• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uh... this week was the 5th Anniversary of Kid Icarus Uprising.

Besides the game being half a panzer dragoon snoozefest and the other half being an unplayable mess (you need to press an item on the touchscreen to jump with your nose for crissakes), the voice acting/script was pandering and cringe worthy. There wasn't a lot to like.

I guess, technically, the graphics were impressive for the 3DS...but the core game play really showed the game was a colossal mistake. They shipped a stand with it...

I hope Nintendo lost a lot of money on this mistake.

Well, I think this game is one of the best Nintendo has released this past decade.

Opinions.

Definitely the best 3DS game ever made.

An HD remaster or sequel on Switch would make me drool. Gyro and stick aiming should be able to replace the stylus aiming pretty well.

I was lucky to find this game back in 2014 because holy fuck is it hard to find. Also one of the best reasons to have a 3DS.

Definitely the best 3DS game ever made.

An HD remaster or sequel on Switch would make me drool. Gyro and stick aiming should be able to replace the stylus aiming pretty well.

Gyro or Stick aiming is not a good replacement for the stylus. Stick aiming means an inherently slower aim, and we all saw what happened to Star Fox Zero when Gyro was shoved down people's throats. Stylus was the perfect compromise and didn't slow down the pace of the game.

error4041

Easily in my Top 5 games of all time. the game never slows for a second delivering constant action, Comedy and some of the wackiest characters I've seen in a game

Also, Hades will be best villain forever. If you wait for about 5 minutes at the end screen after the credits, you get one final monologue from him.

ChrisD

Best
game
of
all
time

Great cast with fitting voice work, super fun story mode, best controls (not the comfiest but ridiculously precise and super twitchy), funnest handheld online multiplayer, best musical score, great loot system, awesome achievement system.

Being entirely honest with my opinion best handheld Nintendo game, KI:U > BotW

Sapiens

In all sincerity, if you consider half of it to be an unplayable mess, would you not welcome a revamped control scheme? Unless you are being facetious and I misunderstood, in which case, my apologies.

If you changed the control scheme, it wouldn't be KI:A anymore. As hard as it was to play this game and as unrecommendable as it is, you just can't slap on a dual stick control scheme and expect things to work.

As someone who's left-handed, it was a challenging playing through the higher difficulties, but not impossible!

This game was a blast from beginning to end!
Hades is the villain we all need.
It was this game that made Pit one of my favorite Nintendo characters!

Really hope there's a sequel or remaster for Switch one day!

Magnus

Fantastic game completely burned by an abysmal control scheme. Made it unplayable for me, without exaggeration.

Peltz

Great, now I'm listening to the OST. Thanks, OP

No really, thanks.
You're welcome :)

The OST was such a surprising part of the game for me. I did not expect an orchestral soundtrack that was on par with Super Mario Galaxy when I bought it. Nintendo really spared no expense with this game.

I beat it, enjoyed it and then sold it. I wouldn't mind playing it again as a HD remaster or even a straight up port at a decent price.

It did have it's problems but overall it was a solid effort. I'll never understand people who thought the stand was necessary to play. I used my pinkies as support and I have tendinitis + carpal tunnel, didn't have any flare ups.

ryushe

Real talk, chapter 8 "The Space Pirate Ship" is still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a game to date. That level alone sold the idea of 3D for me.

Luigi87

One of the best games I've ever played.

I didn't have any issues with the controls once I adapted, and there's so much to this game.

The writing is hilarious, and the voice work is top notch.

Also Pit's Victory Song he sings remains as my cell phone ringtone.

ChrisD

Real talk, chapter 8 "The Space Pirate Ship" is still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in a game to date. That level alone sold the idea of 3D for me.

Also had a Kirby's Air Ride 'Legendary Vehicle'-esque track to go along with it. Still hum to that tune. (Okay, both tunes, lol)

Gyro or Stick aiming is not a good replacement for the stylus. Stick aiming means an inherently slower aim, and we all saw what happened to Star Fox Zero when Gyro was shoved down people's throats. Not to mention, Gyro means accuracy issues when it comes to perception. Stylus was the perfect compromise and didn't slow down the pace of the game.

I think a combination of gyro and stick aiming should work decently, especially in TV mode when aiming with split joycons. It can't be as precise as stylus aiming but it wouldn't be easily playable on the Switch in the stylus mode.

This is all just because I want an HD remaster, I think the control scheme was perfect in the game.

crpav

Still kicking myself for not picking up a copy or all 3 when walmart had them on a clearance sale. When I did decide to buy them a few days later they were gone. I only know it was someone who found out that they were sort of "rare" and more than what they were selling for. As a collector I would have kept them all as I sell nothing.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member

The 3D in the game was so good. Probably one of the best examples.

The game did so many things well, the difficulty system was an amazing idea. I know it got used in Smash Bros after but I can't believe we haven't seen it show up in other places. It worked so well for every player to naturally set their own difficulty but push them to challenge themselves as well

ChrisD

Still kicking myself for not picking up a copy or all 3 when walmart had them on a clearance sale. When I did decide to buy them a few days later they were gone. I only know it was someone who found out that they were sort of "rare" and more than what they were selling for. As a collector I would have kept them all as I sell nothing.

Best Buy had a deal on them a few years ago, want to say it was only $15 for a sealed copy. Must have been total liquidation of the game, because I never saw them in-stores again. But I passed up on it. Really wish I bought an extra to keep sealed!

The 3D in the game was so good. Probably one of the best examples.

The game did so many things well, the difficulty system was an amazing idea. I know it got used in Smash Bros after but I can't believe we haven't seen it show up in other places. It worked so well for every player to naturally set their own difficulty but push them to challenge themselves as well

It seems to be a Sakurai staple now, which is excellent news for whatever new IP he is (rumored to be) working on.

I could see this game being a lot better with Splatoon-esque gyro controls, but I'm also not sure because I think thats how Star Fox Zero kinda controlled (didn't play it) and everyone hated it. The controls are without a doubt the biggest thing holding this game back from being a 9 or 10, everything else (including the cheesy but great voice acting) is perfect for what the game is.

Peltz

I was lucky to find this game back in 2014 because holy fuck is it hard to find. Also one of the best reasons to have a 3DS.

Gyro or Stick aiming is not a good replacement for the stylus. Stick aiming means an inherently slower aim, and we all saw what happened to Star Fox Zero when Gyro was shoved down people's throats. Stylus was the perfect compromise and didn't slow down the pace of the game.

I agree, the game really needs a stylus + touch screen to play it. It wouldn't work with any other type of control scheme at the higher levels of difficulty.

I'm really glad that I'm not alone in thinking this is one of the best games of all time.

mhayes86

I nearly got burnt out from this game. I was repeating missions on higher difficulties way too frequently that I nearly stopped playing the game, so I focused on the main mission in order to finish it.

I had a lot of fun with it despite the hand cramping controls (I didn't have the circle pad accessory), but the only thing that I didn't care for was that the excellent banter between characters was really difficult to hear/pay attention to with all of the action going on. I'm sure I missed a lot of great dialogue.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
For ports the controls are tricky. I do want ports but the game is currently designed for the precision of the stylus. There's no 1:1 way to keep everything the same. A port would need some reworking but I think it would be worth it.

The controls in general never bothered me but I can't fault anyone who didn't like it. It was awkward at the very least but the controls were used very well, there's nothing that really matches the precision of the stylus in the flight sections

There was just nothing ergonomic about trying to be active with the stylus and hold the console at the same time so the reaction was fair and no real surprise

Peltz

I nearly got burnt out from this game. I was repeating missions on higher difficulties way too frequently that I nearly stopped playing the game, so I focused on the main mission in order to finish it.

I had a lot of fun with it despite the hand cramping controls (I didn't have the circle pad accessory), but the only thing that I didn't care for was that the excellent banter between characters was really difficult to hear/pay attention to with all of the action going on. I'm sure I missed a lot of great dialogue.

This game is MADE for headphones. Seriously, the audio in the game is phenomenal and not meant to be enjoyed on the 3DS's tinny speakers.

The controls in general never bothered me but I can't fault anyone who didn't like it. It was awkward at the very least but the controls were used very well, there's nothing that really matches the precision of the stylus in the flight sections

There was just nothing ergonomic about trying to be active with the stylus and hold the console at the same time so the reaction was fair and no real surprise

Agreed. I can't fault someone for thinking the controls ruined the game. They were perfect for the game as far as accuracy is concerned, but the hardware was not meant to be held with only the left hand while aggressively operating the circle pad. The 3DS is too short and wide, and the heft of the device doesn't lend itself to that grip very well.

The Wii U Gampad resting on one's lap would have been perfect for an HD port of this game.

gweemz

Haven't played it because I'm a lefty and remember reading that this game would be hard for us. Is that true?

Intel_89

The 3DS 'Git gud' game. Amazing game, it's one of the few recent games where I felt that it lived to it's full potential.

For ports the controls are tricky. I do want ports but the game is currently designed for the precision of the stylus. There's no 1:1 way to keep everything the same. A port would need some reworking but I think it would be worth it.

Well, pointer controls should work well right? IR Wii-like pointer controls. Which the Switch doesn't really have I suppose.

But gyro pointing like SS, combined with broad movements with the right control stick should work well enough, though obviously giving up a bit of precision.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I loved loved loved this game from beginning to end. The difficult was a bit ridiculous on the higher settings, but I guess that's sort of the point.

Never once touched multiplayer. Is it worthwhile?

Edit: Gotta find where I put my stand. Hmm...

Trevelyan

Banned
Absolutely adored this game. Here's hoping that Sakurai has been creating a sequel for the Switch to be released next year.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Well, pointer controls should work well right? IR Wii-like pointer controls. Which the Switch doesn't really have I suppose.

But gyro pointing like SS, combined with broad movements with the right control stick should work well enough, though obviously giving up a bit of precision.

They sort of 'work' but the stylus is so precise so easily that you would still need to make changes to adapt it. It would be very difficult to play on high difficulties trying to use pointer controls. I do think it should be ported though. It wouldn't be exactly the same but it would still be great I think

It would be good if it were on a twinstick platform.

It's basically unplayable otherwise.

What? No. The game as it stands would be unplayable with a twinstick set-up. Like many posters have already said, using twin sticks means an inherently slower and more finicky aiming and needing to compensate by having much slower gameplay. You can have your gripe about the controls, but the stylus isn't objectively unplayable if people were able to play through the game.

Peltz

Haven't played it because I'm a lefty and remember reading that this game would be hard for us. Is that true?

Unless you have an OG 3DS + a Circle Pad Pro, or 3DS XL + a Circle Pad Pro, then yes, I would say this game is very hard for lefties.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
I loved loved loved this game from beginning to end. The difficult was a bit ridiculous on the higher settings, but I guess that's sort of the point.

Never once touched multiplayer. Is it worthwhile?

Edit: Gotta find where I put my stand. Hmm...

I actually loved the multiplayer mode at the time. It must be dead by now though I imagine

Peltz

What does my avatar have to do with anything?

Just ignore him. He's been trolling this thread.

I actually loved the multiplayer mode at the time. It must be dead by now though I imagine

It is fairly dead unfortunately. Splatoon 2 is coming to Switch and will have to suffice for our handheld deathmatch needs. (I actually prefer Splatoon's multiplayer to this game's multiplayer, but this game was better than Splatoon overall. The singleplayer was way more epic).

What does my avatar have to do with anything?

This game has a very small, vocal, fanbase who should be ignored.

It's a shitty-to-control bore-fest with localization that really appeals to a certain set (the anime avatar set).

Most people find the dialogue cringe-worthy and the gameplay painful. Literally painful.

The dialogue is only figuratively painful. Thankfully.

There are so many other games more worthy of your time on the 3DS.

woo woo woo

By far my favorite 3DS game. Floored and surprised me from beginning to end.

What a way to revitalize a franchise. A shame we may not get a sequel from this.

Besides the game being half a panzer dragoon snoozefest and the other half being an unplayable mess (you need to press an item on the touchscreen to jump with your nose for crissakes), the voice acting/script was pandering and cringe worthy. There wasn't a lot to like.

I guess, technically, the graphics were impressive for the 3DS...but the core game play really showed the game was a colossal mistake. They shipped a stand with it...

I hope Nintendo lost a lot of money on this mistake.

Ow_the_edge.jpg

You can't convince me this wasn't written by an angry 13 year old.

Top Bottom