• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...what is Halo to you?

KORNdoggy

Probably the red vs blue series. And the old warthog jump stunt videos.

Besides the co-op i've never been a big fan of the games themselves.

Caffeine

for me it was the lore, art direction and music. each area you traversed clicked with the music playing for that section.

Raide

Halo is an ever changing series that tries to add new things for a new fan base, which the majority of the old fans hate and then bitch and moan about the good old days of Halo...Which was Halo 2 btw.

343 will keep adding new things to liven up a slowly fading FPS star, even if it will never reach those heady Halo 2 days. Maybe if the next one is Play Anywhere on Xbox and PC, then it might pick up more but the Halo days of yore have faded.

Defect

reach and destiny are evolution of halo gameplay not 4-5 .

Well thanks for confirming that you have no idea what you're talking about! Reach and Destiny are more like the devolution of Halo gameplay. I feel like I'm back in 2010-11.

Hell, Reach started the downfall of Halo and 343 only continued it with 4. I had no hope for Halo after those awful experiences but they surprised me with 5 feeling more like Halo than those two games and playing better than 3.

A formerly great FPS franchise that, due to bad design decisions and the sheer passage of time, has lost a lot of its lustre. A series that's close to relative irrelevance in the hyper competitive FPS market imo.

hsF9xGZ.jpg

Perfect sum up for me really.

LordOfChaos

Marty O'Donnels music. The sense of awe at halo 1, the sitting in a circle of friends of Halo 2.

Some of the better game based books out there in the Forerunner trilogy.

Halo 5, didn't care for where the story went at all.

psyfi

Banned
+1 for The Library being good

I hated it at first because I was so in love with Halo's amazing AI and methodical combat, but as time went on I grew to appreciate it as a totally different run n' gun experience. CE is the only Halo campaign I really love replaying, and I always look forward to barging through The Library again.

Halo is.............A game I use to play religiously when it was the only first person online game I ever played.

Once I discovered Battlefield and Call of Duty, I was never interested in ever going back.

I now play Destiny, which is what it seems like what they eventually wanted halo to be.

Erimriv

It was a great enjoyment, great lore, good games 1-4, great universe (books and graphic novels). Im just waiting for an Halo RPG, some kind of mass effect 1 inspired on the Halo Lore.

MTC100

Banned
Halo? Nothing special, Bungie is/was highly overrated if you ask me(however I only played the games as a pure SP experience as I don't care for competitive multiplayer in any game). I never understood what all the fuss was about and I am also quite certain, that the game would have been nothing special for anyone if it would have stayed a PC game instead of becoming an xbox exclusive. The console exclusivity helped the game greatly and also the Xbox itself, all the fairy dust is coming off though and reveals a solid yet not really special first person shooter.

I don't think it's 343i's fault the series lost most of its appeal, Halo should have just ended with Halo 3 on a high note.

Vinc

Open-ended, large scale with lots of room to breathe, at its best when it offers multiple approaches that create emergent gameplay situations.

Also beautiful music, sense of awe and wonder, colorful visuals, great production values, great characters, religious themes, and the famous "30 seconds of fun" gameplay loop.

I love that franchise, especially 1-3. ODST was a really cool side-game, Reach felt a bit stale but still cool, 4 got too much wrong, but it was good to have Chief and Cortana back, and 5 got some of the sense of wonder back and had the most fun gunplay of the series, but not much else was quite right for me. MP was cool but the overload of custom weapons and forge maps with their bland visual design kinda ruined the game for me.

Samikaze

A solid shooter with well built mechanics that revolutionized FPS console controls and laid the foundation for a Xbox.

-The story was simple, but deep enough to keep you interested.
-The combat was nothing more than a 3 second loop of toss grenade-shoot=reload-melee but that loop was so satisfying it lasted the whole game.
-The split-screen co-op wasn't revolutionary, but it was everything you wanted in terms of co-op for the time, (most games at the time gave you bastardizations of the story for co-op).

Still, it grew stale by Halo 4, and everytime I go back I get bored with it before I beat any of the campaigns.

I have real mixed opinions on the series overall, but Halo will always be first and foremost my brother and I playing Combat Evolved co-op for hours on end, having a blast.

jviggy43

Lan parties and co-op local multiplayer. Easily some of the greatest moments in gaming for me with my friends. I'm unsure if I'll ever get that feeling again.

Eblo

The only major Microsoft game series I'm aware of, and also perhaps the biggest franchise I've never played.

Truant

Halo felt fresh when Combat Evolved launched. It never got better for me. Microsoft have been chasing the dragon ever since.

tesqui

Halo is like 95% the first game for me. Not the original Xbox release, but the port to PC that added online multiplayer. It was my first experience with online gaming and it was mind blowing. I remember being really impressed by the idea of entering the passenger or turret seat of a warthog and having a REAL person drive that vehicle for me.

But yeah, most of the other games really didn't do anything for me. I'd say Halo 4 was the only other one that I really enjoyed because of how different it was from the past games. I really liked the way weapons felt and fired.

Bishop89

Just completely revolutionized not only the FPS scene, but the online gaming world as we knew it back then. Nothings special though, right?

If only the MCC was perfect without any glitches. I would have been extremely happy with that.
Yeah and it did that due to MS pushing online with their new console.

That's great what it "did" for the industry, but judging it in its own little bubble, it really isn't anything special. Decent campaign but console fps multiplayer has been done better

Compsiox

Banned
Honestly, they need to make a Halo FPS MMO. They can have multiplayer with classic modes (16-24 players) and huge battle modes (~64 players).

They would also have a campaign that takes place in a large world filled with players. 20 missions Day One and a new mission would release every week.

They would probably have like 2/3 large teams producing content.

Probably not very feasible but I want it.

NJDEN

latest

Halo Combat Evolved multiplayer map Gephyrophobia sums up what Halo is to me. Halo CE was my first real shooter on my first console as a kid. We played the campaign split screen style over and over for hours on end.

The architecture, textures, depth, and over all style of this map epitomize what early Halo was. The more recent games and remasters completely fail to grab the grandeur of the original game. Standing on the bridge and looking down into the endless fog, or looking up into the night sky filled with stars and seeing the massive gas giant, not to mention the Halo ring itself. The construction of the bridge is clean and minimalistic, with simple energy streams going from pylon to pylon.

The new games feel over-saturated, have obnoxiously busy textures, and exaggerated colors. I haven't played Halo since 4, and I still really like the franchise, but nothing will beat that feeling and look of original Halo CE.

edit*

Feel compelled to also mention the game's music. The franchise as a whole has repeatedly had stellar soundtracks, but Halo CE and Halo 2's soundtracks are some of the best instances of video games music to date. I have that shit bookmarked to take me back to a simpler time.

Strimei

It used to be what I consider a "popcorn" franchise, where I liked to read into its lore and stories when I didn't have anything better to do.

I say used to, because stuff since Halo 3 has turned me off it quite a bit. The whole "humans actually were an ancient space faring race" thing just...no.

FyreWulff

Basically. It was cool to have split screen and some other features 15 years ago, but it should have died or rebooted years ago.

The enemies and weapons are just too dumb to consider an adult fps.

the fuck is an adult fps, is that where you do your taxes after each multiplayer game?

Graphics
Open Levels
Warthog
Two Weapon Capacity
Regenerating Health

Multi-player
Damnation
Pistol
Shotgun
Rocket Launcher
Needler
Beam Sword
Sticky Grenades

That's Halo.

volgihn

Beloved franchise with fun competitive multi-player. Halo will forever hold a special place in my heart. As someone who has consumed all of the halo lore I absolutely love the story. I hope we see some Halo 6 at E3.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't think it's much of a secret that the past year hasn't been good for Microsoft. I'd be concerned if a forum wasn't worried about the future of Xbox.

If anything, I would say the past three months or so. Late 2016 was a good period for Xbox.

Anyway, I wasn't never a HUGE fan of Halo but I've always enjoyed the series. To me, it simply means "Xbox" as the series is unanimous with the brand. The series is currently facing a hard time. Halo 5 campaign was a mess in my opinion. Haven't played multiplayer much but the multiplayer is fun so it still does that well.

So I don't know -- I still care about the series but there are many other AAA series that I care about far more.

Top Bottom