• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how bad is the Switch stock situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

The degree with which the hardware seemed to be coming in hot kept me off preordering. Wanted to hear lots of impressions of it in the wild before I made a decision.

Also if Zelda had been not stupendous there wouldn't have been anything to play.

thatJohann

Can I ask a question that may appear to be a bit snarky but isn't intended to be?

Why didn't you guys pre-order? You post on here, you know the rules of the game for new consoles. Or were you surprised by the positive feedback (I was too but I had a pre-order in place in case I needed it fortunately)?

I wasn't interested until a) saw Zelda's reviews b) realized how handy a Switch would be for my weekends away at the BF's house (instead of lugging my PS4 Pro)

Nintendo hardware is represented at my Walmart by a single Mario Kart 2DS.

It's pathetic.
Exactly the same at pretty much every store here. I'm sure Nintendo has gotten a little gun-shy with the horrible launch of the Wii U, which was the last time I can remember seeing a significant amount of Nintendo hardware in one place.
I guess the hype was pretty-low key until the Zelda impressions started coming in and then it was too late
The Switch was always an appealing concept to me, honestly, but when they had that Nindies presentation a few weeks ago, I knew I had to get one.

DavidDesu

Still find it bizarre I could preorder one from Argos just a couple of days before release (Zelda hype did it for me) yet there's tons of people, mostly in the states, still struggling to find it.

Can I ask a question that may appear to be a bit snarky but isn't intended to be?

Why didn't you guys pre-order? You post on here, you know the rules of the game for new consoles. Or were you surprised by the positive feedback (I was too but I had a pre-order in place in case I needed it fortunately)?

I had preorders and decided to get rid of them because Zelda was the only game available. I didn't think it'd be some incredible masterpiece that I needed to play immediately. Then I played it on a friend's Switch last weekend and suddenly it was 3 hours later. I'm not in a desperate scramble to get one, but if I come across one, I'm buying it immediately.

Because amazon was the only retailer that didn't open up Neon pre-orders after the conference.

J2Qtamr.png

2 weeks

I didn't have the money when pre-orders were going up, and at that time I wasn't sure if I wanted one. Too much was unknown about the system until like a week before it launched, at which point it was too late to pre-order anywhere.

Javier

You can still find some Switches here in Chile when you walk into some stores (Microplay and WePlay still have stock, Zmart is sold out completely), which is not too surprising given how expensive it is (around $520 without factoring any extras).

Curiously, the Neon Switch is sold out everywhere. Only Grey ones are in stock.

another day, another .01% chance of finding a Switch. *eye roll*

I have my NYC Prime Now auto-refresh on. Gunna be a long day

I had a pre-order but had to sell it do to unplanned life events. I took the route of responsibility.

ssjChris

Neo Member
My Walmart had four in yesterday afternoon, but only Grays. Give a Nintendo console a little color and people flock to that one the most.

I didn't preorder because my Wife insisted on buying it for me, as a sort of present. Trouble is I was/still am a bit, afraid of a Wii U situation, where the library of games is small, great, but ultimately lacking. Also, since she insists on paying for it, I wanted to initially wait till I'd actually have use of it. I wanted to wait until at least Splatoon 2 was out, that way then I'd have a couple games to play it with and maybe would have worked even further through my backlog. I didn't want her to feel like her gift was unappreciated.

But I also didn't expect it to sell so well early on, and now I'm a tad afraid of another Wii situation where the console is near impossible to get for the next several months. I don't check quite as fervently as some, and I'm okay with missing a restock or two, but I'd hate to just twiddle my thumbs and discover, unhappily, several months later that a Switch is still impossible to obtain.

mclem

Welp, put an order in on the Nintendo UK store for a grey Switch, Zelda and a Pro controller under the assumption it would be a few weeks before stock gets in. But it's now saying the controller and Zelda have been dispatched (obviously more surprised about the controller there) with the console itself "awaiting stock pick" with an estimated dispatch date of today. Or is the awaiting stock pick just a standard placeholder thing?

I think "Awaiting Stock Pick" simply means "We have a unit earmarked for you, but we haven't put it in the bucket yet".

DESTROYA

So as far as we can tell GameStop and Target will get more units Tuesday/Wednesday?
Really hate GS because there GS and the bundle bull but I definitely can hit a target early morning.
Working hours have me scrambling to Target just because it opens early and late.

Newline

I finally managed to order a switch here in the UK. Asda has it in stock for click and collect from my local store in London. They didn't have Zelda but Tesco Direct did for 48 quid (cheaper than my current amazon order). Should be able to pick them both up tomorrow.

These Zelda reviews have been killing me.

bachikarn

Yet your post doesn't shine an iota of a light on the manufacturing process.

Not really sure how you plan 1 shipment for launch and leave it at that for 3 weeks. Then again Nintendo is obviously new to the hardware business as it's a reoccurring theme for them.

How do you know there has only been one shipment? The Targets in my area quickly sold out, but all of them got another shipment the next day. That's how I snagged one after Amazon fucked me over.

My Walmart had four in yesterday afternoon, but only Grays. Give a Nintendo console a little color and people flock to that one the most.

Pretty sure the Grays are way more popular.

With Persona 5 only 2 weeks away I bit the bullet and gave my switch to my niece since her pre order never came.

I guess I'll wait until the summer. What a bummer after putting 20 hours into Zelda.

If Zelda didn't have the amazing reviews it had, buying a switch would be pointless at this point.

I had no faith in the hype (got one week one without preorder) but once I saw people I trust talking about how great it was I wanted in.

Futureman

Yeah, how in the world are they selling that for $500? 3rd party reseller I guess? That is annoying.

at least I know the zoolerts are working!

I think I'll try a few retail stores this week. After that I dunno, I may just temporarily give up and wait until I can order one online.

at least I know the zoolerts are working!

I think I'll try a few retail stores this week. After that I dunno, I may just temporarily give up and wait until I can order one online.

True, although I am sad to see those sold out... those were just normal stock it seems (no fancy bundle). That is an insane price to pay...

Seems there was a big re-stock on Targets on the West Coast. Meanwhile, NYC is dry.

s4nCCbc.png

Well I broke down and bought one online... paid within my pain tolerance lol. I don't have time this week to go to stores (work is insane all the sudden) so I would rather have one by this weekend (with shipping) than wait mid April... I hope you get one for a good price!

thatJohann

Well I broke down and bought one online... paid within my pain tolerance lol. I don't have time this week to go to stores (work is insane all the sudden) so I would rather have one by this weekend (with shipping) than wait mid April... I hope you get one for a good price!

Gotcha, which color did you get?

Neoweee

If Zelda didn't have the amazing reviews it had, buying a switch would be pointless at this point.

I had no faith in the hype (got one week one without preorder) but once I saw people I trust talking about how great it was I wanted in.

If Zelda wasn't a hell of a game, Nintendo or other publishers would have had other games available at launch. There's bunch of April/May games by choice, not because they weren't ready for March dates.

Dalto11

Looks like my Walmart has 7 gray ones in. Judging by the previous reserved until April stock that should mean they have 3 on the self. No neons in stock, just reporting limited stock with a quantity of 0. Glad I ordered my Neon from Amazon Spain. Wednesday needs to get here.

WGMBY

Brickseek was showing the WalMart down the road as having 10 of them, but when I called the store they said they hadn't seen any in quite a while, and they had no idea when they would be getting more in. Guy on the phone for Target was more helpful, told me they're expecting them to be received on Thursday, though he doesn't know if it will be in the morning or at night, or how many units they're getting. Guess that's going to be my best shot.

This is in Boston MA BTW.

Kandinsky

You can still find some Switches here in Chile when you walk into some stores (Microplay and WePlay still have stock, Zmart is sold out completely), which is not too surprising given how expensive it is (around $520 without factoring any extras).

Curiously, the Neon Switch is sold out everywhere. Only Grey ones are in stock.

Yup, too expensive. I hope by late June this thing is available and easy to get as I'm planing a trip to NYC at that time >_>

I finally played with one of these yesterday. So slick, but way smaller than I thought it'd be! Will definitely require a pro controller when I pick this up whenever Nintendo decides to make more.

1-2 Switch was more fun than I expected. Also Zelda on the Switch felt so correct.

I finally managed to order a switch here in the UK. Asda has it in stock for click and collect from my local store in London. They didn't have Zelda but Tesco Direct did for 48 quid (cheaper than my current amazon order). Should be able to pick them both up tomorrow.

These Zelda reviews have been killing me.

Which Asda is this?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Anyone been to the Nintendo store today? Looking to pick up a Pro controller but not sure if they still have them in stock. Last time I called them, they said yes, I get there and they say "no, we've been sold out for a few days". I JUST CALLED, YOU ASSHATS.

thatJohann

Anyone been to the Nintendo store today? Looking to pick up a Pro controller but not sure if they still have them in stock. Last time I called them, they said yes, I get there and they say "no, we've been sold out for a few days". I JUST CALLED, YOU ASSHATS.

i didn't even know Nintendo World NYC answered their phones, last time i called I just got an automated message with store hours. Anyway, last week they had tons of Pro controllers on shelves. Not sure today tho

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
i didn't even know Nintendo World NYC answered their phones, last time i called I just got an automated message with store hours. Anyway, last week they had tons of Pro controllers on shelves. Not sure today tho

Wouldn't it be funny if I called the wrong store? I was calling around so it is possible. Maybe I owe them an apology.

RedFox85

My amazon.es order (Neon) has shipped! Super excited, I will keep it updated here for anyone else curious about going the ES route.

Someone posted a picture earlier with a pretty well stocked rack

causan

Just picked up a grey one here at Target. I was surprised I was the first one sold today and they still have 9 more left. Hmm, I wonder if I should pick up another just in case?

Vitacat

I returned an extra unopened Switch to Walmart, figuring someone would be glad to get it. The women working customer services ripped into it and tossed everything under the assumption I was some kind of scammer. When they were done it didn't look fit to buy.

That's sad. Too bad you didn't offer it here on GAF to someone looking for one. :-( But I get it, you thought someone else would snag it at Walmart.

I just grabbed the last Switch console they had at my local EB Games in Toronto. So it seems most EB Games got a shipment today but are selling out fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom