• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

These only seem to go for 360$ on craigslist which isn't too bad for such a hot item. Considering gettin it from there but would really like the extended warranty from a credit card purchase...decisions decisions

Holy shit on a shingle I just nabbed the Neon Red/Blue Joy-Cons off Newegg thanks to iStock, I hope to GOD that they're legit. I haven't ordered off Newegg in forever, I'm amazed I even remembered my password.

There were 2 available, one from Newegg themselves and one from a 3rd party seller, made sure to get the one from Newegg. If I open this box to find Grey Joy-Cons inside again I'm going to fucking murder someone.

Is there any way to order a Switch (non-bundle) online through GS for store pickup? Just got an alert that it's in-stock at my local GS but I won't be home from work for hours.

Lol how do these things sell out like 5 minutes after I get pinged from iStock? Do people have their payment info set up already or something? sigh

moeman

YBkJEBo_d.jpg

This is getting a little out of hand...

Have issues such as the joycon connectivity or screen scratching been sorted out? As well as any manufacturing kinks etc

Screen scratching has never been an issue, the issue was always damaged docks.

As for the left joycon, newer manufactured units are not supposed to have that problem, but some people have bought units more recently that still do. There's likely little guarantee that the unit you purchase has been manufactured after they fixed that, though I'm sure that likelihood will go up with time.

Nedgame in the Netherlands finally has them in stock (red/blue model). Hopefully I have the money to buy one next week :)

(please stay in stock until then!)

Zedark

Nedgame in the Netherlands finally has them in stock (red/blue model). Hopefully I have the money to buy one next week :)

(please stay in stock until then!)

You can preorder it already and have it sent to your local Nedgame store, that way they hold it back for you for a week without you having to pay in advance.

Is there any way to order a Switch (non-bundle) online through GS for store pickup? Just got an alert that it's in-stock at my local GS but I won't be home from work for hours.
So... iStock is LEGIT. Sent the GF on a lunchtime sneaking mission, as she works a few blocks from the store. Success! Technically my 4th Switch; got one for myself, canceled the second, sold the third to my boss at cost and this is for my little brother. Woo and or hoo. Gotta spread those preorders out for Nintendo launches, sadly.

Ashhong

Got a notification that a Walmart just received the Neon Switch. I called and they said there are no Switch on the shelves, and if anything, it would come in at midnight. Is this right? Should I go there and look?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Lol how do these things sell out like 5 minutes after I get pinged from iStock? Do people have their payment info set up already or something? sigh
Scalpers, and yes. There's a guy in my area (Southern California) on Craigslist who's sold DOZENS of them at a hefty profit -- he sells them in all sorts of different bundles including an outrageously overpriced Zelda Limited Edition bundle. Just seems like a lame and desperate way to make $50-$100.

Assanova

Got a notification that a Walmart just received the Neon Switch. I called and they said there are no Switch on the shelves, and if anything, it would come in at midnight. Is this right? Should I go there and look?

Yeah, don't listen to what any of the associates say. I went looking for a gold PS4 the morning it was released and they said they didn't have it. Didn't even bother going to the back to look. I went at 6AM on the day it was released, so I was 100% sure they had it. They did have a Switch, so I grabbed that and got the PS4 later that day. You just have to go check for yourself or find an employee that is willing to go to the back to look.

brentech

A lot of times re employees that you are talking to might know the store was receiving any given product, but can't pull it because it hasn't been inventoyed into their system.

Not everything is a conspiracy or lazy employees. There are logistical reasons these things happen.

Assanova

A lot of times re employees that you are talking to might know the store was receiving any given product, but can't pull it because it hasn't been inventoyed into their system.

Not everything is a conspiracy or lazy employees. There are logistical reasons these things happen.

Lazy developers.

OryoN

Idk, istocknow was showing a few targets in the NYC area had neon Switches. The target at Atlantic mall downtown Brooklyn reportedly had 9. I called yesterday and was told they have none. Today, when I checked it was still saying 9. I don't know how exactly this inventory info is shared, but some stores seem to be more accurately tracked than others.

I'm probably going to end up getting an ARMS bundle from GS, or camp out at Nintendo NY store one early morning. The latter of which gets small shipments daily, I heard.

Ashhong

I keep seeing Walmarts popping up saying that neon is in stock with limited availability (1) but I call and they say no. Why would only one come in? If someone is returning or something? Weird

Karkador

Banned
I'm probably going to end up getting an ARMS bundle from GS, or camp out at Nintendo NY store one early morning. The latter of which gets small shipments daily, I heard.

They do, and last Sunday I went in around maybe 1 or 2 and they apparently still had some (they open at 11 on Sundays)

Neonep

I feel bad for people going through all this bullshit just to give Nintendo their money. It's so far removed from my experiences. I must live in a weird area or have incredible timing. I had zero issue getting one.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just a heads up -- I had good experiences with iStockNow. They showed me when shipments arrived, etc, and although the stock indicator wasn't always accurate (call before you go, obviously), it did tell me how long ago shipments of the console arrived in the store, which helped me narrow down whom to call, and eventually I refreshed the page today to see some Switch units arrived in stock mid-afternoon in my area at a local Gamestop -- called & confirmed, got one. Never even signed up for alerts, but I'm fairly certain that's something you can do as well.

Muffdraul

Probably a month ago was the last time I tried to score a set of red/blue joy-cons. Just tried again today, still no luck. Did a big shipment go out during the time I wasn't looking, or has it been dry all this time? I got the yellow joy cons today at Amazon so I don't really even care anymore, but I admit I'm still a tad bitter.

jrDev

I'm considering to buy Zelda right now. So I can play it directly once I finally get a Switch.

Is this a good idea GAF?
Sure why not lol? Unless you want it digitally then it doesn't matter...

I've been looking for red joycon packs and can't find any...need tomorrow for my long trip 😭😭

Muffdraul

I'm considering to buy Zelda right now. So I can play it directly once I finally get a Switch.

Is this a good idea GAF?

That's what I did, got my copy of Zelda at launch but didn't get a Switch until the beginning of May. This is exactly why Zelda had an attach rate higher than 100% for a while. (maybe still does?)

Zedark

Is this a good idea GAF?

You can do that if you want to take a second trip/want to play as soon as the system arrives. Keep in mind that some people who did this around launch did it because copies of BOTW were selling out, so they didn't to risk having a system but no BOTW copy available to purchase (others did it for the reason you suggest as well, of course).

marmoka

Banned
Thanks for your replies guys! I was wondering if what I would do was not clever, but now I feel safe doing it.

I hope my anxiety of getting a Switch does not increase with this purchase, haha.

Iced

Has anyone heard anything about neon red/blue joy-cons being restocked ever again? Either the red/blue combo or the red and blue sets?

There's defintiely something wrong with my best Buy order. It was supposed to be delivered by the 26th and the order page is still in the 'processing' phase.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was back-ordered right before I got my order in.

I cut and taped the paper protecting the joycon grip( don't know the exact name for that type of paper) inside the Dock, and put a really good glass screen protector on my unit, so fortunately *knock on wood* I've avoided any scratches. I do note that it's a tight fit( maybe that's due to the aforementioned paper lining), is that normal or should it be pretty loose?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I feel bad for people going through all this bullshit just to give Nintendo their money. It's so far removed from my experiences. I must live in a weird area or have incredible timing. I had zero issue getting one.

Do you live in a small town? My parent retired to a small town. Every time I go to visit them I swing my Walmart and a family owned electronics store. Both of their selves are awash with Switches.

Is this a good idea GAF?

Is Zelda in short supply? If not I don't see the point, unless you really want to stare at the case or something. And I know that Nintendo games rarely if ever go on sale, but you are removing the possibility of maybe getting it cheaper somehow when you eventually get a system.

Neonep

Do you live in a small town? My parent retired to a small town. Every time I go to visit them I swing my Walmart and a family owned electronics store. Both of their selves are awash with Switches.
I wouldn't say small. I live in the Bay Area.

I cut and taped the paper protecting the joycon grip( don't know the exact name for that type of paper) inside the Dock, and put a really good glass screen protector on my unit, so fortunately *knock on wood* I've avoided any scratches. I do note that it's a tight fit( maybe that's due to the aforementioned paper lining), is that normal or should it be pretty loose?

My dock has been knocked over twice by my dogs, I've pulled my switch in and out of the dock a bunch of times. Zero scratches. The dock leaves scuff marks but a microfiber cloth along with alcohol free screen cleaner and a little scrubbing takes them right off. I don't and will never put a screen protector on the switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom