• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uh... this week was the 5th Anniversary of Kid Icarus Uprising.

Peltz

I'm going to buy this game just to spite Sapiens.

jeremiah_johnson_nodding-Robert-Redford.gif

Do try to take my advice about the Circle Pad Pro though if possible.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Sakurai is a genius game developer. I would play anything from him.

Fantastic game. Makes me want to see Sakurai work on more challenging single-player action games; he clearly has great potential in that field.

EhoaVash

one of the worst games I ever played

and this makes me sad as I feel the characters have so much potential because of how likable they are. I digress, game has awful gameplay, awful camera, and awful controls.

Zalman

Incredible game. There's so much packed into it, especially when you consider it's a handheld game. I also think it has one of the best soundtracks in recent memory.

pvpness

This game is the reason I bought a 3ds when I did. Such a great game. I don't like remasters but would purchase a remaster of this for a high price.

Uprising is such a fantastic game. The scope, the design, and the gameplay of it is un-matched. Sakurai is an amazing developer when he's not tied to Smash, I really hope he has a new Switch non-Smash game in development/planning.

The best game on the 3DS.

Easily in my top 5 games of all times. I had little issue adjusting to the controls and loved every minute of the game. From the fun gameplay to the hilarious script and surprisingly deep story, also who can forget the godly music, the game was a complete package. It's a shame we likely won't see much from the series again (I was bummed
Hades
never made it to smash), but I have hope.

Also, for anyone considering the game, please ignore the two people shitting on the game for whatever reason and listen to the mass majority of people who like and appreciate the game. It's a real treat.

13ruce

Banned
Fantastic game will replay it soon.
5 years already what the fuck..... Time flies i should sleep 6-7 hours instead of 8 xd.

Haganeren

I'm one of those who never had many issues with its control, i loved all it has to offer, at the time it was my favorite Nintendo games since Metroid Prime, as i didn't liked their output so much during the DS/Wii era....

Since then, they made a lot of incredible game though, but for me Kid Ikarus Uprising was such an incredible surprise i couldn't believe it.

J@hranimo

Banned
Damn, it's just been 5 years already?

This was the game to make me purchase my first 3DS back in 2012. So good, need to replay it sometime.

For a left-handed person out of the box it was more or less unplayable. The circle pad was a necessary investment. After that I had a lot of fun with it. Wouldn't mind a remake for the Switch.

Grok4Spock

Couldn't get into the game because of the janky controls but on the positive side it came with a free stand for Switch to allow for charging on Tabletop mode...

I'll say it again, an amazingly well crafted game with lots of love poured into it. It is only limited by the system it came out on.

I'm just hoping for a Switch port so I can finally play the game comfortably. No amount of quotes saying, "your doing it wrong" or "the controls worked for me" will fix a big issue the game has for many people such as myself.

Type40

This is one of the best games on the 3ds. Took me a few levels to get used to the controls. Online and weapon crafting were well implemented. Music and voice-acting were pretty great too. Would love an HD version down the road.

Firebrand

I've had little desire to play the game itself, but the reveal at E3 was pretty cool when the Kid Icarus music started playing before Reggie had finished speaking.

Johndoey

Banned
The writing in Uprising was great and it makes the lack of fanfiction about the game incredibly disappointing. The community is so small.

I loved the flying sections, but barely tolerated the on foot sections. Shame that every level had to combine both. I'd be more likely to replay it if I could just stick to the fun parts.

The anniversary is being marked with a My Nintendo point-dump (in NA, at least) of the 3D Kid Icarus animated shorts, by the way, for 100 Platinum Coins each. Given the lack of any decent rewards other than meagre discount coupons, I'm guessing many of you are sitting on a pile of coins near expiry anyway.

As for KI:U, I would definitely give it another shot if I ever upgrade to a New 3DS with the super-stable 3D, as this game was desperate for it (and I bought it digitally long after release, so I didn't have the stand). I played the campaign once through on the middle difficulties and the boss rush afterwards, but never put in enough time to properly understand the quirks and capabilities of the weapon set. And I never did try the multiplayer.

In many ways I still think of Uprising as the best Star Fox game, albeit for reasons with almost no overlap with why I also think of Star Fox Zero as the best Star Fox game.

My Game of the Generation, including 3DS, 360, PS3 and Wii.

Best voice acting, best music, most content, etc. The game was perfect, in my opinion.

I'd kill for a sequel or a remaster on the Switch.

Could never bring myself to give the game a second chance. Great graphics and music but damn it felt like a chore to play. Really wish there was an alternate control scheme.

Could never bring myself to give the game a second chance. Great graphics and music but damn it felt like a chore to play. Really wish there was an alternate control scheme.

I mean...technically there are. You can set it so you can aim the reticle with the face buttons, or alternatively move around with the face buttons and aim with the left circle pad, kinda like Turok.

I think you mean you wish there was proper Circle Pad Pro support, and unfortunately there isn't any except for the left handed mode.

benbeaux

Banned
I'm using the little stand that came with it as a stand to set the Switch on and it's working pretty well. The little dip that allows for headphone access allows for the charge cable to be connected to it. A little too slanted, but it still works well.

But Kid icarus Uprising was a fantastic game. The control scheme gave me hand cramps after awhile, but it was so worth it. I'd kill for a remaster or sequel on the Switch.

gerudoman

Probably one of Nintendo's finest games ever made. The effort Sakurai and his team went through in order to expand and establish an already existing universe is pretty much unparalleled and only comparable to Zelda's transition from 2D to 3D in Ocarina of Time in my opinion.

I don't know why but at first I didn't care for the game at all, probably due to its less than stellar reveal considering I was expecting the 3DS to have PS360 like graphics lol. The day it was released a friend who was going to buy the game asked me to go with him to Game and he somehow ended up convincing me to grab a copy for myself so we could play multiplayer, I remember exiting the shop thinking "I've made a huge mistake". Man, how wrong I was. I seriously can't think of any major drawbacks, I even got used to the control scheme and ended up finding it extremely precise and even comfortable. I wish my friend hadn't spoilt
the fake ending
for me, it would have been an awesome surprise.

Lately I've been meaning to replay it to see how it looks in my New XL and particularly in 3D (I couldn't stand OG model's 3D) but I know I would try to complete all episodes in difficulty 9 and that was a source of immense frustration back in the day lol.

TrueBlue

I was fortunate enough to "get" the controls almost instantly.

Thank God. It is a classic, and one of my favourite Nintendo games.

tkscz

Did anyone else get one of the old DS thumb straps for this game? I did and it made the controls 100% easier to deal with.

Peltz

My Game of the Generation, including 3DS, 360, PS3 and Wii.

Best voice acting, best music, most content, etc. The game was perfect, in my opinion.

I'd kill for a sequel or a remaster on the Switch.

3DS isn't the same generation as 360, PS3 and Wii. But your opinion is still appreciated :)

The Hermit

Best 3DS game by far.

I remember I was kinda interested, but a poster got the game early and was posting about the game and then posted about ending credits when suddenly...
fake ending

I was expecting a WiiU port, but I can see why they didn't.

The Switch though, now there's no excuse whatsoever

cyba89

Fantastic game gimped by bad controls (especially for lefties).

If there is one game that absolutely needs a remaster it's this one.

dickroach

It's also the 5th anniversary of Angry Birds Space, but I don't see a thread about that!!

I found Uprising on the dark, bottom shelf at a Wal Mart about a year ago. still haven't got around to playing it :\

maxcriden

If you changed the control scheme, it wouldn't be KI:A anymore. As hard as it was to play this game and as unrecommendable as it is, you just can't slap on a dual stick control scheme and expect things to work.

I agree. But the game could be rework a bit to fit the dual stick scheme. It doesn't seem out of the question.

Magnus

Fantastic game gimped by bad controls (especially for lefties).

If there is one game that absolutely needs a remaster it's this one.

Agreed. I really can't get into it at all with the painful hook-hand BS, but I loved everything else I experienced with the game. Really hoping it's Switch-bound at some point.

Dream scenario - sequel announced for Switch with a KI:I remaster preceding it or included with it, Bayonetta 2-style.

Magnus

I agree. But the game could be rework a bit to fit the dual stick scheme. It doesn't seem out of the question.

Agreed: Of course it isn't out of the question. Just need a little imagination. It's a rail shooter and a third person shooter at the core - they can definitely do a way better job with the controls on another platform. (In my opinion they could've done way better on the 3DS too)

People said the same about classic RE tank controls. How you couldn't ditch them in that kind of game - and then they did in REmake and it worked fine.

I wish people wouldn't slam those of us who had a problem with the controls - like, it comes up all the time in KI threads because they really weren't perfect. When you've got enough people who thought they were problematic, they were problematic. You want controls to be as universally acceptable and easy to grasp as possible.

I thought it was awesome. Never had an issue with its controls personally. And once you start to understand the movement the combat becomes so fast and fluid. Its a really unique game. I loved pretty much everything about it.

Buzzi

Best 3DS game and GOTG for me. It truely felt as something peculiar and unique, to the point that sure, I'd instantly buy a sequel, but I'm not eager for one, I'm more than happy to remember crying the 60+ hours spent literally screaming for what happened on screen ("HADES" "PIT").

I'm not sure Sakurai can come up with something on that level once again, but I absolutely want to see more original and different from him (not being interested in fighters helps, but the reason stands anyway).

I forged some lovely OHKO Bear Claws 5 years ago for online.
I've logged over 300 hours into this game. Unfortunately I'm stuck on 100%/101% and couldn't beat Boss Battles on Hard, but it was one of the deepest portable games I've ever played.

Definitely would play a remaster on Switch, but touch screen controls are a must. Right stick + gyro might be able to pass given how well Splatoon controls.

Game was pretty good - I was having a lot of fun with it for what little I could bear to play due to the intense pain the controls caused me, no matter what I did. Eventually, the pain it caused me was just too much and I quit playing. Hopefully this one gets a Switch re-release / upgrade.

Top Bottom