• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I got a package from Superbot in the mail this morning

lupinko

The BOMBA of PSASBR must have hit Superbot hard. The last fan that wrote a story got 3 shirts, PS3 and 3 games. I bet your Vita isn't even signed!

664544_4690368144500_1452404158_o.jpg

Where do we send our letters to for free swag? I want free swag.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Meanwhile, hey_it's_that_dog has been posting about Capcom and their amazing GOTY 2005 Resident Evil 4 for years now, unabated. :p

Preposterous. Your accusations are hurtful and bring tears to my eyes.

Speaking of tears, have you heard about Capcom's latest installment in the hallowed Devil May Cry series? I can't wait to buy it on January 15th, 2013 for my PS3 and Xbox360 computer entertainment systems.

Preorder now and receive Vergil's Downfall DLC free!

Preposterous. Your accusations are hurtful and bring tears to my eyes.

Speaking of tears, have you heard about Capcom's latest installment in the hallowed Devil May Cry series? I can't wait to buy it on January 15th, 2013 for my PS3 and Xbox360 computer entertainment systems.

Preorder now and receive Vergil's Downfall DLC free!

You do understand that if you continue this you will get a package containing DMC:Devil May Cry and Resident Evil 6 right?

Tony the Amazon rep was perma banned here for suggesting that we should do something really similar to that. So if it does happen it's been kept secret pretty well..

Wow, Tony was permabanned?

What a shame, he was incredibly dedicated to the community. Hopefully he'll come back one day. He actually helped me out by PM a couple of months back and I was surprised at how nice he was.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
As cool as it is for SuperBot to do this, it opens the gates for swag 'encouraging' hype, which is a shame.

Some of these posts...

"where's my free swag?", "you're now some marketing schill", etc. Really?!?!?!

Grats to the original poster for displaying/sharing his experience, without expecting anything in return. The developer was moved, felt inspired and charitable - which is very commendable. The selfish responses on display really have no place (even if joking, it's rude and crass and lacks any taste.), especially during the holiday season, which is about selflessness, giving and humanity (I'm not religious, so I'll leave it at that).

Super bot and Clock, good going on paying it forward and sincerely showing appreciation. It's warming to see fans taken care of, just for being a fan. Kudos to all!

Enjoy the Vita - its boss. Thanks for showing gratitude with your pics - its neat to see and hear such awesome appreciation ^_^

Ploid 3.0

Grats, and that post you made was a great read. My parents was more willing to let us play games. I had NES, SNES, then all Playstation from there. Most of my memories are from Playstation stuff, and the idea that none of the characters are memorable enough to warrant this type of game is poppycock.

What am I supposed to do with Evil Cole's tickle sparks? It freezes me and the opponent if I'm lucky enough to hit them enough times with it. Usually it just pisses them off.

I am uneasy with developers rewarding GAF posters for praise.

The meat of that post wasn't praise, he was just talking about his history with Playstation, and gaming. I'd like to see a thread about everyone's gaming history from childhood to the present day and I'm sure it'll be a interesting thread. He didn't even have a PS3 to praise the game, only that he wanted a way to play it since he had a history with Playstation.

I don't see why?

People are rewarded with keys to cities, thanks from politicians, rewards in sweepstakes. He wasn't requesting anything in return, a developer felt a sincere appreciation from a loyal fan/customer and acted with charitable goodwill. Its not any different than getting a free drink from Starbucks, because they appreciated a letter....

Alucrid

Banned
your dad sounds pretty cool. i don't really have any memorable stories about when i got games or consoles. i guess i lead a sad unmemorable life. :(

Ploid 3.0

your dad sounds pretty cool. i don't really have any memorable stories about when i got games or consoles. i guess i lead a sad unmemorable life. :(

I started gaming when I was in the hospital. I got those handheld tiger toys, and the hospital had a playroom with NES and Contra! From that point I was hooked.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't see why?

People are rewarded with keys to cities, thanks from politicians, rewards in sweepstakes. He wasn't requesting anything in return, a developer felt a sincere appreciation from a loyal fan/customer and acted with charitable goodwill. Its not any different than getting a free drink from Starbucks, because they appreciated a letter....
What did they send you?

fernoca

I'm also pretty sure some people do get some swag for making OPs
I wish. :p
Mortal Kombat OT...Skylanders OT...
Nothing. Wasn't expecting anything as I made those and that big MK OT because I love MK.

But it was weird how some assumed back then that I received stuff for it.

That aside...nice gesture of Superbot. They're a new team so this might spread around as showing that they care about their fans.

no reason to be uneasy. It's no different than the many threads we had where people explained how they first got into gaming and their journey till now. Only difference is SuperBot was touched by it and gifted him. No reason to overthink the implications and all that. It's just a nice story.

Dude isn't a journalist.

no reason to be uneasy. It's no different than the many threads we had where people explained how they first got into gaming and their journey till now. Only difference is SuperBot was touched by it and gifted him. No reason to overthink the implications and all that. It's just a nice story.

Dude isn't a journalist.

This thread is going to be extremely hostile to this viewpoint, so I don't really want to argue about it, but I'll just say I think it sets an extremely bad precedent.

There's no ethical guidelines that are being violated here (or ethical guidelines for forum posters, period), but it makes me uneasy all the same. I am genuinely unconvinced this does anything but motivate people to be insincere and hyperbolic in their genuflection for future products, which I am guessing means it is a marketing success. But it makes for shitty posting when you can not tell if someone is posting an honest opinion or a contest entry.

If it were me, I would not have posted about it or, having done so, would simply give that stuff to charity.

Normally I'd agree but in this case I think it's okay as they gifted it him for writing a nice personal story not for hyping / promoting their game for them. It doesn't seem like there's any sleazy ulterior motive here, just developers interacting with their fans which is always cool to see.

Dragun619

Mad props to Clockwork & SuperBot team. Any chances you guys gonna sell those shirts?

Sony needs to make merchandise store. Would also love to get a The Last of Us shirt.

DjRoomba

Banned
Do any of the Official Thread creators of new games get swag from companies? I wouldn't be surprised if they do get contacted.

lol why. Is gaf that influential? I dont think a thread of a game is marketing, Im sure everyone would already have been aware of the game. Maybe an Indie company would have motive to do that, but they wouldnt be able to afford to give away swag..

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
This thread is going to be extremely hostile to this viewpoint, so I don't really want to argue about it, but I'll just say I think it sets an extremely bad precedent.

There's no ethical guidelines that are being violated here (or ethical guidelines for forum posters, period), but it makes me uneasy all the same. I am genuinely unconvinced this does anything but motivate people to be insincere and hyperbolic in their genuflection for future products, which I am guessing means it is a marketing success. But it makes for shitty posting when you can not tell if someone is posting an honest opinion or a contest entry.

If it were me, I would not have posted about it or, having done so, would simply give that stuff to charity.

I don't disagree, but again, at least we know about it. I mean if someone's going to be dumb enough to blab and brag about this stuff on a humongous forum and risk being made an example in the next thread-of-the-month about industry corruption, sounds good to me. I'll take feeling uneasy (and mildly amused) over being oblivious.

Top Bottom