• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uh... this week was the 5th Anniversary of Kid Icarus Uprising.

Peltz

Man time flies. I remember I was in my first year of law school when this game came out and I had a major paper due in one of my classes. I spent countless hours that weekend doing what every responsible law student would do: beating the single player mode of KI:U and fusing weapons for hours on end.
I got a B+ on my essay somehow.

kid-icarus-uprising-screenshot-24-e1333142080724.jpg
This game was one of the first to really push what the 3DS could do. The soundtrack, cinematic scope, voice acting/localization, and overall singleplayer campaign made for one of the most well-produced games that Nintendo had ever put out on a handheld (or any platform) to that point.

The difficulty setting was also very innovative. You paid more of the in-game currency (hearts) to select higher difficulty levels. As you raise the level, the intensity of the game increases, but the rewards increased too. Higher levels would have insanely tough enemies, tons of projectiles on screen, and great weapons to find.

You could use these weapons in singleplayer mode, multiplayer matches, or fuse them to create new weapons in a very rewarding crafting-type system.

The multiplayer also felt really well made and I spent quite a few hours in it as well. Unfortunately, the game has this one "feature" which subs bots into a lobby without telling you if it can't find enough players. I really didn't like that, and wish they were more transparent about having bots play against you.

Still, prior to Splatoon, this was the best deathmatch/fragging style online game Nintendo had put out to that point.

Many people will likely post in this thread that the controls made the game unplayable. Personally, I think they do have a point. This game is NOT ergonomic. It forces you to hold the 3DS in an uncomfortable way or use a stand which was included and play at a desk, possibly hunched over.

The game, however, is very playable under the right conditions once you figure it out. Just don't expect that experience to ever feel 100% comfy.

I think this game really changed my perception about what is possible on a handheld device. The long campaign, great multiplayer, deep crafting system, fantastic use of 3D (rip), and incredible soundtrack made me feel like it was well worth the occasional hand cramp.

Happy Anniversary to what I consider a great franchise reboot.

Jawmuncher

Borrowed this from a friend, and had a lot of fun with it. This is the way to bring a series back.
Too bad there hasn't been anything since.

TDLink

The best handheld game ever made!
Before BotW I guess

It's a shame it as a one and done apparently. Would love another game like this, or even just a console remaster so the multip layer can really shine.

Sapiens

Besides the game being half a panzer dragoon snoozefest and the other half being an unplayable mess (you need to press an item on the touchscreen to jump with your nose for crissakes), the voice acting/script was pandering and cringe worthy. There wasn't a lot to like.

I guess, technically, the graphics were impressive for the 3DS...but the core game play really showed the game was a colossal mistake. They shipped a stand with it...

I hope Nintendo lost a lot of money on this mistake.

Sterok

Sakurai's crown jewel, and the greatest game to grace the 3DS. Amazing presentation, fun characters, hectic gameplay, lots of variety, and tons of content. Would not change a single thing about it.

tkscz

Awesome game, but people keep passing around that this game sold badly. Sold well over 1 million units world wide, that's not bad at all. Not sure why people are saying it sold bad.

Besides the game being half a panzer dragoon snoozefest and the other half being an unplayable mess (you need to press an item on the touchscreen to jump with your nose for crissakes), the voice acting/script was pandering and cringe worthy.

I hope Nintendo lost a lot of money on this.

They did not.

Besides the game being half a panzer dragoon snoozefest and the other half being an unplayable mess (you need to press an item on the touchscreen to jump with your nose for crissakes), the voice acting/script was pandering and cringe worthy.

I hope Nintendo lost a lot of money on this.
You're entitled to your opinion, but it's still dead wrong

Alienous

It was really good. Few handheld games are that complete as an experience. Weapon variety, difficulty settings, multi-player.

Hopefully it gets a sequel of the Switch. I'd much rather have Sakurai work on that and pass the Smash Bros. baton to someone else.

In my opinion it tells one of the best narratives in the medium as a whole and is the best written Nintendo game alongside TTYD and Color Splash.

It does have claim to the best villain in a videogame though. I've never seen a better executed videogame villain than that.

Raysoul

Besides the game being half a panzer dragoon snoozefest and the other half being an unplayable mess (you need to press an item on the touchscreen to jump with your nose for crissakes), the voice acting/script was pandering and cringe worthy. There wasn't a lot to like.

I guess, technically, the graphics were impressive for the 3DS...but the core game play really showed the game was a colossal mistake. They shipped a stand with it...

This is worst than hand cramps opinions

Sapiens

Remaster on Switch plz

I hate the controls, but I could not imagine some of the mechanics of the multiplayer working with out the ability to treat the touchscreen like a big track ball.

At least I remember the online being not completely terrible. It was fast paced and could be, while not quite good or fun, an interesting glimpse into what could of been. Are the servers still up?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I have no shame in saying this is among the best games I've ever played in my life. I know about the on-the-ground controls, the learning curve is too steep, but...man. Maaan, the game as a whole (comedy, fly-sequences, epicness, atmosphere, gameplay, etc.) is a triumph. A sequel announcement is probably one of the times I would lose my sanity, I just love the original that much. Well over 100 hours spent between the single player and the multiplayer.

Kouichi

One of my top 10 games of all time. I adored everything from the awesome gameplay to lovable characters and story.

MrBadger

They really need to make another one on a system more suited to the gameplay. I might say that this game has the best writing in any Nintendo game to date. Every character is great, especially the villain. And the story is insane.

Alienous

Also the
part where you play as a child and a dog
is one of the most quietly beautiful moments I've played in a video game.

image.php

PK Gaming

One of my very, very, very, very favorite games of all time

KI:U got me through mid 2012, which was a rough period for me

redcrayon

I found it really, really hard to play as a left-hander (depend on your precision with a pen in your off-hand) but I can't fault the production values- it looks and sounds great. I'd love to see a sequel one day, taking KI:U as a template. It was a really good idea/update for the characters/franchise, even if I didn't get on with it. The platform games on NES/GB are favourites of mine and it was great to see the characters reimagined.

Sapiens

5th anniversary already? Time flies fast. Love the game. Will buy again if they do HD port on switch

For better or for worse, it is designed around a stylus control scheme. You'd be destroying the integrity and purity of a deeply flawed game. This makes me think the port-beggars never really played the game outside of watching the cringe-tactic anime voice acting on youtube or something.

Kid Icarus Uprising sold well and was received well, where is the new game in the series?

The problem is, Sakurai doesn't want to do a sequel and no one else at Nintendo really has the time or interest in working on the series.

It happens to a lot of Nintendo series, sadly. For example, Metroid hasn't gotten a new major installment in awhile because Retro moved onto Donkey Kong and Sakamoto said he wasn't interested in returning to the series (which might be for the best after Other M). I always felt like series like Fire Emblem and Kirby are really lucky to have entire game companies to back them up.

Kalor

I didn't realize it's been 5 years. It feels like a lot less. Uprising is probably one of the best games on the 3DS and maybe that Nintendo has done. The story was fun and creative and it manages to surprise you multiple times as you think that you're done with the game but then you're not even close.

maxcriden

What felt the comfiest for me in playing the game was kind of resting the 3DS on my thigh while slightly reclining IIRC and having freer hand use that way. I did have a stand I think but didn't use it. I couldn't play for unlimited amounts of time but I could play for a while using my method before it would get uncomfortable.

Anyway, I think the game is absolutely brilliant. Incredible setpieces, terrific gameplay once it clicked for me, very well done story with great voice acting and dialogue, and endless amounts of content.

ryushe

Yo, I remember when I got to the games
"first" ending
. It absolutely blew my mind. Then they did it again and I was fucking floored again.

Legitimately one of my favorite stories in gaming. It's the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann of video game narratives.

Tried to like it but the controls. Dear god it's terrible for a lefty. Tried playing it again two different occasions with some control tweaks but couldn't play it for more than 5 minutes.

maxcriden

For better or for worse, it is designed around a stylus control scheme. You'd be destroying the integrity and purity of a deeply flawed game. This makes me think the port-beggars never really played the game outside of watching the cringe-tactic anime voice acting on youtube or something.

In all sincerity, if you consider half of it to be an unplayable mess, would you not welcome a revamped control scheme? Unless you are being facetious and I misunderstood, in which case, my apologies.

Hero

Yeah I noticed how it showed up in MyNintendo rewards recently.

I would totally buy an HD remaster on Switch with the option of dual analog stick controls.

Peltz

Sheesh. We get it. You don't like the game.
Tried to like it but the controls. Dear god it's terrible for a lefty. Tried playing it again two different occasions with some control tweaks but couldn't play it for more than 5 minutes.

Lefties really got screwed on this game. The Circle Pad Pro may have helped though.

Top Bottom