• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.... I inherited an old Japanese Game Center

Filaipus

Banned
So awesome... Wish I lived there to help haha.

And Chiba is not a small city acording to wikipedia, 1 million people is cool. And if it is near a good place like a train station or bus stops is even better.
In Portugal we only have 1 arcade/bar and it's in the freaking no where. And it is still successful. I would really invest in that.

I am rabid with jealousy.

I have no idea what I would do with this stuff. I don't know if there's ANYTHING to be done with it all. But MAN I wish I had it.

Pikma

Banned
Is turning it into the GAF's equivalent of the Hall of Doom a horrible idea? Because that's what I'd do with it.

So awesome... Wish I lived there to help haha.

And Chiba is not a small city acording to wikipedia, 1 million people is cool. And if it is near a good place like a train station or bus stops is even better.
In Portugal we only have 1 arcade/bar and it's in the freaking no where. And it is still successful. I would really invest in that.
It's not small but holy hell is it boring. Source: I live and work there.

Ulthwe

Congrats OP! You're living the dream! I'll mark the 25th in my calendar to check out the results of the first clean-up.

One question though: what's up with the joystick-less cabinets?
PrBwFGc.jpg

sliceypete

Congrats OP! You're living the dream! I'll mark the 25th in my calendar to check out the results of the first clean-up.

One question though: what's up with the joystick-less cabinets?

those cabinets were used for mahjong games, so they have mahjong control panels on them. I dont think very many made it outside of japan.

sliceypete

That would make sense, though I imagine those could be taken out or replaced with regular control pads?

Yea if everything is wired up jamma (which it should be) then it just plug and play(you can just pop on a different panel). Wish I was over there to help with the inventory sounds like a fun project, Imma deff keep my eye on this thread and best of luck.

zeox

I had originally planned a trip to japan around this time which I decided to postpone. worst decision I've made in a long time it seems. Hope to see tons of pictures and some videos from this whole ordeal!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Has probably been asked, but..... is there no power up there?

FIRST thing i'd have done in that place is power every single thing up.
Not just to see what worked, but to bask in the glow and noise of a functioning arcade.

Nothing is quite like it.

Actually would be a lot smarter to check all of the plugs, outlets etc before doing that as building fires are always fun eh?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Folks what you have here is the future plot for Siren 3...

Remember our sacrifices well when writing reviews please. D:

Smash88

Banned
Never has this image fit so well. (8am here - can't sleep)

After seeing this, I would need some cooling pads as well. God damn.

EiQdIu0.jpg

Has probably been asked, but..... is there no power up there?

FIRST thing i'd have done in that place is power every single thing up.
Not just to see what worked, but to bask in the glow and noise of a functioning arcade.

Nothing is quite like it.

Doing that without opening up every machine to at least clear out the dust would just lead to a lot of fried electronics. Horrible idea.

So, I did some digging:

Turns out my Ace Driver Victory Lap Machine is really rare and worth a lot of money:

http://www.coinopexpress.com/produc...ng_games/Ace_Driver_Victory_Lap_(SD)_543.html

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=6805

I'd warn that sites like coinopexpress don't really reflect the real world value of things. I don't know if they're right in this case but they do tend to inflate their prices above what collectors would actually pay.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I wish I could time travel and bring my future-self living in Japan to this meet-up. Someone needs to make a montage, please.

Top Bottom