• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Dragon Ball Z Budokai HD Collection is going to be a thing

Any word of which version of BT3 this is.

Hopefully it has all 3 versions content in it.

Goku w/ Halo – Alternate costume for Goku (in America's "Greatest Hits" Edition, European Collector's Edition, and Japanese version).
Vegeta w/ Scouter – Alternate costume for Vegeta (in America's "Greatest Hits" Edition, European Collector's Edition, and Japanese version).
Demon King Piccolo – Alternate costume for Piccolo (in America's "Greatest Hits" Edition, European Collector's Edition, and Japanese version).
Trunks' Armor Costume – Alternate costume for Trunks (only in Japanese version, American Greatest Hits and European Collector's Collection).
Bulma Costume – Alternate costume for Videl (in the Japanese version after 100% completion and via Action Replay device).

Vegeta w/ Scouter is best version.

Id kill for a updated roster (SSJ3 Vegeta and Broly) but its never happening. Wonder if the nodding scene will adopt this.

Revven

The only thing we know is that it may have the Japanese dub as an option in the game (it was mentioned in the press release). So that might hint at the possibility of this being the Greatest Hits version (which means we would at least get the alt. costumes from that version of the game). I say this because the GH version had the JP dub as an option in NA whereas the original B3 did not.

We'll have to wait and see though still.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Budokai was the peak of the franchise, day 1!

There's so many things wrong with this.

Firstly, it's incomplete. It's not a "Budokai collection" without Budokai 2. It doesn't matter what you or anyone thinks of 2. It's incomplete and not a "Budokai collection" without it. I think Namco-Bandai could have afforded to include 1 more samey fighting game in there, when you see HD Collections with 3 large, different games like DMC or MGS HD Collection.

Secondly, of all the older games to bring back, they bring back these, missing all of the Budokai Tenkaichi and semi-interesting spinoff series.

Thirdly, the "cel shaded DBZ fighting game" is really, really tired by now. The current generation is over-saturated with all similar DB games, so what do they do? Here's even more cel-shaded fighters that play almost the same as the new ones and look just a bit worse. Maybe even pull a curveball and make a collection of the SNES games for digital download for XBLA/PSN. Maybe try something different, something many people haven't played before. But no, here's more of the same, that almost everyone played already anyway.

Why the hell doesn't Namco-Bandai port THIS to 360/PS3?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC4Lc4VXCoI
Zenkai Battle Royale.

Still Japan only. Still Japan arcade only.

But here consoles, the same bullshit you've seen for ages and ages now.

I mean, Zenkai Battle Royale has class. The visuals are a stark difference. That's right, no more cel-shaded look, in exchange for a very polished looking character model type. The music is more diverse, too. And the gameplay/fighting mechanics are new.

But it's still a fighting game. Where is the huge 3D action-RPG spanning DB to GT (or hell, just make 3 games) that people have been asking for? How about a game focusing more on DB or GT? How about instead of rehearsing the Saiyan/Frieza/Cell sagas over and over again, we see more pre-DBZ, post-Cell saga or GT emphasis? They're making these yearly games for the birds at this point. So much potential wasted.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
The Tenkaichi series sucked. They were fanservice and uhhh that's it. Actually playing them is the worst.

I can play as Tambourine...

great.

Dereck

Zenkai Battle Royale.

I mean, the game has class. The visuals are a stark difference. That's right, no more cel-shaded look, in exchange for a very polished looking character model type. The music is more diverse, too. And the gameplay/fighting mechanics are new.

But it's still a fighting game. Where is the huge 3D action-RPG spanning DB to GT (or hell, just make 3 games) that people have been asking for? How about a game focusing more on DB or GT? How about instead of rehearsing the Saiyan/Frieza/Cell sagas over and over again, we see more pre-DBZ, post-Cell saga or GT emphasis? They're making these yearly games for the birds at this point. So much potential wasted.
The fans of console DBZ games want it ported too, believe me. We are all up in arms.

Syntsui

What's the point in having Budokai 1 in this? It's like Capcom releasing a Street Fighter IV, Super Street Fighter IV and Super Street Fighter IV AE in a collection. I would buy if it was Budokai 3 alone or when it's really cheap.

Takao

Banned
Thirdly, the "cel shaded DBZ fighting game" is really, really tired by now. The current generation is over-saturated with all similar DB games, so what do they do? Here's even more cel-shaded fighters that play almost the same as the new ones and look just a bit worse.

trumanshow.gif

There hasn't been a console game similar to the Budokai play style since 2008. From the PS3/360 era of games there is a whopping 1 game that uses the 2D play style, and it's Burst Limit. Burst Limit is the highest selling game of the franchise this gen, but only went up to Cell and never got a sequel. It's been out of print since 2009, so there's no chance this game is still on store shelves by now. The Budokai HD Collection is the return of this play style created by Dimps.

The games we've gotten since Burst Limit have all been made by Spike. The same Spike who's made those Budokai Tenkaichi games you're lusting over missing. They made Raging Blast (2009), Raging Blast 2 (2010), Ultimate Tenkaichi (2011), and are currently making DBZ for Kinect. The first two of those games were marketed as an "evolution" to the Budokai Tenkaichi series. They were mediocre, half baked products not worth a single person's time. The third was a piece of shit that I'd hesitate to even call a video game. These games are destroying the name of Dragon Ball video games because they're that bad. The games made by Spike are the ones that would fit the description of "cel-shaded fighters that play almost the same as the new ones and look just a bit worse".

Maybe even pull a curveball and make a collection of the SNES games for digital download for XBLA/PSN. Maybe try something different, something many people haven't played before. But no, here's more of the same, that almost everyone played already anyway.

There's a good chance that Namco Bandai does not own digital release rights for the Dragon Ball franchise, so that would pretty much restrict any kind of PSN/XBLA classics release. The SNES games in particular we'll never see again because Kenji Yamamoto "composed" the music for those games and I doubt TOSE, or whoever made them still has the source code to swap out music.

Zenkai Battle Royale.

I mean, the game has class. The visuals are a stark difference. That's right, no more cel-shaded look, in exchange for a very polished looking character model type. The music is more diverse, too. And the gameplay/fighting mechanics are new.

This game is getting a large variety of upgrades in arcades, including a story mode. To me that sounds like it'll be getting a port soon. It will likely be the major DBZ game for holiday 2013.

I've been saying that Scamco should get the Tales team to make a console Dragon Ball ARPG since that'll be the only chance one of those cracks more than a million. But I've been saying that for years.

As for your request for DB or GT games, the fact of the matter is that they don't sell as well as things branded with "Z". Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo for Wii was a big failure, it sold considerably less than the late PS2 ports Wii got.

What are they gonna do about the music? Yamamoto was fired and his music was in those games.

We'll be getting a replacement score. Scamco's reprinted copies of RB2 after the music scandal all featured non-Yamamoto music even though there were no documented cases of plagiarism taking place in that game's score. These PS2 games on the other hand have a variety of well documented cases.

Revven

What are they gonna do about the music? Yamamoto was fired and his music was in those games.

Looks like they're just going to do entirely new pieces. The opening music was already "re-done" so to speak (the music in the trailer).

Ban Puncher

Seems kind of redundant to have B1 in there and also weird not to include B2 just for completions sake.

Budokai 3 along with Tenkaichi 3 and Super Dragonball Z as a collection would of been mondo cool.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
You said it was nothing but a fanservice. That kinda implies that it lacks anything else.

Which was followed up by "Actually playing them is the worst." As in I hated playing those games and that doesn't have anything to do with my perception of "depth" in the game.

What is "depth" in a game anyway? Can I measure it with ruler or something? How does one game have more "depth" than another?

Either way I never mentioned or compared the "depth" of the Budokai series to the Budokai Tenkaichi series.

Thirdly, the "cel shaded DBZ fighting game" is really, really tired by now. The current generation is over-saturated with all similar DB games,

How many of these have there been? There's 3 this gen in the Tenkaichi style and 1 in the Budokai style. How would bringing 2 Budokai style games to a gen that only has one be over saturated?

inner-G

Banned
I'm glad it's Budokai, not Tenkaichi.

The 3D controls for DBZ are always wonky to me. If they could make a 3D that played as well as, say a CC2 Naruto game, then I would be a lot more interested.

Kokonoe

Banned
What is "depth" in a game anyway? Can I measure it with ruler or something? How does one game have more "depth" than another?

Either way I never mentioned or compared the "depth" of the Budokai series to the Budokai Tenkaichi series.

Depth in fighting games is how deep the combat is, so to speak. It's how many options are avaliable that make the combat much more diverse then with a game without it. (Ultimate Tenkaichi)

It's essentially a game that's less limited, and more open for the user itself to create with. Marvel VS Capcom 2 had tremendous depth because of what the community was able to create from it, but also because the game was made in a way (either intentional or not) for that to occur.

Boss Man

I thought these games were essentially all the same. Initially made me think about EA releasing
an HD colleciton of Madden 2003 - Madden 2005
. Had to spoiler that in case they were watching.

Guess I'm wrong though. I have had some fun with these games as a fan of the series. I might not have played 3 though...what makes it the superior game? I think I've only played the ones from this generation actually.

Takao

Banned
I thought these games were essentially all the same. Initially made me think about EA releasing
an HD colleciton of Madden 2003 - Madden 2005
. Had to spoiler that in case they were watching.

Guess I'm wrong though. I have had some fun with these games as a fan of the series. I might not have played 3 though...what makes it the superior game? I think I've only played the ones from this generation actually.

Most refined combat system prior to Infinite World, and arguably the deepest, and most engaging story mode. The visuals were popping, and the roster was nice.

ibyQ5dBBy9lfZ4.jpg
I don't remember being able to stand in water like that in the first Budokai. Maybe my memory is just fuzzy...it's been a while.

Anyway, it looks like they actual reformatted the games to fit widescreen without stretching. That's pretty rad. The improved B3 graphics look surprisingly good, too.

...but I still wish it were Infinite World instead.

ant1532

Banned
yesyesyes. all the tenkaichi games were trash. skipped out on all of them. budokai 3 is the best dbz game of all time. lets do this.

Revven

I hope this game have online play, which I think this game might have.

Sorry bud, but it doesn't look like it. No mention of it in the press release & we also got a screenshot of the main menu with no sign of it.

And... boxart also lacks the PSN/XBL logos.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Am I seeing this wrong, or did you steal my avatar? lol
Edit: I guess not? I don't know, it's showing up as my avatar on my phone, but not my PC. Witchcraft.

I'd buy it if it's $30 or less. Budokai 3 was the best of the series, right? I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

DeVeAn

All of those were replaced in the reprints.

Thank GOD I got this before the Yamamoto music scandal.

Fuck this collection. Not the complete trilogy and butchered music. I knew this would happen ugh. Also, why the hell have Budokai one? Should have been B3, BT3 and Super DBZ THAT would be a collection worth getting. I know the dude "copied" music but is was partly why the games were so cool.

What's next Madden collection? WTF!

Top Bottom