• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

J-Rzez

Zoibie said:
This may be the first game I get where I'll jump straight into the MP and just leave the SP for some other time. I loved the beta but the single player doesn't look all that fun.

That's what I did for Blops since I knew it's SP would be nothing but ridiculous over the top garbage. S4 would have had a chance with me with it's SP if it were like the more realistic SEAL missions from S1 or even S2. But they felt pressured to go Hollywood for whatever reason, so no thanks. They're not even really SEALs anymore. :(

Don't get me wrong, I'm buying this day one because it's MP is still SOCOM, it's still the best console MP experience, and we don't have any shooters of this style and gameplay feel this gen.

anddo0 said:
Guess I'm the only one who is remotely interested in the single-player campaign. The Gamespot review didn't seem too harsh on it. Also, 7-8 hours doesn't sound too bad, especially if you ramp up the difficulty. It's much longer than other MP focused games.

I stopped playing the Socom franchise about 3 months into the launch of S3. I got Confrontation as a bonus when I got the PS mic. I played maybe a round or two (post patch) and never looked back.

I was hoping S4 SP would be at least half way decent. Given the attention it received early on. It seems like they missed the mark.

I'm still on the fence (though I have it pre-ordred). The beta was okay. I didn't care much for the camera (too close) though I've read they fixed that.. This will definitely be a game time decision.

You're not alone. I'll be playing mostly single player and co-op. Shooters/FPS I don't understand as competitive games- they just aren't as deep gameplay-wise as fighters and sports games. The review scores of this game seem disproportionally low in comparison with the relatively minor complaints.

Miggytronz

*add to OP Please

Introducing SOCOM Pro: Special Game Types, New Weapons Included
+ Posted by Jeremy Dunham // Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

We’ve been keeping a secret here at Zipper Interactive – a hush-hush special bonus that players who purchase new copies of SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs are entitled to the moment they first play the game.
We call it “SOCOM Pro,” and you’ll first see mention of it when you open a brand new copy of SOCOM 4 on the back of the instruction manual. On that SOCOM Pro call-out, you’ll find a redemption code for use on the PlayStation Network that gets you… well, it gets you a whole bunch of super-cool things, really.

SOCOM Pro shows its benefits immediately on launch day, April 19, as any player who purchases a new copy of SOCOM 4 receives exclusive access to all “Pro” Custom Game queues. Not only will these queues be ranked, but they’ll also be updated regularly over the entire lifespan of SOCOM 4 – so it’ll be the gift that keeps on giving for quite some time. Moreover, the first set of “Pro” Custom Game types will be the same fantastic rule sets that our diligent fans tested during our SOCOM 4 beta period. If you missed them in the beta, here’s what they are now:

Community Day Classic – Suggested by members of Zipper Community Day 2011, CDC offers a medley of different maps that support 8-vs-8 “Classic” variations on Suppression, Uplink, Last Defense and Bomb Squad with faster movement and no ranged explosives of any kind

Last Defense Run ‘n Gun – Our incredibly fast-paced deviation from our Last Defense gametype that includes speedier player movement, reduced weapon damage, and limitations to sub-machine guns and shotguns only

SCRUM – A Suppression mod that offers a “Classic” rules-inspired list of features that includes no respawn, no Sniper Rifles, no Concussion, Poison Gas, or Frag Grenades, higher damage and faster character movement

Sniper Alley – Another 8-vs-8 variation on “Classic” Suppression that boasts higher damage values and weapon restrictions that allow players access to only Smoke and Poison Gas Grenades, Shotguns, and of course, Sniper Rifles

Another sweet incentive for SOCOM Pro players is an exclusive pair of weapons that fans have been clamoring for: The M-16 (for Spec-Ops) and the AK-47 (for the Insurgents) assault rifles! Expect to see those within the first 30 days of SOCOM 4’s release.

5621823417_d8af20062a_z.jpg

5622411678_4437304870_z.jpg

But these additions are just the beginning – we have plenty more planned for SOCOM Pro down the road including access to exclusive multiplayer maps, various co-op additions, dedicated leaderboards, and lots more. By the way, even if you don’t get a new copy of SOCOM 4 but find yourself playing it anyway, you can still gain access to SOCOM Pro by purchasing it from the PlayStation Store for a one-time fee of $14.99 (US) starting April 26.
We hope you enjoy the inclusion of our SOCOM Pro membership with all new copies of SOCOM 4 that will hit shelves April 19. Looking forward to seeing you reaping its rewards in game. Stay tuned to the SOCOM and PlayStation Blogs for future content updates!

GQman2121

Banned
So if you don't buy the game new you miss out on future exclusive multiplayer maps? I suppose that's a new take on the online pass promotion.

darkwing

GQman2121 said:
So if you don't buy the game new you miss out on future exclusive multiplayer maps? I suppose that's a new take on the online pass promotion.

BC2 already had it first i think, VIP code something

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
GQman2121 said:
Not really, Bad Company 2 handled it in a very similar manner. They locked a bunch of maps on the disc and then unlocked a couple every month and made them only available to accounts that had redeemed a VIP code. They also added a couple of exclusive new VIP maps sometime last fall.

demolitio

I'm glad to see the M16 return since the burst-fire scene is quite dull in S4 with only a few weapons even having that option.

I bought into the hype and spent the past week making a new forum for a clan I started up just to pass the time. This is one of the few games that makes clans matter whereas most other games just use a party system with a clan tag that's optional even though it does nothing. I'm glad they're keeping clans alive. :p

GQman2121 said:

Bunch of games have been doing this with exclusive access stuff for those who buy the game new.

Zoibie said:
This may be the first game I get where I'll jump straight into the MP and just leave the SP for some other time. I loved the beta but the single player doesn't look all that fun.

Hey, I like your avatar! *high five*

Greg

Alright, I think I have everything up to date now - cleaned some things up as well.

Just based on the flythroughs, a couple of the maps look similar... I was hoping for a bit more diversity. Port Authority is already a winner from the beta, but Rush Hour and Outpost look awesome.

As for the pro membership, it seems like a good deal considering I'll be buying it new at launch and it won't cost me anything for some new content. It'll be interesting to see if there's a point where content is released outside of the membership that everyone has to pay for though.

njean777

palpabl_purpura said:
You're not alone. I'll be playing mostly single player and co-op. Shooters/FPS I don't understand as competitive games- they just aren't as deep gameplay-wise as fighters and sports games. The review scores of this game seem disproportionally low in comparison with the relatively minor complaints.

The thing about shooters being competitive is that everybody is on a level playing field. Nobody has any powers or moves that are OP and that just destroy the game. Some shooters like MW2 and such were unbalanced due to perks or killstreaks, but most of the big MP shooters are balanced (Blackops,BF,Halo) that is why they are perfect for competitive play.

I did not include host advantage because I have never met a host I couldn't kill.

plainr_

Raoh said:
Socom Pro sounds like a good deal. I had no problem with BFBC2's VIP and I think this is fine too.

My only problem with BC2 VIP was the fact that I couldn't use those locked content on my secondary account. I really hope SOCOM 4 isn't like that.

Psykotik

I GOT MY COPY WOO HOO

30wxjyu.jpg

edit:

played a bit. can't seem to sync any trophies (seems like they're not on the sony servers yet or something) and MP isn't up yet (can't connect to the universe).

i'm on mission 2 right now, graphics are pretty good. so is the acting. almost uncharted 2-ish.

i'm playing with the sharpshooter on hard. it's manageable so far. been dying a lot though but probably because i haven't really gotten used to the sharpshooter yet. i'm liking it a lot.

Greg

Damn, I'm jealous. I'd love to get the SP campaign out of the way so I can hop on MP as soon as the servers go up.

I don't even have the game pre-ordered yet. I'm assuming if the DLC code is printed out on the receipt at GameStop, they're not going to run out.

Greg said:
Damn, I'm jealous. I'd love to get the SP campaign out of the way so I can hop on MP as soon as the servers go up.

I don't even have the game pre-ordered yet. I'm assuming if the DLC code is printed out on the receipt at GameStop, they're not going to run out.

If your talking about about Socom Pro then the Sony blog announcing it said the code will be printed on the back of the instruction manual.

Psykotik

there was a 45 MB patch before starting the game. patch 1.02.

i'm thinking there'll probably be another patch on day 1 with all the fixes from the beta because the camera looks like how it was in the beta before the patch (too close, can't see 45's butt). we'll see i guess.

Greg

weekend_warrior said:
If your talking about about Socom Pro then the Sony blog announcing it said the code will be printed on the back of the instruction manual.
Ah, no, I meant the code for Abandoned for pre-ordering from GameStop.

I believe someone mentioned it's printed on the receipt instead of inside the game case... or at least that's what I'm hoping so I can pre-order it the day of release.

Psykotik said:
there was a 45 MB patch before starting the game. patch 1.02.

i'm thinking there'll probably be another patch on day 1 with all the fixes from the beta because the camera looks like how it was in the beta before the patch (too close, can't see 45's butt). we'll see i guess.
They updated the patch notes topic on the forums today:
First Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.02
Release Date: April 19, 2011

Gameplay

• Increased XP requirements to gain “rank” levels
  • Lowered XP bonuses for “Classic” mode “Wins”
  • Decreased Weapon XP bonuses earned for “Kills, Assists” and “Headshots”
  • Adjusted “Classic” mode merit bonuses so that “Kills, Assists, Team Kills, Bomb Techs Killed” and “Data Carriers Killed” are the only bonuses that are increased by “Classic” status
  • Expanded “heal” detection area for teammate revive command
  • (Standard Mode) Suppression game length changed to 10 minutes from 20 minutes
  • (Classic Mode) Suppression rounds changed to 11 from 7
  • (Classic Mode) Suppression rounds changed to 5 minutes from 7
  • (Classic Mode) Uplink rounds changed to 11 from 4
  • (Classic Mode) Uplink game length changed to 5 minutes from 10
  • (Standard Mode) Last Defense rounds changed to 1 from 3
  • (Standard Mode) Last Defense minutes changed to 15 from 30
  • (Classic Mode) Last Defense rounds changed to 11 from 5
  • (Classic Mode) Last Defense minutes changed to 5 from 11
  • (Classic Mode) Bomb Squad rounds changed to 10 from 4
  • (Classic Mode) Bomb Squad minutes changed to 7 from 10
Weapons and Gear

• Increased firing accuracy for all weapons and views so that the first few shots are substantially more accurate (with variations by weapon)
  • Increased horizontal and vertical recoil while in Reflex, ACOG and Low Variable Scope modes
  • Long-range Sub-machine Gun damage has been tightened
  • Decreased maximum throwing power and lowered throwing angle for all grenade types
  • Fixed the display stats for the FDO-11 and IW80-A2 assault rifles to their appropriate values
Audio/ Visual

• Camera position has been moved back to show more of the player-character
  • Camera field of view has been widened by roughly 20%
  • Smoothed camera movements when changing locations in tight spaces
  • Updated “Vote Kick” user-interface so that it takes up less of the screen
Technical
  • Fixed issue that prevented Clan Challenge queue from properly working

Miscellaneous

• Made various PlayStation Move adjustments including latency reduction, less sensitive recoil countering, the added ability to pitch up while firing, and turn/ pitch tuning
  • Renamed PlayStation Move control schemes to “Standard Aim” and “Standard Arcade”

Second Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.03
Estimated Release: Late April/ Early May 2011

• Added center dot to targeting reticule
  • More to confirm…

Patch(es) TBD
Estimated Release: TBD

• Camera fixes that include even more “smoothing” fixes and a camera collision repositioning above the player character’s head
  • Mic system overhaul that improves UI, functionality
  • More to confirm…

Comparing patch notes, it looks like the patch for retail will be exactly the same as the most recent patch from the beta.

Pretty excited to see under the TBD section, "camera collision repositioning above the player character’s head" - that's going to be a huge fix and should solve any issues people had with the camera.

I hope they adjusted the requirement to mod your weapon a bit more, because after the last patch in the beta it took me forever to get even 1 mod.
I agree it was to fast before but after the patch it was to much, i'd like to see something in between.
Also i want to be able to adjust the acceleration, its way to much and it makes it to hard to keep on target. Any word on that?

W1SSY

Greg said:
Pretty excited to see under the TBD section, "camera collision repositioning above the player character’s head" - that's going to be a huge fix and should solve any issues people had with the camera.
This is exactly why I feel like they will get the MP game the way that it needs to be. I have sade it multiple times but I will continue to say it, Zipper knows how to work on a game after the release to make it better. Some may argue that they should release it right in the first place but it is hard to see what the public will think of the game before they play it.

In respect to SOCOM Pro atleast they didn't remove the multiplayer completely for people without Pro. They didn't remove functionality of the game but just added features for people with Pro.

Zipper has been great with MAG updates so I don't doubt they'll be doing a great job with SOCOM 4 as well.

Off Topic: Has there been any chatter about their next project?

Greg

Razor 81 said:
I hope they adjusted the requirement to mod your weapon a bit more, because after the last patch in the beta it took me forever to get even 1 mod.
I agree it was to fast before but after the patch it was to much, i'd like to see something in between.
Also i want to be able to adjust the acceleration, its way to much and it makes it to hard to keep on target. Any word on that?
I think the leveling/mod system is going to stay the same as the last beta patch. They said on the podcast they really wanted people to dedicate time to a weapon to get the benefits. The one thing I'm hoping is that all online modes are connected, so the weapons that you use in online co-op can mod and transfer into the competitive.

As for the acceleration, I don't think they've specifically addressed it yet on the forums. However, I think enough people have pointed it out on the forums that they know it's an issue.

Greg said:
I think the leveling/mod system is going to stay the same as the last beta patch. They said on the podcast they really wanted people to dedicate time to a weapon to get the benefits. The one thing I'm hoping is that all online modes are connected, so the weapons that you use in online co-op can mod and transfer into the competitive.

As for the acceleration, I don't think they've specifically addressed it yet on the forums. However, I think enough people have pointed it out on the forums that they know it's an issue.

They have said that co-op and single player will be connected but online wil be separate.

Also i just went on the official forums and apparently he(dunham) just posted this about 1. the camera and 2. deadzone and acceleration.

1. We're doing additional camera tweaks now; at the earliest the collision issues will be fixed in the second retail patch; at the latest, the third. But the idea now is to remedy the collision issues by moving the camera over your character's head; we're still refining it, though, which is why it won't be a day-one fix. Collision/ camera adjustments aren't quick.
2. Seth and I were talking about this today before calling it a day, it's a possibility for sure, but right now we're focusing on other stuff as a higher priority (like the camera), so less to report on that. I'd count on it eventually happening, though (by patch 3 most likely, maybe one more after)

Greg

W1SSY said:
In respect to SOCOM Pro atleast they didn't remove the multiplayer completely for people without Pro. They didn't remove functionality of the game but just added features for people with Pro.
Yeah, I think they handled the release poorly.

If they simply said "buy the game new and receive DLC down the road for free" there wouldn't be all this outrage. A lot of people are taking it as if the content that falls under the membership is part of the 60 dollars when you buy it new, but it's really additional content on top of the base game that you get for free.

Razor 81 said:
They have said that co-op and single player will be connected but online wil be separate.

Also i just went on the official forums and apparently he(dunham) just posted this about 1. the camera and 2. deadzone and acceleration.
Ah, that's a bummer. I was hoping I could mod weapons in co-op so I didn't have to play respawn so much just to mod weapons before getting into classic.

Good to see they've at least acknowledged the issue with the controls though. I agree that it's less of an issue than the camera, but it'll be nice once it's addressed.

W1SSY

Greg said:
Yeah, I think they handled the release poorly.
Ah, that's a bummer. I was hoping I could mod weapons in co-op so I didn't have to play respawn so much just to mod weapons before getting into classic.
I almost wish they allowed you all the first tier stuff and you could get better versions of the mod. All I really care about is getting silencers in most cases. The other things are nice but I lick the advantage that I gain from a silencer most.

Greg said:
If they simply said "buy the game new and receive DLC down the road for free" there wouldn't be all this outrage. A lot of people are taking it as if the content that falls under the membership is part of the 60 dollars when you buy it new, but it's really additional content on top of the base game that you get for free.

Why would anyone be bitching about it? As long as you buy the game new you'll get it for free.

Greg

weekend_warrior said:
Why would anyone be bitching about it? As long as you buy the game new you'll get it for free.
because they can't read/misunderstood what it's offering:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427551

Psykotik said:
i wonder if this only applies to the MP. SP still seems close up.
Yeah, I'm guessing that must be the case then. If the current camera tweak in MP introduced some extra collision issues then I'm sure they just left SP as is.

Wasn't really excited for SP, but that picture looks really nice.

W1SSY said:
I almost wish they allowed you all the first tier stuff and you could get better versions of the mod. All I really care about is getting silencers in most cases. The other things are nice but I lick the advantage that I gain from a silencer most.

Lying in grass and having 4-5 enemies almost trample you and then proceed to quickly shoot 2-3 of them (so they don't have time to see you on radar) and then get up and kill the last two is such a great feeling.

I personally preferred the FDO-11 and SFCR-HW assault rifles to the ones that could be silenced, and the KP5 was my favorite SMG for its fast rate of fire and high silencer.

It's also been my experience that people underestimate smoke grenades. If the enemy has control of for example the warehouse on Port Authority you can throw one at the entrance and a few further in and you will have a much better chance at getting in and shooting the enemy within from behind.

Raoh

Giriath_89 said:
It's also been my experience that people underestimate smoke grenades.

I use them depending on my opponents.

If a team of people are holding down a position and doing a good job of it, a smoke grenade in one location while i approach from another location will give the snipers and those in cover cause to move scope locations, the confusion can open a chance for me to sneak up on them.

or it can just freak them out enough to cause to make mistakes or even give up their position.

Irish

I really don't approve of the changes to the Classic time limits/XP gain. It's just going to turn into a massive clusterfuck because everyone is going to feel rushed.

Reading about Socom Pro for the first time now. I hope SCEE gets of their asses and announce it for Europe too. Why can't it just be the same as the American and Asian Socom Pro?!

eroots

I think I might like the shorter classic modes, cuz when I die real quick like I often do :) I won't have to wait around so long for the campers to get killed or for it to time out.. And, I'm sure if the change doesn't work out for the best Zipper will adjust it again..

Giriath_89 said:
Reading about Socom Pro for the first time now. I hope SCEE gets of their asses and announce it for Europe too. Why can't it just be the same as the American and Asian Socom Pro?!

It's gonna be the same content. Why would you think its gonna be different? makes no sense..

Single Player socom 4 player here, popped my cherry on the original and this is my first time back. Picked it up about 10 minutes ago and about to dive into some 3D/move socom. 42mb patch installing now.

Who wants the Resistance code? I don't do betas, to lazy to give feed back.

First too PM gets it.

CLAIMED razor81

Top Bottom