• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, about the Wii U 50hz VC...

Joqu

Blegh. I totally was expecting this but I was hoping they wouldn't do this for Super Metroid. I mean, it's such a classic. Worst part is that I'll still be buying it. 30 cent is a steal. >>

Well, I guess that's definitely the stance they are taking from now on :(

What other first party games featured translations? ALTTP?

Unfortunately, yeah.

Jockel

Are there any newly produced SNES systems with a switch built in or special carts with a 50->60hz converter built in? I'd love to play my SNES collection the way they're supposed to play.

Edit: I'm dumb, I have a PAL SNES so it'd obviously have to be modded to output 60hz :|

It's a really simple mod, though.
Ask a friend that's handy with a soldering iron.
I got a neighbour that did it for me, even rewired it to the Channel Selector switch on the back side, so it wouldn't ruin the consoles aesthetics.
Do the region free mod while you're at it, ideally with a cloneCIC.

Rich!

Blegh. I totally was expecting this but I was hoping they wouldn't do this for Super Metroid. I mean, it's such a classic. Worst part is that I'll still be buying it. 30 cent is a steal.

And this is why Nintendo are able to screw us over time and time again.

beje

Banned
I know. Don't kill me guys. :(

I don't mean to make you feel bad but that kind of attitude is the one that has brought us to the current gaming scene of season passes, butchered games, bullshit DLCs and paying for P2P online.

D.Lo

Just to clarify the Super Metroid situation:
Upon starting the European version, you have to choose either German or French subtitles. The whole game is still completely in English, but short subtitles are added in the intro and for the self-destruct emergency messages.

The menus and explanations you see whenever you pick up a new item, are all in English only.

What's worse though (and what bothered me even back then), is that the subtitles feel like the "cliffnotes" version (at least the German ones, can't judge the French ones). I guess they had to shorten them because of space limitations, but just to show you two examples from the intro:

As you can see, the translations are really bad, even confusing, and I always wondered why Nintendo translated it at all. The story could have been properly explained in the manual, and even without it, you don't even need to understand it to play the game. It's not a visual novel or RPG.

So what I'm saying is: We are getting the inferior 50 Hz version just so we can get the inferior translation. I'm at a loss for words here.
Yep it's super annoying. I feel like it ruins an otherwise perfect game.

Did they really need a translation for 'Planet Zebes' to 'Planète Zebes'?

Petty but hey.

I have a modded super famicom with a 50/60hz mod installed.

PAL games can run in 60hz with no issues whatsoever, as long as they haven't been optimized. For example, after flicking the switch during gameplay, my PAL Super Metroid cart is the same speed and full screen as the NTSC one. Its fucking superb.

However, games with layer 2 effects (super Mario world in various levels/overworld, ALTTP with the lamp) glitch out using the mod.
I recalled some issues with Super Metroid, I used a modded PAL system, but I haven't done it in a long long time, bought an NTSCJ copy in like 96. Generally 1st and 2nd party games were optimised and therefore have timing issues when sped up.

I did the mod with my old PAL SNES too. Same process, you just don't get the full RGB output that the SFC offers.
No, you get RGB on PAL systems fine.

Joqu

I don't mean to make you feel bad but that kind of attitude is the one that has brought us to the current gaming scene of season passes, butchered games, bullshit DLCs and paying for P2P online.

Well I generally don't have much issues with DLC, but let's not get into that here. And I wouldn't be buying this for the full price, if that's something.

also

Banned
Show some restraint people. Sure, 30p or 0.3€ may seem like a sweet deal now, but by supporting Nintendo's idiotic practice, you are dooming us to 50Hz versions and you will come to regret it when the promotion ends but the 50Hz versions stay.

It will be interesting to see how they will handle the Contra games..

We got Super C on 3DS so it's probably safe to say goodbye to Probotector.

Neff

If you're in Europe or Australia, and you're disillusioned by 50hz, don't buy it.

While it's easy to say that boycott actions like this rarely sway corporate mentality, you certainly will not be helping by adding that 30c pro-50hz vote.

NOE really is in one ear out the other. "oh people complaining about 50Hz...let's give them 60Hz...wait Kirby is in German, better keep it 50Hz...oh they're complaining about 50Hz...WiiU VC launch is 60Hz...but Super Metroid is also in German, better keep it 50Hz..."

If their main reasoning for putting out the 50hz PAL dumps is because they are localized, wouldn't a better angle be for people in countries affected by the localization telling NoE they don't care about losing the localization?

So less "We don't want 50hz!!!", more "We don't care about localization if it affects our games negatively". Unless that's the approach taken?
Maybe it should be instead giving the countries that have no use for the localisation the proper product and not the defective version.

That way NOE keep their translations of the 90s safe while giving people the choice to play it properly. Yes its a bit unfair to France and Germany who have to make a Mii/NNID for UK or Australia (and then get the appropriate funds) but its the easiest solution.

I don't have a Wii U and Miiverse, I do think I have Satoru Shibita's e-mail though...but given how obvious it was (it doesn't bounce like some of the ex-employees...I last tarried it 5 years ago though), I guess it just ends up in trash as its not a trusted sender.

Rich!

Uh

Looks like we're getting the American version of Kirby Super Star rather than the 50hz Fun Pak.

Obviously that's good, but im at a complete loss for why they gave us 50hz metroid and 60hz Kirby. Its like they're throwing darts at a fucking list or drawing results out of a hat.

What the hell. Kirby Super Star was fully localised for Europe as Fun Pak, and has tonnes of text...so the translation excuse doesn't fly here!

Lets fucking hope they continue with 60hz for every game from now on. Or at least release metroid as it when its full price, then I will actually buy it.

NotLiquid

Uh

Looks like we're getting the American version of Kirby Super Star rather than the 50hz Fun Pak.

Obviously that's good, but im at a complete loss for why they gave us 50hz metroid and 60hz Kirby. Its like they're throwing darts at a fucking list or drawing results out of a hat.

What the hell. Kirby Super Star was fully localised for Europe as Fun Pak, and has tonnes of text...so the translation excuse doesn't fly here!

Lets fucking hope they continue with 60hz for every game from now on. Or at least release metroid as it when its full price, then I will actually buy it.

Kinda weird seeing how Kirby is the most localized franchise Nintendo has in terms of being faithful with European language.

No worries about Dream Land 3 being 50hz though, that never came out in Europe.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Doesn't Fun Pak have a localisation error in English and refers the the gamepad as a grey thing with purple buttons.

Managed to resist buying Kirby last minute. Almost went weak, but a stance isn't a stance if one can't hold their stance.

Will suck if they offer a similar discount in Europe as they did in Japan for the Kirby games.

Koren

Part of the problem.
I kinda agree, but the fact is that it's a choice between a not-perfect Metroid or no Metroid at all. While I find it's a pity to see a poorly optimized Super Metroid, it's nowhere near unplayable, and even if the game is ready to be played near my SNES, which is plugged in a CRT upstairs, I enjoyed playing it on the U Pad. Especially since I think it has the best controls since the original release.

Besides, it can become a vicious cycle : people don't buy PAL VC, Nintendo care less for the PAL market, and give us more and more poorly designed ports.

I think in this age that still buying the game if you enjoy it, and clearly sending messages to Nintendo that this kind of 50Hz is not the way to go (is there Miiverse posts about this?) is a better strategy. Anyway, people aware of the problem are in the minority, so even if they don't buy such games, the sales wouldn't plummet...

I kinda had the opposite strategy: buying nearly systematically the Hanabi games on Wii, because I liked the fact that they were trying to push NTSC games in Europe that never saw retail at that time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The discount was in the press release. Both games (we're not getting Kirby's Dreamland 3 yet) for €5.60 each if you own Kirby's Adventure.
:(

Well Dreamland 3 was the one I want. I already own Fun Pak and Dreamcourse for the SNES (in 50HZ glory!)

NotLiquid

I think in this age that still buying the game if you enjoy it, and clearly sending messages to Nintendo that this kind of 50Hz is not the way to go (is there Miiverse posts about this?) is a better strategy. Anyway, people aware of the problem are in the minority, so even if they don't buy such games, the sales wouldn't plummet..

I agree. While I don't support 50hz, I do support the practices under which the Famicom Campaign has discounts, and with the Miiverse platform and Nintendo being more connected than ever, its good to be able to support something you like while still being able to voice your opinion. Miiverse has generally stabilized a deal of consumer relations for Nintendo and I hope it continues.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well I didn't support the Famicom discounts by buying FZero and PunchOut, the two 60Hz titles.

Balloon Fight is in 60Hz on the 3DS so I stuck with that and I may consider by Kirby 3D on the 3DS instead.

Ein Bear

My only hope is that, since every 50hz game has been part of the 30p anniversary promotion and were announced months ago, the 50hz games were 'locked in' for release before the 60hz fuss kicked off. It's still stupid that they released them, but the fact that 50hz Balloon Fight and Kirby aren't available anymore has me hoping that they might release 60hz versions of everything going forward.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My only hope is that, since every 50hz game has been part of the 30p anniversary promotion and were announced months ago, the 50hz games were 'locked in' for release before the 60hz fuss kicked off. It's still stupid that they released them, but the fact that 50hz Balloon Fight and Kirby aren't available anymore has me hoping that they might release 60hz versions of everything going forward.
Kirby isn't? Pretty sure I saw it pop up for full price at around 11pm (BST) on the final day. (Bit naughty of NOE to finish the promotion an hour early)

Arkain

I just discovered this last night after buying FF7 on PSN (UK) and playing it on Vita. I had previously... acquired a copy that ran on my old PSP that happened to be an NTSC version, and even though I'd barely played that, the difference was immediately obvious - I thought the Vita was struggling with the framerate for some reason. Then I ran the intros side by side, and not only was the framerate worse, but the whole game ran marginally slower.

Then I looked it up and found out what a huge and well-documented issue this is.

I won't be buying another PSX game off PSN, that's for sure.

Am I glad that I read this, I was just about to buy FFIX on my EU Vita.

Why was there never any uproar about this? (maybe I missed it)

Ein Bear

Kirby isn't? Pretty sure I saw it pop up for full price at around 11pm (BST) on the final day. (Bit naughty of NOE to finish the promotion an hour early)

Yup, 50Hz Kirby is available for full price.

Oh my mistake, I thought they'd taken it down after the promotion ended. Damn, I was hoping they'd put it up at 60hz later and we'd be able to update.

Rich!

For the people that have the 50hz optimized Super Metroid, how well does it run?

- Every 5th frame is repeated to get 60fps which creates a judder. If you hit that unlucky frame when you press a button, it won't be recognised.

- Wrecked Ship music is fucked to all hell.

- Samus moves at 60hz speed. Everything else is slower.

Its bullshit. Giving us a crippled version of a classic game purely because of a few short sentences of french/german text in the intro/end.

Koren

Its bullshit. Giving us a crippled version of a classic game purely because of a few short sentences of french/german text in the intro/end.
Pretty bad ones, too...

- Every 5th frame is repeated to get 60fps which creates a judder. If you hit that unlucky frame when you press a button, it won't be recognised.
Really? I reach Maridia, and I haven't been bothered by buttons not responding, and definitively not as frequently as 1/6th of the time. Care to elaborate how and when that happens?

Jucksalbe

Banned
If you hit that unlucky frame when you press a button, it won't be recognised.

I don't think that's what happens. I've played this version for over 8 hours now and didn't notice any problems like that. It'll probably just react to your button press one frame later than normal in that instance.

Rich!

I don't think that's what happens. I've played this version for over 8 hours now and didn't notice any problems like that. It'll probably just react to your button press one frame later than normal in that instance.

Yeah, that's what I mean. For me, its an absolute deal breaker.

D.Lo

- Wrecked Ship music is fucked to all hell.

- Samus moves at 60hz speed. Everything else is slower.

I hate this 50Hz crap and I especially hate shitty German forced in the game, but this is complete nonsense.

It will run perfectly smoothly, judder is from converting between MUCH lower and closer framerates like 24fps to 29.97fps (the progressive framerate of NTSC). It was caused by the way they blended frames with interlacing. The 'classic' PAL issue in the past was because converting from 23.976fps (film) to 29.97fps (NTSC) and THEN to 25fps (PAL) caused a skip ever 12th frame or so.

The Wii U runs at 60fps output, plenty of frames to perfectly reproduce smooth 25fps motion as far as a human eye can tell.

So much misinformation rolls around regarding 50Hz issues, both historically and recently.

Rich!

I hate this 50Hz crap and I especially hate shitty German forced in the game, but this is complete nonsense.

It will run perfectly smoothly, judder is from converting between MUCH lower and closer framerates like 24fps to 29.97fps (the progressive framerate of NTSC). It was caused by the way they blended frames with interlacing. The 'classic' PAL issue in the past was because converting from 23.976fps (film) to 29.97fps (NTSC) and THEN to 25fps (PAL) caused a skip ever 12th frame or so.

The Wii U runs at 60fps output, plenty of frames to perfectly reproduce smooth 25fps motion as far as a human eye can tell.

So much misinformation rolls around regarding 50Hz issues, both historically and recently.

What you're saying may explain the framerate, however it does NOT explain the fact that Nintendo's optimisation has made Samus move at the NTSC rate whereas everything else moves at the slower PAL rate. This is undebateable, just like the horrendously broken wrecked ship music. There's no explaining that.

Also, try fitting 25 into 60. Go on. Whatever happens, there is going to either be slowdown or stutter unless the game is properly coded for 50hz, like the DKC series. The hackjob that Super Metroid got is not good enough.

Neff

It will run perfectly smoothly

Well, it doesn't.

If you press the button very, very fast, in certain circumstances, nothing will happen. The NTSC version (or even the PAL cartridge version) never had this problem to my knowledge.

Sneds

Has there been any update on this? I'm assuming not. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of which VC games in Europe are 60hz and which are 50 or are they all 50?

Jucksalbe

Banned
Has there been any update on this? I'm assuming not. Does anyone have a comprehensive list of which VC games in Europe are 60hz and which are 50 or are they all 50?

The description on the eShop page always says it at the very bottom. Generally most WiiU VC games are 60Hz, the only exceptions (from the top of my head) are: Balloon Fight, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Harvest Moon and A Link to the Past.

The description on the eShop page always says it at the very bottom.
The words you are looking for at the end of the description are "This is the European version of the game". When those words appear its 50Hz.

Balloon Fight is weird. What has happened is the emulator got sped up to 60Hz speeds...something about NES causes the music to go all high pitched though. I'd imagine there was some sort of license thing (have to ask NCL or NOA for non-EU version) or maybe some savestate bugs regarding swapping the ROM.

The words you are looking for at the end of the description are "This is the European version of the game". When those words appear its 50Hz.

Balloon Fight is weird. What has happened is the emulator got sped up to 60Hz speeds...something about NES causes the music to go all high pitched though. I'd imagine there was some sort of license thing (have to ask NCL or NOA for non-EU version) or maybe some savestate bugs regarding swapping the ROM.

Baloon Fight indeed hasn't stutter and 'missed input' problem that ruin Super Metroid.
Seems like a legit 60Hz release to me. Can't comment on sound because I was a pal gamer back then.

Top Bottom