• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dehnus

Holy shit, what a morning.

Last night on iStock I saw the nearby Target stock some units, so I wanted to try the early morning.

I show up before they opened, and there's one lady already there. Okay, no big deal. Turns out she had a friend wandering around the shopping center, though, so that's two.

Another guy shows up, still another half hour to go before opening. He looks like he could be a GAFfer, just there trying to get one like me. I hope they have them...

Then the original lady is joined by FOUR more people, all of them trying to gently assert themselves ahead of us in this non existent line. I'm like 99% sure this is a group of scalpers.

So the doors open and we calmly make a dash for the electronics counter. As I cut through the children's section to get ahead, I see someone in the corner of my eye Anime Running down the central path, so we all start running.

I made it to the counter first, but ended up fourth in line after we found where to actually line up. I've never had to make a Black Friday style mad dash like that, not even for a launch PS2. And the scalpers are definitely out there, getting most of the stock in this case.

I REALLY hope Nintendo will ramp up production so fast that these bastards are left with gigantic stock. Anybody that takes a toy from a kid (as Gaming in essence, from Electronic to board gaming, are toys/games for us as humans to enjoy), should suffer in my book. Yes games can be art, and games be for adults, but Games are also toys. And if you keep a toy from a child, you are less than a human being to me

Sorry for the "feels", I just really don't like scalpers. Also Wish Nintendo did more against them, as it is a continuous problem for them (From Amiibos to NES Mini). Maybe enforce a 1 object per person thing for the first year.

Terrell

Some stock flooded into my local Wal-Mart. 3 greys and 3 neons were left. It's the first re-stock I've seen in a long time.

marmoka

Banned
I'm looking for a Neon Blue-Red Switch for September. But wanting to have it by August if possible.

I've been looking at different retailers' websites in Spain: Fnac, Corte Ingles, Game, Media Markt,... I had the curiosity to see how the stock situation is right now, and they all have to blue-red model sold out. Only grey models are available, but I don't want that one.

It's also out of stock in Amazon ES. I saw in Amazon UK that they would get more stock in the second half of July, and same in Amazon FR or Amazon DE. I finally decided to book the blue-red model in Amazon ES, and receive it once they have some stock. I looks like we have to move to get that model, otherwise it runs out of stock in hours. I hope to get it before the end of July, haha.

klier

NEVER have I seen a Switch in stores yet. The only ones I saw are some display units showing off the TV mode, tablet mode and Portable mode.

I got mine on launch day I I'm cool :D

klier

US.

GAF is too US focused, guys.

In Europe, outside of UK and Fr, there is no shortage (Italy here).

I mean, literally no shortage of units

New big lots will arrive in US, maybe next year.

For now, resist the pain... or buy it from Europe.

LOL what are you talking about? Italy is not all of Europe.

sensui-tomo

saw 2 neon switches at my local meijer here in michigan last night. Last time i saw switches in stock was during MK8's release (at best buy... cause they had a huge restock that week(unlike that NES classic which the store only received a few units) and before that when it actually launched.

Bahlor

LOL what are you talking about? Italy is not all of Europe.

Well it's the same for Germany though. Can order it on every major site and found a few units in almost every store. Only had problems getting additional joycons. MediaMarkt only had the new ones in stock and they didn't know when they will get new black or red/blue ones again.

Irminsul

Well it's the same for Germany though. Can order it on every major site and found a few units in almost every store. Only had problems getting additional joycons. MediaMarkt only had the new ones in stock and they didn't know when they will get new black or red/blue ones again.

If you take a look at Saturn's website, the neon version is available at roughly 10% of their retail stores: http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_nintendo-switch-neon-rot-neon-blau-2221517.html

The grey version is available nowhere, not even online: http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_nintendo-switch-grau-2221515.html

Also, the grey version goes for a smooth 75 € extra on Amazon.

Probably due to very low shipments but I haven't been able to buy one in Portugal (Lisbon), in-store or online. Only saw a used grey one being sold at 380€ at CEX so I decided to just wait a bit, backlog is too big as it is.

Still on topic of how much Nintendo sucks at making money, I saw a NES mini being sold for 150€ on that same store. But I'm sure keeping it on the shelves would cannibalise their VC business on Switch, so it's probably a smart business idea.

Oh. Right.

Bahlor

If you take a look at Saturn's website, the neon version is available at roughly 10% of their retail stores: http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_nintendo-switch-neon-rot-neon-blau-2221517.html

The grey version is available nowhere, not even online: http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_nintendo-switch-grau-2221515.html

Okay grey one is a bit harder to get, that's right. But you can easily get a colored one. At least around frankfurt.

Shiggy

Sorry, the online availability tracker is not working correctly for both mediamarkt.de and saturn.de (it's quite often not accurate).

Availability of neon consoles at Saturn in Hamburg according to their website:
screenshot2017-06-19a0iu4z.png

When they actually are available:

F34R

If there's anyone within an hour or so from Augusta GA, I have two (grey/neon) that I held for friends that bailed on me. Retail/sales tax price. I know the stock is bad. Haven't seen any beyond the occasional bundles at Gamestop and the flurry at Best Buy a month or so ago.

I got one yesterday morning from Best Buy! This is what worked for me yesterday in Grapevine, TX (Dallas-area) and my friend in El Paso, TX last week. Obviously your mileage my vary, but it's worth a shot at least.

On Saturday I went in to the store and asked if they were going to get any on Sunday. I was told that they can't say definitively yes or no, but that if I showed up 1~1.5 hours early it would be a "pretty safe bet". They opened at 11am, I got there at 9:30, lined up at 9:50, first in line! At 10:50 they came out and said they only had 2 in stock and gave us tickets. There were 2 others who had to leave empty handed (but at least they didn't wait very long). Last week they had 12 in stock, and the week before in El Paso there were def more than 2, so quantity seems like random luck. However getting information from employees appears possible!

Good Switch hunting to everyone! Don't forget to also use those stock trackers! Hope this helps someone out.

HvySky

5AM this morning my iStock notification went off saying that two of the three Targets in my city would have stock when they opened at 8AM. I couldn't get out of work even for a little bit so my buddy whom was also going to buy a Switch went instead. All sold out within 5 minutes. Just missed them.

Fuck.

Yes, which to be 'fair' is MSRP for both items. It's just that you can easily find the card for less than that.

Isn't that 64 GB card like 20$? They are charging almost $30 extra. Then there is $20 shipping. And I have 0 interest in ARMS. So I will be spending around $100 extra. Damn.

GrybuySlon

Neo Member
Got notification that Albany Capital District Targets would have a few. Had to go into work so forced wife to go...

They opened at 8 am and had 8 units, 3 blue/5 gray. by 8:30am when I called they were down to 1 blue and 2 gray. Wife rushed down and got the last blue, while checking out 3 more people lined up, this is 9:20am. The guy behind her got the last gray...this thing is crazy. You need to be watching like a hawk.

THE END!

Isn't that 64 GB card like 20$? They are charging almost $30 extra. Then there is $20 shipping. And I have 0 interest in ARMS. So I will be spending around $100 extra. Damn.
I wouldn't recommend getting it like that. Is there by any chance a Best Buy near you or anything? I was finally able to get my Switch from a local Best Buy and the workers there told me they get new shipments often enough. Granted, I went when they opened but they don't open super early, thankfully

I wouldn't recommend getting it like that. Is there by any chance a Best Buy near you or anything? I was finally able to get my Switch from a local Best Buy and the workers there told me they get new shipments often enough. Granted, I went when they opened but they don't open super early, thankfully

Yeah I have a best buy near me. Around a mile away only. Will check it in the evening.
Damn I am kicking myself for not buying Switch at Walmart around a month ago. Few consoles were on the shelf but I didn't buy because I had just bought PS VR. Never expected stock situation to continue on and on. Pathetic really. I was planning to go to Nintendo World today but NYC forecast is bad. NYC traffic in rain is a nightmare.

Can't believe it's still this hard to find them at retail.

reminding me off the wii shortages. I got the last neon one from Target on Friday. Wanted grey but no luck. Will hold it for a bit to see if I can find a grey, if I can't guess I'll keep this one.

DZ_b_EZ

I got one yesterday morning from Best Buy! This is what worked for me yesterday in Grapevine, TX (Dallas-area) and my friend in El Paso, TX last week. Obviously your mileage my vary, but it's worth a shot at least.

On Saturday I went in to the store and asked if they were going to get any on Sunday. I was told that they can't say definitively yes or no, but that if I showed up 1~1.5 hours early it would be a "pretty safe bet". They opened at 11am, I got there at 9:30, lined up at 9:50, first in line! At 10:50 they came out and said they only had 2 in stock and gave us tickets. There were 2 others who had to leave empty handed (but at least they didn't wait very long). Last week they had 12 in stock, and the week before in El Paso there were def more than 2, so quantity seems like random luck. However getting information from employees appears possible!

Good Switch hunting to everyone! Don't forget to also use those stock trackers! Hope this helps someone out.

DallasGAF reporting in! I've also spotted some a couple times while visiting a nearby Movie Trading Company. Lady told me last time, they usually get ANY amount in on Fridays. I almost bought one but they force you to buy two games with it. Wasn't worth it for me, but maybe for someone else.

LowSignal

See a few last weekend at multiple best buys sitting behind the front counter and also a small stack by the Nintendo stuff at a diffrent BB. My local Gamestop had some yesterday so I feel like stock is becoming better but online retailers are still forcing bundles.

Anybody in Orlando know where to look to find a Switch?

I got mine at launch but my sister is looking to pick one up now. I haven't seen one in the wild since I got it at launch at Wal-Mart in Apopka.

Spent the past two weeks trying to snag one in the Chicago area. Most inventory sites show false-positives because whoever does inventory around here at the Wal-mart's must suck. Was tracking a ton of stores within a two hour radius and still couldn't get to one in time or if I did show up they couldn't find it/didn't believe one had come in.

On my way to visit family over the weekend I randomly checked a Target at the Iowa/Illinois border in the quad cities. It had been showing inventory for the entire two weeks so I assumed it was an error. Nope. Four Switches just sitting there.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wife was trying to get me one for Fathers day and had no luck at all of the major stores around here.

She almost got some ridiculous bundle at QVC but I told her that they were stupidly overcharging.

Eventually one will show up..

Crazy to think we walked past some a few months back at Target and didn't think twice about it.

moeman

So how Accurate is IStocknow when it comes to gamestop? Because shows one nearby me have the gray bundle?

In my experience the only retailer iStockNow has been 100% accurate with is Target. I saw 4 units pop up at a local target and I when I went exactly 4 systems were in stock. All other retailers (especially Walmart, GameStop, and Frys) have been a crapshoot.

RBH

Spent the past two weeks trying to snag one in the Chicago area. Most inventory sites show false-positives because whoever does inventory around here at the Wal-mart's must suck. Was tracking a ton of stores within a two hour radius and still couldn't get to one in time or if I did show up they couldn't find it/didn't believe one had come in.

On my way to visit family over the weekend I randomly checked a Target at the Iowa/Illinois border in the quad cities. It had been showing inventory for the entire two weeks so I assumed it was an error. Nope. Four Switches just sitting there.

¯_(ツ)_/¯
I'm also in the Chicago area and it's been frustrating to deal with the false positives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom