• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I got a package from Superbot in the mail this morning

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't disagree, but again, at least we know about it. I mean if someone's going to be dumb enough to blab and brag about this stuff on a humongous forum and risk being made an example in the next thread-of-the-month about industry corruption, I'll take feeling uneasy (and mildly amused) over being oblivious.

Oh yikes. Didn't realize sn00zer was part of the industry.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
This thread is going to be extremely hostile to this viewpoint, so I don't really want to argue about it, but I'll just say I think it sets an extremely bad precedent.

There's no ethical guidelines that are being violated here (or ethical guidelines for forum posters, period), but it makes me uneasy all the same. I am genuinely unconvinced this does anything but motivate people to be insincere and hyperbolic in their genuflection for future products, which I am guessing means it is a marketing success. But it makes for shitty posting when you can not tell if someone is posting an honest opinion or a contest entry.

If it were me, I would not have posted about it or, having done so, would simply give that stuff to charity.
Completely agree. Well said.

Skyzard

Banned
Oh yikes. Didn't realize sn00zer was part of the industry.

Being worried about overly-positive posts due to getting free swag is much less likely (common) than posts by fans who love a certain genre/console/publisher/game etc anyway.

I mean ShockingAlberto has a point but I don't think it's one to really worry about at all. Also:

If it were me, I would not have posted about it or, having done so, would simply give that stuff to charity.

;)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Being worried about overly-positive posts due to getting free swag is much less likely (common) than posts by fans who love a certain genre/console/publisher/game etc anyway.

I mean ShockingAlberto has a point but I don't think it's one to really worry about at all. Also:

;)

It's definitely nothing to worry about.

Feep

Banned
Doing random giveaways is absolutely fine, and something tells me in this case that Superbot meant absolutely nothing but goodwill by it, but I do agree that this has some relatively negative consequences for forum discussion. It feels like GAF's visibility across the industry continues to grow, so stuff like this might become more and more common.

Superbot, I think you're super cool. But Evilore might want to address stuff like this, somehow.

It's depressing that the first thing that entered my mind when I saw Snoozer make this thread was that some members were going to spin this kind gesture into something negative. Promplty read through the posts and alas... NeoGaf being true to form.

'Grats to you dude. You Snooz, you don't lose it seems.

It's depressing that the first thing that entered my mind when I saw Snoozer make this thread was that some members were going to spin this kind gesture into something negative. Promplty read through the posts and alas... NeoGaf being true to form.

'Grats to you dude. You Snooz, you don't lose it seems.

Man now that he has a Vita he needs to get PS+
And then he needs to upgrade the memory card for huge ass price
And then he needs to keep paying so that he can play those games
And then he needs to get PStriple and Bravia cause he suddenly has shitload of PS3 games from plus!

Fuckin Sony.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Meh, like SEGA even has anything to send me if I write my equivalent (they can't even afford to ship an arcade cabinet yeah?).

noobasuar

Banned
put me in the camp that's not comfortable with stuff like this happening. And if it does I wouldn't create a thread about it.

SykoTech

sakurai would never do something this cool

That's for sure. Neither would anyone at Capcom.

Seriously awesome thing for them to do. Giveaways are pretty common, but to a guy who just decided to sare some stuff on a whim? Very cool. Always nice to see companies treating their fans well for once. Though between this and the free DLC, Superbot seems to excel at that.

tumblr_m4zc1fMLux1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

Ploid 3.0

One time I had my PS1 stolen along with a lot of my games. I was on my way home from school on a Friday ready to finish up some FF8 goodness. I was on the tail end of that game, arriving in some mansion ready to take on the Sorceress iirc (the first place you show up after you enter her icon on the world map or something. Needed google, Ultimecia's Castle). Later someone was nice and gave me a new Playstation and 3 of the games that was taken, some of the games stolen belonged to a friend, so I was able to give one of his games back.

I accepted dirty gifts :(. My credibility was ruined ever since.

This guy doesn't sound like a Journalist, and even if he was he would probably get free games to review anyway. Sure you can say the games some journalists are sent belong to the company they work for but they get to take them home anyway.

Salsa

Doing random giveaways is absolutely fine, and something tells me in this case that Superbot meant absolutely nothing but goodwill by it, but I do agree that this has some relatively negative consequences for forum discussion. It feels like GAF's visibility across the industry continues to grow, so stuff like this might become more and more common.

Superbot, I think you're super cool. But Evilore might want to address stuff like this, somehow.

this boat

I am in it

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
fuck you Nintendo, 25 years of almost exclusive love thrown at ya and I never got a single thing, not even a bloody chocolate coin

FU

( congrats OP)

WiCkEd_Co

Maybe he posted it because he is very excited about his gift. I know the feeling, this year has been super awesome for me as well. This company that I will not name as they ask me not when the year started has made 2012 a wonderful year for me.

In January they flew my wife and I to Vegas to join them at CES 2012. It was 5days/4nights trip
They bought me a pair of PX5 wireless headphones
Numerous 3D blurays and 2 extra pair of 3D glasses (battery kind)
Just about every major game launch title this year for PS3/Xbox was mailed to me
When I told them not to send me any more PS3 games as my launch PS3 broke they sent me a new PS3 and a $50 psn card
I just received my last package from them last month, it was Halo/Black Ops/Zombie U with a letter telling me its been a great year......imagined that. I should be the one telling them that in a letter.

Point is I understand the OP, everytime I got something new I wanted to tell the world and not to brag but to show that this big company cares for its customers in a way they may have never thought. They never Facebook or tweeted or anything about all the stuff they gave me.

Stuff like this can happen and its just a company being cool with no PR spin on it.

Ploid 3.0

Maybe he posted it because he is very excited about his gift. I know the feeling, this year has been super awesome for me as well. This company that I will not name as they ask me not when the year started has made 2012 a wonderful year for me.

In January they flew my wife and I to Vegas to join them at CES 2012. It was 5days/4nights trip
They bought me a pair of PX5 wireless headphones
Numerous 3D blurays and 2 extra pair of 3D glasses (battery kind)
Just about every major game launch title this year for PS3/Xbox was mailed to me
When I told them not to send me any more PS3 games as my launch PS3 broke they sent me a new PS3 and a $50 psn card
I just received my last package from them last month, it was Halo/Black Ops/Zombie U with a letter telling me its been a great year......imagined that. I should be the one telling them that in a letter.

Point is I understand the OP, everytime I got something new I wanted to tell the world and not to brag but to show that this big company cares for its customers in a way they may have never thought. They never Facebook or tweeted or anything about all the stuff they gave me.

Stuff like this can happen and its just a company being cool with no PR spin on it.

Holy crap omg, grats man... you must have won gamers dream sweepstakes. /bow

WiCkEd_Co

Holy crap omg, grats man... you must have won gamers dream sweepstakes. /bow

No sweepstakes. They just notice me helping other people out on this branch of products they sold and sent me an email....funny thing is I thought it was a scam at first. I was waiting for the "send money via western union" line lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
8 gig card? Sony couldn't splurge to give you a 32 gig card, huh? Clearly, the PSP2 is d00med. :p

Kidding aside that was nice of them to do. Enjoy LBPortable 2. It is a great game.

IrishNinja

You should celebrate with some cans of Mountain Dew and some Doritos

ahaha damn man, coulda sugarcoated it at least

hey, i loved the playing station as well

it had all of my favorite games like smash kangaroo and grave robber and dragon fantasy and tekka fighter and metal gear 3D and ty the tasmanian tiger

...so do i send clockwork my address or what

well at least we know who PM'd him

MM m'man you were bought & paid for long ago, heh

handheld ghetto

but why you wanna go to the boushi party if everyone's at the ghetto one

And now I just got a pm asking for free swag...

:-/

real talk, whoever did this belongs on the GAF wall of shame

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that's really nice of them. I should go pick up All-Stars soon but i need to get a bigger memory card for my Vita first...

marrec

Banned
It's easy to be cynical about this, but screw that. Superior made a great game and a great gesture regardless of scruples.

I can't wait to buy your next game.

/shill

This thread is going to be extremely hostile to this viewpoint, so I don't really want to argue about it, but I'll just say I think it sets an extremely bad precedent.

There's no ethical guidelines that are being violated here (or ethical guidelines for forum posters, period), but it makes me uneasy all the same. I am genuinely unconvinced this does anything but motivate people to be insincere and hyperbolic in their genuflection for future products, which I am guessing means it is a marketing success. But it makes for shitty posting when you can not tell if someone is posting an honest opinion or a contest entry.

You still didn't answer the question originally posted in response to you. Where did the OP praise superbot or the game he received in his original post from another thread?

If it you were, you probably wouldn't have received anything because it seems you're so high up on your perceived high horse not actually making relevant posts that you never would have actually posted anything sincere or warming enough to warrant a second glance.

Hey guys, you're not allowed to enjoy a nice gesture because apparently being a member of GAF and having the right to an opinion means you should be held to the same standard as a journalist. Good to know buddy!

Top Bottom