• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what is the hardest boss in any video game ever?

rCIZZLE

Jive Turkey said:
Man you only play really easy games. Demon's Souls wasn't hard.

At all.

*sigh* I knew someone would say this. It's probably the most difficult series of this generation. I guess I could be hipster and pull a random NES game, though.

Mike M

Nick N
The last guy in Samurai Shodown VI was ridiculous. Even turning the difficulty to the lowest setting, setting it so I only had to win one round while he had to win five, I beat him ONCE.

I really suck at SS. I picked up the anthology for cheap since I always had a passing interest in the series, but it never really clicked with me and I never put in the effort to get better. Still! WTF!

Giard

13d.png

Dark Demon from Demon's Crest has to be up there.

Wallach

rCIZZLE said:
*sigh* I knew someone would say this. It's probably the most difficult series of this generation. I guess I could be hipster and pull a random NES game, though.

It isn't even close to the hardest game series of this generation. Give me a break.

Edit - It's plenty hard for a game that has found some success with the mainstream, mind you, but part of the reason for finding that success is that the barrier doesn't extend as high as "most difficult game series this generation."

Mupod

_dementia said:
Hiruko in Shinobi. THat dude was an asshole.

Damn you beat me to it somehow.

I made it to the last level on Hard in that game, thought about what fighting Hiruko would be like on that difficulty, then took the game out of my PS2 and never touched it again.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dauragon C. Mikado from The Bouncer

Certainly the most frustrating for me given you fight that dude 3 times consecutively with him obviously becoming more of a pain each time and your brain dead AI teammates that just get in the way.

linko9

rCIZZLE said:

Trust me, it's not. It's understandable if that's the hardest series you've played this generation, as most popular games these days are cakewalks, but there are plenty of challenging games out there if you're willing to look. Also, I don't understand your NES comment. Are you suggesting that people who bring up NES games on a videogame forum are somehow "hipsters"? That's a bit of a non sequitur..

rCIZZLE

linko9 said:
Trust me, it's not. It's understandable if that's the hardest series you've played this generation, as most popular games these days are cakewalks, but there are plenty of challenging games out there if you're willing to look. Also, I don't understand your NES comment. Are you suggesting that people who bring up NES games on a videogame forum are somehow "hipsters"? That's a bit of a non sequitur..

No I'm suggesting people always hate on the thing that's popular and since Demon's Souls has a lot of people calling it the hardest game people are quicker to disagree. If Demon's Souls was a relatively unknown game from an earlier generation and I brought it up I probably wouldn't have gotten the same response. Whoever quoted me was just begging for a response.

I can't really think of any harder current gen series. :\

Zertez

The Sleeper in EQ is definitely the hardest boss Ive seen or read about. You only get one crack at him. If you wipe, he leaves the tomb and you can not try him again, as far as I know. People had to wait years and for a few more expansions to release before they could kill him. He took over 2 and half hours to kill and upwards of 200 people. I dont think he was supposed to be killed, but eventually gear, new skills and spells caught up to him and he was finally taken out.

It all depends on how difficulty is judged or determined. If difficulty relates to the number of times that you die, I think the Souls games would certainly be considered difficult. If it relates to how long you are stuck on something without being able to pass it, it might not be considered super difficult.

Also, yeah, the hipster crowd calling the Souls games "easy" is one of the most ridiculous criticisms of this generation. Do you realize how easy the shit is that most people are playing?

Zertez said:
The Sleeper in EQ is definitely the hardest boss Ive seen or read about. You only get one crack at him. If you wipe, he leaves the tomb and you can not try him again, as far as I know. People had to wait years and for a few more expansions to release before they could kill him. He took over 2 and half hours to kill and upwards of 200 people. I dont think he was supposed to be killed, but eventually gear, new skills and spells caught up to him and he was finally taken out.

Let me introduce you to Absolute Virtue from FFXI. He originally had very vague spawn conditions. Not as bad as "one shot and that's it" but people didn't know how to do it so it was very rare to get him to spawn. But the developers eventually released more and more hints. Finally people could spawn it regularly, and still nobody ever got him below about 80% health. People would fight him for hours and hours only to have him use an ability that restored 100% of his health.

Fast forward about a year. By this time he had been fought plenty of times. One team beat him by exploiting a glitch where you could hide behind a wall where he couldn't damage you, but that was patched. Finally the development team released a video of them beating him, which supposedly "clearly demonstrated" a hint that players could use to expose his weakness. But either they lied or the hint was less than obvious because at least another year went by with people not being able to beat him. One team fought him for literally 24 hours and just made no progress at all.

This was about 3-4 years ago. I don't even know what the state of him is now, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to patch him to be beatable, but for years he was essentially unbeatable.

Keasar

FwzC5.jpg

Dead or Alive 4 - Final Boss

Fuck. this. woman. so much! She is the reason there are dental marks on my controller.

cpp_is_king said:
Let me introduce you to Absolute Virtue from FFXI. He originally had very vague spawn conditions. Not as bad as "one shot and that's it" but people didn't know how to do it so it was very rare to get him to spawn. But the developers eventually released more and more hints. Finally people could spawn it regularly, and still nobody ever got him below about 80% health. People would fight him for hours and hours only to have him use an ability that restored 100% of his health.

Fast forward about a year. By this time he had been fought plenty of times. One team beat him by exploiting a glitch where you could hide behind a wall where he couldn't damage you, but that was patched. Finally the development team released a video of them beating him, which supposedly "clearly demonstrated" a hint that players could use to expose his weakness. But either they lied or the hint was less than obvious because at least another year went by with people not being able to beat him. One team fought him for literally 24 hours and just made no progress at all.

This was about 3-4 years ago. I don't even know what the state of him is now, I wouldn't be surprised if they had to patch him to be beatable, but for years he was essentially unbeatable.

Not to be "that guy", but Absolute Virtue's spawn condition was known all along. Everyone knew he was a chance pop after killing Jailer of Love within days of the patch adding these monsters in. However, he was so ridiculous that people would leave him completely alone after farming Love --- it wasn't even worth trying him. Nowadays, with the level cap increase, he isn't hard to kill, but nobody ever discovered SE's "secret" way of killing him at 75 (it is widely believed that SE was just being stupid and it was actually impossible).

Tain

rCIZZLE said:

from this gen, off the top of my head, these games offer greater challenges than Dark Souls can:

Vanquish
Bayonetta
Ninja Gaiden II
Devil May Cry 4
Pretty much every 2D shooter that was released in arcades in the past half-decade (there are many of these)
The eight million IIDX games released since 2006

Dark Souls is very hard when you take into account how successful it was.

also why are you sighing on the internet

rCIZZLE said:
If it's not even close there must be a lot of examples.
Here are a few games that are much harder than either Demon's or Dark Souls:

Ninja Gaiden 2 (Path of the Master Ninja + DLC missions on PotMN)
Vanquish (God Hard)
Catherine (Hard + Babel (solo))
Bangai-O HD (completing every stage)
Lost Planet 1 (Extreme)
Mushihime-sama Futari 1.5 (Maniac, Ultra)
Mushihime-sama Futari Black Label (God)
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu 1.5 (Power, both loops)
Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu Black Label (Power, Strong)
Death Smiles (all rank 3, including EX stage)
Death Smiles Mega Black Label (rank 999, both EX stages)
Pink Sweets (1.00/Arcade)
Muchi Muchi Pork (1.00/Arcade, both loops of 1.01)
Espgaluda II

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Actually, statistically (and thus factually), pre-patch C'thun is the hardest boss of all time since no one managed to beat it.

LPPv8.jpg

It wasn't until three months later that Blizzard decided to patch it, because no one could ever beat it. So C'thun is the correct answer.

Tain

iconoclast said:

Vanquish (God Hard)
Lost Planet 1 (Extreme)
Espgaluda II

whoa, I forgot catherine

And quite a few others, I'm sure, should I choose to sit down and think about.

Wallach

iconoclast said:

Vanquish (God Hard)
Lost Planet 1 (Extreme)
Espgaluda II

I guess you could add NG Sigma on there since it came out on PS3. On top of stuff like this I'd add pretty much any roguelike that has come out this generation (Shiren, Dredmor) and some strategy games (SoaSE).

wonderdung said:
Pre-nerf 25 man heroic Ragnaros. Not even a contest.

Pretty sure it took them longer in time (if not pulls) for a guild to beat Yogg + 4 - it was that Korean guild that first did it I think. H Al'Akir 25 was tough to crack as well for more recent stuff, and of course, H Lich King 25 (pre-increasing buff) was pretty damn hard as well. And H Sindragosa was a cock block for a lot of guilds.

Those are just more recent ones though.

WoW is just good to pull boss fights from for these threads though, simply because there are so many.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Sir_Crocodile said:
not that bad with judicious use of smart bombs (clears away projectiles)

I've done it.
bomb your way to victory in 20 credits or less!

Josh with a J said:
ZOsug.jpg

Could never do it
EmSeta said:
Yes! I've beaten every mainline MM/X game to a pulp, but I just CAN'T beat this guy. It's insane!
Really? Not even with Zero? I thought the guy was only tough with X. Even with X the only tough part is the head on the left side - the trick is positioning yourself to force him to try blowing you into the spikes instead of using the rock attack.

rCIZZLE

Tain said:
from this gen, off the top of my head, these games offer greater challenges than Dark Souls can:

Vanquish
Bayonetta
Ninja Gaiden II
Devil May Cry 4
Pretty much every 2D shooter that was released in arcades in the past half-decade (there are many of these)
The eight million IIDX games released since 2006

Dark Souls is very hard when you take into account how successful it was.

also why are you sighing on the internet

The sigh was just to mean I knew it was coming.

Anyways, I was able to go through Vanquish and Bayonetta pretty easily without ever touching a guide, something I was unable to do in either of the Souls games.

e/ I beat both Van and Bay on the hardest difficulties they offered when I first bought them and then Bayonetta again on the first difficulty level you unlock.

iconoclast said:

Vanquish (God Hard)
Lost Planet 1 (Extreme)
Espgaluda II

I don't count higher difficulties since you can still play through the game in easier settings.

Why was Demon's Souls such a horrible choice though that I get treated like someone who has never touched a controller?

im not sure its the hardest boss ever (esp since some of these look close to unbeatable), but i think the final boss (and probably the penultimate boss) in henry hatsworth and the puzzling adventure is really hard. i never finished that game because i was tired of all the ridiculous difficulty spikes throughout.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
The 5 on 2 in the last mission of Armored Core 4A was the hardest fight of my life.

rCIZZLE said:
The sigh was just to mean I knew it was coming.

Anyways, I was able to go through Vanquish and Bayonetta pretty easily without ever touching a guide, something I was unable to do in either of the Souls games.

I don't count higher difficulties since you can still play through the game in easier settings.

This all day long. without a guide the soul games get ballbustingly hard.

I used a guide for DeS the first time through for most of it, and went into Dark souls completely blind (save for posting in the official GAF thread here and there).

It's far more satisfying, but you'll run into shit that will one shot you every five minutes. (hey, Tomb of Giants sure is dark....#@$@!) and god help you if you get cursed and can't break it.

rCIZZLE

iconoclast said:
Oh I see, hard games aren't hard if you can play on babby mode.

I consider a game hard when it's challenging to even see the ending. Did you guys just breeze through both Souls games without ever getting stuck or checking a guide? Because that's how it sounds.

rCIZZLE said:
I consider a game hard when it's challenging to even see the ending. Did you guys just breeze through both Souls games without ever getting stuck or checking a guide? Because that's how it sounds.

..even if that's the case it's EXTREMELY unusual. And even on NG, playing in human form vs. taking the easy way out and playing as a hollow are two totally different experiences. The most careful plans go straight to hell when another player as good or better invades and comes gunning for you.

The game is legitimately difficult, but in a different way than Ninja Gaiden or a bullet hell shooter are.

demosthenes said:
Pandamoenium Warden, FFXI

I felt so bad for the linkshell that spent 18 hours grinding him down to his final form, only to get Astral Flowed and all adds repopping at 75%. On the bright side most of them permanently quit that awful game on account of that episode. Lots of folks permanently quit FFXI after Absolute Virtue 1.0 too.

AAK

I'm going to cheat, actual enemies in games are all in this thread, but what about Human players in multiplayer?

jang_jang-2.jpg

Jang Iksu: Korean GOD at Tekken Tag Tournament

Characters: Heihachi Mishima, Jin Kazama, Kazuya Mishima

I could say Daigo, Justin Wong, Alex Valle, etc. but no other competitive E sport player has ever reached a level of dominance as this guy did with the Original TTT. The other names I mentioned were defeated at one point or another, but to this day this man has NEVER lost a major tournament. This man then went on a tour to Japan going into numerous arcades and challenging anyone who had a name for himself, and proceeded ripping through anyone dared going up against him. He is the father on modern Tekken as we know it first discovering the backdash cancelling glitch (which is now the foundation of Tekken gameplay as we know it) and gave birth to what we know as wavedashing.

This is the only(VERY low quality) vid I could find of his reign of terror in Japan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imh53CvWUmY

He retired remaining undefeated

iconoclast said:
Oh I see, hard games aren't hard if you can play on babby mode.

i definitely think the ability to play on an easier mode makes the game less hard in some sense, since there may not necessarily be a right way to play. then again, you could always grind the hell out of demons souls and make that a cakewalk also. so i guess the hardest games are those without modes and that dont become easy if you grind.

Zertez

cpp_is_king said:

I know all about Absolute Virtue. In its original state, people made progress on Absolute Virtue and the Sleeper wiped raid after raid with next to no progress. You could not do enough damage to the Sleeper before he wiped the raid. Several people ran numbers and it was pretty much impossible to do enough DPS to him before he overwhelmed the raid.

I dont think the developers intended for players to kill the Sleeper and Absolute Virtue was meant to be killed, but had several bugs/roadblocks. Pre-patched Cthun is definitely up with the Sleeper. The raid had to play perfectly with zero mistakes and even then a run of bad luck, you would still wipe. I think eventually a guild would have pulled it off, but it would have taken a long time. MMO bosses should probably have their own category though, because there is many outside factors that can make them difficult or next to impossible even though the boss may not be all that tough.

Tylahedras said:
can't believe no one has mentioned:

wiegraf.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O86nOBtLwM

It's like they designed him for a team fight then forgot to let you use your whole team.

Playing this game as a kid...I had no answer. Had to ask random kids at school and one finally told me about running away and using "yell" to boost speed. Took like 15-20 minutes of using "yell" to boost the speed high enough to have like 8 turns in a row. Never found another way to beat him.

Top Bottom