• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uh... this week was the 5th Anniversary of Kid Icarus Uprising.

Fbh

Amazing game.

I haven't played breath of the wild so that one isn't included in my comment. But this is seriously my favorite game Nintendo has released in the past 2 console generations.

The gameplay was fun, it has good humor and likable characters, looked amazing in 3D thanks to great art direction, lots of content and about twice the length I expected (without outstaying it's welcome), a decent multiplayer considering the platform it's running on....And the best soundtracks nintendo had ever made

I really hope they just port over Smash wiiU to the Switch so Sakurai can work on a sequel. Except for Wonderful 102, nothing could get me to buy a switch as fast as a sequel to this.

Sapiens

I agree. But the game could be rework a bit to fit the dual stick scheme. It doesn't seem out of the question.

The one thing I think really worked with the touchpad control scheme was the "hard turn" by "flicking" the screen and then pressing your stylus back down to stop. I just do not think there is any way to truly replicate that with a dual stick situation and it is a move I actually used a lot.

Listen, this game is a nice 7/10 for me. It's not the total piece of shit my comments make it out to be, but it leave a lot to be desired and I am being generous. On the other side of that, as problematic as the control scheme can be, it's still deeply integrated into that way the game was created.

Nintendo should never buckle and "fix" it. It's a unique mess with a lot of love put into it, but the love this game gets from people who think it's some masterpiece is off-putting and someone has to the the voice of reason and point the game's mediocrity out. In terms of the 3DS' best games, it is nowhere near the same league as SuperMario 3D land, Link Between Worlds and simple pleasures like Real Deal Baseball.

This was a really great game and, not counting on a sequel any time soon, I hope we can at least get a HD port of this on the Switch at some point.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Enjoyed it a lot for the gameplay, but the extent I loved the story and characters is what shocked me.

6c673d8163c3ea198d4eaf1300a70ed5.jpg

Palutena was amazing.

Miker

One of the GOAT handheld games. Insane amounts of variety and content. I personally had no problem with the controls, but I can see why some people would hate them.

I'd actually say the biggest problem with the game is the 3DS' low resolution screen, which makes it difficult to tell what you're shooting at some of the time. I think the fidelity of the graphics was fine, but everything was just a little bit too pixelated.

Peltz

The one thing I think really worked with the touchpad control scheme was the "hard turn" by "flicking" the screen and then pressing your stylus back down to stop. I just do not think there is any way to truly replicate that with a dual stick situation and it is a move I actually used a lot.

Listen, this game is a nice 7/10 for me. It's not the total piece of shit my comments make it out to be, but it leave a lot to be desired and I am being generous. On the other side of that, as problematic as the control scheme can be, it's still deeply integrated into that way the game was created.

Nintendo should never buckle and "fix" it. It's a unique mess with a lot of love put into it, but the love this game gets from people who think it's some masterpiece is off-putting and someone has to the the voice of reason and point the game's mediocrity out. In terms of the 3DS' best games, it is nowhere near the same league as SuperMario 3D land, Link Between Worlds and simple pleasures like Real Deal Baseball.

I love those games you mentioned, but KI:U is at least on par with them. And I consider SM3DL one of the best handheld games I've ever played too.

One of my biggest gaming shames is that I bought this on launch day, BUT I STILL HAVE NEVER PLAYED IT! I even have a sealed Strategy Guide. I can rectify this at any time, but I don't. Does it play any better on new 3DS XL? Because the stand surely won't work with that, will it?

Theswweet

This game came out at the perfect time for me. I had been hospitalized before it came out, and when I got out I was stuck at home for a good 2 months. I managed to play a LOT of great video games... I absolutely devoured this. I honest to god think it's still the best game Nintendo has made.

Sapiens

I love those games you mentioned, but KI:U is at least on par with them. And I consider SM3DL one of the best handheld games I've ever played too.

Nope - it's a deeply flawed game. It deserves recognition for the attention to detail and quality of all the parts running within it, but the most important thing - the game itself and the physical interface is enough to bounce it down to honourable mention status OUTSIDE of the pantheon of 3DS greats. Maybe we can put it in the same building with Majora's Mask and Super Mario Sunshine.

It's the best game I've played on 3DS and one of my favourite Nintendo games.

It'd be awesome if Nintendo announces a follow up on Switch maybe in a couple of years?

Didn't play this game but watched chuggaaconroy's play through and it looked awesome. A sequel on switch would definitely be a buy for me.

krossj

Game is great fun. Along with 3D land this was the game i picked up the 3DS for at the time. Wasn't sure what to expect but it turned out to be a a really well done blend of different genres and the controls didn't bother me as much as others.

Online was a blast too if a bit chaotic at times. I should give it another play through sometime.

Nope - it's a deeply flawed game. It deserves recognition for the attention to detail and quality of all the parts running within it, but the most important thing - the game itself and the physical interface is enough to bounce it down to honourable mention status OUTSIDE of the pantheon of 3DS greats. Maybe we can put it in the same building with Majora's Mask and Super Mario Sunshine.

Oh so you mean put it in the best game the series category
but that's one weird way to spell Mario galaxy

On topic this game made me buy the circle pad pro because I was a lefty but if helped having the extra ZR button making it easier to fire. To this day I don't think I've ever beaten a stage on 9 intensity. And that writing oh man did I have fun with it. To this day this game stands as my one of my most played 3ds games.

The Hermit

This is a far better reply than your previous posts.

I can see your point, I could adapt to the game controls better than I expected, but I can imagine how frustrating it is if the game brings more pain than pleasure. ( I remember even Sakurai himself had carpal tunnel syndrome and people joked it was Ki fault).

The most I can relate is trying to play BF1 on the ps4 after beating DOOM on PC. It was unplayable to me.

And I agree that the transition wouldn't be as easy as people say. Maybe using the trigger to turn the camera around and the second stick as the aim. It still wouldn't be elegant.

A sequel with better controls on the switch would be amazing though.

hatchx

Banned
I love every time a KI:U appreciation thread sprouts up here. Definitely my favourite handheld game ever. The VO and story were just incredible and fun, and the gameplay was often tense with lots of weapon/item/enemy variety. Even the multiplayer was a blast.

Really needs a sequel or remaster with better controls. I was able to get used to them, but for long and intense playing and left-handed gamers it was not ideal. I can see a good gyro+analog solution.

I'm just not sure if the on-ground locations were a little too simple and barren to justify an HD remaster. Might as well just make a new Kid Icarus game with similar shooter/brawler style.

blamite

Amazing game. Really makes me hope Sakurai can get to work on more projects that aren't just Smash sequels. Hopefully the Switch likely getting a Smash 4 port will give him the chance to do something different again instead of going straight back to that well?

I agree. But the game could be rework a bit to fit the dual stick scheme. It doesn't seem out of the question.

The question is how is that going to work? The problem with dual sticks comes down to the sensitivity, which is simply not up to par to what you would get with the stylus (stylus being far more precise vs. dual sticks which is much slower and slightly more difficult to reliably aim). Considering how fast paced the game is (especially in higher difficulties), the twin stick isn't ideal for that kind of gameplay without changing up the game.

Another hand raised for wanting a remaster on the switch. Hell, they don't even have to do much. Native resolution, 60FPS, and Twinstick controls. that's IT.

They could knock this out in six months and have another top tier game for the switch.

ChrisD

Another hand raised for wanting a remaster on the switch. Hell, they don't even have to do much. Native resolution, 60FPS, and Twinstick controls. that's IT.

They could knock this out in six months and have another top tier game for the switch.

Our ideas of "don't have to do much" are rather different. :p

I was fortunate enough to "get" the controls almost instantly.

Thank God. It is a classic, and one of my favourite Nintendo games.

Yep, same here. I was able to 100 percent the game with no real issues aside from the occasional soreness.

Just a masterpiece all around. It was also the first game that Nintendo finally took English voice acting seriously and delivered some wonderful performances. There's no bad dialog anywhere in the game. No lulzy, meme-y, so bad it's good lines like "What am I fighting for?". Everything that's supposed to be funny is funny, anything that's supposed to be serious or dramatic actually hits the mark. It's PERFECT!

Dr. Worm

Banned
The only controller I could imagine myself playing this on would be the Steam Controller, due to the trackpads.

Joy-Cons with gyro controls might work, I guess, but twin-stick would terrible.

Top Bottom