• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

Raoh

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Picked this up yesterday. I am by no means a huge socom fan so I mostly bought this just for the singleplayer. Yes I know that sounds crazy.

It is crazy. Best way to enjoy Socom 4 Single player is to just play through the missions and skip all the cut scenes. The game to me is just more satisfying without the cutscenes/story, just give me a squad to command and an enemy to shoot.

Shame too, I used to love socom single player campaigns with voice commands.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
So I just bought this game used and I have a questions:

My used copy still has the Pro Code on the manual intact. Is there an expiration date on this thing? Will the code still work if I scratch it off now?

And here some info about the patch

Gameplay
- Using the knife no longer silences footsteps
- Classic mode mic system has been changed from Tap-to-Talk to open chat
- Fixed Classic Bomb Squad double round win bug
- Reduced the accuracy of SMGs at long distance
- Grenade launchers no longer kill the user when fired at long distances or over a wall
- Reinstated weapon accuracy when quickly tapping fire button
- Several level collision issues have been adjusted

Party and Clan Systems
- Party leaders may now optionally allow party members to invite in other players
- Numerous Party system stability enhancements
- Numerous Clan system stability enhancements

Interface
- Player counts on map voting screens are now accurate
- Fixed round transition freezes
- Numerous UI element bugs have been fixed

More info at blog from Zipper

demolitio

Well, since this thread was bumped, I figured I'd spread the news about some DLC since I didn't see it yet. If it's been posted, disregard. This isn't the official announcement, but it has some news about what to expect and it's exactly what most of us knew was coming and have been waiting for!

Howdy,

Those of you who have downloaded the 1.05 patch will likely have picked up on most (but not quite all) of the content that will make its way to SOCOM 4 in the form of DLC. Yes, Demolition and four new competitive maps (which includes returning classics Bitter Jungle and Ruins) will be making their way to the game in the near future. There are also new player skins and some new co-op content as well.

Other details about the DLC, including dates, pricing, screenshots or video, etc. will have to wait until we make the full official announcement. That announcement, which will closely be followed by its release, is still a few weeks away. The content is in final testing right now, and while we're still waiting on a release date on our end as well, I can tell you that you should be seeing it sometime in October.

Those are all of the details that I can give you for the time being, but now you know most of what's right around the corner.

Two classic maps with Ruins being one of my favorites and Bitter Jungle being one of the maps that needed redemption after the framerate issues in the previous games and this engine is perfect for it! The maps aren't as cluttered from what I hear and there's not much of any foliage problems on Bitter Jungle so that's either good or bad depending on how you feel about people camping in bushes. I like the stealth gameplay and always loved maps with a lot of foliage, but the maps in S4 gave campers a huge advantage just based on locations of the hiding spots alone. I still like a stealthy option though even though I'm a rusher.

Billen

Banned
Was thinking about this game. Personally, I liked MAG as well as (yes) the last Socom thjat was released, which was my first venture into the Socom enterprise. I'd like some of your opinions on thhis game, negative as well as positive.

Raoh

From the socom forums, one persons enactment of a socom story for the long.live.play ad

SpaceGerbil1 wrote:

Boomer: "Michael had me stealth to Bravo, but instead I ran out directly into the open and got shot and killed. After we restarted the mission, Michael had me breach, frag, clear a room, but I got stuck on the door frame for 20 mins. He then shot me in the head to save me from my own ignorance. TO MICHAEL!!!!"

I LOL'd, a lot

CozMick

Banned
Demolition Map Pack out Tomorrow!!!

zpr_Roper said:
We have not made any official announcements that the DLC is indeed coming tomorrow and that it will cost $9.99 and that it includes Demolition and that it also has four new maps, six character skins and some new weapons. No, we have not announced any of that and I have no idea where you all are getting your information from. I mean, everything is going according to the grand master plan, right? Surprise!?

Sigh....

Yeah, it'll be out tomorrow. And no, regardless of the rather incredible number of information leaks, I still can't release any of the media yet. Although, it'll probably all show up on YouTube by the end of the day anyway...

Can't freaking wait, my favourite multiplayer of this gen and quite possibly the greatest game mode of the forever rolled into one!

Raoh

So now anyone can just buy one of the many unsold copies of socom 4 that comes with socom pro and get the dlc free? But I have to pay for the DLC?

I will continue to play the game, but I've spent my last dollar on socom and zipper.

Raoh

After much complaining I swallowed my pride and bought the dlc.

Its good.

The maps expose the early flaws of socom 4. Socom 4 original maps don't hold a candle to the old socom maps.

To make things better I also turned off exp messages, just a clean screen.

I think I'm going to skip BF3 and just stick with bad socom 4 and bad company 2 for a while with a mix of mag and warhawk now and then.

Rainy Dog

Handy to see this bumped as I just picked it up. My first Socom game proper (briefly played the beta and one of the PSP iterations). I'm just not feeling the two big FPS's this year so thought I'd give this a shot since it's cheap enough now and I'd been considering it for awhile. Always preferred third person too so hopefully this and U3 can be my go-to MP games for the time being.

Single player was quite enjoyable, especially the stealth missions. Also liked being able to assign orders to my squad and working out when and where to deploy them really was integral to getting through some of it. I think it looks very solid too, excellent even, at times.

Hopped onto the MP last night and sunk a few hours into it, enough to get a couple of weapons up a mod or two. Can tell that it's definitely something I could really get into but man was the experience humbling! I'm not the best online player but I got absolutely leathered right from the off. Any tips for beginners? Obviously I need to learn the maps first and foremost, and I'm definitely sticking to respawn before even daring to venture into classic modes if you don't mind :) But anything else that'd help me get off the ground such as weapon choices, which modes for easing into it etc? I grabbed the Demolition DLC and that seems to be my favourite mode initially.

Rainy Dog

AgentOtaku said:
Thanks!

Does this have a online pass or anything of that sort?

I think it has a Pro Pass in the US, for free access to most of the DLC. But I believe you can still play online without it.

JLG-

AgentOtaku said:
Thanks!

Does this have a online pass or anything of that sort?
Nope. You can play online without needing any sort of code. There is DLC available though the main one being the Demolition DLC.

Just picked up the game and I'm enjoying it so far- well until the horrible stealth mission in the shipyard. Please tell me there aren't many more like this!

Up until that point I was having fun, ordering my guys around. Also Move/Sharpshooter support is pretty nice.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm getting this game this week; it's already in the mail on its way. I'm mainly getting it for the single player, but does anyone still play this game online? Was hoping to jump online for a few rounds when I get a chance.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I played it in March/April and I got full lobbies every time I searched for a game. Unfortunately, the SOCOM community is not very friendly to newcomers...

LOL, well that's...something. At least I'll be able to get a few matches going to see how it feels to get stomped.

Game 1- Get camped, go 1-8, earn -20 XP.

Game 2- Join Co-op game, loading screen for 5 minutes, have to restart PS3.

Game 3- Join MP game, after loading forever loses connection before it starts.

Game 4- Can't find any Co-op games, try to start my own, loading screen for 5 minutes, PS3 locks up.

Glad this only cost me $5.

Game 1- Get camped, go 1-8, earn -20 XP.

Game 2- Join Co-op game, loading screen for 5 minutes, have to restart PS3.

Game 3- Join MP game, after loading forever loses connection before it starts.

Game 4- Can't find any Co-op games, try to start my own, loading screen for 5 minutes, PS3 locks up.

Glad this only cost me $5.

Co-op was never that popular, always had trouble finding a game.

MiKeD

Banned
They gotta give it one more shot, no?

Although I'm afraid they might think the classic Socom gameplay (like central camera without a cover system...) would feel outdated nowadays and they don't wanna risk it.

plainr_

Prior to Zipper Interactive’s closing last year, it appears that there was additional DLC for SOCOM 4 that never released. One of our forum members, Stealth, ran across a portfolio site for a former Senior Environment Artist for Zipper Interactive that featured images of the infamous Foxhunt in high definition. At this time, we are not sure if there were additional maps planned as well, but below you can see the stunning images of “Foxhunt HD” below courtesy of Ryan Sanders.

The obvious question on my mind is, what else did Zipper have planned for the SOCOM franchise? Even though a large majority of the SOCOM fanbase did not enjoy SOCOM 4′s game play, just seeing our beloved classic maps remade is a nostalgic drop-kick to the face. Maybe one day our fanbase will see these great maps reborn on a title better suited for the hardcore community.

CvFfV3c.jpg

IoAqjiz.jpg

hDShDeJ.jpg

via TheRealSocom.com

http://therealsocom.com/2013/04/09/foxhunt-unreleased-socom-4-dlc/

My god it's beautiful. My all time favorite map in High Definition. I like the fact that they recaptured the very small draw distance. A limitation of the PS2's hardware but also what made the map so good and balanced.

D23

holy shit, oh man the memories of foxhunt

gotta love proning in one of the grasses and picking ppl off with my sniper!!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No idea if anyone still cares about this game, but I thought I'd give it a shot and now it looks like I can't even start the game because it's trying to download a patch.

Searches have said that a solution is deleting game data... but the problem is that there isn't any game data to delete (from the game data utility anyway). Does this mean I basically can't play this game without formatting my PS3?

Top Bottom