stock for limited items

Just set notifications on for wario64 and you are good to go
I appreciate Wario's work, but there's no way I'm having my phone go off tens of times a day on the off-chance one of the alerts is for SNES Classic

Update: My source said they'll no longer be going live with their bundle pre-orders right at 8 central. Still going up today. Will update me on the time soon. I'll still drop the link here right before I publish to the rest of the world so you guys can get a small jump.

If you want to give us the edge, use the trick so people have to quote your post to see the time. Only allows members to see it.

That system is garbage, it always alerts you when the product is out of stock for limited items

Just set notifications on for wario64 and you are good to go

I think he meant all automated alerts. Nowinstock was useless for this, Amazon put up a brand new product page with a weird name and no image and it went live immediately. All alert systems were foiled. Only human ones like Wario and this thread worked, and even they were a little late.

NoA has an online shop too
Why don't you put an all sales final when selling the snes classic or a pre order option to see how much units to make?

But no, false shortages x limited is happening again

Fox Mulder

That LITERALLY happened with the Xbox One X lol.

The Xbox one x went up exactly when they said it would, right after the gamecom presentation. Not in the middle of the night on a weekday. It was also just a limited edition, a regular Xbox one x will be easily found in stores.

Nintendo has the same issues over and over with almost everything they put out. It's our fault if we get mad at this point, a complete shit show should be expected.

LiK

NoA has an online shop too
Why don't you put an all sales final when selling the snes classic or a pre order option to see how much units to make?

But no, false shortages x limited is happening again

Seriously, I don't understand why they don't use that and limit 1 per customer and make enough for that.

FTF

Oh wow I didn't know Amazon preorders went up too. And 5am est/2am pst? That timing is even more crazy :/

Edit: hmm maybe Amazon was a glitch/error?

The Xbox one x went up exactly when they said it would, right after the gamecom presentation. Not in the middle of the night on a weekday. It was also just a limited edition, a regular Xbox one x will be easily found in stores.

Nintendo has the same issues over and over with almost everything they put out. It's our fault if we get mad at this point, a complete shit show should be expected.

Yeah, it's almost like Microsoft actually wants people to be able to get its products so it puts them up for pre order in the middle of the day rather than the middle of the night.

I'll just back down from these rounds of pre-orders. Amazon still hasn't cancelled my one from the UK, so I will just take that and be incredibly thankful. US seems to be a disaster already.

Alright, you guys make valid points. And I guess I can understand the frustration. If in fact they're setting the exact time things can go live, and its in the middle of the night, thats fucked.

And it is stupid we dont know it ahead of time.

I assume all these things are done in the name of combating scalpers but if the cost is the majority of the people who want it not even being awake when it goes live than that really blows.

Hopefully they really will have a whole crap ton of them on shelves at launch like theyre claiming...but yeah I'm doubtful as well on that.

Top Bottom