• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Lurv

Got an email from Gamestop; my ship-to-store Switch bundle I ordered on July 4th was "erroneously" cancelled. I'm on hold with Gamestop CSR right now. I spent about $400 in store credit to pick up that bundle, I'll be pissed if that credit vanishes into the ether.

Edit: got off phone, a new order was made. I feel like I've been sent to the back of the line though in terms of order shipping. /Sigh

Nelo Ice

Banned
Huh, guy I talked to said otherwise.

I just went in store and asked to preorder the online bundle. Associate asked if I wanted the cheapest shipping option for free and that was that. Pretty sure it's company policy since I've seen other Gaffers mention doing that hence why I pre ordered the online bundle in store.

USMC43

Banned
Got an email from Gamestop; my ship-to-store Switch bundle I ordered on July 4th was "erroneously" cancelled. I'm on hold with Gamestop CSR right now. I spent about $400 in store credit to pick up that bundle, I'll be pissed if that credit vanishes into the ether.

Edit: got off phone, a new order was made. I feel like I've been sent to the back of the line though in terms of order shipping. /Sigh

Same exact thing happened to me, I never got a shipping notification so growing suspicious, I called. And good thing I did, my order was also "erroneously" cancelled. They replaced the order this afternoon but just came home to find out this new order was also cancelled. On hold now...

I fucking hate Gamestop too and haven't shopped there in years. Of course this happens the ONE time....

Nelo Ice

Banned
How long is that shipping?

Well don't think the switch bundles are available for ship to store so mine is shipping to my house. It shipped on Wed and is scheduled to arrive next Tuesday. I ordered it on Monday this week. And it was originally scheduled to ship today.

Ex-Psych

That sucks but at least you didn't lose all that credit.

robrueda

I got one from amazon today at MSRP. But then I came to my senses I decided to cancel the order.

The highest rated games for the Switch right now are Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 DX and Shovel Knight. All of which Already own on Wii U. So I figure out it was best to let someone else have it now and wait for the SNES Classic that have a ton of games I wanna play. Hope that "retail god" is not mad at me for canceling my order and won't let me SNES on September

Izayoi

Banned
The scalpers win, I need one for my wife before Splatoon 2 and it looks like it just isn't going to happen through a traditional retail channel. ;_;

I got one from amazon today at MSRP. But then I came to my senses I decided to cancel the order.

The highest rated games for the Switch right now are Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8 DX and Shovel Knight. All of which Already own on Wii U. So I figure out it was best to let someone else have it now and wait for the SNES Classic that have a ton of games I wanna play. Hope that "retail god" is not mad at me for canceling my order and won't let me SNES on September
You realize that be cancelling you are not, in fact, letting someone else have it? You are likely giving it directly to a scalper with a bot set up.

If you are considering cancelling your order, you should instead offer it to a real person in here or in the BST thread.

Velikost

Huh, guy I talked to said otherwise.

I guess it depends on the employee. I ordered one earlier this week in store for free, and had it shipped to the store instead of my house as well, because I didn't want $500 worth of shit sitting on my doorstep while I was at work.

The same employee also told me I could return the stuff from the bundle if I just wanted the console, despite the website saying you can't. Just wish they would've had that ARMS bundle up when I ordered, cause mine includes the Zelda DLC, and you can't return that.

You realize that be cancelling you are not, in fact, letting someone else have it? You are likely giving it directly to a scalper with a bot set up.

If you are considering cancelling your order, you should instead offer it to a real person in here or in the BST thread.

Why would you expect them to go through the added effort and tie up their funds for something they don't want...

iStockNow came through in the clutch. Got a notification that Target got some in, and I was able to pick one up no sweat. There were three left when I got there (with someone else getting one right after I did). This was 10am too, couple of hours after the store opened.

Just glad the hard part's over.

Another fun tidbit I learned while visiting GameStop to place a preorder on the Splatoon Pro Controller: Some GameStops are classifed as Prestige locations, and those are the only stores that end up getting Switches in stock (aka avoiding the bundle nonsense). The GameStop I frequent happens to be one of these, and they were the only GameStop in the area that has gotten a Switch shipment in the last two months. This also explains why they had so many BotW Amiibos with the restock.

So if you have multiple GameStops in your area, try to find one that's a "Prestige" location, then make that one your home store.

NoKisum

Recently, I've been trying to get my girlfriend a Switch after she fell in love with mine, but just about every Gamestop in a 50 mile radius seems to be barren of them. But the other day, miraculously, she walked into a Best Buy near her and they had a Neon Switch just sitting there. Obviously, we scooped it up. Now we can play Mario Kart together on our own systems!

Thank god I didn't give into the GS forced bundles. Like the above post said, The grey console is on sale again for Prime members snagged one, it'll be here on Wednesday. What case is everyone loving/using from amazon? I plan on traveling with it to work in my backpack. Thanks!

klaushm

Thank god I didn't give into the GS forced bundles. Like the above post said, The grey console is on sale again for Prime members snagged one, it'll be here on Wednesday. What case is everyone loving/using from amazon? I plan on traveling with it to work in my backpack. Thanks!

If you want a case for your switch only:
Orzly Carry Case Compatible With Nintendo Switch - BLACK Protective Hard Portable Travel Carry Case Shell Pouch for Nintendo Switch Console & Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAUKS62/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can put your Switch, extra Joy-Cons, cables and games. It is comfortable and sturdy. This does seems like the best option, if you only wish to transport the Switch.
See the video review at the Amazon page.

If you want something to carry your whole switch, or more controllers and accessories (my personal favorite):
Nintendo Switch Game Traveler Deluxe System Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N23OP50/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has space for your Switch, the dock, pro controller, a charging grip, cables and comes with 2 game card holders(4 spaces each). You can even fit an extra pair of Joy-Cons in there.
The quality and padding is great. You will feel very confident with it. The only thing I dislike about it, is how you carry it(my pet peeve).
See the review video at the Amazon page.

If you want to carry your Switch and some accessories comfortably I'd recommend this:
PowerA Switch Everywhere Messenger Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N22YAIP/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is a bag you can carry over the shoulders. It can carry your Switch, cables, dock and a really small space for your pro controller, but extra Joy-Cons fit just right. It also has space at the back for more cables or extra controllers, if you wish. It also has a small case for the Switch only.
The two points I don't like about it is that, comparing with the other two cases, it does not feel as safe and doesn't have something to hold your games. The latter is easy to resolve, but the former is a bummer for me. It's not as sturdy and lacks padding.
But it's really more comfortable and is a two-in-one (bag+case) carry option.

Zedark

Ah I meant to link the really cheap new ones though third party seller.
Those 16 or 23 dollar pro controllers are phishing scams, don't buy them (you can see that the acounts selling them just launched, always a reason to be careful). Probably same for joy-cons that are way under MSRP. Much more time has to pass before the products go significantly under MSRP without being a scam.
So worst case would be me getting refunded?
And them having some of your personal information like home address, email and other contact data to put towards unsavory practices.

Renna Hazel

So worst case would be me getting refunded?

Yeah, as long as Amazon offers the Z-A guarantee (which they do for the top merchant) your order should be protected. Just be aware that many of these scam channels with ask you to E-mail them to complete your order then tell you to finish your transaction on a fake Amazon look-alike page that they link you to in an E-mail. Don't do that.

SlickVic

Hope Amazon has some more Switches to sell this week, now that they've had some to sell the last 2 days. I wound up getting a decent bit of Amazon gift card credit in my account today (after they sold out of their stock for today) so next time they have it in stock I'll be ready.

If you want a case for your switch only:
Orzly Carry Case Compatible With Nintendo Switch - BLACK Protective Hard Portable Travel Carry Case Shell Pouch for Nintendo Switch Console & Accessories https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAUKS62/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You can put your Switch, extra Joy-Cons, cables and games. It is comfortable and sturdy. This does seems like the best option, if you only wish to transport the Switch.
See the video review at the Amazon page.

If you want something to carry your whole switch, or more controllers and accessories (my personal favorite):
Nintendo Switch Game Traveler Deluxe System Case https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N23OP50/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It has space for your Switch, the dock, pro controller, a charging grip, cables and comes with 2 game card holders(4 spaces each). You can even fit an extra pair of Joy-Cons in there.
The quality and padding is great. You will feel very confident with it. The only thing I dislike about it, is how you carry it(my pet peeve).

If you want to carry your Switch and some accessories comfortably I'd recommend this:
PowerA Switch Everywhere Messenger Bag https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N22YAIP/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It is a bag you can carry over the shoulders. It can carry your Switch, cables, dock and a really small space for your pro controller, but extra Joy-Cons fit just right. It also has space at the back for more cables or extra controllers, if you wish. It also has a small case for the Switch only.
The two points I don't like about it is that, comparing with the other two cases, it does not feel as safe and doesn't have something to hold your games. The latter is easy to resolve, but the former is a bummer for me. It's not as sturdy and lacks padding.
But it's really more comfortable and is a two-in-one (bag+case) carry option.

Nice post! I ended up with the Orzly case without even checking your recommendations so I lucked out. Im a fan of the pocket in the back so I can store my usb c battery bank in it. Wednesday can't come soon enough!

Type2

I'm going to head down to the Amazon bookstore in Tuesday to get myself one since it seems like my best chance for getting it at msrp.
I haven't been using a stock checker for online orders though so any recommendations?

randome

Found one with the fun colored controllers at the store today but I don't want one so it's still there. Are they still rare?

TheFatMan

I feel like Nintendo is starting to catch up with demand. Not everywhere, but in a lot of places.

I've gone into my local Wal-Mart 3 times in the last two weeks and seen several on the shelf there. This is in Colorado by the way.

I even picked one up.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I feel like Nintendo is starting to catch up with demand. Not everywhere, but in a lot of places.

I've gone into my local Wal-Mart 3 times in the last two weeks and seen several on the shelf there. This is in Colorado by the way.

I even picked one up.

Agreed. They seem to be available pretty often here in South Florida, you just have to be on top of it. I doubt it's like that in the more rural areas.

klaushm

Nice post! I ended up with the Orzly case without even checking your recommendations so I lucked out. Im a fan of the pocket in the back so I can store my usb c battery bank in it. Wednesday can't come soon enough!

Thanks. I, for instance, bought the second one.
I'll would be better for when I visit my family in another state or taking a full setup to another place.

And I'm so glad that GS was giving me an error with that bundle. Thanks to that I could get the accessories I wanted an still be able to buy all three games for less from Amazon.

namabiiru

istocknow is pretty legit. Saw that Target had some in the morning. Went over there when they opened. Bought one before they were even on the shelves. Praise be to Michigan.

ReaperXL7

iStockNow came through in the clutch. Got a notification that Target got some in, and I was able to pick one up no sweat. There were three left when I got there (with someone else getting one right after I did). This was 10am too, couple of hours after the store opened.

Just glad the hard part's over.

Another fun tidbit I learned while visiting GameStop to place a preorder on the Splatoon Pro Controller: Some GameStops are classifed as Prestige locations, and those are the only stores that end up getting Switches in stock (aka avoiding the bundle nonsense). The GameStop I frequent happens to be one of these, and they were the only GameStop in the area that has gotten a Switch shipment in the last two months. This also explains why they had so many BotW Amiibos with the restock.

So if you have multiple GameStops in your area, try to find one that's a "Prestige" location, then make that one your home store.

Not that I'm doubting you necessarily but how likely is a store to actually tell you if they are considered a "Prestige" store?
That doesn't seem like the type of thing that they should be sharing with random customers.

I was hoping IstockNow would work for me but I've called every GameStop near me that the site has said had switches and they have all told me that they haven't had any in stock for awhile, it's possible the clerks are lying but why would they? Going to have to keep an ear to the ground for news of if or when an actual restock is coming and hope they don't continue to increase the price on these damn bundles. This is definitely one of those times I wish I still had friends that worked at GS.

Man, Fuck Gamestop.

Instead of just selling the Switch console, they force you into pre-ordering some of their insanely expensive bundles. It's basically scalping.

Zedark

Man, Fuck Gamestop.

Instead of just selling the Switch console, they force you into pre-ordering some of their insanely expensive bundles. It's basically scalping.

That's basically why they're going down (in part), though. They're screwing themselves over as well.

Man, Fuck Gamestop.

It's not scalping. Every system would be gone in minutes if they didn't bundle them.

On one hand, it sucks, because you might have to purchase a couple items you don't want. On the other hand, it actually deters scalpers, as they just want to sell the system for a big markup and not have to worry about unloading the other stuff. I don't believe GS charges more for their bundles than if you bought the items separately. GS obviously benefits as well, but many of their bundles are actually decent.

On one hand, it sucks. On the other hand, it actually deters scalpers. I don't believe GS charges more for their bundles than if you bought the items separately.

You end up being stuck with a bunch of shit you absolutely do not want. You have to waste time trying to sell these games and accessories that came bundled. And let's be honest, you're not going to sell them at the same price for what you just paid for them.

It's just as bad as scalping.

You end up being stuck with a bunch of shit you absolutely do not want. You have to waste time trying to sell these games and accessories that came bundled. And let's be honest, you're not going to sell them at the same price for what you just paid for them.

It's just as bad as scalping.

I'm looking at the three bundles they have on their site right now. They're all fine and I don't believe you're being overcharged for any of them. The "Ultimate Fan Bundle" is great. Everything in it is worth buying. The second one is good as well. I probably wouldn't buy the third one, but it's priced fairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom