• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what is the hardest boss in any video game ever?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
rCIZZLE said:
Does the XBLA one count? Also is no continues part of the game or is that an extra requirement for me lol.
You can continue all you want, but you'll be missing the point of the game and cheating yourself out of it's challenge and intricacies.
Also continuing resets your score, basically nullifying the validity of your run.

TheShampion said:
Yes, but getting score is determined by challenge. No one would of cared about Space Invaders if it was just about score. It was the challenge to get that score. Also, doesn't that pretty much leave out games like Strider, Ghouls and Ghosts, and beat 'em ups? What about arcade games that were unplugged every day so the scores reset? Are those games not fun anymore?
Getting a high score is determined by your understanding of the scoring system and your ability to experiment and learn it's tricks. Just getting to stage 3 in a game doesn't mean you'll do better than someone else who only gets to stage 2 but has a deeper understanding of the scoring mechanics.

And of course the games stay fun even if your scores aren't recorded for posterity. The scoring isn't the end-all-be-all of these games. The ultimate enjoyment comes from continuous self-improvement and mastering the game's mechanics and design. You don't get better by just pumping credits into a machine to buy your way to the endgame.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Hard Mode:

Boost Ball Boss
Spider Ball Track Boss

I can't remembered if i beat that boss. ( boost ball boss). .

rCIZZLE

Aigis said:
The price for Galuda2 on Amazon is pretty fair; it would probably cost the same on HMV JP considering the exchange rate + shipping. You could also get Mushihimesama Futari instead.

I paid $85ish for my copy last year at NCSX.

Damn that sucks lol. I was hoping for a ~$20 title. I'll probably get it but try through ebay.

luka said:
You can continue all you want, but you'll be missing the point of the game and cheating yourself out of it's challenge and intricacies.
Also continuing resets your score, basically nullifying the validity of your run.

That'd be like me putting the self requirement of no guide on a Souls game with no deaths. I just want the hardest game to even see the ending but I'm willing to try it on the hardest difficulty out of box. Nothing extra.

Mlatador

Banned
Yoshichan said:
My memorable moment with Emerald Weapon was when I beat him the first time without underwater materia... I beat him when the counter was at exactly 00:00 so when I got to the victory screen, the game crashed on me :lol So stupidly hilarious (though I did get pissed off back then, which is completely understandable).

What the... FUCK?! Thanks god, something like that didn't happen to me. First you beat him that close and then the game crashes on you - what the hell!
Well, I guess after the rage, your motivation must have been even higher to beeting him again, a la "all right, this time, no crashes will save you" :)

I myself got lucky. Very very far in the battle, I didnt have anthing to heal, to refill mana, spell and such anymore, I waited for yet another - and probably the last (out of four or so) - mimiked knights of the round spells [cloud was casting], when suddenly Emarald interruped my turn (I didn't even know that something like that was possible). He used that ridiculous super attack, where he basically just killed the whole party in just one go. I was like "Come ON!! please dooooon't" and then BOOOM and everyone was dead - except.... Cloud. For some fucking reason this attack killed everyone, except Cloud - and he was luckily the one who was casting knights of the round. Man, that was a cool feeling to see his spell animation and him unleashing the last and final knight of the round attack. The last swordstrike then brought Emerald to an end, and I was literally screming from excitment (into a nearby pillow, because I didn't want to disturb anyone ^-^).

Tain

TheShampion said:
Haha, turbo sensitivity? Thats a new one.

Alright, I'll bite, what about my conceptions of arcade games you find a misconception? Certainly fighting games are about competition (but even then, the rules were made complex in order to foster skill based play), but are not single player games pretty much driven by challenge? Do you not think that this encouraged harder and harder games?

You're right about the games having to appeal to a smaller market back then, but they were more driven by a specific balance in difficulty level than they were by ever-increasing challenge. Arcade games (Japanese ones, at least) needed (need) to be hard enough to please operators and fair enough to make Japanese arcade-goers feel like they could actually make progress in a game without resorting to credit-feeding. So they shoot for that balance with varying degrees of success. If there's a general trend in arcade game difficulty to be looked at, I'd say that the bigger games of the 80s were often harder to clear than those of the 90s.

The turbosensitivity thing, though, comes from all of this not really being related to how easy or hard Dark Souls is. Why is it a problem (your word) if the standards being used by some posters are years old? Why would this thread be limited to games released in the past few years?

rCIZZLE said:
Does the XBLA one count? Also is no continues part of the game or is that an extra requirement for me lol.

Oh man. If you want an controller breakingly difficult game, Get through R-type final on the hardest difficulty with the starter ship.

Hardest game I own by a mile. The "true" last stage is also one life, no continues, no matter what you had coming into it. screw up? GAME OVER. Back to the start of the game for you!

I've never gotten anywhere close without cheating.

BigJiantRobut said:
It might not be "hard", but does anyone remember that stupid optional boss in FFXII that had the highest health value of anything in the game?
Yup, Yiazmat. Took me about 6 hours to beat him. It's not quite as bad as it sounds though, since you can go save and come back and he doesn't heal.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
REIVLVQ9W4I01304012880294.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez1pRo1sywY

[edit]

1220 guilds were able to kill Ragnaros on the hardest difficulty (as of right now) while 16184 guilds were able to kill the boss right before Ragnaros.

Chamber said:
Dauragon C. Mikado from The Bouncer

Certainly the most frustrating for me given you fight that dude 3 times consecutively with him obviously becoming more of a pain each time and your brain dead AI teammates that just get in the way.

Dauragon isn't really that hard when you find out it's just easier to let him act before juggling him into submission. And that learning the hard way about Trinity Attacks is just a kick in the balls.

Mine has to be the Time Reaper on Brutal from Castlevania Judgment. That bastard is hard but beatable. I did it with Shanoa but it's probably possible with any cast member save for maybe Dracula.

I just gotta give my fuck offs.

Fuck You Hiruko from Shinobi. Possible but having all 3 scrolls on deck and using Raijin at the right time can take some of the sting off.

Fuck You Parace L'Sia from Arcana Heart 2 and 3. She makes Mildred look like a joke to be honest. Beatable, yes but you just gotta choose your spots.

Fuck You Hell Gaoh from Samurai Spirits VI. This dude is mad easy once you figure out how to stop that Hell Crusher from even happening. And Fuck Alpha 3 Bison while I'm thinking about it.

Fuck You Ballos from Cave Story. He is the new Mike Tyson. Damn near unbeatable. Understand that you can't fight Ballos straight up and that'll improve your chances.

Fuck You Magaki from The King of Fighters XI. He is the hardest boss in the series to me because there's no easy way to cheese him to death. You can but the setup to do it is so crazy it'll take a bit of luck. If not use a Continue Bonus to take the edge off.

Fuck You Giga-Desp 2 from Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge. G-D2 isn't hard but not trying to fuck what you need to do is. Add Real Mode to this equation and prepare to be pissed.
Don't kill Rola or die yourself. You get the best ending if you do. Because if you die once you can't bring back Mike on any subsequent continues.

Zertez

Gentleman Jack said:
C'Thun's ability to spawn tentacles midair, inside his stomach, and under the same player twice meant that even with perfect play, you had to dodge a lot of unfavorable dice rolls to keep key interrupters and DPS alive through all of phase 2, shaving your odds of success towards near-impossibility. No guild would have had that much luck in a single week.
I know, I was one of the guilds wiping on him night after night for weeks. Some attempts we could get him to 60 percent and others we could barely get him to 80 percent. It came down to pure luck, server lag and someones connection. We had to stop inviting members to the raid unless they had a super fast connection without any lag. Even then, luck played a huge part. Never underestimate how hardcore some players are though, I think a guild could have done it, but it would have taken maybe a year or more. Supposedly a few internal teams did kill him in his original state. He is definitely one of the hardest bosses Ive ever tried to kill. With all of the artificial roadblocks and bugs, it is tough to rank MMO bosses. After the patch of Cthun we dropped him that night. WoW has had a few roadblocks, but luckily it doesnt come close to all the blocks EQ had in place.

EQ was horrible about releasing a half finished expansions with bosses that could not be beaten and in the off chance you did find a way to beat the boss, the developers did not have a loot table in place. They released the expansion hoping to finish the high end raids before guilds made it to the zones, but they rarely finished the bosses. You were stuck with next to impossible fights constantly.

I have never played a game and said to myself "I will NEVER be able to beat this game" until I saw a replay download of Ikaruga.

And I'm ok with it.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
rCIZZLE said:
That'd be like me putting the self requirement of no guide on a Souls game with no deaths. I just want the hardest game to even see the ending but I'm willing to try it on the hardest difficulty out of box. Nothing extra.
You're looking at it from a different perspective. It's nothing like a self-imposed limitation to create challenge. It's the entire way challenge is structured in these games from a fundamental design standpoint. By buying your way through the game, you're basically allowing the game to play you instead. Remember they're not intended for play in a home environment, so you do require some self-control and discipline to get the most out of it. In an arcade you want to get a lot of playtime for your money, and if you're not good enough to get past stage 2 you are just going to waste your money as you'll keep dying faster and faster as the challenge continues to ramp up. Logically, you'd get a lot more out of it if you restarted and got a little farther the second time around. That continuous self-improvement is what makes these games so rewarding. Even stuff like Queen Larsa there looks totally manegable (sort of) once you can make it there under your own skill rather than relying on your endless bag of virtual quarters.

Besides, no one said "no deaths," just no continues. You have 3 lives, and you can easily get more my learning to score well. :)

MechaX

Personally, I think Parace from Arcana Heart and Magaki from King of Fighters XI are cheap as fuck fighting bosses for different reasons. Parace has a lot of "lol i end fight now" attacks but shitty AI. Magaki likes to turn a 2D fighter into a bullet hell shumup with massive, uncancelable, and sometimes invisible projectiles. Either way, I think these two take the crown in the fighting game genre.

Demi-Fiend from Digital Devil Saga is pretty fucking bad. Takes hours upon hours to get the pre-requisites of max stats and all the useful spells available. The boss likes to throw around an attack doing like 9,000+ damage in a game where the max HP limit is 999. Outside of cheesing him with an AI loop (which requires absolute perfection or else that 20-30 minutes you spent fighting him will go down the drain pretty quickly), the only "normal" way of taking him on is hoping one or more party members are in sleep status whenever he decides to use his ultimate attack. Plus, he continuously summons allies to bring the pain or to heal him to full health.

Hiruko from Shinobi PS2 is just hard for no reason. Unless you perfectly mastered the art of the tate system (and the shitty platforming mechanics), you are not going to do shit for dick against his screen-sized life-bar. And it doesn't help that his VA is horrendous.

Tain said:
You're right about the games having to appeal to a smaller market back then, but they were more driven by a specific balance in difficulty level than they were by ever-increasing challenge. Arcade games (Japanese ones, at least) needed (need) to be hard enough to please operators and fair enough to make Japanese arcade-goers feel like they could actually make progress in a game without resorting to credit-feeding. So they shoot for that balance with varying degrees of success. If there's a general trend in arcade game difficulty to be looked at, I'd say that the bigger games of the 80s were often harder to clear than those of the 90s.

The turbosensitivity thing, though, comes from all of this not really being related to how easy or hard Dark Souls is. So what if the standards are years old? Why would this thread be limited to games released in the past few years?
Okay, I'll agree with the balance of difficulty, but I do believe a big reason why arcades are dying (in Japan) is because they have become too challenging and complicated for their own good. Just look at the BENAMI games. They started off kinda hard, and now the only people I see playing them are savants that probably play everyday after work. I have never seen someone play go up to IIDX or Drum-mania that did anything less than amazing. The only arcade games that seem to be "thriving" are things like Taiko no Tetsujin, which is so much simpler than most music games now a days. But the majority of games I see in arcades are mechanically complex games like Street Fighter, Virtual Fighter, etc. and most of the time I see them empty while most people are doing purikura and mahjong.

As far as Dark Souls, it is a rather ambitious game that is rather hard. It is easy to say a game like Castlevania is harder, sure, but that game only takes six hours of dedicated playing before you can probably beat the game in like a half an hour. People never seem to take into account that the ambition of a Dark Souls (full 3D world with multiple completely different play styles and physics based combat) is so beyond most bullet hell shooters and fighting game bosses that it is going to be naturally harder for people than the last boss of Mushihimesama. You can totally play Dark Souls wrong and not know what you are even supposed to be doing, while bullet hell shooters and what not the challenge is obvious: avoid the bullets.

So yes, the nature of the challenge is different and therefore the standards should be different.

verdures

Anyone play any hard type patches? I'd be interested to hear about FFT 1.3 or the Ogre Battle Hardtype, and I feel like these should be part of the discussion too. Lately it's been fun to browse http://www.insanedifficulty.com and such, but I can't imagine putting in the time or effort to actually try to play through one of them.

iconoclast said:
Dodonpachi Daioujou Death Label's double Hibachi. Behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAqqR7ee1rs

Only one person in the world has beaten it, and it took him 7 years IIRC.

Futari 1.0 Ultra Larsa is also a candidate I suppose, since I'm pretty sure no one has beaten it. (The OP video is 1.5 Ultra Larsa, which has been beaten by several people.)
Holy shit. He has balls of steel. Daioujou to begin with is pretty unforgiving.

Johnas

Booshka said:
Fuck you Seath the Scaleless! And I can't get to back to my bloodstain.

If you're bloodstain is still there, you might be interested to know you can go back through that fog door once you're inside.

Zertez said:
With all of the artificial roadblocks and bugs, it is tough to rank MMO bosses.

I agree. I don't really think I like any of them being put on 'hardest bosses ever' lists since much of the difficulty stems from poor design choices than testing player skill against properly play-tested and tuned mechanics. It was clear in a lot of cases that Blizzard simply wasn't testing their bosses until Cataclysm came out and we were seeing Heroic Rag on the PTR.

I should probably post a difficult boss. Treasure built Genesis games that were nothing but boss fights strung together by corridor running. :D

BUrwK.png

Mmmm, Alien Soldier.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
I've seen a few guys in this thread say that the final boss of Shinobi on the PS2 was the hardest boss they've ever faced, and I don't necessarily see how that could be. I mean, sure, he was hard. But, even on super you could kill him in two hits with Hotsuma and one hit with Moritsune if you fully charged up your sword before you hit him. As long as you memorized how to dodge all of his attacks, then he isn't impossible.

JumpingTheGun said:
Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-1.jpg

Alma's first form. Ninja Gaiden. OG Xbox. I did manage to beat her (and the game), but it wasnt until 3am on a worknight back when the game first released. Toughest battle for me in gaming by far. Everything else has seemed pretty null and void since then. Coinidentally since then I have never touched another Ninja Gaiden game.

I've heard this countless times. Considering I quit playing that game during level 3, I will never know the true difficulty. That game was too damn hard.

Gentleman Jack said:
It was clear in a lot of cases that Blizzard simply wasn't testing their bosses until Cataclysm came out and we were seeing Heroic Rag on the PTR.

The original 40-man Naxx was almost perfect as soon as it went up (or at least I don't remember any significant changes - am I wrong?). Best dungeon ever.

AQ40 was an absolute mess, but I love it all the same.

I think Cyril in Star Ocean 2 was impossible for me. I'll beat him someday. Didn't seem to matter how leveled up I was, or that I crafted the best weapons, or grinded out lots of skills.

And then Gades in Lufia 2, when you fight him and you're supposed to lose: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KtiOySRl0g
You can actually win the fight and if you do you get the awesome Gades Blade which can be used in the ancient cave. I never won though. I believe the optional Egg Dragon is also super difficult if you don't exploit a glitch.

And someone posted this is a previous thread and I never forgot:
shaowebb said:

To this day NO PROOF has surfaced anywhere online that these things can be beaten. I gamesharked in max stat, max items, and I still lost...BADLY.

I challenge anyone on GAF to fight them and record proof of a victory.

Click image to witness their fury and a detailed breakdown of their abilities and tactics.

PS-No meteor strike and perfect shot won't work. You'll either die before you do it or die upon return before you go back out and thats at lvl 99.

You're already dead.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Gentleman Jack said:
I should probably post a difficult boss. Treasure built Genesis games that were nothing but boss fights strung together by corridor running. :D

http://i.imgur.com/BUrwK.png[IMG]

Mmmm, Alien Soldier.[/QUOTE]
I really need to make a concerted effort to finish that one of these days.

Zertez

Tuning raid bosses is tough for any mmo. They want to keep some kind of surprise and produce content for high end guilds, but at the same time, they need the help of the high end guilds to help tune the encounters. In most cases, high end guilds play at a much higher level than internal teams. High end guilds have been raiding together night after night for years in various games. Coming up with an internal team on the same lvl is very difficult.

If you bring in outside guilds, you run the risk of having them spoil the fight and then every other raiding guild knows how to beat the fight when the content goes live. Naxx 40 man was fairly tuned when it came out because it was tested quite a bit by high end guilds. It has been some time so not sure if it was live or on test, but Patchwerk, 4 Horsemen and Sapphiron all got patched and tuned down. When a game keeps the high end encounters secret, it is buggy and in some cases next to impossible to beat, but if you bring in guilds to test it out, high end guilds finish the content too quickly. I guess that is the balancing act mmo have to deal with, no matter how much content they add or how tough the encounter, players are going to finish it much quicker than anticipated.

Crazetex

Mama Robotnik said:
Of the games I have played, its probably Killalon from Lost Odyssey: Seeker of the Deep.

To beat him:

(1) be level 99 and max out your characters through insane grinding.

(2) delve to the bottom of the deepest dungeon in the game, twenty-six floors of the toughest monsters in the game, no save points.

(3) walk into his chamber and discover a giant fuckoff robot in a fantasy game piloted by the LO equivalent of a Goomba.

(4) begin the fight. Every round, he auto-heals more damage than your team can actually dish out with the most powerful weapons in the game. By the second round he casts immunity to magic, and in the third round he summons an asteroid that kills everyone.

(5) sigh.

How to win:

The only remotely feasible way of defeating him is by going in with 1HP, and using a bizarre reverse spell that dishes out a HP damage value that is (YOUR MAXIMUM POSSIBLE HP) minus (YOUR CURRENT LEVEL OF HP).

If you can do this for the entire first round, and through pure luck get a MISS from his attacks with at least three party members, then he will summon the superasteroid that causes instant death. If you are VERY lucky, this may MISS one of your team who can then resurrect everyone with low health and if you can hold out another round and his magical immunity wears off, you can use the HP damage spell again to defeat him.

Even maxxed out, at a point where you can kill the real final boss in a single round, this strategy only has something like a one-in-sixty-four chance of ever succeeding as it depends on the boss's manouvers missing you successively. The strategy was only discovered months after the game came out, I believe.

I've maxxed Lost Odyssey and all its DLC, but for the life of me I couldn't defeat this monstrous boss.

That just sounds like terrible game design.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Eaten By A Grue said:
I could not beat him when I was a kid and I still cannot beat him at age 30.

r0xi5d.gif

*cries*
One punch and you're down. just like that.

threw my controller at the wall every single time.

cj_iwakura

Also, Raidou Kuzunoha: Devil Summoner VS The Soulless Army has a thing called Devil Mode.

Raidou's attack power gets halved.
Enemy damage gets tripled. Everything costs seven times as much.

I'm not sure the uber boss is even possible in that mode. (Beezlebub)

JumpingTheGun said:
Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-1.jpg

Alma's first form. Ninja Gaiden. OG Xbox. I did manage to beat her (and the game), but it wasnt until 3am on a worknight back when the game first released. Toughest battle for me in gaming by far. Everything else has seemed pretty null and void since then. Coinidentally since then I have never touched another Ninja Gaiden game.
I was wondering if someone would post this. I played NG after it had been out for awhile so I knew going in that this fight was supposedly extremely hard.

When I started fighting here it indeed seemed pretty tricky, she does that spin thing to avoid most moves. However, if you hit her with just a plain ol' standing light attack (it was the X button on the Xbox) it always hits her. And you can do a combo that's X X X, just three simple standing light attacks off that, so any time she flies past you too close you can nail her for three hit. Doesn't do much damage but it adds up.

But, if you then do a rolling attack after the three hit standing light attack combo, you can continue the combo and Alma can't get out of it. So this boss that's remembered as one of the hardest ever can easily be defeated using an extremely simple combo. I figured this out totally by accident, but it was really disappointing and really funny to me. Maybe I just found a glitch or something, I'm really curious as to whether anyone else has ever found this or can try it. I definitely remember hitting X X X, and then the last hit was either a rolling attack or just towards+X. Ended killing her with a 50-something hit combo.

bumpkin

Parallax said:
Velius from final fantasy tactics. Everytime I beat him, its by sheer blind luck.
He's such a prick. I actually ended up starting my game over because I simply wasn't able to get past him and had saved myself into a corner; couldn't back out to grind more.

Speevy said:
Trying to melee every boss in Demon's/Dark Souls without exploiting.

Try that.

With the right status effects, I found you could get in the face of any boss and whoop his ass with Iron Flesh. None of them lasted more than 20 seconds against my Iron Flesh/Pyro combo. It would be harder with just the melee but I still think I could do it. I honestly felt like I was cheating doing this because I really suck at the combat in this game... if they nerfed Iron Flesh in a patch I'd have a real hard time if I replayed the game.

Kusagari

Ninja Gaiden: Black, on normal, is the most overrated hard game in recent years. The game gets easier and easier as it goes on. The hardest part of the game is the beginning levels when you don't have many techniques/items.

I beat Alma my first try and stared at my screen going "this is it...?".

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Speevy said:
Trying to melee every boss in Demon's/Dark Souls without exploiting.

Try that.
I'm melee in Dark Souls. Does opening a can of whupass with the Dragon King Great Axe special attack count as an exploit? Because otherwise I don't know what you mean exactly. Ornstein & Smough were my toughest challenge by far. Took me about 4 days to off those bastards.

larvi

Mama Robotnik said:
Of the games I have played, its probably Killalon from Lost Odyssey: Seeker of the Deep.

To beat him:

(1) be level 99 and max out your characters through insane grinding.

(2) delve to the bottom of the deepest dungeon in the game, twenty-six floors of the toughest monsters in the game, no save points.

(3) walk into his chamber and discover a giant fuckoff robot in a fantasy game piloted by the LO equivalent of a Goomba.

(4) begin the fight. Every round, he auto-heals more damage than your team can actually dish out with the most powerful weapons in the game. By the second round he casts immunity to magic, and in the third round he summons an asteroid that kills everyone.

(5) sigh.

How to win:

The only remotely feasible way of defeating him is by going in with 1HP, and using a bizarre reverse spell that dishes out a HP damage value that is (YOUR MAXIMUM POSSIBLE HP) minus (YOUR CURRENT LEVEL OF HP).

If you can do this for the entire first round, and through pure luck get a MISS from his attacks with at least three party members, then he will summon the superasteroid that causes instant death. If you are VERY lucky, this may MISS one of your team who can then resurrect everyone with low health and if you can hold out another round and his magical immunity wears off, you can use the HP damage spell again to defeat him.

Even maxxed out, at a point where you can kill the real final boss in a single round, this strategy only has something like a one-in-sixty-four chance of ever succeeding as it depends on the boss's manouvers missing you successively. The strategy was only discovered months after the game came out, I believe.

I've maxxed Lost Odyssey and all its DLC, but for the life of me I couldn't defeat this monstrous boss.

There are other methods of beating him that don't rely on entering the fight with 1 hp. I beat him using divide spell when my HP was high and reversa when it was low. It's been a while but I'm pretty certain this is the tactic that I used:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showpost.php?p=1773742&postcount=82

For some other ideas of tactics see here:

http://www.trueachievements.com/a20904/defeated-killalon-achievement.htm?showguides=1

According to the stats there 47% of the people who have the DLC have gotten that achievement so it can't be that hard.

Gentleman Jack said:
I agree. I don't really think I like any of them being put on 'hardest bosses ever' lists since much of the difficulty stems from poor design choices than testing player skill against properly play-tested and tuned mechanics. It was clear in a lot of cases that Blizzard simply wasn't testing their bosses until AQ40 came out.

Fixed; although results are mixed every time.

Make note what a Premonition finds "challenging" and "understandable", my guild would be brutalized by, and what we're cool with would brutalize a weak raiding guild, which in turn...

Top Bottom