• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how about that heatwave this week in California?

Chjemah

Neo Member
Girlfriend's AC broke yesterday so it's the perfect time for a heat wave. Also, the AC vendor who the apt complex goes through is booked for the week so should be fun!

dyooxop.png

Vegas here. If you don't have AC here it's because it's broken and the AC repair guy is already on his way. It's 113 outside but it's always below 80 inside.

Edit: see forecast notes about records

Hydrus

As a So-Cal kid, I loved summer! No school, swimming everyday /all day and AC indoors while gaming. Now as an adult, I fucking hate summer! HATE it! The worse time of the year. Combine that with the insanely over populated So-cal cities and traffic, it's basically hell. Once I get home, I refuse too leave the house.

I'm fucking dying, GAF. I'm by the car, waiting for my friends to come with the keys. 106° F (41° C) in Fresno.

EDIT: My phone is so hot, it's burning my hands.

EDIT EDIT: And now I'm being attacked by ants in the shade! No where is safe!

dyooxop.png

Vegas here. If you don't have AC here it's because it's broken and the AC repair guy is already on his way. It's 113 outside but it's always below 80 inside.

Edit: see forecast notes about records

I used to live in Vegas for ~10 years and moved away 3 years ago. I don't miss the weather because summer is fucking miserable. I do miss in and out though /sadpanda

In Berlin I'm dying at anyting above 30 degrees celsius. Couldn't handle above 40 without the ocean nearby or 24/7 air conditioning

Couldn't sleep last night because I was sweating like a dog.

I look at it this way, the sooner the heat comes... and yeah, disregarding we might get months (yeah, MONTHS) of it, the sooner it will be over. First step is the hardest, but when you get it, even though it's hell, eventually there will be a time to get out, Fall will be here, then Winter (which for California, is fine, though for the blizzard-bound other areas of the USA/Canada... well, I can't say much to help you out there).

As a lifer from Cali, this "heat wave" really isn't a thing. It was mid 80s yesterday, and even 90 something in socal is really just dry heat. A fan, some shade will do nicely but of course sitting in an AC cooled house is always best.

Everything always seems to be so dramatic.. HEAT WAVE!! Oh, wait.. todays high is Orange County is 88 degrees. This is the kind of weather people move here for lol

Funny thing is, right now, this ISN'T anything. Wait till the heat we get in August and September. Those are our blistering months! Usually, June and July are hot, but not overly-hot. I'd call them fair-weather, post-"perfect spring" weather. For me, 70 degrees range is a perfect spring sunny day, this is just 10 degrees over that (hell, I'd consider 80s-low 90s to be "perfect Summer" weather), yet the wind we get still has a coolness to it. By the time we get to late-Summer, that will all be gone. Over 100 degrees, some days with no air, or warm-as-fuck air. Literally like living in a sauna.

Reading this thread here in Germany after a day of 33C (91F), what I consider the upper limit that a human being is able to bear, I weep for you and pray for your poor souls in purgatory.
Suffer and DRINK A LOT you brave Cali people.

Going back home to the So Cal area for a weekend visit to Disneyland... y’all had me worried. lol

This is nothing. We were in the mid to high 90s in Chicago like a week ago.

I don't understand how people enjoy summer. Yeah having my balls permentatly plastered to my thigh and needing the baby powder my ass from chaffing is awesome. Also, feeling like absolute dog shit because of the heat is totally great too.

*i work outside.

Alcander

Hardly slept at all last night (mountain view). It was absolutely horrendous, and we don't have AC. The fans were doing shit-all. Went to Frys today to get a portable AC unit and they were predictably all sold out.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Gotta admit I'm spoiled. I'm standing outside. It's 85, 40% humidity, cloudless bright blue skies, a light breeze and I'm miserable.

For those suggesting this heat wave is nothing special, Phoenix has a shot at breaking its all-time high temperature tomorrow. That's not daily high, that's all time high.

It's hot

Lol, I was at that airport on that day in 1990 waiting for a connecting flight. I stepped outside out of curiosity. Mistake.

PsychBat!

Banned
OOOOOHHH Now I'm doing a bit more research and I found out that my local area is experiencing 96 degrees F.

hahaha that's just wonderful

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's 32c in the UK and I'm dying, I've been sitting in my boxers all day with multiple fans on, all the windows open and a little bottle to spray cold water on myself. It's so sticky and uncomfortable.

Rizific

central california here too. moved here about 3 years ago and this seems par for the course for summer. am i missing something?

Kadin

It was 108F here today and I saw a girl dressed in black shirt, black pants and a black apron appearing to go to work while standing at a light waiting for her turn to cross. She was just happily texting on her phone while I'm melting away in my air conditioned vehicle. I swear some people just aren't affected by the heat like others are.

Dang it I've been wanting to run but it's way too hot.

Should be about approaching the time where i'm good with it. I haven't been outside in about an hour.

SpecX

I wish I were still in Cali for this heat wave. Just got into Puerto Rico and this humidity is so much fucking worse. All the windows fog up cause of this shit. This is going to be a tough work week 😦

Stasis

I'm sure someone has said it but I'm too lazy to read the whole thread. We've had 40C with humidity in QUEBEC this week. 105-ish in bullshit imperial. Yes I'm from NY. Metric is best. Sorry.

Keep in mind we hit MINUS 40C this past Winter with windchill. Which is -40F too. It's where they meet.

So we've seen both of those within like 4 months. We have some of the most extreme temp variations over 12 months in the world. Y'all got nothing.

Enjoy the heat.

But seriously get some AC or hydrate properly. Don't take risks. Shit is real and dangerous at both extremes.

My wife and I are seriously aiming to move as north as we can while maintaining our careers. Looking to move within two or three years. We see the temps only getting worse and think it's as good as a time as possible to plant roots in a place that gives us a better shot of not having to roast to death.

Top Bottom