• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

The prices of all systems are comparable to those in Europe though.

Were a money saving bunch you could have got the PS4 Slim during the holidays for $300 or Xbox1 same price with a game or two, most people buy consoles on sale it may be the same price as Europe but its not *a good deal* here especially when nothing is packed in.

Mentok

Banned
There were 5 at my local Walmart (Orleans Walmart in Ottawa)...that's the most I've EVER seen. FINALLY managed to get my Neon (I figured we weren't getting that Splatoon bundle here, so no point holding off)!!

DrBo42

I wouldn't even do that. Just sign up for the iStockNow notifications from Target. Wait for an overnight notification (I got mine 11 pm), then get up early and get to the store before they open to secure your unit. The overnight notification means that there's no chance of the console being sold out from under you as you head over.
I've never seen a late night notification. Is that regional? Seems all these stores on Florida get shipments in the morning.

Mezoly

EDIT: Its AZ.

Any idea how to setup Target notification? I dont get that option on istocknow.

You go to the live map. Pick switch from the filters on the left. Then select notify next to the login button on the top right. A list of stores would show up and you just check the stores. I have added target to my notifications before.

You go to the live map. Pick switch from the filters on the left. Then select notify next to the login button on the top right. A list of stores would show up and you just check the stores. I have added target to my notifications before.

Yeah got it. I added every store in near my work location and home location.

5dc886849a828dd840b110189b84a7c81f8fefd055dc7b6413e5e325a1626e78.jpg

jeremy1456

Wal Mart in Redding California got four last week.

I was shocked to see them in the wild. I asked an employee about it and he said they were getting bigger shipments.

Are you kidding me

4 months on with the Wii launch and it was impossible to find a Wii. I don't know what planet you were on.

Yeah I have to agree with him. Even a year on the Wii was ridiculously hard to get. I took a Christmas seasonal job in 06 at Best Buy and we wheeled out a pallet of Wiis, cracked it open and within 10 seconds a hundred Wiis we're picked clean.

RoadDogg

I remember being at a best buy when mario kart wii came out and there were peopled lined up getting tickets for their wii alotment. That was almost 1.5 years after launch. I dont exect this to go that far, and the hype levels arent anywhere near that, but 4 months with systems availabe almost every week amd easily in a bundle doesnt seem like they are doing a bad job of ramping up production after being way off at launch.

AcridMeat

Banned
Bunch of Gamestops updated as having them on iStock this afternoon in the Bay Area. The ones on my commute home were already out before I was off work.

I noticed one right by work that was listed as having them around 4pm. Told my coworker who has been dying to get one, and we found out there was only one left in stock so I let them go get it since they've clearly wanted one far more/longer than I.

Might try Best Buy on Sunday, I don't know. I'm already tired of this shit.

edit: Aw shit, didn't think to check one other location closer to me because it didn't appear on their map, and sure enough they had stock tonight. :(

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah I have to agree with him. Even a year on the Wii was ridiculously hard to get. I took a Christmas seasonal job in 06 at Best Buy and we wheeled out a pallet of Wiis, cracked it open and within 10 seconds a hundred Wiis we're picked clean.
We were talking specifically not about the US though.

(also yeah Christmas)

I just picked up a switch yesterday from Gamestop. It appears some are getting shipments for arms, but at different times. Nintendo is really struggling to get those things in.

I got notifications for like 5 Targets in NYC. But too late now, stock might already be gone by now. I am going to Nintendo World in the evening.

holy_bins

Neo Member
Just want to chime in with another success story using istocknow.com.

I'm in the Charlotte, NC area and signed up for the site's notifications last night. Get one at around 6 AM this morning telling me that a Target store in the area has 3 red/blue Switches.

Head down there around 8:30 AM, but the cases in the store are empty as usual. Decided I might as well ask one of the employees - and they tell me they do have them...exactly 3 of the red/blue ones! Apparently they just weren't stocked on the floor yet.

So yeah...the site totally works. No idea how it works considering there isn't even a product page anymore for the Switch at Target's website...but yeah, I'd try it out if you're still searching for a Switch.

marmoka

Banned
I asked Amazon ES this morning about when they estimated to renew the stock for Blue-Red, but I got no answer yet.

I'm my birthplace, 400 kms far from Madrid, you could find Grey Switches in a shopping center. I will check this evening how the stock situation is in Madrid city center. I will let you know later today if there are any in stock, in case you are interested.

bumpkin

*sigh*

I think I encountered my first hardware woe... I'm finding that sometimes the X button on my right Joy-Con is sticking. Not in the sense that it wasn't coming back up after I pressed it, but in that it was staying activated after I released it. I can usually fix it by pressing and releasing hard, but it's annoying during intense matches.

Anyone else had this issue? I'm wondering if it's worth contacting Nintendo about or not.

marmoka

Banned
So I went to 3 stores in Madrid center: Game, Corte Ingles and Fnac.

Game had like 6 Switches for sale, 2 of them where the neon models. But those boxes where empty. I don't know if they had them there just for reservations or if the original consoles where hidden in the storage.

Corte Ingles had like 7 grey models. Empty boxes as well.

Fnac had nothing.

I was about to ask in Game if did they have any Neon Switches available, but I couldn't. A voice inside was telling me "not yet, just wait". It's true that today I had to do the shopping, clean my house for once, and cook tomorrow's lunch; perhaps my sense of responsibility told me to wait for a couple of days. Or probably I was scared of getting an unexpected answer, like that those boxes where only for reservations and they wouldn't get any new Switches until the end of July.

I'll go back to ask this weekend. Or next week. Or who knows when...

Slathe

Got a bunch of istocknow notifications for local gamestops. I went to the closest within ten minutes and they'd already sold out. I went to two more before finding a neon at one.

Gamestop did try and force a bundle on me, but they let me swap out whatever I wanted so long as the net sale was over 460 or so. Of course, since it's not a real bundle, it shows up on the receipt as individual items so I just went to another one on the way home and returned all the items I didn't want. The cashier said that it was "sketchy" of me to do that, but I told him their policy of holding the console hostage until I paid 150 in extras was pretty sketchy and he couldn't deny it. In the end, it worked.

I hadn't run into anyone anime-running during these visits, so I figured the story wouldn't be complete. To remedy this, while he rung-up the returns, I lowered my head and thrust my arms back and did a loop around the store. Then I clotheslined a kid browsing the discount games bin.

Long story short...mission complete. I recommend using istocknow with "hide stores with none in stock" and "show new arrivals" filter, in addition to notifications. That kept me from dealing with any false-positives (which seem to stem from bad inventory management at the store).

Good luck fellow hunters.

Kandinsky

Gosh, I planned a trip to New York starting this sunday for 10 days, I really hope I can grab one of these, because I ain't paying 550 bux here, screw that D:

I'm guessing the best chances are to go straight to NWS?

Edit: ^^^^Yes thats what I like to hear/read, congrats on the Switch too!

Assanova

Got a bunch of istocknow notifications for local gamestops. I went to the closest within ten minutes and they'd already sold out. I went to two more before finding a neon at one.

Gamestop did try and force a bundle on me, but they let me swap out whatever I wanted so long as the net sale was over 460 or so. Of course, since it's not a real bundle, it shows up on the receipt as individual items so I just went to another one on the way home and returned all the items I didn't want. The cashier said that it was "sketchy" of me to do that, but I told him their policy of holding the console hostage until I paid 150 in extras was pretty sketchy and he couldn't deny it. In the end, it worked.

I hadn't run into anyone anime-running during these visits, so I figured the story wouldn't be complete. To remedy this, while he rung-up the returns, I lowered my head and thrust my arms back and did a loop around the store. Then I clotheslined a kid browsing the discount games bin.

Long story short...mission complete. I recommend using istocknow with "hide stores with none in stock" and "show new arrivals" filter, in addition to notifications. That kept me from dealing with any false-positives (which seem to stem from bad inventory management at the store).

Haha. This is amazing. I would so do this.

Gosh, I planned a trip to New York starting this sunday for 10 days, I really hope I can grab one of these, because I ain't paying 550 bux here, screw that D:

I'm guessing the best chances are to go straight to NWS?

Edit: ^^^^Yes thats what I like to hear/read, congrats on the Switch too!

Thanks. Queue up at 9 am there. They are getting stock daily. 5-10 switches per day.

Hahahaha goddamn the audacity of someone working for GameStop telling a customer they seem to be doing something sketchy

Does iStock work for JoyCons too or just Switch systems?

I was searching for one for my sister. I usually like target better but I got notifications that Gamestop were getting them.

Went to three stores before I was able to score one since the first two sold out minutes before I got there.

As I was buying the Switch, they tried to force so many useless shit on me. Force is the word. They didn't even 'try' but force it on me, almost making me feel guilty for walking into the store. Fuck Gamestop. Something is very wrong when a retailer makes you feel guilty for being a paying customer!

The GameStop dude near NWS was quite cool though. He suggested me to get it from NWS and wished me luck. I would definitely prefer such attitude than the GameStop which is near my office.

brentech

I just sold mine on eBay, used with Zelda and a travel case + screen protector. I got the Zelda used for $40 myself. Sold the whole bundle for $435

Basically rented the system and got paid a little in return. I'll buy one couple years from now when more games I'm interested in are available.
And someone else that hasn't been able to find one at retail ends their search. Win win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom