• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhh, that Crash remaster is looking pretty fucking good.

Machina

Banned
Made you guys a lil sum'n-sum'n

JEripnx.png

Confirmation bias is one hell of a drug

Well I am waiting for those sales numbers...

People have been crying for crash content, so there it is, now lets see how many are actually willing to buy it... i am willing to bet its going to be disappointing, but hell, I can eat crow happily.

It's been on Amazon top seller charts for so many months.
I'm sure this game will sell very well.

Don't forget EU PSN charts always have all three Crash games in the top 3 spots for PS classic section.

Type_Raver

After seeing this, its wet my appetite for a DKC remastering of the original trilogy. Keep it faithful the the original art styles and level designs like Crash has, but give it that pre-rendered look and finish!

Donkey Kong Country:

Donkey_Kong_Country.png

sharkchase.jpg

Donkey Kong Country 2:

Ricketyraceimage65.jpg

hive.jpg

Hektor

After seeing this, its wet my appetite for a DKC remastering of the original trilogy. Keep it faithful the the original art styles and level designs like Crash has, but give it that pre-rendered look and finish!

Donkey Kong Country:

Donkey_Kong_Country.png

sharkchase.jpg

Donkey Kong Country 2:

Ricketyraceimage65.jpg

hive.jpg

Are we sure that donkey Kong was ever good in the first place

It does look great. I'm surprised at how well I remember these levels considering I haven't played them since the 90s. Seems to be a very faithful remake.

Also, I had no idea there were 18 games in this series. I thought maybe 3-4. :x

hotcyder

Donkey Kong Country:

Donkey_Kong_Country.png

It's crazy where we live in an age where new games look better then the pre-rendered cgi promotional material they're based on.

Definitely all over the idea of repackaging the original DKC trilogy with new graphics - but I'd much rather it in DKC R/TF's art style;

Donkey_Kong_Country_Tropical_Freeze_screenshot.png

Have a feeling this game is going to bomb.

Current Amazon rank

US - 10
Canada - 9
UK - 1
Germany - 1
France - 3
Italy - 1
Spain - 4

Also note that in Europe you have to go back to June 2016 for the last time that the Crash trilogy+CTR didn't dominate the top 4 slots for best selling PSone/PS2 Classic. And that time it was CTR that got bumped. You'd need to go back to November 2015 for the last time something actually outsold the Trilogy, and that was San Andreas.

As somebody whose only experience of playing Crash is the bit in Uncharted 4, do these have actual worth beyond nostalgia? The videos make it look very stiff.

Current Amazon rank

US - 10
Canada - 9
UK - 1
Germany - 1
France - 3
Italy - 1
Spain - 4

Also note that in Europe you have to go back to June 2016 for the last time that the Crash trilogy+CTR didn't dominate the top 4 slots for best selling PSone/PS2 Classic. And that time it was CTR that got bumped. You'd need to go back to November 2015 for the last time something actually outsold the Trilogy, and that was San Andreas.

If you're only counting *games* on the US bestseller list, Crash would be #4, not #10. For some dumb reason, they count PSN and XBL gift cards in the same category.

And to top off what you said, Crash 1-3 and CTR haven't been off the top 10 one time since their debut, iirc, which was 2007ish.

As somebody whose only experience of playing Crash is the bit in Uncharted 4, do these have actual worth beyond nostalgia? The videos make it look very stiff.

As someone who's played both N.Sane Trilogy and Uncharted 4's representations of Crash Bandicoot 1, Vicarious Visions did a far far far far far far far better job of it. The Uncharted mini-game actually manages to be somehow worse than original Crash 1.

AlanOC91

I don't think so. It's certainly not going to bomb in the UK: it's topping most preorder charts, and the PS1 classics on PS3 have constantly been in the top 6 PS1 classics, along with FF7 and MGS.

Crash popularity in UK and Ireland is insane. People on my Facebook who aren't known to be gamers are posting about this and sharing videos/images about it being all excited. Whether the translates to more sales in generally non-gamerish people is another story but it's getting huge word of mouth around here.

Crash was always immensely popular back in the day. Seems like the love for it never went away.

Definitely.
They're pretty slow paced, but they're not stiff.

They also have secrets that are practically as obscure as finding secret areas/the DLC in Dark Souls and Bloodborne, along with levels that connect to each other from other levels.

2 is the only one on the PS1 that really holds up nowadays, just because of the fact it didn't have the originals terrible saving system, and wasn't 50% vehicle levels like Crash 3, but this collection is fixing the Crash 1 saves, and I guess they're probably gonna fix some of the clunkiness from 3's vehicles.

Definitely.
They're pretty slow paced, but they're not stiff.

They also have secrets that are practically as obscure as finding secret areas/the DLC in Dark Souls and Bloodborne, along with levels that connect to each other from other levels.

2 is the only one on the PS1 that really holds up nowadays, just because of the fact it didn't have the originals terrible saving system, and wasn't 50% vehicle levels like Crash 3, but this collection is fixing the Crash 1 saves, and I guess they're probably gonna fix some of the clunkiness from 3's vehicles.

My understanding is particular care has been given to the planes and such. From just watching it, the motorcycle is similar but more forgiving on turns. They didn't completely change anything, but if something sucked, they upgraded it.

They're not Mario but I think Crash 2 and 3 at least have a nice feeling of weight behind the jumps, you have a decent amount of air control and the level design is usually short and sweet. The main thing about Crash is the amount of secrets and the general expressiveness of the characters (Crash 3 is where this is really evident, with a TON of unique death animations).

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be honest, most of what is shown in that video look like a fan-made UE4 tribute to me.

I think the reason is that it is kind of exactly that, aesthetically. The original cohesion and identity that made the Crash art style and environments so interesting from an aesthetic point of view is kind of lost now (to the point that it just looks like someone made Crash in UE and plopped him into a world that kind of reminds you of the original but not in a way that suggests a necessary remake a la the one for RE1).

hotcyder

They give you an option to toggle inverted axis controls then we'll be in business (especially on Crash 2's jetpack level).

They are really insisting on calling it a remaster, wonder if that has something to do with rights?

Activision have said they view it as a remaster because it's literally the same game except with prettier visuals. They also referred to Modern Warfare as a remaster as it had the same approach. So, it just seems like they view a remake as being something like REmake or FF7R.

CHC

I don't know why anyone expected it wouldn't, based on what we've seen. Really looks like it's made with the utmost attention to detail and respect for the originals.

They are really insisting on calling it a remaster, wonder if that has something to do with rights?

I think part of it is just that "remake" is a loose term, it can mean this (a literal remake of the games) or it can imply a reimagining.

It looks really really bad. Crash Bandicoot Warped is literally my favorite game of all time and I am in zero rush to go play this. I may pick it up when it is dirt cheap but everything about it just looks off and worse than the originals.

I don't think it is just nostalgia talking either. Looking at side by side comparisons of the original and the remaster you can see it more clearly. The water is particularly terrible in the remaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqYaBx8n3as

Yes, the remake looks better in every conceivable way.

Alienous

Because Activision seem to know what a remaster is, or at least what it implies. They also labeled the Call of Duty 4 remaster 'Modern Warfare Remastered'.

There are ports, remasters, remakes and reimaginings. Games exist on a spectrum between them.

Take Tomb Raider. Tomb Raider Anniversary is a remake of Tomb Raider 1. Tomb Raider (2013) is a reimagining of the franchise.

Updating assets on the 'skeleton' of an existing game is a remaster, whether those assets are textures, geometry, music (etc).

The recent Ratchet and Clank games are good example of what a remake is, though that veers toward being a reimagining.

The distinctions are nebulous but Crash is closer to a remaster than a remake. It straddles the line between them - remaking cutscenes but remastering the core game.

Auctopus

I was completely expecting this to be a half-assed upscale job, but no, it actually looks kinda awesome.

Surely, you must have just straight up assumed that without bothering to check your facts? It's been looking pretty strong from the get go.

As someone who played but never owned the games... This actually looks really really good.

Side note: why aren't female characters allowed to ever look goofy? Coco looks completely off because of how "human" she looks next to crash, then I realized that this is a common trope.

Haganeren

I don't know... Maybe i'm just too old but it makes me think of those fan remake of Nintendo games in Unreal Engine 4... There is something "off" about it, it lacks color and the lighting is a bit bland.

But since (mostly) everyone seems to like it, i suppose it's me.

Top Bottom