• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...did the Nintendo 64 just not do 2D well or did devs not want 2D games on it?

petran79

Banned
People lost their minds during this time. I remember loving sprite work, but people saw 2D as cheap, low budget, and old. Some even had the audacity to say it took no skill to do sprite work.

I used to be so heated about it back then. I remember Street Fighter III: New Generation releasing in 1997 and my friends shit on it because it was a 2D sprite based fighting game.

Such a dark time for video games if you loved sprite work and or 2D gameplay.

I dont think thats true. On PC emulators of 2d arcade games were the main focus back then and were very popular.
Unfortunately the PS1/N64 generation could not connect with arcade games the way the previous gen did.

daTRUballin

Well,

Not sure how so many people are missing this.

I'm sure Nintendo had some level of restrictions for 2d games as well, but I totally remember reading about Sony being very strict with 2d games back then. So I just wanted to point that out.

I dont think thats true. On PC emulators of 2d arcade games were the main focus back then and were very popular.
Unfortunately the PS1/N64 generation could not connect with arcade games the way the previous gen did.

PC games and gamers, and console games and gamers, were very different markets then. Yes, on the PC side people were much less anti-2d, though I'm not sure why you say "emulators of 2d arcade games were the main focus", emulation has never been any kind of "main focus" of PC gamers. There were many major, popular 2d games though, including lots of strategy games (Starcraft, etc.), building sims (SimCity, The Sims, and such), RPGs (Baldur's Gate and such), adventure games, and more. Strategy and building-simulation games only really started going 3d in the '00s, for example. There were plenty of popular 3d PC games too, first among them FPSes, but 2d was hardly some unpopular archaic thing.

The same goes for handheld consoles of course. However, TV console audiences absolutely were strongly biased against 2d games. As for arcades, they were dying out in the West in the later '90s, they didn't matter as much anymore, and many top arcade games were 3d anyway.

if only it had the SNES dpad... or the gameboy dpad... or the NES dpad... the dpad was a fucking abomination. Did it get better with use? Mine were rarely used and whenever I did use them they rock hard and imprecise.
The N64 d-pad is large and plenty precise! It is a bit stiff, that is true, but that's not bad, just different from the often super-soft SNES d-pad... and yes, some of that is probably just that N64 d-pads get used a lot less. The N64 d-pad is very good.

illadelph

ktxyDnV.gif
ktxyDnV.gif
ktxyDnV.gif
ktxyDnV.gif
ktxyDnV.gif

if your game wasn't 3D, it got SLAMMED for it

2D was SHAMEFUL

yeah, since 3D was new, 2D was seen as something old, outdated, and inferior as opposed to a design decision.

Metfanant

Someone's been feeding you BS.

Or why would they put out 2D games on N64 themselves.

Mischief Makers (1997), the prime 2D game on the N64 was published by Nintendo, FYI.

Besides, Nintendo is not the company doing concept approvals for their platforms.

see above :D

How does that explain Mischief Makers, though? But then again the game had a rotoscoped 3D feel to it.

Throwing out a single example of a Nintendo published 2d game is hardly evidence to prove Nintendo Neo wasn't pushing developers hard for 3d games

charsace

PC and console were a separate market before the first xbox. Still a lot of people that don't respect PC devs like they do console devs.

qko

Hmmmm, I see some people use Street Fighter as an example of staying faithful to 2d time... But I think too many people forget even Capcom or someone out there tried to push the abomination called Street Fighter EX

Momentary

Banned

.... They were the main focus of people fiending for it. Niche popularity does not equal mass popularity. The masses did not do that. If they did there wouldn't have been such a drought. I remember clear as day most people saying 2D was dead. I felt back when I was a teenager closer around to 96 or 97, the polygonal craze took over and you saw a mass decline in sprite based and or 2D offerings.

The only 2D games I can think off the top of my head is Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Killer Instinct and Mischief Makers and none of them are hand drawn sprites. So did the Nintendo 64 have problems with sprite based games or did developers just op out from using it cause of the 3D capabilities?

Came to post this masterpiece.

rjc571

Banned
You managed to mention just about every 2D game of note out of Playstation/N64 libraries that were well over 1000 games. 3D was the thing from 1994 onward and 2D didn't get much traction again until (arguably) the Gameboy Advance released in 2001.

Not even close. Were you unaware that the following PS1 games exist?

Megaman 8
Megaman X4/5/6
Castlevania Chronicles
Klonoa
Alundra
Suikoden
Suikoden 2
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia
Star Ocean 2
Wild Arms
Lunar
Lunar 2
Legend of Mana
Saga Frontier
Saga Frontier 2
Valkyrie Profile
Tomba
Street Fighter Alpha series
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
Strider 2
Adventures of Little Ralph
Gunner's Heaven
Silhouette Mirage
Gradius Gaiden
Donpachi
Dodonpachi
Harmul Park
Adventures of Lomax
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Oddworld: Abe's Exodus
The Neverhood
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
Umihara Kawase Shun
Mr. Driller
...and on and on and on

dcx4610

At least on PCs back then, you needed a dedicated/separate 2D and 3D card. It wasn't until the Voodoo 3 that combined them into one card that worked decently well.

I'm sure someone can prove me wrong but I think proper 2D was probably difficult to pull off on the N64 since it was catered to 3D.

mortal kombat trilogy looked dope. I think it did 2d well

I thought it was a bit of a mixed bag when compared to the PS1 and Saturn ports. Mortal Kombat Trilogy was a launch window game in North America, and was the third game to get released in NA after Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. The cartridge size is only 12MB (96megs) and because of that suffered from missing content and weak audio. If the cartridge size wasn't an issue, the game could've been solid. Killer Instinct Gold was released two months after Mortal Kombat Trilogy and was also limited to a 12MB cartridge as well.

Pretty sure it was simply due to the mindshare of 3D polygonal graphics. Nintendo themselves touted the 2D capabilities of the system claiming that there were virtually no limitations for 2D games. Nobody* cared.

*Virtually

KC-Slater

Nintendo was discouraging developers from making 2D games on the N64. Since the game cartridges had to be manufactured by Nintendo at the time, they could dick publishers around, and could limit/prohibit their production numbers and release windows. Ultimately most N64 developers typically decided to playball with Nintendo and develop 3D games (for business reasons most likely), or take their games to another platform.

For what it's worth, 3D was new and exciting at the time, and I imagine many developers were excited by the idea of creating 3D games, but Nintendo's policies further alienated them from 3rd-party devs.

tronic307

It's a shame there weren't more 2D N64 games seeing as how the few that were released seemed to be on par with PS1/Saturn 2D games. I guess 2D games on cartridge were viewed as too risky back then. I stuck with the Saturn mostly because of this.

Subaru

I always wanted to know if the Nintendo 64 could run Neo Geo, CPS2 and CPS3 games.
It would be great additions to the N64 library (and with no loading times!)

Bastables

Could be worse... Sony activately sabotaged 2D games in the West on PS2... RIP Working Designs...

That Nippon Ich best years were the PS2 ones, one should reexamine Victor Ireland/Working Design's fractious history with all it's partners.

With all the weird personal cat fights Ireland seemed to generate it might be truer to see Working Design sabotaging 2d RPG's in the US.
Especially with the existence of things like; Viewtiful Joe, Nippon Ichi games, Gradius V, KOF, Guilty gear, various capcom and SNK fighters, and Vanillawere with Grim Grimore and Odin Sphere, on the PS2 in the US.

Zee-Row

Banned
From everything I remember back in the day Nintendo never had an anti-2D policy. Developers just didn't bother. I strongly believe N64 could produce the best versions of Capcom fighters if they had tried. It always boggles my mind that N64 never got X-Men vs Street Fighter.

From everything I remember back in the day Nintendo never had an anti-2D policy. Developers just didn't bother. I strongly believe N64 could produce the best versions of Capcom fighters if they had tried. It always boggles my mind that N64 never got X-Men vs Street Fighter.

The size of the carts to house games like that would have been prohibitively expensive for publishers I think.

petran79

Banned
PC games and gamers, and console games and gamers, were very different markets then. Yes, on the PC side people were much less anti-2d, though I'm not sure why you say "emulators of 2d arcade games were the main focus", emulation has never been any kind of "main focus" of PC gamers. There were many major, popular 2d games though, including lots of strategy games (Starcraft, etc.), building sims (SimCity, The Sims, and such), RPGs (Baldur's Gate and such), adventure games, and more. Strategy and building-simulation games only really started going 3d in the '00s, for example. There were plenty of popular 3d PC games too, first among them FPSes, but 2d was hardly some unpopular archaic thing.

The same goes for handheld consoles of course. However, TV console audiences absolutely were strongly biased against 2d games. As for arcades, they were dying out in the West in the later '90s, they didn't matter as much anymore, and many top arcade games were 3d anyway.

There were the main focus if you had a weak PC not able to run the latest games, something rather common back then. I mean completely not be able to run a game, not just play on 15-20 fps.
There was no way you were a PC player and had not heard about or tried emulation. Even players with high end PCs and the latest 3D games usually had a spare folder with the popular emulators. They were free anyway. I even remember a PC game magazine of that era that had a dedicated article to emulation and included some on their CD-ROM, minus the ROMs of course.
Thats how I got to know games like Street Fighter EX existed. Saw it in the late 90s-early 2000 on a friends very good PC that had a Voodo brand SVGA card. My PC was far too weak to run Zinc, but sufficed for MAME, Neo Geo and Raine emulators

.... They were the main focus of people fiending for it. Niche popularity does not equal mass popularity. The masses did not do that. If they did there wouldn't have been such a drought. I remember clear as day most people saying 2D was dead. I felt back when I was a teenager closer around to 96 or 97, the polygonal craze took over and you saw a mass decline in sprite based and or 2D offerings.

Emulation at that time was also a counter-measure against all that focus on 3D. No major company backed that project. The opposite. They even tried to shut them down. There were just individual developers and groups, most of them doing it on their spare time. But it was evident that there was a market for the older games. The advantage you had on PC as opposed to consoles at that time, was that there was more room left to explore an alternative way. While on consoles you were forced to go with the latest trends.

Another reason was that arcade games focused also on 3D and smaller arcade malls in your neighborhood with 2D games became less and less common. You had to go further away to large malls that were able to host all those huge 3D game cabs. I remember one. On the basement it had the large cabs with 3D games (MK4, HOTD, Lost World, Time Crisis, Mace Dark Age, Gauntlet Legends etc). The upper floor was reserved for the few 2D games that continued to be released after the mid-90s. It had games like Puzzle Bubble 4 and Rampage World Tour. Very few players would go up there. Mall ended up closing in early 2000. It was a surprise and a blow to me

rjc571

Banned
A number of these are 3D. Klonoa, Star Ocean 2, Saga Frontier, Wild Arms ...

Klonoa I could see discounting but the RPGs I listed were 100% 2D outside of battle. If you want to discount every game that uses a single fully 3D polygon anywhere then you're missing the point. The games I listed all managed to exist despite using sprite based 2D graphics for the bulk of gameplay.

Sakujou

Banned
2d games were doable, but no one bought them. street fighter alpha came out and no one gave a fuck. i remember people standing in stores checking street fighter alpha and street fighter EX and everyone said, tekken2 is dominating, why play a franchise from the last generation.

no one wanted to play 2d, because 3d was the thing. it doesnt matter of the controls or the graphics not apprehendable=it looks better than 2d.

in the end, the psx/n64 days are laughable. rarely did some of those old 3d games age well. most of them do look like garbage these days.

There were the main focus if you had a weak PC not able to run the latest games, something rather common back then. I mean completely not be able to run a game, not just play on 15-20 fps.
There was no way you were a PC player and had not heard about or tried emulation.
Everyone's experience is different. With all of the 2d PC games out there during the 5th-gen era, there would have been no need to go to emulation if your computer was older; you could just play some of the many 2d PC games.

Myself, I didn't own any consoles other than handhelds until late 1999 but we did have PCs, and while I had heard of emulation (that first N64 emulator (UltraHLE) is the first one I remember really paying attention to, though I never did try it), it wasn't until the '00s that I actually used any emulators. Whether our computers were newer or aging, which of course changes over time, I played computer games, not emulated old arcade games. I've still got my big-box PC game collection. :)

Part of why is because I wanted to play legit games, not illegal downloads, but even for people who did want to download games, remember, downloading things was nontrivial for a lot of people in the '90s; dialup is slow and often drops your connection... it was some time after I got POD before I could finally download that 30+MB patch that makes the OEM version into the retail one, for example.

Emulation at that time was also a counter-measure against all that focus on 3D.
Huh? As I said, many popular PC games of the late '90s to early '00s were 2d games. Starcraft is one of the most popular games ever regardless of its 2d graphics, and the first two Diablo games, Civilization III and below, The Sims 1, SimCity3000, C&C: Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2, etc etc... there were a lot of very popular 2d games in the later '90s to early '00s.

Now, over time more and more games and genres slowly did go 3d, and graphics have always mattered a lot on the PC so I'm sure there was a 3d bias. There certainly was a "dated graphics" bias, for either 2d or 3d, no question. But for an anti-2d bias in particular, I really think that it wasn't as strong as the 2d-hating stereotype you see from the N64 and Playstation. I do not remember Diablo 2 or Red Alert 2 being criticized too harshly for their 2d graphics in 2000 when they released, for example. And additionally, in genres like strategy games, while 3d had an appeal, it also led to problems, particularly in game cameras. For example, it took years before I accepted the idea of a decent polygonal 3d RTS, my favorite genre at the time! I disliked most of the polygonal RTSes I played in the '90s, either because of bad 3d cameras (moving 3d cameras in RTSes does not work well, I have always thought) or other issues. It was only with Conquest: Frontier Wars in 2001 that I finally found one that was great, and it solved the problem by sticking to a classic overhead camera, and only using the polygons for the graphics. Warcraft 3 would do the same, after Blizzard tried but thankfully abandoned the idea of a more mobile 3d camera.

So yeah, personally, I thought 3d was pretty cool, but never hated 2d either.

No major company backed that project. The opposite. They even tried to shut them down. There were just individual developers and groups, most of them doing it on their spare time. But it was evident that there was a market for the older games. The advantage you had on PC as opposed to consoles at that time, was that there was more room left to explore an alternative way. While on consoles you were forced to go with the latest trends.
Well, computers are open platforms, so anyone can make whatever they want for them. That is their great strength.

Klonoa I could see discounting but the RPGs I listed were 100% 2D outside of battle. If you want to discount every game that uses a single fully 3D polygon anywhere then you're missing the point. The games I listed all managed to exist despite using sprite based 2D graphics for the bulk of gameplay.

Wild Arms had full 3D battles. I think that should count for something. Star Ocean and SaGa Frontier had 2D sprites moving on a 3D plane applied to a prerendered backdrop. They were still 3D games, just like Resident Evil or Final Fantasy that also used prerendered backdrops (but also used 3D models).

butman

Reading the first pages with a lot of "3D was the bomb and stuff" but what about with all these amazing 2D Arcade Ports and 2D Platforms that PSX and Saturn had and blew people minds?

Symphony of The Night
Marvel vs Capcom
Marvel Superheroes
Vampire Savior
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Guardian Heroes
Real Bout 2
KOF 94 to 98
Megaman X4 to X6
Alber Odyssey
Magic Knight RayEarth

and so on...

Why N64 didn't had ANY?
- It was because the cartdrige capacity was too small for all these tracks?
- It was, like always, Nintendo doesn't give a f*ck about multiplatforms and live in an alternate universe?

Andyliini

I can't really say about many 2D-games back then, I only heard most of them were not selling very well.

I heard Sony America outright refused to license Megaman X4 for PS1, for they wanted only 3D-games. They only agreed when Capcom threatened to leave them without Resident Evil 2. No source for that on, though.

I also remember Symphony of the Night bombed commercially, especially in Europe. Maybe that's why Konami went full 3D on N64.

petran79

Banned
Everyone's experience is different. With all of the 2d PC games out there during the 5th-gen era, there would have been no need to go to emulation if your computer was older; you could just play some of the many 2d PC games.

Myself, I didn't own any consoles other than handhelds until late 1999 but we did have PCs, and while I had heard of emulation (that first N64 emulator (UltraHLE) is the first one I remember really paying attention to, though I never did try it), it wasn't until the '00s that I actually used any emulators. Whether our computers were newer or aging, which of course changes over time, I played computer games, not emulated old arcade games. I've still got my big-box PC game collection. :)

Part of why is because I wanted to play legit games, not illegal downloads, but even for people who did want to download games, remember, downloading things was nontrivial for a lot of people in the '90s; dialup is slow and often drops your connection... it was some time after I got POD before I could finally download that 30+MB patch that makes the OEM version into the retail one, for example.

You could also borrow the CD-ROMs of friends who had all the ROMs, like I did.

I was mostly interested in emulation because I had played most of those old arcade games, solo or co-op or wanted to see things that I missed. I had spent quite a lot of coins there. They even might have been bootlegs. So I did not regard it as stealing. Besides, most of the boards were either replaced or the mall had shut down. No luxury to process legalities! Some games werent so old. Eg you could play Samurai Shodown IV and Last Blade 2 (1997) and KOF97 in 1998. Neo Geo and CPS1 games, the latter through Callus95, were our most played games. There was also Nesticle but I had already sold my NES and had played to death all its games, so I was not interested.

Huh? As I said, many popular PC games of the late '90s to early '00s were 2d games. Starcraft is one of the most popular games ever regardless of its 2d graphics, and the first two Diablo games, Civilization III and below, The Sims 1, SimCity3000, C&C: Tiberian Sun and Red Alert 2, etc etc... there were a lot of very popular 2d games in the later '90s to early '00s.

Now, over time more and more games and genres slowly did go 3d, and graphics have always mattered a lot on the PC so I'm sure there was a 3d bias. There certainly was a "dated graphics" bias, for either 2d or 3d, no question. But for an anti-2d bias in particular, I really think that it wasn't as strong as the 2d-hating stereotype you see from the N64 and Playstation. I do not remember Diablo 2 or Red Alert 2 being criticized too harshly for their 2d graphics in 2000 when they released, for example. And additionally, in genres like strategy games, while 3d had an appeal, it also led to problems, particularly in game cameras. For example, it took years before I accepted the idea of a decent polygonal 3d RTS, my favorite genre at the time! I disliked most of the polygonal RTSes I played in the '90s, either because of bad 3d cameras (moving 3d cameras in RTSes does not work well, I have always thought) or other issues. It was only with Conquest: Frontier Wars in 2001 that I finally found one that was great, and it solved the problem by sticking to a classic overhead camera, and only using the polygons for the graphics. Warcraft 3 would do the same, after Blizzard tried but thankfully abandoned the idea of a more mobile 3d camera.

So yeah, personally, I thought 3d was pretty cool, but never hated 2d either.

Well, computers are open platforms, so anyone can make whatever they want for them. That is their great strength.

Indeed, isometric games like Diablo or Crusader were well received. Even todays popular multiplayer RPG games would adopt a camera resembling those old games, mimicking that isometric view. There due to the nature of the game, players accepted that it was not possible to switch to full 3D.
Ironically one of the most popular RPG games of the 80s (Gauntlet), failed to make an impression and popular transition to 3D. They even used the latest arcade hardware and had both N64 and Dreamcast ports. Should be enought to make it the game of choice. Yet they had average scores.

SkylineRKR

A lot of those 2d games were sold at a reduced price. Sony did allow them at first but they were sold for less. Especially in the latter part of its Life cycle.

Another N64 game that was well done and 2d was NBA Hangtime.

They absolutely did not. The laundry list of 2D games on the Playstation disproves this. Nintendo of America and Sega of America however did have anti-2D policies at the time.

Eh? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Konami threaten to Sony that Metal Gear Solid (Or was it some other highly anticipated game? Pretty sure it was MGS though.) would go to the Saturn if Sony blocked Symphony of the Night's localization?

Andyliini

Eh? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Konami threaten to Sony that Metal Gear Solid (Or was it some other highly anticipated game? Pretty sure it was MGS though.) would go to the Saturn if Sony blocked Symphony of the Night's localization?

I have heard the same story, but it was Capcom, who treatened Sony with Resident Evil 2, if Megaman X4 was cancelled for NA release, as I stated before. I have no idea if these stories are true, but it really looked like Sony was not fond of 2D games in late 90's.

Branduil

Honestly, it wasn't just that first 3D generation where 2D games were neglected. The resurgence of 2D games is a fairly recent phenomenon, happening mostly over the last decade, spurred by indie developers and the "retro gaming" movement. Before that, outside of specific circumstances(traditional fighting games, handhelds) 2D games were just seen as old-fashioned in an industry focused on ever-increasing graphical power.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sadly, the popular sentiment in America in that era was that 3D was the new hotness and 2D was old and dated. Look at Next Generation mag for the prevailing zeitgeist of the time, who would rip apart new 2D games any chance they could get (this is why, in spite of their interesting interviews, I never particularly cared for the magazine).

Of course, in hindsight, the 2D titles of that generation held up much much better.

Top Bottom