• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, about the Wii U 50hz VC...

Neff

Damn, everything? That just sucks...

All the Wii VC console games, bar the ones never originally released in the UK such as FFVI and Chrono Trigger, yes, are all 50hz. This includes Neo Geo as well, despite there probably only being around 3 people who ever bought a PAL 50hz Neo Geo.

The arcade games are all 60hz as far as I know.

1-D_FTW

Watching the F-Zero side-by-side video over at Eurogamer makes me realize how bad Euro gaf had it. That's terrible. Absolutely terrible. I guess I should have known it was keyed to frames and would cause games to run slowly, but I always just assumed they weren't as fluid. Not that they literally ran slower.

Ein Bear

Do you guys think there's any chance of NoE actually listening to our complaints about this? Between the Internet and the Miiverse there seems to be a pretty decent buzz building around the issue.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
All the Wii VC console games, bar the ones never originally released in the UK such as FFVI and Chrono Trigger, yes, are all 50hz. This includes Neo Geo as well, despite there probably only being around 3 people who ever bought a PAL 50hz Neo Geo.

The arcade games are all 60hz as far as I know.

Luckily the DKC games aren't affected in a negative way due to 50hz.
What sucks is that they removed them ):. Maybe so they can manage to fuck them up somehow for PAL gamers ;)

Ein Bear

Luckily the DKC games aren't affected in a negative way due to 50hz.
What sucks is that they removed them ):. Maybe so they can manage to fuck them up somehow for PAL gamers ;)

You joke, but I remember hearing that Mega Drive games that were never released in Europe and put on the service as imports were actually modified to run at 50hz.

Edit: Here we go:

MegaDrive games get the worst PAL conversion of all, no optimisation is made whatsoever so all run in 50hz with borders and 17.5% slower than the NTSC originals. Shockingly, Hanabi titles which are NTSC ROMS go through some kind of reverse engineering that downgrades them to run in 50hz, borders and 17.5% slower. So even imports arn't safe, this is the case right up until Sega's most recent release Pulseman. Avoid.

Terrell

I'd feel bad, but no one seemed to think that 50Hz PAL televisions would lead to an interoperability nightmare like this in the future when NTSC was the original standard that came before PAL. So really, this is your parents' fault, Europeans. As long as PAL-only TVs exist in Europe and PAL is still the implemented broadcast method, this will not change.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'd feel bad, but no one seemed to think that 50Hz PAL televisions would lead to an interoperability nightmare like this in the future when NTSC was the original standard that came before PAL. So really, this is your parents' fault, Europeans. As long as PAL-only TVs exist in Europe and PAL is still the implemented broadcast method, this will not change.

Try finding a PAL TV that doesn't at least support PAL-60, I'm sure the majority even supports NTSC mode. Shit my old fat widescreen supports NTSC signals. (I tried NTSC mode with with SMT: Lucifer's Call, worked like a charm)

Ein Bear

Running 60hz content on any TV made in the last 15 or so years isn't a problem at all. And really, it was perfectly possible to make these games run at full speed/full screen at 50hz back in the day, it just would have required extra work that developers were too lazy to do.

I have to say, it's kind of a dick move when people who are unaffected by the issue are telling us that we should just stop complaining and accept it. I'd like to see how you felt if it was PAL games that ran properly, and the US Virtual Console service that was gimped.

Terrell

Running 60hz content on any TV made in the last 15 or so years isn't a problem at all. And really, it was perfectly possible to make these games run at full speed/full screen at 50hz back in the day, it just would have required extra work that developers were too lazy to do.

I have to say, it's kind of a dick move when people who are unaffected by the issue are telling us that we should just stop complaining and accept it. I'd like to see how you felt if it was PAL games that ran properly, and the US Virtual Console service that was gimped.

History is what it is. I don't disagree that things should be a better way, but I think we can all agree that there should not have been divergent television standards in the first place.

I am glad to see that PAL-60 has picked up in popularity since my last research into PAL TVs back in 1996. Only took HOW many years to fix that major oversight?

And I wouldn't call not implementing "unfeasible code changes" a matter of devs being lazy.

Wikipedia said:
Criticism of PAL region video games

Games ported to PAL have historically been known for having game speed and frame rates inferior to their NTSC counterparts. Since the NTSC standard is 60 fields/30 frames per second but PAL is 50 fields/25 frames per second, games were typically slowed down by approximately 17.5% in order to avoid timing problems or unfeasible code changes. FMV rendered and encoded at 30 frames per second by the Japanese/US (NTSC) developers was often down-sampled to 25 frames per second for PAL release—usually by means of 3:2 pull-down, resulting in motion judder. In addition to this, PAL's increased resolution was not utilised during conversion, creating a pseudo letterbox effect with borders top and bottom, leaving the graphics with a slightly squashed look due to an incorrect aspect ratio caused by the borders. This was especially prevalent during previous generations when 2D graphics were used almost exclusively. The gameplay of many games with an emphasis on speed, such as the original Sonic The Hedgehog for the Mega Drive, suffered in their PAL incarnations.

Despite the possibility and popularity of 60 Hz PAL games, many high profile games, particularly for the PS1 and PS2 console, were released in 50 Hz-only versions. Square Enix have long been criticised by PAL gamers for their poor PAL conversions. Final Fantasy X runs in 50 Hz mode only, and 17.5% slower and bordered that while prevalent in previous generations was considered inexcusable at the time of release.[1] In stark contrast, the Xbox featured a system-wide PAL60 option in the Dashboard and the overwhelming majority of PAL games offered 50 and 60 Hz modes with no slowdown. Current generation PAL consoles such as the Xbox 360 and Wii also feature system-wide 60 Hz support.

Nintendo's Virtual Console service has been criticized due to PAL games running in 50 Hz only, despite the ability to run in 60 Hz mode.[2] This does not seem to be the case on 3DS Virtual Console games.

But with all that said, I don't think you should give up the fight for proper 60Hz VC games, but let's be quite clear that this should never have been an issue in the first place. Instead of just stomping feet and demanding, ask what would be involved in making the change happen and, with an informed position on the matter and assuming there is no sacrifice involved to get what you're after, take the fight where it needs to go.

Simply bemoaning being part of the PAL region and casting blame on others without ever having a dialogue about it is fruitless.

netBuff

History is what it is. I don't disagree that things should be a better way, but I think we can all agree that there should not have been divergent television standards in the first place.

Simply bemoaning being part of the PAL region and casting blame on others without ever having a dialogue about it is fruitless.

What you are writing is absurd. PAL was invented in the 1960s for broadcast, and is a much better standard for colour television transmission than NTSC - a PAL signal is much more robust and has more lines. Whether NTSC was "the original standard" or not is completely irrelevant, and the fact that video game manufacturers didn't code properly for a major signal format is completely their fault. 50Hz/60Hz is a factor of differing power systems: Do you want us to change the history of how the world was electrified as well? Why is this at all relevant?

I am glad to see that PAL-60 has picked up in popularity since my last research into PAL TVs back in 1996. Only took HOW many years to fix that major oversight?

But with all that said, I don't think you should give up the fight for proper 60Hz VC games, but let's be quite clear that this should never have been an issue in the first place. Instead of just stomping feet and demanding, ask what would be involved in making the change happen and, with an informed position on the matter and assuming there is no sacrifice involved to get what you're after, take the fight where it needs to go.

Yes, why didn't our parents demand a much inferior broadcasting standard to be implemented? Couldn't they foresee video game manufacturers doing crappy conversions 20 years later? *irony* PAL is also displayed at 50Hz by design, this was not "an oversight".

Ein Bear

And I wouldn't call not implementing "unfeasible code changes" a matter of devs being lazy.

I'm sorry, but your entire point just seems to be "It's your own fault for not doing things the same way as WE do them", which is ridiculous. PAL isn't a wrong format, it's just a different one - with it's own advantages and disadvantages.

And really, unless you can find a firmer source than a vague mention of "unfeasible code changes" on Wikipedia, I'm standing by the fact that it was perfectly possible to get a game running properly on a PAL system. The SNES Donkey Kong Country games, for example, ran identically in Europe to how they did in the US, despite one version being 50hz and the other 60hz. There are a handful of 50hz Virtual Console titles which have been amended to run at full speed, without borders too.

I'm not even European and it is completely mind-blowing that there are people on GAF that would rather play the 50hz versions of old games. You people seriously don't like your games to work properly?

sakipon

I'm not even European and it is completely mind-blowing that there are people on GAF that would rather play the 50hz versions of old games. You people seriously don't like your games to work properly?

I understand it might be more familiar to some. Like some people may prefer a censored or cut version of a movie if that's what they've always used to watch.

Once again, the biggest irony here is that Nintendo themselves released PAL 60 only retail games (well, at least one, MP2).

I understand it might be more familiar to some. Like some people may prefer a censored or cut version of a movie if that's what they've always used to watch.
Pretty much, like there used to be Pan&Scan defenders who preferred having their movies cropped to fill the screen.

Ashler

People unable to make out the difference of 50Hz vs 60Hz games, or actually prefer the games running at 50Hz blows my mind.

I'm European, played all games at 50Hz during my childhood, and having tried the 60Hz versions of these games is like night vs day. There is huge difference between them, its almost like playing a game at half of the frame rate sometimes.

I'm not apathetic. I don't want high pitched Mario themes. I want it like I experienced it.

Just to clarify, most of the later PAL NES games were adjusted so that the music would run at the same speed as the NTSC versions. That's why Super Mario Bros 3 or Mega Man 3 for example had exactly the same music in Europe and the US (while still having slower gameplay).

As for the music of the orignial Super Mario Bros, the European version is actually the one that runs too fast. Because they realized the game ran slower than the original, they just sped up everything including the music. Which makes SMB1 one of the only PAL games where the gameplay is acutally the same speed as the NTSC version but the music is faster!

Here's a comparison of both versions of SMB running on an emulator, but I have the original on a cart at home (it's the 3-in-1 cartridge with Tetris and World Cup) and I can confirm the PAL version's music is too fast.

Oh, and about Mega Man 3: Usually, whenever Proto Man arrives in the game, you hear a short 5-notes melody (see here). But in the European version, the song goes on longer and plays about 8 notes before cutting off abruptly (skip to 0:40 in this video to hear for yourself). This is of course because the timing was not adjusted for the slower PAL version.

Kikujiro

stop being a cry baby

no big deal

*Looks at post history*
You Nintendo fanboys don't need to defend your corporation every time you know? You clearly don't know shit about the issue for calling it a no big deal. But you probably won't come again to post like your friend before.

People unable to make out the difference of 50Hz vs 60Hz games, or actually prefer the games running at 50Hz blows my mind.

I'm European, played all games at 50Hz during my childhood, and having tried the 60Hz versions of these games is like night vs day. There is huge difference between them, its almost like playing a game at half of the frame rate sometimes.

Black borders and a 17% reduction of speed, people who can't notice how big the difference is should go to a doctor to get their eyes checked.

Hasney

It's getting a bit annoying now. I've got Balloon Fight and I'll probably get the rest of the 30p games hoping they'll get patched (and because they're 30p, can't really complain too hard).

But no way will I get the full-priced ones at this rate. Nintendo seem to be listening as of late, I hope this is the case here since even us early adopters are banging on about it on Miiverse.

F-Zero not running at 60Hz will be a crying shame.

Jubern

I'm French and remember learning about the horrors of 50hz vs 60hz more than ten years ago. The problem was already there for a long time by then and I can't fucking believe we still have to deal with that legacy in 2013...

PS2 era was probably the worst for me, as it was the gen I jumped the most between PAL and NTSC releases, sometime playing both versions of a same game (games like FFX or KH, ugh...)
I remember something pretty funny happening with the Digital Devil Saga duology: first game was released in unoptimized 50hz only, while DDS2 had a PAL/NTSC selector on bootup. Upon playing DDS 2, I realized how wrong DDS1 PAL release was and was never able to go back to it.

mclem

Regarding the "unfeasible code changes" - the reason they were unfeasible in the past was not for a technical reason but due to the fact that they did not have the infrastructure in place to do it right. The easiest method was to plan for both rates at the start of development, but also it was quite possible to adjust the timestep to make - effectively - more time elapse in gametime per frame. That said, sprites are a difficulty; with polygons it's completely trivial to find the interpolated versions whereas sprites are effectively a series of discrete images of the object at a given time interval.

Ikaruga on Gamecube had a reasonable solution to that issue; it simply omitted every sixth frame. Noticeable if you're looking for it, not quite perfect, but much more acceptable.

Given that DKC was made up of sprites that were 2D renders of 3D models, I wonder if Rare went to the extent of making a different set of renders with a different timestep for the PAL versions.

All that said, I still struggle to see any technical issues with offering us the US versions as a choice. Possibly some business ones, though.

Lynd7

I hope this issue keeps on getting pushed until something is done about it. This would be similar to releasing a pan and scan movie on blu ray. Idiotic.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I forgot about early PS2 being bad. I bought one later on after the GameCube was dying a slow death and bought Devil May Cry because I heard it was meant to be fun.

Good Gracious Gravy is it slow. Anyone familiar with how it's meant to look just watch this for 50Hz slowness.

freddy

Banned
The whole point of Virtual Console is to be as faithful as possible to the actual releases. For better or worse.

If the original releases were gimped because of a technological hurdle that was there and is no longer present for the majority then it's a dumb decision. They need to be told it's dumb. They have been responding well lately to it.

Hasney

Given that DKC was made up of sprites that were 2D renders of 3D models, I wonder if Rare went to the extent of making a different set of renders with a different timestep for the PAL versions.

I'd love to know the answer to this. Not sure if they just slowed the game engine down for the 60Hz market after making the game for 50Hz being a British developer. Can't see them releasing an inferior port to bigger markets, mind you.

jwhit28

If the original releases were gimped because of a technological hurdle that was there and is no longer present for the majority then it's a dumb decision. They need to be told it's dumb. They have been responding well lately to it.

I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying that is the business decision behind it. They want some one in PAL regions to experience Super Mario World just like they stuck a PAL SMW cart into a PAL SNES.

I'd love to know the answer to this. Not sure if they just slowed the game engine down for the 60Hz market after making the game for 50Hz being a British developer. Can't see them releasing an inferior port to bigger markets, mind you.

I think it's based on how the timing is done. When I was at Codemasters we never supported PAL60 because we didn't need to, the games ran exactly the same. It was fully optimised for PAL. Some games are not; PGR1 is one of them, where it is literally impossible to get Platinum awards on some tracks at PAL50hz because of the timer. Also, Rallisport Challenge 2 at 50hz was FUCKED, timings were way out as the game clock was based on the refresh rate which is the wrong way of doing it.

mclem

I can't speak directly for Rare, but I have done international development in Europe, and it was standard practice for us to develop with 60hz in mind first - in general, that is what the pub wanted to see. We just also always coded with the alternate timestep in mind from the outset.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying that is the business decision behind it. They want some one in PAL regions to experience Super Mario World just like they stuck a PAL SMW cart into a PAL SNES.
And that is why I'll stick with my PAL cartridge. If they finally offer a better product (60Hz) I may be willing to buy.

Sendou

Considering that Nintendo never does anything for this and things will go down like they did on Wii. Will every game suffer from this except those with no previous PAL release and GBA games?

Keasar

A friend just booted up Mega Man 2 on the Wii and holy crap, that game is WAY slower than I see on videos.

Also, I remember Iwata mentioning something about the Wii U virtual console, transferring games over from the Wii to the Wii U and pay a minimal fee for a upgraded version or something. Maybe with a little hope, getting them upgraded to 60hz could be part of the package.

mclem

GBA is a good point; the system runs at approximately 60hz so should be adequate on NTSC Wii U's but on PAL they'll have to bite the bullet and permit 60hz downloads... or do the Mega Drive import slowdown thing. The former is true to the original, the latter consistent with their other practices.

jwhit28

GBA is a good point; the system runs at approximately 60hz so should be adequate on NTSC Wii U's but on PAL they'll have to bite the bullet and permit 60hz downloads... or do the Mega Drive import slowdown thing. The former is true to the original, the latter consistent with their other practices.

The game will be faithful to whatever way it came out on the GBA in that territory.

1-D_FTW

*Looks at post history*
You Nintendo fanboys don't need to defend your corporation every time you know? You clearly don't know shit about the issue for calling it a no big deal. But you probably won't come again to post like your friend before.

Black borders and a 17% reduction of speed, people who can't notice how big the difference is should go to a doctor to get their eyes checked.

Beyond eyes, the brain should be sending off fireworks anytime there's a counter on screen. 1 second = significantly longer is a total mindfuck.

EDIT: It also makes perfect sense why Sony was considered a savior and Europe Playstation country. This alone made them vastly superior to the competition. Assuming they corrected this issue, which I was under the assumption they somehow did.

netBuff

This is pure conjecture - and rather unlikely, considering the 3DS Virtual Console.

But their motives don't matter anyway: We want proper 60Hz games.

jwhit28

This is pure conjecture

Then why not just use one do it all emulator for every game? I would love for the option to download Japanese versions of VC games in the US for racing, but the reason VC games are accepted for racing and speedrunning is because Nintendo does everything possible to make the VC versions as faithful to the original release as possible. Framerate drops, graphical glitches, timing, it is all indistinguishable from the actual releases.

also

Banned
Then why not just use one do it all emulator for every game? I would love for the option to download Japanese versions of VC games in the US for racing, but the reason VC games are accepted for racing and speedrunning is because Nintendo does everything possible to make the VC versions as faithful to the original release as possible. Framerate drops, graphical glitches, timing, it is all indistinguishable from the actual releases.
Why don't PAL 3DS VC games run at 50Hz if they want us to re-experience our gimped childhood?

Top Bottom