• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection is going to be a thing

Ashodin

An entire game based around Ultimate Tenkaichi's create-a-saiyan mode with RPG stats mixed in with fighting game principles would be fucking amazing.

Revven

This is like making a Madden collection.

If they cherry pick, it won't be.

If it's straight up B1, B2, and B3 (with no Inf. World content OR the greatest hits additions) then yeah. But if it's like

BT3 (based off the PS2 version maybe with added online since the Wii version had online?)
Inf. World + greatest hits alternate outfits + B3 cut characters
Budokai 1 (Gamecube version)

Then it would be godlike. And hell, if they really want to, they could throw in Shin Budokai 2 from PSP since I can't imagine everyone having played that one before. It was also praised a lot from the fans iirc.

I really wonder how they're going to handle Budokai 3. Just go straight up with Infinite World and not add anything? Or, re-add the cut characters and throw in the greatest hits alt. outfits? It'd be awful if they went with vanilla B3, there's even no Japanese voice over option in that (which iirc the Greatest Hits version added).

Assuming Budokai 3 is in the collection, of course. And if it is, it'd be sick if they bothered to add online for it. The password system is so so so archaic! Almost nobody would use it in this day and age.

Takao

Banned
An ode to Yamamoto's career, from the man himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGxbSgrMvGE

If they cherry pick, it won't be.

If it's straight up B1, B2, and B3 (with no Inf. World content OR the greatest hits additions) then yeah. But if it's like

BT3 (based off the PS2 version maybe with added online since the Wii version had online?)
Inf. World + greatest hits alternate outfits + B3 cut characters
Budokai 1 (Gamecube version)

Then it would be godlike. And hell, if they really want to, they could throw in Shin Budokai 2 from PSP since I can't imagine everyone having played that one before. It was also praised a lot from the fans iirc.

I really wonder how they're going to handle Budokai 3. Just go straight up with Infinite World and not add anything? Or, re-add the cut characters and throw in the greatest hits alt. outfits? It'd be awful if they went with vanilla B3, there's even no Japanese voice over option in that (which iirc the Greatest Hits version added).

Assuming Budokai 3 is in the collection, of course. And if it is, it'd be sick if they bothered to add online for it. The password system is so so so archaic! Almost nobody would use it in this day and age.

Ideal collection would be Infinite World, Super DBZ, and BT3. Experience all 3 different play styles of last gen's better DBZ games.

Takao

Banned
Namco Bandai EU is conducting a live stream from Japan-Expo. It should be officially unveiled in a bit more than a half hour.

Stream link here.

Takao

Banned
Confirmed via Japan Expo:

Oh goes, trailer has replaced music sounds awful. Features Budokai + Budokai 3.

wat

Kokonoe

Banned
Namco Bandai EU is conducting a live stream from Japan-Expo. It should be officially unveiled in a bit more than a half hour.

Stream link here.

22:00 for those wanting to know.

Wow, it looks great. Kinda strange they didn't put Budokai 2 in as well.

Verelios

I used to think that it would be awesome to be able to move freely while playing a DBZ game. After beating every Tenkaichi story...I'm sorry, but Budokai 3 was a lot more fun. Yes, yes it was.

The beams were gorgeous too, and close range Kamehameha's HNNNGGGGGGGG!! But I digress. BT3 and Budokai 3 for the collection!!

It looked like everything in that trailer was from 3 I thought? Maybe not.
Yeah your right about it not being shown in the trailer, there were some screens released though.

From Nostal's Facebook group:

ibzR5XVEyP1See.jpg

i1z0UUTfremCZ.jpg

I'm going to miss the plagiarized music.

All I care about is Infinite World with online play with competent netcode (Soulcalibur V makes me know Namco is capable of this). Anything that isn't that or just a brand-new Dragon Ball game developed by not-Spike I will not purchase.

IW is certainly not without its faults, but after reading a lot of the opinions in this thread, I think the game's biggest fault is really just when it came out (PS3-era). I feel like few people really gave it a chance, because of how late it hit in the PS2's lifespan.

IW's fighting system outclasses Budokai 3's in every conceivable way. Does the story mode really matter that much? Most fans already know the story anyway, and non-fans are unlikely to care. Once you've played through it and gotten all the capsules, who cares? IW's story mode is pretty decent anyway.

I don't think I've played B3 more than once since IW came out, and that one time was at a nostalgic friend's request.

It matters to me. Plus I don't like how infinite world used the burst limit controls.
It doesn't...it uses the same P-K-G-E system from Budokai 3. The only differences are gathering ki, transforming, and executing ultimate attacks, all of which they made simpler and more intuitive.

If anything, Infinite World's system is closer to a fusion of Budokai 3 and Shin Budokai than it is anything like Burst Limit. I didn't even mind BL, and you're right that it's a lot different, but IW is definitely closer to B3 than BL.

Revven

All I care about is Infinite World with online play with competent netcode (Soulcalibur V makes me know Namco is capable of this).

Sadly, IW was met with mixed feelings. Some liked what it added, some didn't. Some of it has to do with the cut characters (which B3 had). Some of it has to do with the single player. And some of it has to do with the gameplay additions/fixes.

I honestly would have preferred IW too but... tons more people played B3 and like it over IW so... it wins. :(

Maybe they'll release it in some other form, like over the Playstation Store/XBLA. Or... as DLC (doubtful).

Sadly, IW was met with mixed feelings. Some liked what it added, some didn't. Some of it has to do with the cut characters that B3 had. Some of it has to do with the single player. And some of it has to do with the gameplay additions/fixes.

I honestly would have preferred IW too but... tons more people played B3 and like it over IW so... it wins. :(
I think IW is close to perfect in the fighting engine category. The only changes I would've made are in that I probably would've stripped B3's base down even a little more than IW already did: I would have removed Aura Burning (waste of ki), that stupid ki blast throw (normal throws come out faster, scale better, and can be used to start combos), and cinematic ultimate attacks (having them all real-time makes them much more cost-effective, and they don't ruin the pace of the match). IW nailed just about everything else dead-on.

While I enjoy Budokai 3 more, I'd say Infinite World is the better fighter mechanically. Budokai 3 was probably the better choice from a marketing standpoint since that's the game everyone seems to fondly remember, and including both IW and B3 would have been even more redundant than the current package of B1 and B3.

Maybe they'll release it in some other form, like over the Playstation Store/XBLA. Or... as DLC (doubtful).

I could see it as a PS2 Classics release.

Yeah, it does make more sense that they would pick Budokai 3, since that is the most popular one. It just makes me sad, because Infinite World is so much better.

I'd actually like to try Infinite World. The problem is that I'd need online to have someone to play.
The AI in Infinite World is actually not too bad. The only problem with it is that it uses Aura Burning a lot; once you learn to exploit that, it loses its challenge.

Grokbu

The AI in Infinite World is actually not too bad. The only problem with it is that it uses Aura Burning a lot; once you learn to exploit that, it loses its challenge.

Hrm, I see. I generally don't like playing the AI, but I'm thinking I might give it a shot anyway. Same thing goes for Shin Budokai.

Seik

Banned
Nobody wants Budokai 2. The game was garbage.

Yep, that board-game like story mode was bullshit, it felt so bad and weak after playing the first one. Budokai 3 is everything 2 is, but all for the better and upgraded. 1 & 3 are perfect, though putting 2 would have been nice just for the fact of having the whole trilogy.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Are these actual good fighting games or is it for DBZ only fans. I've played a few of the demos and they just seemed flashy and whiz bang like those Nerduto games.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Are these actual good fighting games or is it for DBZ only fans. I've played a few of the demos and they just seemed flashy and whiz bang like those Nerduto games.

Budokai 3 is my favorite DBZ game. It's been a long time since I played it but I recall it atleast playing well and being more fleshed out compared to some of the Naturo stuff I've played.

Being a DBZ fan would help a lot either way.

Takao

Banned
Dimps didn't do the GC ports for B/B2. They likely don't have the code for that.

I could see it as a PS2 Classics release.

There's not going to be an PS2 Classics release of any of these games. We don't know if Namco Bandai has digital rights to Dragon Ball (as of 2010 they seemingly didn't), and of course the music scandal.

I felt that the first budokai was ok at the time, skipped the second but LOVED the third version, looked and played so well and has some amazing music.

There's not going to be an PS2 Classics release of any of these games. We don't know if Namco Bandai has digital rights to Dragon Ball (as of 2010 they seemingly didn't), and of course the music scandal.

I could have sworn Tag Team VS. was on PSN (Or was that the demo...?)

I did forget about the music issue, though.

Takao

Banned
I could have sworn Tag Team VS. was on PSN (Or was that the demo...?)

I did forget about the music issue, though.

It was just a demo. Tenkaichi Tag Team/Tag VS. was UMD only in every region. Originally Atari had put up Shin Budokai, and Shin Budokai: Another Road on PSN when they had the license. However, once Namco Bandai reclaimed worldwide rights they removed the games from PSN.

Haha, why is no one commenting on how terrible non-cell shaded DBZ looks terribe?

The game's from 2002. That's why.

It was just a demo. Tenkaichi Tag Team/Tag VS. was UMD only in every region. Originally Atari had put up Shin Budokai, and Shin Budokai: Another Road on PSN when they had the license. However, once Namco Bandai reclaimed worldwide rights they removed the games from PSN.

The game's from 2002. That's why.

Yes, but you'd think they would change it, no? They changed with the port for the GC, so I don't imagine it being hard.

Top Bottom