• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uhh, that Crash remaster is looking pretty fucking good.

Loved the Crash Trilogy on PS1 back in the day, they might not have changed 3D platformers like Mario 64 did but they were still solid traditional platforming games and a lot of fun.

Can't wait to get the N' Sane Trilogy now, it's looking awesome.

ZeoVGM

Banned
the game itself isn't very good but for those growing up that never played the n64 this is what they remember as a "good" platformer.

...crash had good commercials though.

Interesting idea.

However, I owned an N64 and all three Crash games so I must inform you that you are factually incorrect.

silva1991

This can easily end up my GOTY.

Interesting idea.

However, I owned an N64 and all three Crash games so I must inform you that you are factually incorrect.

Lol, Crash haters would have stronger point if Crash games didn't actually review well.

A look at gamerankings and metacritic shows how critically acclaimed those games were except for the first one which still reviewed well.

And yes, I played Mario games before even playing Crash 1.

bunkitz

Okay, what's up, Vicarious? Coco's got her own icon in the level select screen, but not for 1UP's? Bit of a waste, slightly disappointing, but not at all detrimental to the overall experience. Just a shame, is all.

But DAMN the game looks fantastic.

Kinsei

Banned
the game itself isn't very good but for those growing up that never played the n64 this is what they remember as a "good" platformer.

I had an N64 and still consider these to be great games. Both Crash and Spyro stand alongside Mario and Banjo.

_Rob_

As someone who played but never owned the games... This actually looks really really good.

Side note: why aren't female characters allowed to ever look goofy? Coco looks completely off because of how "human" she looks next to crash, then I realized that this is a common trope.

I sort of see where you're coming from, but I disagree with Coco specifically; she looks suitably cartoony to me:

ea0.gif

Definitely.
They're pretty slow paced, but they're not stiff.

They also have secrets that are practically as obscure as finding secret areas/the DLC in Dark Souls and Bloodborne, along with levels that connect to each other from other levels.

2 is the only one on the PS1 that really holds up nowadays, just because of the fact it didn't have the originals terrible saving system, and wasn't 50% vehicle levels like Crash 3, but this collection is fixing the Crash 1 saves, and I guess they're probably gonna fix some of the clunkiness from 3's vehicles.

The jetpack levels are the worst in the series. That shit fucking blows. That last boss is some dumpster fire.

Tizoc

As someone who mainly games on PC I am not too concerned about it running at 30 FPS. iT'S A BUmmer but I couldn't care less.
I am just so psyched to play this collection.

IMHO, I prefer the original games' look. The ye olde PSOne polygons in Crash 2 and 3 are really lovely and colorful.

The remaster has nice clean visuals and I like how it's shaping up.

I think the reason is that it is kind of exactly that, aesthetically. The original cohesion and identity that made the Crash art style and environments so interesting from an aesthetic point of view is kind of lost now (to the point that it just looks like someone made Crash in UE and plopped him into a world that kind of reminds you of the original but not in a way that suggests a necessary remake a la the one for RE1).

Yeah, I'm going to blame the lack of artistic direction.
Not going to comment further, glad someone likes it I guess.

The jetpack levels are the worst in the series. That shit fucking blows. That last boss is some dumpster fire.

At least there were only 3(?) of those, and then the final boss, it wasn't half of the game like on Crash 3.

I remember liking one of the jetpack levels, but the rest sucked. The last boss is horrible though, and is probably one of my main complaints of the game, along with that stupid box on one of the snow levels that you need to bounce up to, but it's off screen. It took me ages to find that and get the final gem.

skybald

Why do people put "so uhh" in their thread titles?

My SO has never bought a video game before but preordered this remaster for my PS4.

At least there were only 3(?) of those, and then the final boss, it wasn't half of the game like on Crash 3.

I remember liking one of the jetpack levels, but the rest sucked. The last boss is horrible though, and is probably one of my main complaints of the game, along with that stupid box on one of the snow levels that you need to bounce up to, but it's off screen. It took me ages to find that and get the final gem.

Personally I liked the motorcycle, water and plane levels. Fun and broke up the monotomy. Its the jet ski levels that were some bullshit. So many and 0 of them fun. But yeah Crash 3 could have cut down the vehicle levels for sure.

But the jetpack levels will forever be the worst shit in the series. Awful awful ideas.

alexbull_uk

It looks great. Especially the newest footage, you can tell that VV has been listening and making adjustments all the way through development.

I can't wait to play it. The first game especially, it's my GOAT.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
I don't know... Maybe i'm just too old but it makes me think of those fan remake of Nintendo games in Unreal Engine 4... There is something "off" about it, it lacks color and the lighting is a bit bland.

But since (mostly) everyone seems to like it, i suppose it's me.
What's with this shit, no it doesn't.

It looks a bit like the recent Skylanders games as it's that engine being used here but it does not look like a UE4 Project at all.

Jaymageck

Anyone else dislike Crash's facial animations in this game? I feel like rather than looking actually crazed he looks like some kid trying to pull funny 'mad' faces to be cool on social media.

Side note: why aren't female characters allowed to ever look goofy? Coco looks completely off because of how "human" she looks next to crash, then I realized that this is a common trope.

:p
I mean...I get where you're coming from, but Coco wasn't designed to be a crazy or goofy character like her brother.

Naughty Dog envisioned her as a young adorable, brainy "straight man" sidekick to Crash who'd eventually replace the highly sexualized Jessica Rabbit-esque Tawna character (who's sole purpose was to be Crash's sexy trophy at the end of the game).
I honestly feel like her design is very appealing, and fitting for the character.
It's also pretty consistent with the rest of Crash's anthropomorphic Looney Tunes-esque world.

I sort of see where you're coming from, but I disagree with Coco specifically; she looks suitably cartoony to me:

ea0.gif

That's dope.
Coco ❤️
They really are putting a lot of love into this.
T.T
Never thought I'd see the day when a dev would care this much about Crash!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
With that said she shouldn't talk too much. I really hate how they turned her in Crash Nitro Kart.

"I'm totally a leet hacker guys, I will say haxxor and suxxor!"

How has anything that has been released looked like an "upscale job"? Upscaling is pretty damn obvious compared to a full remake. Where you been OP?

J-Skee

Day 1. Already got my pre-order in. Shoot, might even double dip for the digital as well. See you guys on the Crash 2 leaderboards. It's going to be sooooo gooood.

EVO

Holy shit. It's funny to think back to those early videos and all the "washed out" comments. Game looks phenomenal.

After seeing this, its wet my appetite for a DKC remastering of the original trilogy. Keep it faithful the the original art styles and level designs like Crash has, but give it that pre-rendered look and finish!

Donkey Kong Country:

Donkey_Kong_Country.png

sharkchase.jpg

Donkey Kong Country 2:

Ricketyraceimage65.jpg

hive.jpg

I remember staring at these renders as a kid back in the day. We need a Donkey Kong game with that style for sure. Hopefully Retro Studios 3D Donkey Kong game will look like that.

13ruce

Banned
Never played the original 3 crash games but still day 1 pretty excited to play through them. I only remember playing through a gba crash game and i liked that.

Unknown?

How is 60fps overkill? People aren't going to be like "ahhhhb this graphical smoothness and responsive control is too much for meeeeee!"
Wrong choice of words there but not the unnecessary part. 60fps in these games isn't going to help it really like it would Sonic. They're slow and it's not like at 30fps anyone will be like "ahhhhb this framerate is tooooo slowwww for meeeeee, I can't control it!"

muteki

Hopefully Coco is playable early on or from the start. I almost want to play a Coco trilogy more than a Crash trilogy.

Man, some people here, unbelievable.

Crash 1-3 were one of my favorite games in my childhood and had a special place in my heart since the 90s and it is still insane that they did a complete remake of not 1 but all 3 of them and sell it, here in Germany, for 35 freaking bucks. Not even 60, which would be more then ok for all the effort.
If I would not support a heartful and fair project like this, it would be a step in the heart to every good and fair project out there who still wants to give the community great things with love and passion for a fair amount of money without ripping the own audience off with lies and bullshit marketing​, dlc or pre order stuff or garbage microtransactions.

If I would not support a great project like this, as a gamer for over 20 years now, I could not look into the mirror again.

Even if it's poorly written in English, I think you can at least understand what I mean.

This trilogy truly is "insane" and they deserve every success and money that they can get, for the risk of doing this project, for the effort of remaking 3 whole games and as a sign for the future of this business that sometimes, a good and fair project can still be successful, on the normal way, just because it's good and respectful.

Kinsei

Banned
Hopefully Coco is playable early on or from the start. I almost want to play a Coco trilogy more than a Crash trilogy.

It looks like you unlock Coco in Crash 1 after you beat Papu Papu and she appears to be playable from the start in Crash 3. Hopefully you get her early on in Crash 2 as well.

Nev

Banned

Hahaha holy shit. Crash 2 is one of the best platformers in history. Step out of your fanboy bubble.

You people are freaking nuts! This isn't Sonic... 60fps in these games would be overkill and totally unnecessary.

Wtf? There's no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to fps, especially when you're talking about 60fps. Like, what??

Solid trollin' in this thread for sure.

Indelible

Already have this pre-ordered, the Crash games were some of my favorites as a kid. It is really cool that all three games have platinum trophies as well.

Erebus

I don't get all the criticism really, everything I've seen so far looks absolutely fantastic and I cannot wait to play this collection as I loved Crash back in the day.

I think Vicarious Visions has made an incredibly faithful remake to a game that released 3 console generations ago, people seem to forget that.

Could have been a lot better. It should look draw droppping if it was made by insomniac or someone.

It's a very linear game and isn't that impressive honestly.

Top Bottom